A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Pet peeves - qCMT

Posted: May 11, 2010

Just a couple little pet peeves I have that I would like to rant about to my fellow MTs who will understand.  It drives me nuts when people dictate the word "dyspnea" as s/l dipsnea and the word "pharynx" as s/l pharnix.  I don't know why this bothers me so much, but it does, LOL.  Let me know if this drives you crazy too or any other pet peeves you have. 

Have a great evening everyone :-)

LOL--"Pharnix" - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
I had 2 completely different NPs pronnounce it that same way too! Drove me nuts because sometimes I would just zone out and type it the way they said it--I had to actually go into "auto correct" and make it so that if it typed it the way they said it, it would automatically change to the correct spelling. How pathetic am I?!

There's something else that gets me every time too...can't think of it right off the top of my head. I think it has to do with the eyeball or something, something almost every single dictator messes up on. I'll remember it at 2 a.m. I'm sure ;-)

One of the first peeves that comes to mind - J

[ In Reply To ..]

is when an idiot who thinks it is necessary to tell me how to punctuate does not know the difference between a semicolon and a colon.  I could probably think of a few more, but that  that comes to mind right off the top!.  Yell 

That's a good one! - qCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
That drives me nuts too! I have one doctor that always says semicolon instead of comma. I don't get it! For one, it is so much longer to say, and it is always in a place where a semicolon would be totally unecessary.

OMG.................................................... - too funny

[ In Reply To ..]
or when they say 'comma' after almost every other word they say and a comma shouldn't be there. You know how much our line count would bump up if we truly did type verbatim? "The patient, was being seen, in the ER, when they suddenly had an allergic reaction, to a medication that was administered." LOL.
and... and.... and.... - confused
[ In Reply To ..]
I have a lot but one that this makes me think of is the 8 sentences clumped together cause the doctor just keeps throwing "and" in there... and I have to decide where I should cut him off and make new sentences!
Otherwise - Marine Mom
[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, that makes me think of one doc I have that says "otherwise" in just about every sentence.
otherwise lungs are clear. heart is otherwise regular without murmur. otherwise, the patient is to follow up in 3 weeks or otherwise p.r.n. Seriously?? I delete most of them. I wonder if he even knows he's doing it? I wonder if I left them all in they would call that line padding?? LOL
UGH! I had one like that too - me
[ In Reply To ..]
He would say "at this point in time" every sentence, I deleted most of those too.
"At this point in time the patient's nails were debrided. At this point in time I see no reason to consult surgery at this point in time." Sometimes 2 or 3 times in one sentence!
or furthermore... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Actually had to make a short cut for it just for this one doc! He says it at the start of about half of his sentences. I type it, as I'm told to be as verbatim as possible unless there's a glaring error.

Oh do I EVER - Marine Mom

[ In Reply To ..]
How about when the doctor tries to spell a medicaton because he doesn't think you are smart enough to figure it out, and he spells it WRONG?

How about when a doctor is dictating while he still has the patient in the room and is asking the patient questions while dictating so you have a 5-minute dictation with a minute 50 seconds of actual typing?

How about when they jump all over from one subject to another in the middle of a subject then go back, then on to the next, but then go back, etc. etc. and never dictate ONE Heading.

and last but not least....the patient had a hysterectomy in 1997....On GYN examination, Pap smear was taken from the cervix with a cervical brush. Uterus is small and nontender....REALLY even after her hysterectomy? so which one is wrong, and which one do you blank?

AAAAHHHH some days I give up

Almost forgot... - J

[ In Reply To ..]
"Please send a carbon copy" When is the last time any carbon was involved... like 30 years ago?

carbon dating revealed - yes 30 years ago. - me

[ In Reply To ..]
(Carbon 12 isotope)

pet peeves - 1mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Ooohhh, this just makes me want to gag, when the doctor needs to blow his nose, but instead attempts to snort it back up. Had it happen several times today with the same doc. One time when he did it he actually apologized, but guess what...he still did it. SO, SO DISGUSTING.

How about the ESL docs who have a hard enough time speaking English, but then try to talk so fast that they're not even sure what they're saying, and often times what ends up being transcribed sounds ridiculous, but they get what they say for the most part.

We could all probably go on and on and on...

Symptomology - I hate that one - MT4Eight

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I have one guy who - grrrrrrr

[ In Reply To ..]
s-p-e-l-l-s e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. Even the e-a-s-y words. I also love the ones who spell meds they can't pronounce and don't spell them right. Dipsnea makes me crazy, too.

Oh, how about when a patient has a very difficult unfamiliar 1st name and last name "Smith" - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]
and the doc mumbles through the 1st name and spells out Smith! Thanks a bunch doc!!!

LOL..so true! - mt nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Oooh I hate that too! - hb

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a doc that guesses on the spelling of every medication and ALWAYS gets them wrong, but then she never spells any of the names, especially the very uncommon ones.

How about ESLs who spell dumb stuff... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
that you would have gotten just fine IF they hadn't spelled it, but when they spell it you think it's another word and you can't figure out what it is? I have one who spells i-n-t-a-c-t, with the emphasis STRONGLY on the "a", and I used to blank it and go back the first couple times he did it. Why spell that word of all words? I mean, it's never the hard, terminology words...what's with that?

ESL says UPSIDE DOWN COMMAS - yochana

[ In Reply To ..]
Whenever she wanted to put something in quotations!!

LMAO! nm - confused

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Mine says "Open speech marks" and "Close speech marks" - drives me nuts

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

African American white female! PAY ATTENTION DOC! - MoMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Now I have to put a blank in a perfectly fine report otherwise! Just burns my buns!

you don't suppose - BoBo

[ In Reply To ..]
that it could be a white African American female for real? One of the white girls from Africa, emmigrate here to live?

I had a female patient whose prostate was enlarged - huh????

[ In Reply To ..]
Has something happened recently with our anatomy that I don't know about. LOL.

Well now, when they do a sex change operation - BoBo

[ In Reply To ..]
do they leave the prostate in? (when going male to female) Probably not unless it was a garage doctor.

doc could be right - sm - sssdt

[ In Reply To ..]
Many white people live in Africa. They are often of Dutch ancestry.

My pet peeve - ColtsFan

[ In Reply To ..]
Drives me crazy with they start numbering a list after about the third item!! Can't they say the number 1?

Prilosec...does anybody know how to pronounce it? - mrs.krabs

[ In Reply To ..]
What genius made up that name for a drug? I've heard it pronounced: PARlosec, PRYlosec, PERlosec just to name a few ways.

prilosec - Marine Mom

[ In Reply To ..]
I usually get Preelosec. How about
sim VAS itin (simvastatin) No i between the s and t people!!
Just this morning, I had an RN say - omg
[ In Reply To ..]
tropinonin instead of troponin among a bunch of other words she mangled. Made my laugh, though, so it was a good stress reliever.

Or better yet, there's nothing that even... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
resembles a list out of what they've said so far, but they just bust out with "and number 2..." Sometimes when there was no way I could get a list out of what was there, I've just started the list out of nowhere, right in the middle of a paragraph. But again, my accounts are pretty darned verbatim.

"return back" bothers me a lot - steady eddie

[ In Reply To ..]
It's a redundancy.

I also hate "preheat" the oven. There is no such thing. An oven can only be in two states of condition: Heated or unheated, as per the genius of George Carlin. Go get "Jammin' in New York", which I think is his magnum opus.

My doc thinks he's in the Navy - AlphaBravoCharlie

[ In Reply To ..]
Whenever he spells a patient's name, which I am very glad he does, he uses those radio call letters, like so:

Patient is Clyde Fooglejisk - "Foxtrot, Oscar, Oscar, Golf, Lima, Echo, Juliet, India, Sierra, Kilo"

He's pretty quick with it but when he forgets or has to think about it, he won't just say the dang letter, he will be all... uhh uhhmmm QUEBEC!

I feel like I'm playing Electronic Battleship. But really? He speaks so clearly and enunciates all his words perfectly, it would be so much easier if he would just say the letters, but it's obvious he's pretty pleased with himself doing it this way. I can just see him on the other end all proud like... did you hear me do that??

Doesn't really bother me, just funny.

Oh, and he only does it on patient names, never on anything else he might spell. I don't know what it is about names that turns him into Mr. Radio Man.

That was a FANTASTIC read qCMT!! - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
I was laughing my tuckas off while reading it! You have a knack for writing, ya do!

My husband is a HAM radio operator and he does this ALL THE TIME and it bugs the crap out of me, so when you described how proud this dude must be on the other end, you just described my husband to a T! "Mr. Radio man." I love it!

:-D

Naval Doc - American MT

[ In Reply To ..]
OMG...I have a doctor that does that too.....I want to strangle him on most days!!! He also says 0 decimal 7 for lab values and always says 9 as "niner." LOL Screws up my rhythm for sure!!!

Here are a couple - - NYMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have two regular dictators who literally say "paragraph" after every sentence. Sometimes it's tempting to type it that way and see how many pages I get!
Then there's "organomeglea" -it's like fingernails scratching down a blackboard!

Return, next line; return, next line... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
everytime he wants to start a new paragraph! He dictates every single punctuation mark in the dang report, along with the "return, next line"- makes me want to scream! He doesn't tell me when to space, thankfully.

I used to have a resident who would ... sm - love this thread

[ In Reply To ..]
list the meds, but after each one he would say 'next line, next number.' If it was a big list, it used to make me crazy. Also have a doc who says new paragraph constantly, usually after every sentence.

Instead of multivitamin they say multiple vitamin - grrr!

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I have a doc who says hypercholesterolanemia - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

my doc confuses genders all the time - sm - sssdt

[ In Reply To ..]
He also screws up dates, height and weight measurements, etc. The other day he said an 18 year old boy who was 6 feet, 2 inches, and 165 pounds was "obese" and had "polycystic ovaries." Where do I even begin to flag that kind of thing?

Not really a pet peeve, actually kind of love it... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a psychologist who says (I'll spell it as she says it) "raddy kolo pathy," with the emphasis on the 'ra' and the 'pa'. And she's NOT an ESL. Can you guess what she is trying to say? Yep- radiculopathy! It just makes me laugh when she says it, and yes, it's been more than once, to think such a highly educated person stumbles over what seems to me a simple word...love it!

more peeves - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
"joolery" for jewelry.

"reelator" for realtor.

"nookyeler" for nuclear.

The idea that the root of the word "expedient" is "speedy."

There are many more, but you get the general idea.

In that same vein, not pertinent to MT, but - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
how about Brett Farve (football player), instead of Favre? Granted, it's not easy to pronounce, but come on! Farve?!?!? That's what all the announcers call him...

I have one that says "Spuvera" for Spiriva - peeved

[ In Reply To ..]
She says it over and over again... Spuvera

pet peeves - American MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Doctors who dictate "melanotic" stool instead "melenic" stool. Geez....

Gum Chewing drives me nuts!! Hate it! LOL - jm0405

[ In Reply To ..]
jm

Me Too! - Do not chew in my ear

[ In Reply To ..]
Makes me feel physicall ill!

I don't care for the YAWNING while talking, although - - bobo

[ In Reply To ..]
-although the yawned sentence is sometimes the most understandable.

"phlegum" LOL (sm) - starzzz

[ In Reply To ..]
"orientated" is another one. Also, some nurse practitioners are really bad with interchanging "palpation" and "palpitation". "...a 1-years-old child" I hate that one when I'm doing a ver vatim account, grrrr.

Similar Messages:

My Job Ad Pet Peeves ...
Jun 08, 2011

1.  Job ads with typos -- you know they'll try to nail us for them but apparently they don't have to be accurate!  LOL 2.  Job ads with poor punctuation -- like no comma after the state abbreviation in a sentence. 3.  Job ads with e-mail addresses that prove there is no website.  How professional is that? 4.  Job ads with no range of pay listed whatsoever.  Come on, give us a range!  I'm not interested in applying for your 5 cpl job!  ...

To Employers: My Pet Peeves For The Day
Nov 10, 2010

Dear Employer:  Please make client sheets clear.  I am so tired of reading a client sheet over and over trying to understand how something is supposed to be done.  There's got to be a better way.  Don't put information in one area of the client sheet and then an exception to the rule somewhere else.  I read through the instructions until I find what I need, if there is an exception to the rule it should be where the rule is, not somewhere else in the instructi ...

Poll: Spelling Pet Peeves
Sep 24, 2010

These drive me nuts when I see them! "I could care less" ... WRONG!  It is "I could not/couldn't care less" --  In other words, there is no more "caring" left!  LOL Rediculous ... WRONG!   It is "ridiculous." Pleural when "plural" is needed! You're vs your.   You're stands for "you are"!  Your is a possessive! Ok.  Your turn!   ...

3 Pet Peeves Of Dictators All In One Dictation
Feb 16, 2011

Three pet peeves that I have when it comes to dictators are eating, coughing, and sneezing.  I got 'em all in one piece of dictation.  All the way through words are separated by smacking noises, coughing, sneezing, and snorting.  These doofuses should be made to listen to their own dictation.  There are more sound effects than words.  Sorry, just had to vent. ...