A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Why are some QA people so snippy to everyone? - Just my little vent today

Posted: Jan 26, 2010

Some, not all, QA people need to realize our frustrations are just as great as theirs.  That's why the report is sent to QA in the first place!!  I realize they may tell the same MTs the same things over and over again, but they should keep in mind that is not always the case, and people do have feelings and manners.  Some QA people develop such attitudes that they really should consider another line of business.  If you send me e mails that are so generalized that I do not know what you are talking about, I am not likely to answer them because when I question them, often I do not receive a reply anyway.

Oh, and please and thank you goes a long way.  Just sayin......

Couldnt agree more! The QAs where I work are so - Zircon - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
that I start to get tense just sending a report to QA! And most of the time, their snotty little remarks and emails do nothing to educate me (usually out of context, so you don't really know what you did wrong), and serve no other purpose than to annoy.

once I got a criticizing email, pointing out errors that - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
should not be made. It was a rather long one and I did not know that it was a blanket email, so I took the time and answered that there must be a mistake since I don't do these mistakes, and I was rather upset. It took me quite a while to type this up.
The QA just answered. "I did not mean you! But read it anyways."
Duh? From that moment on I just ignored them.
What I noticed, the less contact one has with the management and all the higher-ups, the better.

QA staff have a necessary and thankless job, but I have one pet peeve - that makes me see stars. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't stand it when QA makes a correction and states, "the dictator clearly says...." What's clear to QA is not always clear to the transcriptionist for one reason or another, and that's a very demeaning statement to make.

Right, and also when I type: Patient is in for....sm - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
an QA sends feedback, 10 lines long...

"This is verbatim. Dictator "clearly" said 'THE patient... Please, try to concentrate on these little words, like as, in, the, on, etc...and on and on...

Were it really THAT clearly, wouldn't I have heard it?

Some Drs. prefer to start with "Patient...

What difference does it make, anyways, I bet the doctors do not care if it is with the or without the.

And when the order gets changed when it makes - no difference whatsoever

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember a "ding" for putting "no clubbing, cyanosis or edema" (that was in my expansion" when the dictator said "no cyanosis, clubbing or edema." I am sorry, but come on. It did not change the meaning at all and it was a waste of time for QA to mark it or for me to review it. The dictator almost certainly would not even notice something like that. Some QA people are great and I have had a couple that send me feedback in order to increase the line count even! (Thanks to those!) But I have had the ones that can not give feedback without some kind of snippy remark, the "verbatim" issue, etc. And I know what you are saying! I get some back where I listened to something repeatedly and was happy when I figured it out after considering all the normal possiblities and then get a snotty remark from QA along the lines of "the dictator clearly said" and then changed it to what,to me, they clearly did NOT say! I just leave these now and figure if the dictator catches it and has an issue, I know where the blame needs to go and don't worry about it. Irritating though.
I think most QA people are great, but for those who do have the attitudes and are determined to share with MT's~FYI~ we have a tough job as well and would appreciate a little common courtesy when addressing us and we will do the same for you.
I totally agree with you! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
You lost me there. Order shouldn't be changed for - no reason. Thats crossing a line. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
The doctor shouldn't change the order! Because - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
if the QA insists on the VERBATIM, then the MT has to change the order to what the doctor said, but the MT has in her expander the "usual" order. So she has to delete her expander and make the Dr's weird order manually. Takes a lot of time!
Doctor should dictate in the "usual" order, not turn it upside down.
I agree! It is a total waste of time for everyone - MTwithheadache
[ In Reply To ..]
involved and it does not change the meaning AT ALL. It would be crossing the line if the meaning were changed, but here is clearly is not. To me, this is just over-the-top silly, IMO.
I'm sorry, I read too fast, it's the other way around, - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
but still, they could let it go through, did not change the diagnosis at all.
Most of em think theyre pretty big fish in their little - MT ponds. Trying to boost their own egos. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
I probably shoulda clarified that by typing "QA" ponds - instead of "MT". But you get the idea. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Absolutely correct. - Erin
[ In Reply To ..]
You hit the nail right on the head! Some are simply neurotics on a power trip who do every bit as much harm to MTs as do the greedy MTSOs. They should be strictly monitored and any snippy, condescending neurotics playing would-be ''school marm'' at the MTs expense should be written up and, if they do not learn, they should be let go.
They seem to forget 1 little detail: If we didnt make - mistakes, they wouldnt have a job!
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
but isnt that the point, they HAVE to find something wrong so they keep their jobs - MTPocketsTYMT
[ In Reply To ..]
how else would they have jobs? people come up with a lot of wild things to survive in an economy that is doing so poorly. look at HIPAA. hasn't that created just a whole bunch of new positions and raising lots of money for classes and books.
WOULDN'T HAVE A JOB??? - EagleEye
[ In Reply To ..]
I beg your pardon??? I am a "QA person" but the company that I work for also requires me to still be a transcriptionist and type reports just like you do when the QA work is low. So, I would have a job one way or the other. I am not trying to be rude to you but your comments are asinine to say the least. Keep in mind some of you folks are just as rude as the QA people you claim to despise so much. I try to never make snide comments to MTs when they make mistakes because I know how it feels. Believe me "I've been there and done that" and I still make mistakes, always will. No one is perfect. I used to get the word versus and verses mixed up. When I was a new MT I had a very rude woman to tell me "I have already told you it is versus three times!" So believe me I understand and not all QA people are jerks. But apparently some MTs out here who love to hate on us are.

Critical Error for ... - clunybrown

[ In Reply To ..]
I once had MQ QA give me a critical error for transcribing "Patient came into..." instead of "The patient came into..."

When I tried to challenge them on it, they were surprisingly unavailable for comment. I must say though that the QA at Webmedx has been nothing but professional, helpful, and courteous. What a change!
Ive all but given up on that one. You just cant win. - sm - Zircon
[ In Reply To ..]
If the doctor only says "Patient", we're told we have to type it that way. Yet when we do, then we get a cold-as-ice email telling us we should've typed "The" to make it a complete sentence. Well, I happen to agree with that. It looks like someone with some gray matter actually dictated the report. But, you KNOW what happens when I type "The patient"! Even when the doctor actually dictated "The", editing sends it back telling me just to type "Patient".

Instead of typing "Patient" or "The patient", I sometimes get an almost uncontrollable urge to type: "Clueless patient came in to see Dr. _________, not knowing their physician would mumble the dictation of the medical record, and the cut-rate MTSO the record was sent to for transcription would further butcher it by cutting corners in the name of turnaround time. The patient, in ignorant bliss, had his vital signs taken, which are now blank in the M-record because the physician could not take the time to enunciate them. Later, in even further ignorance that was no fault of his/her own, the patient was prescribed a new medication, the dosage of which would be inaudible to the transcriptionist working on the medical record. Later, an editor guessed at the amount, in order to save face, get in more QA lines, and make themselves look good. Two weeks later, upon a different hospital's receipt of those medical records, the patient was prescribed 3 times the usual dose of the medication, and he expired".

(Which is the oh-so-sterile and sanitary way medical-ese has of saying, "The patient's luck, warranty, and lease on life was made null and void by slipshod record-keeping.")
Same happened to me, see post above, but not critical error - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
You must be on another team - not my experience there
[ In Reply To ..]
There are plenty of contradictions forthcoming from my QA team at Webmedx. They are not all on the same page; and one in particular is constantly sending out blanket erroneous corrections and admonitions, someone publicly corrects her, and she has to publicly retract it. Half the time she sends them out to people who aren't even on those accounts, because its so important to tell "everyone" they are doing it wrong. Then she ends up with egg on her face for "everyone" to see. She's just like Gilda Radner's character (Miss Emily?) who used to rant about something she had absolutely wrong, and when corrected said "Oh. Never mind."

''very clearly'' - mt45alo

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately some are either too narrow-minded (stupid) to realize that what is ''clear'' to one person obviously is not necessarily clear to another. And that type of person so limited in her thinking has no business being in QA in the first place.

Sometimes theyll fill in when when Ive left a blank that - couldnt possibly be understood - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
at least on MY computer. I think in some cases these people have:

a. A far better sound file than we lowly-ones have access to. How else can they fill in things that are so static-filled as to be nothing but NOISE, with no audible voice heard?

b. Samples of each and every dictator that we, the MTs, have no access to.

c. Called the MD and asked them in person.

d. Guessed.

Exactly right! I always wonder about the same, and you gave - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
exactly the option that are available to the QA.

Then they say, "when you finished the report, go back and listen, listen, listen, very carefully if you can make out some of the blanks. Sometimes it works, but only if the dictator repeated this word farther down, but usually I cannot hear it. And how can I transcibe something that I cannot HEAR.

Then QA emails, "I CLEARLY heard so and so...! Aaarrrggghhh!

Then she says, "Look it up!" What shall I look up if I cannot HEAR it!

it is so hypocritical to cry quality, quality, and yet hospitals - MTPockets

[ In Reply To ..]
give no care and ship the work off to the lowest bidder with no concern for quality.

to hold US MTs to unreal, entirely different standards and at the same time to hold MTs in the rest of the world to only who will do the job the cheapest, is ridiculous and hypocritical.

QA holding your livelihood in their hands is in my opinion abusive when their attitudes and comments are demeaning and not to raise you up but to tear you down.

for the genuinely nice QA people, you have no idea how appreciated you are. we thank you for your guidance and patience, and your common sense to treat MTs as people rather than to obsess about rules and regulations.

I will never understand why we are so often - MTwithheadache

[ In Reply To ..]
held to such high standards in terms of our grammar, but at the same time the same company can send work to someone for whom English is their second language and not blink an eye! I totally agree and find it the epitome of corporate hypocrisy, at our expense.

Thats why the only way to survive, make your lines, - and keep your sanity, is to ignore QA altogether.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

QA - JoJo

[ In Reply To ..]
I have run into plenty of MTs who clearly ignore the QA. Too bad they also ignore the account specifics and continually make the same mistakes over and over...

As to QA hearing the impossible, we have more time and context. You have typed the bulk of the report from nothing. We are reading your report while listening, a clear advantage to catching things.

Most MTs are fantastic at their job. My problem is strictly with lazy MTs who refuse to follow account instructions and never review their QA jobs.
then you should be very careful you are not being spiteful or sadistic - MTPockets
[ In Reply To ..]
to those MTs you just came out and said you don't like. you still have no right to harass an MT because you do not like them. that is the point pretty much on this part of the post.

Never met a mean or snippy one - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
Granted, I've only been an MT for 5 years, but I have only had good experiences with QA. I've worked for 3 different companies, and have never met a mean, nasty, or unfair QA person. Just lucky maybe, but I think it shows that there are many good, decent QA people out there.

Amen to that!! - Same boat as you

[ In Reply To ..]

I agree with you.  I had one of my "Just my little vent today" as well.  I just asked for help with a term and got "Wow, are you really asking this?  Go to be or back to school."  I mean, really, is there a need for that?  If you don't want to help, then don't.  It was my first post to ask for help, and this is what someone will get when they ask for help here?  Geez!  Some of the other questions regarding medical terms seemed just as "obvious" as mind did.  Oh well :)

Similar Messages:

JLG -- Why So Snippy?
Aug 26, 2011

I applied with JLG and was told I didn't pass the test.  I asked them about the errors I made.  I received a very snippy email.  I thought that transcription was about learning???  I would not recommend this company to anyone unless you want to get snippy emails from them.  I wasn't even an employee and they treated me with disrespect!!  I am glad I supposedly didn't pass the test because I don't think I would want to work with a company that doe ...

People Skills For Work-at-home People
Nov 01, 2010

I have been at home working full time for about a year.  I have been an MT longer, but I always had kept a job outside of the home also because I like interaction with other.  I have found that I am starting to lose my people skills.  Do others have this same problem?  It is like I have forgotten how to really be able to hold a conversation with others.  This is something that really bothers me as I have always loved customer service and working with people and main ...

Anyone Else's TSM Getting "snippy?"
Sep 10, 2013

My TSM is usually the sweetest, most accomodating person or supervisor I have ever had.  Lately though, she has been "short" and sometimes down right snippy.  I am wondering if anyone else is seeing a change in their TSMs behavior with all the policy changes.  Up until now, she was the best supervisor I have ever had.  ...

How Are There People With No Work, And People On
Jul 17, 2013

We have helper pools for a reason!  Sounds like some TSMs need to get to work. ...

MDI-MD VR People Here?
Oct 21, 2009

I'm curious.  Any MTs willing to discuss how they like Escription and are working for MDI-MD/Transcend?  ...

DId MDI P.r.n. People Get A Pay Cut Too? Nm
Nov 24, 2009

s ...

MQ People
Sep 10, 2010

I usually come to this forum for good, solid, BRUTALLY HONEST opinon and help.  I have seen this field deteriorate over the years and got to wondering if the suits at MQ have any idea how long some of us have done this work and how poorly they are treating highly qualified, experiences MTs.  I am very curious to see how many years of experience we have.  I personally have 28 years experience and for the past 3 years have not brought in more than 20K.   When I used ...

To All Of You QA People.
Feb 08, 2011

I know this is a little thing, but after 2 years it is a little annoying.  Why do you ask MTs to look up physician names and addresses that are not in the database and to send to QA?  You NEVER enter them into the system, not once.  I have kept a list of physician names and addresses that we frequently use that are not in the database.  I send them to QA every time, requesting that they be entered.  I wonder what your response would be if we sent it blank?  Just a l ...

People Think I Have No Job....
Jul 08, 2011

Okay, four years of doing transcription and it's been four years of people calling all day to chat, wanting me to go do this and that, etc.  I've tried over and over to explain to them to not drop by because I'm WORKING! Have any of you had to get down right rude to make people understand?  Husband also doesn't seem to get it since he mentions "you're at home all day." Ugh. ...

Why Are People So Mean Lately?
Jan 08, 2012

without somebody jumping on you or making fun of you or being spelling police or telling you that's the way business operates so suck it up or go somewhere else. All that hate can't be good for you, but Flame Away!!  ...

Twice As Many People
Dec 26, 2012

typing as there are jobs to be picked up on my account, and we are told via email to work on shortest TAT.  Good grief.  The account will be clear in 5 minutes anyway.  Management is a bit irritating sometimes. ...

Do People Know What An MT Is When You Tell Them?
Jan 25, 2013

It's crazy to me that people do not even know what medical transcriptionists do most of the time.  When people ask me what I do and I tell them transcription, it never fails that they say "What is that?"  I tell them that I type what the doctor says and they say, "What does he say?"  It's crazy that nobody ever wonders how when they ask for medical records they get neatly typed pages from their doc instead of handwritten chicken scratch.  Even when I do explain it, ...

Do They Ever Just Lay People Off?
Jan 29, 2013

Has anyone ever been laid off or do they just expect their employees to quit?  No steady work here in our BOB since October, worse since Christmas.  Even today when work started picking up I still ended up 3 hours short.  I have asked for a transfer and have been denied.  I was told to make up my hours on Saturdays, but last week I was short 20 hours.  That makes for one long Saturday especially when there was no work on Saturday.  So I filed for part ...

99.6?! Obviously These People Really Know Nothing About MT.
Jun 03, 2013

x ...

Any Former DSG People
Jul 06, 2013

I'm just curious if any of the DSG victims who were bought out by MM are still with MM. I had quit MM (MQ at the time) years earlier to go with DSG, only to get slammed back into MQ/MM when they bought out DSG. I quit MM after 8 months of the buy-out. It was my goal from day one of the buy-out and I finally succeeded in getting out of MT completely. ...

Now All Those People Who Would Have
Aug 23, 2013

will be in there working, and that can mean only one thing. This whole thing is about to MPlode. ...

Any Ex DSG People Here?
Feb 23, 2014

Ooops, I accidentally posted this under a reply to something else, so here goes again. Any ex-DSG people here? After 15 years, I finally had left MQ to go to DSG, then got thrown back into MQ/MM 2 years later when they bought out DSGs medical transcription department. I left MT completely after that fiasco. I trusted no company after that mess and decided leaving MT was the smartest thing to do. Just wondering if any of you Ex-DSGers are still working for MM, and if not, what are you doing ...

Too Many People In The Pot Here
Apr 09, 2014

I have a TSM, who I never hear from. Wonder what she does? I have a QA lead that I hear from when I screw up, then there is another one that does quality updates, what the is that anyway and why do I care? And then there is the one that sends out daily backlogs that also mean NOTHING to me in the grand scheme of life. Seems maybe we could trim the fat if we held maybe 2 people accountable to do their stinking jobs instead of 4. Not to mention the ones in the even higher positions that I ha ...

TTS People...
Apr 25, 2014

If anyone who works for TTS can help me, I would appreciate it. I've been there 3 weeks and I am actually happy working there. But .... I am super paranoid about sticking to 8 hours per day because I was warned that OT is not allowed unless expressly offered and only after I am off the orientation team and on the production team.  So I am being really careful about my active platform time but I wonder if I'm being TOO careful. I mean if I end up working 8 hours 10 minutes instead ...

Were Are The QA People
May 05, 2014

Kidney disease is stage 1, 2, etc. Roman numerals are no longer used..yet every report I check on this person in docqumanage has roman numerals. ...

People Should Know
Oct 16, 2014

Has anyone ever thought of contacting the national media to let the nation as a whole know where their medical records are going and who is doing them and that fact that people have died because of wrong medications, etc.?  I thing most Americans would be surprised and pissed to find out that their private medical information is ending up in India.  They might not care as much about our wages and what is happening to our jobs, but I think they would care about where their personal info ...

I Know People Say
Oct 29, 2014

that Nuance rarely gives raises but if I was to ask for a raise who do I contact HR or my TSM?  Thanks! ...

When And What To POC People Do?
Jun 02, 2015

How do we know when we can go in and make up lost time if our TSM is off duty?  Is this the function of the POC positions and if so how do we contact them?  they on Spark?  TIA ...

And Some People Wonder Why We Complain About MQ's ASR - Sm
Oct 21, 2009

ESL+ASR=THIS ---- <insert primal scream> He asked his wife which that his wife spray as cord friend and that she said that he does not have more through the does not he does not snore and he stated that he he is not having mouth breathing.     ...

MQ Advertising For More People ;(
Nov 08, 2009

which is no big deal, except that they can't seem to give me as much work as I want.  Same office going off and hiring more people and yet I've repeatedly asked for more work.  I've been trained on FOUR accounts, and then as each one peters out, they pull me off and put me on another one, and the cycle repeats.    Not only am I getting sick and tired of constantly training on a new hospital, but I'm getting sick and tired of constantly getting no jobs av ...

Is Anyone Unhappy That MDI PT People Are
Nov 22, 2009

getting the same paycut for NO benefits (other than 401K) as FT people are for the full gamut of benefits?  That doesn't seem quite fair to me.  I understand the cut for FT with benefits, just not for PT withOUT benefits.  What exactly is the PT paycut FOR? ...

Rude People
Dec 15, 2009

Why has everyone gotten so rude.  You apply for jobs and you can sense the "Tude" through the E-mails - if they are kind enough to send you one!  35+ years experience and they act like you are just off the boat to Transcription Land.    Counting the days until I can retire.  Love the websites that say you can make $60 K a year too - now that is really rude! ...

Question For Non-MQ People
Jan 29, 2010

I have a mini survey question for non-MQ people.  Not discriminating against MQ or MQ MTs, I just already know where they sit for the most part and I worked there for years myself. Do you non-MQ people who are scheduled to work 40 hours a week have enough work to keep you going  all week?  Please specify if you are doing clinic or acute care (or both) and if you are remote or in-house.  Specify "I work from home doing [clinic/acute care]," I work in a clinic. ...

Swapboard - Come On People And Use It
May 17, 2010

I have been trying to use the swapboard to flex my schedule around and seems like nobody is using it but a couple of people.  I am a Tier III.  I am just writing this to see if more people can use this and would like to know why no one is using it to move their schedules around instead of missing or using PTO or making up time which makes you feel like you are working every day of your life.  Please your thoughts? ...

What Is Wrong With These People?
Jun 11, 2010

A 7-year-old boy was murdered by the Taliban in an apparent act of retribution this week. Afghan officials said that the child was accused of spying for U.S. and NATO forces and hanged from a tree in southern Afghanistan. Daoud Ahmadi, the spokesman for the provincial governor of Helmand, said that the killing happened days after the boy's grandfather, Abdul Woodod Alokozai, spoke out against militants in their home village. Ahmadi said: "His grandfather is a tribal elder in the village a ...