A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Unbelievable - job seeker's board - RLee

Posted: Oct 09, 2010

Just checked out the job seeker's board and came across someone willing to work for 5 cents per 65-character line and 7 cents if the audio is poor quality.  I just cannot believe someone would ADVERTISE or SELL themselves to work for such a low rate of pay, which probably would not even equal  to minimum wage!!!!!!  If you want to get screwed do not advertise, just go to work for a few of the national MTSOs that do not have a good reputation on this board!!!!!  Maybe I am missing something here, but just this week I turned down testing for an MTSO due to 7 cents per line as an IC.  I wonder how many nationals will respond to this poster.   I guess desperate economic times makes some take desperate measures - called survival is the only thing I can think of.  Just makes me wonder and leaves me bewildered. 

I saw that too - 5-7 cpl

[ In Reply To ..]
And I especially liked the part about, after having stated that they were recent MT graduate that they were "fast and accurate" and could "transcribe virtually anything."

Ummmm...a brand new MT who can transcribe virtually anything? I'd sure like to put them on a couple of my accounts and see just how well they can do! lol

Unfortunately, it's people like this who are bringing down the whole pay scale in MT. And some of these MTSOs figure that if there's people like this who will work for 5 cpl, then all MTs should be working for 5 cpl.

They're going to get what they pay for though. I'd really like to see the knowledge and quality of work with these 5 cpl MTs.

Like you, I just recently turned down a position that was 8 cpl for an IC position. After taxes, it would have been about minimum wage.

Fast and accurate - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not think anyone can be "fast and accurate" on POOR quality audio no matter if you were paid 7 cents per line or 20 cents per line, especially when you would have to take into consideration unfamiliar dictators or difficult dictators. The part about typing "virtually anything" - yeah right obviously this person is a recent graduate and needs a REALITY check. Maybe I should go back to MT school and become a NEW graduate. I am glad they have high confidence in themselves and were probably lead to believe they could do "virtually anything" by the MT school. They will live and learn just like the rest of us.

I was tempted to ask her why she would sell herself so short if she is so good - you know what I mean

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't care how good she is or thinks she is... she just does not have the experience. I have been doing this for 25 plus years and it took me a good 5 years before I felt confident in what I was doing. People like that are just so naive aren't they? Angers me because I am slaving away for less than 4 cpl for VR and about 8 for straight, which I never see the light of day. What a business that has gone down the tubes...
I'm a newly-graduated MT... - earlymusicus
[ In Reply To ..]
and I sure don't feel I can type "virtually anything." I feel like I still have a lot to learn. And after the money I spent on my two years of classes, I want more than a measly 5 cpl.

She's either very desperate or very naive. Or maybe she's married to a rich man, and so money is no object.
Neither - cjr
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm neither desperate nor naive. Just getting frustrated, that's all. I'm not looking to make millions, I'm just looking; looking to get hired so I can experience, to supplement my husbands income, which, I may add, barely covers the bills.So I went I bit over the top in trying to market myself. Should I be judged for it?? Hell no. What kills me is those of you other MTs, who who once in my shoes, out there being all judgemental. You don't know me, or what I've been through. Did you even venture to maybe ask ME?? Long story short: In 2007, at 36 I was diagnosed with stage III ovarian cancer(my son was only 2 at the time), in this time I also nearly died from a perforated colon. I'm in remission now(thank God), PLUS, my mother died 7/4/10, my father-in-law died 7/6/10 AND my father died 7/8/10. So, don't ANY of you DARE to even judge me. That being said, I wish all of us luck in finding work.
Stop with the sympathy story. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It's one thing to state you are trying to get into the business. It's another to start spilling out all you've been through in your life. As if that makes it okay to undercut our jobs and as if no one else has ever had hardships or tragedy.

I'm glad you survived, etc., but seriously it has NOTHING to do with your low-balling offers for work.

So, good luck on your job hunting but grow up and stick to the topic.

Thanks - cjr
[ In Reply To ..]
For cutting me down at my lowest point.
I didn't cut you down. - You are exhausting.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
And You Are A Waste of Time - cjr
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
CJR, I assumed the poster intended to get work and - respected that, as did many others.
[ In Reply To ..]
Although the fear of those seeing their incomes fall is real, a whole lot of us are still able to recognize that supporting the wages of others is a luxury some simply cannot afford.

Sensible people also know that a lot of people come here to act out in ways they never would face to face. Don't bother taking this glimpse of what's actually behind the social masks personally.

Hope you find a very satisfying position soon.
And just for your info - - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I have NEVER been in your "shoes" so to speak. I hired inhouse years ago, learned my job, and have been gainfully and profitably employed every since. I NEVER worked for wages I did not want to. I NEVER tried to undercut another MT or sell myself shoft. Never.

Wages for new MTs - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I can remember my first job. I worked at entry level wage because I didn't have experience, that is probably what most of you did. Personally, I was thrilled to have a job. My wages rose over time and I never worried about "undercutting" someone else. When it comes to new MTs they are taking what is offered because they need to work. The OP needs a job, give her a break. Her pay is between her and her employer, anyway, and does not concern you.
Ultimately, it probably does affect us all. - TiredMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I think the concensus is that it probably will ultimately affect us all. It would seem to set a standard in pay in that if an MT is willing to accept that rate of pay, then the MTSOs are going to offer that. Personally, my line rate was just cut after 10-1/2 years with my company, and I have 23 years of experience. The boss told me that I could take the pay cut or they could choose from the hundreds of applicants they had on file and pay them less than my rate. Some of them were so desperate, they would work for even less. Because I needed to keep my job, I took the cut, but I am looking at other options that's for sure. It's a double-edge sword to say the least.
India certainly affected our wages, why wouldn't cheap US MTs? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
read the grapes of wrath you will see what we mean - tynkerbelle
[ In Reply To ..]
don't judge you? read the grapes of wrath. it is an old book and was required reading in some high schools. or if too lazy watch the movie. henry fonda was in it.
CJR...don't let them get to you....sm - bambi
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't let these ppl get to you. I remember when I graduated and was trying to find a MT job. I just gave up for a while and stayed at my miserable call center job. But one day, I couldn't take that job anymore and I quit and I started back searching for MT jobs and I lucked out and found a company that was hiring MTs. Right now, the pay doesn't really matter...what matters is you getting experience under your belt so that after a year or two, you can get a better paying job.

As for the rudeness from some of the posters on this board, I just don't know what is wrong with them. I think they are such miserable ppl that criticizing others makes them feel superior. I will never ever forget when I found out I was pregnant and came to this board asking about getting medicaid b/c I didn't have insurance. I have never in my life received such heartless and cruel responses. Everyone attacked me and called me a breeder and said I should have an abortion. I got emails sent to me harassing me and saying I should die....I mean stuff that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Just remember that on this board, there are a lot of hateful banchies who are miserable with their lives who need to get laid and pop a xanax and it makes them feel good to downgrade others. You do what you plan on doing and just concentrate on finding a job to get that experience. I wish you the best of luck!!! :)

Very believable - Flash

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, you are missing the fact that as a newbie, you either work for peanuts or you dont get hired at all!!!! And 9 times out of 10 you dont get hired at all!!!

it's also a fact that this contributes toi starting rates declining as well. - I vote on-site experience before being considered

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Unbelievable........ - Joyce

[ In Reply To ..]
I just lost my job as a transcription/editor job after 6 dedicated years with a local hospital. Six years before that I also lost my job. Both jobs were outsourced to India. The hospitals I worked for decided that saving money was better than providing quality transcription within the community. My salary was $23/hr with benefits and now I'm being offered jobs at 3.8 cents a line! How humiliating! I'm 58 years old and cannot find a job.

We're the same age, Joyce, and I just hope - Fellow Traveller

[ In Reply To ..]
you find something good very soon. You only need one after all. Best wishes.

RLee - Nanny

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't believe some of the people in here! You have my sympathy on all counts and I wish you luck. Keep on trying!

Similar Messages:

Job Seeker's Board?
Dec 05, 2011

When I first log onto MT Stars and go to Job seeker's board the last thing it shows is an ad for a radiology MT from towards the beginning of November.  Then if I go into forums and then job seeker's it shows the last job posting as 11/30/11.  I was just curious if that is right and pickings are just that slim or if there might be a problem with the site. ...

I See CCT Has Another Ad On The Job Seeker's Board.
Sep 19, 2012

If you decide to apply, go into it with open eyes and remember what was posted about this awful company!! ...

Saw This On The Job Seeker's Board...
Nov 11, 2013

"NEW transcriptionists are treated like excellent SEASONED transcriptionists" And this is supposed to attract applicants???  Who would want to be treated like we have been treated by the MTSOs over the past few years??? ...

Looking At Job Seeker's Board
May 09, 2014

Lots of ads for help BUT underneath the ads are dislikes.  Does this mean TTS is a bad company and don't work for them.  Kind of sad they keep posting jobs so I wonder if disgruntled ex-employees are disliking their ads and why they keep advertising for help.  Any thoughts on TTS? ...

I See On The Job Seeker's Board
May 27, 2015

had a thread possible.  Would love to see that happen with all the "great" jobs on there!   ...

Curious About Job Seeker's Board
Aug 05, 2010

Does anyone know why the ad "Calling All Medical Transcriptionists and Medical Editors (pre-delivery)!" is always at the top of the job seeker's board. It is dated July 19, 2010, and all the newer postings are always listed below this ad. ...

TransTech On Job Seeker's Board
Dec 16, 2010

I see that Transtech is hiring once again for oncology.  I would like to know if this account has enough work and what the percentage rate of straight transcription versus VR would be.  Are there a lot of ESL dictators...don't mind some but really do not want to get stuck with 90%, so if you have any knowledge of this account, please let me hear everything you like or dislike, please.  Also, what do they pay for a seasoned oncology transcriptionist, fair, low or hopefully bet ...

Psych MT Job On The Seeker's Board
Oct 31, 2012

There's a posting by Blair's Transcription Services.  First, I can't even find this "company" on the internet to verify it, and second, they're requiring the purchase of a C-phone.  I'll admit, I didn't know what a C-phone was, so I looked it up.  Those things are about $900 each!!!  If they're wanting me to spend more money on an instrument to receive the dictation than I did on my fully-loaded computer, they need to offer a heck of a bette ...

Gen Transcription On The Job Seeker's Board
Apr 07, 2013

Is my math wrong? .50 an audio minute = $30 an hour.  As mentioned in the ad, an hour of focus group transription "only takes you 4 hours to transcribe".  So they are offering $7.50 an hour?! ...

Why Are All Of The Jobs In Job Seeker's Board
Apr 07, 2013

crossed out? What's up with that? ...

Jobs On The Job Seeker's Board.
May 10, 2013

Do you ever come to this website and see what you think would be the perfect job for you and then realize it has had over 100 views so far and think to yourself that you don't stand a chance if you apply because so many have probably already done so?  Sometimes I feel like I need to stay on this website and refresh my screen every minute just to catch a break. How does one stand out and actually get these positions? Do you have to be among the first to reply? ...

Post On Job Seeker's Board
Aug 08, 2014

Be careful of responding to the post by Mike Witkowski - a few years back he pulled this same type of thing with needing transcriptionists "right away" - the whole process was very shady and then he tells you that you don't meet his "requirements" after you transcribe a test.....just a head's up. ...

Anyone See The Ad On Job Seeker's Board....Nuance
Mar 11, 2015

How can they do this when so many are constantly OOW?  Really, WHAT is their motivation for this?  Why would they want to pay a single MT $2000 when they could just give the work to the MTs w/o work?    ...

LOL MTSO On Job Seeker's Board Is Shocked That
Mar 21, 2010

Amazing, really just amazing.  ...

Unable To View Job Seeker's Board Sm
Apr 13, 2010

We are currently updating our site/forum software. The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. All forum messages will be available shortly. Please select the links from left menu to view current discussions. If you have questions, don't hesitate to contact us by using the 'Contact Us' link at the top right corner of this page. We appreciate your patience.MTStars Support Team.   ...

I Recently Applied For A Job On The Job Seeker's Board (sm)
Apr 22, 2010

That was offering part-time acute care work for ICs.  Almost immediately after I applied I received an email from them stating how interested they were in me and asked that I fill out their questionnaire.  Only a one page deal so I started filling it out.  Down at the bottom it asked what my salary requirements were and even though they posted up to 9.5 cpl I placed 10 to 11 cpl, taking into consideration 25 years experience and it is an IC position.  The next portion of this ...

Job Seeker's Board, Orthopedic MTs; Company Name Not Given.
Sep 08, 2010

nm ...

Kudos To Shauna On The Job Seeker's Board For
Jul 30, 2012

acknowledging her applicants instead of just ignoring them.  May other MTSO's follow her lead. ...

Wish Job Seeker's Board Had Dislike Button. Nm
Sep 26, 2012

nm ...

No Company Name, Anyone Know Who The QA Position Is For On The Job Seeker’s Board
Dec 09, 2010

How come all the questionable job openings all happen about the same time? Anyone know what company the QA Recruiter is working for?  There is no company name listed and there is absolutely nothing on Google for that Email address.   ...

Why Does The Post On The Job Seeker's Board For Advanced Transcription Keep Disappearing?
Jan 09, 2011

It has been there twice this evening and both times it has disappeared.  Does anyone have any recent information about this company?  It is the one out of New Jersey.   TIA ...

Metropolitan Psych Services On Job Seeker's Board; Anyone Work For Them
Feb 25, 2011

Anyone have any information about Metropolitan Psych Services?  They have an ad on the Job Seeker’s Board.  It says they are in New York.  Goggling “Metropolitan Psych Services” comes up with nothing.  But when you Google the listed Email address, it shows they had a similar ad on the Job Seeker’s Board in August of 2010 and claimed to be in New Jersey.  Same Email address so I assume it is the same company, although no company name was listed in ...

Poster On Job Seeker's Board Is "just Shocked" Because --
Mar 20, 2010

--they're not receiving responses from "peeps" (are you kidding me?) who want to work for 6-7 cents a line as an IC.    LOL.  I should hope not. ...

What's Wrong With The "Dislikers" On The Job Seeker's Board? (sm)
Apr 17, 2014

Just like in these forums there are a few who dislike everything whether they like it or not.  One job posted as "Easy OT and PT work" pays .08 for the GROSS line which is significantly higher than the character line.  Are there people who don't know this?  In other words you would be making the equivalent to .10 of .11 CPL on this job, yet 3 had to dislike it.  What did you dislike about this?  Don't you want to discourage low pay and encourage a job that ...

Why All The "dislikes" For Rev On The Seeker's Board?
Jun 11, 2013

x ...

Unbelievable MDs
Feb 11, 2010

I was just told by a doc:  *...left nare.  That is N-A-R-E.  There is no such word as naris, please stop transcribing this.*  WHAT!!! I don't know about you all, but since being a transcriptionist, I have lost most respect for physicians.  If I ever need my appendix out, I would probably do it myself.  ...

OMG... UNBELIEVABLE
May 27, 2010

I was getting audited today, noticed earlier in the day.  They had my four jobs and I was maintaining a 96%.  The last job they audited came back with a 81%!   I looked at that job, saw 17 CORRECTIONS, 3 CRITICAL FB!  yet when I listened and re-listened and read and re-read, I don't understand!!! I called this "expert" up and asked what was up.  Apparently, AFTER the job was uploaded, the DOC DECIDED HER STANDARD INSERTED AND THE OLD REPORT DELETED!  So t ...

Unbelievable...pto=??
Feb 16, 2012

anyone out there remember my post the other day about wanting to take pto this Friday and ccm waiting till the last minute to approve.  Instead of the real approval in teamwork for pto yesterday I receive an email I failed the high and mighty 99% audit.  Funny, I had not been audited since last July believe or not and then I was "randomly" selected.  I guess they can't see anyone wanting to have a little happiness at any given anytime.  ...

Unbelievable!
Sep 26, 2012

I ended up today with a report of transcription today with 21 splits, different reports in it. The doctor just dictated 1 report after the other. In between each report I of course had to research and find the new ADT. It took me 3 hours to get through about 50 minutes of actual dictation. I don't know if he always dictates like this or not, I just know I had to work 2 hours past my shift to finish his mess knowing I'd lose it all if I didn't finish it. I sure will complain to my ...

Just Unbelievable
Feb 05, 2013

An account was temporarily added to our pool.  The ADT instructions run a full page.  All this is to be done without compensation of course.  Has anyone else read this?  It is in the West.  I think any MT getting this as a "helper" account should just help herself to the dictation and bypass all the ridiculous instructions.  They seem to think MM is a charity and we are their contributors. ...