A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

at the end of my rope - annynon

Posted: Aug 08, 2010

I am just sooo depressed and under stress that I can no longer stand it. Backtrack to a year ago, moved into an apartment that I absolutely fell in love with and here in South Florida (Miami area), was "affordable" at $800 a month, but having to pay utilities. (I basically had an enlongated card table and a desk chair and a 19" TV, which was a gift in my living room, queen sized bed and no dresser when I moved in.

At that time, I was working for a wonderful MTSO -- no VR, straight typing and was able to pay rent on time, as well as utilities and no car payments -- I dont have a car and with the craziness here in the Miami area, not sure if I want one :)

Fast forward to May -- rent paid everything paid -- money in the bank and my MTSO was killed in a car accident; rather than continue with the company it was dissolved since she basically was a "one-woman show." Of course, I started the "job hunt, too many tests to even consider and getting frustrated. I accepted a position with "the company that has to deal with eyes" and am still on QA with them, making a paltry salary and having to deal with 99% of their reports (on a new account) being VR. I am in my mid 50s, and finding that while I can still type, the keyboard commands they want us to use are "somewhat impossible;" i.e. alt+: to insert a colon. I find it much easier to use my mouse, but of course, this company, like many others expects so many lines per hour doing VR and like some here, I think there are people who feel that it is just quicker to type the report. We as MTs have turned into the "donkey having the carrot dangled in front of us," and frankly, I am sooo tired of this profession. I would love to get out but turning 55 soon. I talked to a disability attorney about a condition that I have had since birth, and his response was "well if you can sit and type for 8 hours, then no disability, but if you end up with a backache and arthritis, its a different story."

I am a single woman and while I have someome that is in my life, however, he ran into circumstances with his job, where he was laid off because of paperwork not being properly submitted (government contractor) and fired because the paperwork that he needed to work still had not gone through. His credit went down the tubes as a result and he is now, having to pay almost $400 every 2 weeks to the credit card company that he had been making timely payments on -- his credit went from perfect to crap and of course, we MTs will soon be the new "Billy Goats Gruff;" in the sense that WE will be the ones living under the bridges.

I watched a show the other night regarding China -- they are "crying now" for workers over there -- a supervisor that they showed had a wife, and 2 children --he had an apartment (2 bedroom -- paid for, they recieved "food stipends" (thinking food stamps) and he still made $400 a month. Try living in ANY major metropolitan area here in the US for that.

I get very tired of people who make the comment of, "well just move." If you have a spouse or someone else in your life, it's not that easy. If you have children, its even harder -- your uprooting a whole family. I guess I look at this way -- I have a laptop if I can get a connection "under my bridge," I can still work. All I ask that that there are those of us who have really fallen on desperate times -- I have been from one end of the spectrum to another and NEVER judged a person. I really am at the point, where I have prayed and asked that I don't wake up the next morning. I have family, but circumstances are difficult for them as well, both financially and personally.

Anyway, thank you for letting me get this off my chest and hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day.

I feel like you are writing my story too... - losing hope here

[ In Reply To ..]
My heart really goes out to you. I can identify because it sounds so much like the position I am in. I am older though at 62 years, single, no children, no significant other (and that part is fine by me). I really used to love my life, but now I have finally come to the realiziation or acceptance if you will, that things are just not ever going to get better financially wise or health wise either.

My life changed drastically almost 2 years ago when I was lucky to survive a very serious auto crash. Had many facial fractures (of which I had surgery for), visual problems in one eye in which I have to type and/or read with that one eye closed. Reading is my most favorite thing in the world. Broke my ankle and heel and will never walk normally again. I do not feel sorry for myself in that way, in fact, felt grateful that I have survived such an ordeal and live to tell about it and have more gratitude than ever. Financially though things just keep going from bad to worse. There is no let up. After I crashed my car and rehabbing for about 6 months to get back to some normalcy, I have lost independence in that I do not have a car and that is the biggest thing that depresses me. I feel like a prisoner in my own home (small apartment). I cannot afford a car and I have driven forever. I have COPD and that is getting worse, some of it by own doing (if you know what I mean), so not much stamina to even get dressed and take a bus to get places such as shopping, doctor and the like. I have not had health insurance for 2 years due to loss of a really good in-hospital job. I could not afford it at my current job so I passed on that, and have now had 2 ER visits just since this April. I have to pay out of pocket for everything, and make just an "inch" over the amount to qualify for help, plus our governor cut everything for the poor anyhow.

Recently went from full time with my MTSO to part time less than 2 weeks ago which was my choice, but now they are running out of work all the time. I needed that extra time for "myself," you know, to kind of claim some part of "my life" as a person who is more than their work. Now today I have run out of work twice and here I sit, just numb with everything. Why can't these MTSO's be honest with us at least is my question. They let me go part time but they are still hiring as I have seen their ad on another site. Are they really that "greedy," really making that much money for themselves with no regard for those of us doing great work for them, good work ethic, 99.8% QA. Am I only worth 3.5 cpl after doing this for over 25 years.

I just needed to write this and could certainly write more but needed to talk to someone, even if it is this MT board. I wish I could offer some solutions. I try to bolster myself up all the time, but sometimes one needs more than just saying the serenity prayer more times than I can count. Accept the things you cannot change, change what you can and have the wisdom... oh, what I wouldnt do for a little money to go along with all of that wisdom! Don't give up, as we are still on the journey of life and the bright light in my soul says it just has to get a little lighter my friend.

I have nothing to say except I will keep you both - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry you are going through such tough times.

me, too - what she said. n/m

[ In Reply To ..]

To Losing Hope and Annynon - MTPockets

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't give up! How about getting your own clients? With your years of experience and work ethic you shouldn't have any trouble getting some private doctor offices or clinics. If transportation is a problem (as it sounds like) then get a digital system where the docs can just record in your system and you can send the work back over the internet.

Don't give up. The MTSOs have sold us out, but let's beat them at their own game - let's get the American doctors to keep their work in our hands and bypass the greedy MTSOs.

I have been in this "profession" for 35+ years myself and have seen what MTSOs and AHDI have done to us. It is time for us to take it back for ourselves.

what do doctors/hospitals/clinics pay MTSOs - per line?

[ In Reply To ..]
At least the providers get a guarantee of great TAT with the MTSOs. If we went to providing service directly, we would have to 1) not push the cpl too high, and 2) work 20 hours a day some days if the volume got high. (Or hire our own PRN.) No more "Sorry Dr. Smith, there were so many tapes, it's just taking me a while to get through them." In other words, no more "only got 2 hands-- only human-- can only do so much at once." What could we offer them more than an MTSO? Lower cpl? The ethical advantage-- employing someone local. They don't want to waste money on transcription, but providing a job to a good person, with a good (modest) wage-- every healthcare provider understands the beneficial ripple effect of providing allied health and support jobs. I would like to "take it back for ourselves," not sure where to start. Focusing on getting more and more cpl, though, has got to go-- it created too much of a backlash. Gone are the days of feeling satisfied for superefficient word expanders that let you do megawork in mini-time, and getting megabucks. (That doesn't include all-- but a lot of former ICs.) Back are the days of working hard and staying up till 2 AM to get the work back to the office by 7:30 AM. Back is the satisfaction of working for a Real Person. Back are our JOBS.
EMR, VR and MTSOs - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
In my post above, I am assuming that MTSOs are the *only* factor that has pushed us out of working directly for healthcare providers. Of course, there is also EMR (the biggest thing for most private practices) and VR in hospitals. I wish there were a study to show exactly how much VR has impacted transcription jobs. In my experience, the hospital gets VR in hopes of increased production and lower cost, and if it doesn't happen naturally, the management then PUSHES to make sure it happens. The local hospital reduced its transcription workforce by about 10% after implementing VR (firing for bad behavior, not replacing a few who quit for sickness or accidents). They say that it's still overstaffed, but they are not laying off; just running out of work, taking PTO, flexing off, etc. etc. Waiting for the transcriptionists to retire. We can perhaps compete with MTSOs, but the job-shrinking effects of VR and EMR will still make this a smaller field than it was.

Don't give up without a fight they say - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Well ladies, I am right there with you 100%. I constantly have a knot in my stomach, am constantly putting out fires (paying the bills before disconnection notices) and trying to find a place to call home work-wise after my last place of employment issued me a check which was handed back to me with "return to maker." Feeling this vulnerable, and being a single income family is way more than I can take. I finally have decided to quit watching the news because of the stress it causes me - and helplessness, causing me to be unable to even sleep fitfully because I feel this country is in a crash & burn status and out of control of even the politicians (both sides).

Just wanted you to know you are not alone. May you find peace somewhere in your day, a place of tranquility to rest your weary souls.

Thank you and all you wonderful ladies... - losing hope here

[ In Reply To ..]
Funny how one day like yesterday where I felt I just had to pour my heart out so to speak makes me feel a lighter load today.

As I get older I know that I am just learning really to just go with the "flow of life" and really just take it as comes, not being reactive to everything like I once way.

Today for example, I slept later than usual (okay as there is no work anyhow) since I went part time and that schedule is weekends. Got up, ground some beans and had 2 wonderful cups of coffee, put some smooth jazz on the radio low and began reading the novel taht I am so engrossed in, called "The Help." I just cannot say enough about books can you? This is my 2nd book that I am into just since going part-time and it truly is an adventure. This particular book has been on the NY Times bestsweller list for close to a year and just bought it recently along with a few others when I was fortunate enough to receive a $50 gift certificate during MT transcription week, so I splurged!!! This is a treasure not to be missed. I found myself smiling, laughing outloud, crying and just basking in the day. Yes, I am a "lover" or words, hence my handle is lindawordlaldy.

Cheers to all!!!

To losing hope here....it sounds like you had - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
a lovely, quiet morning. I have read "The Help" and it was wonderful! Still keeping you and the OP in thoughts and prayers!

I feel for you, but - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
if you are ready to "not wake up" and leave your family that way, be willing to move away to find work. Consider other kinds of work too. Be strong, determine that you WILL make it, and get over this hump. Set the example your family can be proud of and emulate in hard times they may fall on. Life is tough. I've been at that point.

Similar Messages:

At The End Of Rope Seriously...
Jul 16, 2013

Ready for work today, another threat to my team about termination for various reasons. I am not going back to work today. I cannot afford to never go back in general but I have finally reached the end of my rope. I am not going in and depending on resumes sent out and tests taken I may never go back at all ever. I don't know if I am about to cut my nose to spite my face but they took away bonus recently with 100% no blank, all QA acct, and various threats, today was a bad day for them to o ...

I Am At The End Of My Rope.
Oct 04, 2014

I am so at the end of my rope because of the horrendous quality of the ASR. As I have said before, and really want to voice to everyone higher up than me, IT should be ashamed of their work. What the heck? After years of work, I am correcting the same things over and over and over. And, it is not because of the transcriptionists' editing based on what I see when I look up patient reports, which they claim is the problem. My blood is now boiling every day as I work. I (we) shou ...

At The End Of My Rope….
Aug 15, 2012

Just venting……..I am so bummed.  I was doing so well a couple of years ago.  I was working as a Radiology Transcriptionist for six years for a very, very large radiology facility, two days in the office and the rest of the week from home in the evenings.  Then they went to VR, but kept me on because the some of the docs were not complying with VR so those reports had to be typed and in addition I was doing editing.  I was making good money and was able to put aw ...

Oracle. End Of My Rope. Huge New Account, 70 MTs?
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone else one of the new hires?  Are you on the new huge account?  I've been twiddling my thumbs now.  Guess I need to apply elsewhere.  I had been told before it was a good company, but I need to be actually typing. That really is a lot of MTs to hire and then not have the new account begin.  I read, below, someone said it keeps being delayed. ...

End Of My Rope. Hate My Job, Hate What Has Become
Feb 18, 2014

of the medical field in general. What happened to all the American doctors? Has it become so blasted easy for foreigners to come over and get a job as a doctor or are Americans so damn-ass lazy that they don't want to get the education? Or is to so blasted expensive that no one can afford to become a doctor unless you are a foreign student? So freaking sick and tired of all these foreign dictators who speak so fast and sloppy. What the heck is going to become of our health care when we can& ...