A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Part of the problem. - Up2Here

Posted: Nov 26, 2013

I have been reading the posts on this board for a while now. Most of what I see is "venting." We "vent" about being dinged in an audit for things that were actually incorrect (and occasionally correct). When someone points out that there actually was an error, they are berated by others who cry, "That is not the point!" What is the point exactly? You made an error; it was caught. Make a note, suck it up, and move on. Okay, the error costs more than you think it's worth, but it is still an error. The QA/QC sent you a note that you felt was not properly contrite enough for catching your error. QA has goals too. They do not have time to sugar coat the error so that your feelings do not get hurt. If they tell you why it is an error, count yourself lucky that you didn't have to look it up for yourself. We "vent" about not enough pay and not enough work, and then "vent" when an email goes out calling for help due to work volumes. We hear, "I can't pay my bills. My kids are doing without. I can't pay my car payment." Then, when a call goes out for help because of high volumes we hear, "I'm not helping them because they're not helping me. There's no way I am working on my time off." Okay, that is a position to take (I guess), but later, We will then see where this one or that one can't take their child to the doctor, dog to the vet, car to the mechanic, etc. If we have no money, why are we turning down work? Okay, I'm turning down work because I am not a machine, and I can't work 24 hours a day. I can see that. As a matter of fact, that is a valid point. I hate this place fully of greedy monsters trying feed on my very last drop of self-esteemâ€Â¦another point, more emotional than valid, but stillâ€Â¦I can see where that comes from. But—let another poster suggest changing jobs (same line of work) or seeking a new line of work, education, training, etc., and they are set upon by angry shrieking harridans out for blood. How dare anyone even suggest that there might be another avenue that could be taken? It is felt that in some way the person making the suggestion is lacking in heart or humanity. Somehow, we have started thinking that the person with the horrible situation or job bears no responsibility to try to make their situation better. Apparently, this hive mentality sees that the MT with the good situation got there simply as a matter of luck with diligence, hard work, and talent playing little or no part at all; and the best and brightest are trapped in demeaning slave-wage jobs with no control over their own destiny. All I can say is wow. While we sit here lamenting this situation and that situation and the state of the MT profession, we are failing to notice that we are PART of the problem. At what point do "venting" and "commiseration" become whining and wallowing? Let the dislikes begin.

I Like and Agree!! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Just wanting to start something - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Posts like the OP is just trolling for attention. Seriously. Let the dislikes begin. Oh brother. Start a fight somewhere else or get a hobby which actually will result in something positive. SMH

Why would discourse on our own... - Up2Here

[ In Reply To ..]
role in how we are perceived and react to the difficulties we all face not result in something positive? Not seeking trouble, just thoughtful intelligent interaction. However, I can see from your post that you are not inclined to participate, which is certainly your choice.

My comment at the end, while meant playfully, was the result of what seems to me to be a tendency for those with viewpoints differing from the majority to be harangued and "disliked." Just my way of saying all views are welcome, and a "dislike" would not prompt the "why the dislike" comment I see on many posts.

WE seem to be using the word WE in a - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
pretty broad sense of the word.

Just wanted to say - - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
I like your post.

Point taken. I hope you point is actually heard by more than not.

I could not possibly agree more with your post - Brava

[ In Reply To ..]
In fact, I can't help but notice the drop off in posts/posters just in the last year or less. It used to be many MTs seemingly posted here, from the ecstatic to the unhappy. Somewhere along the line, it looks like the MTs who were making their situations work for them fell to the wayside.

Truly a shame, as a lot of those successful MTs had many good ideas and suggestions to share.

I have noticed the same. - Up2Here

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not sure why that is; but I think, at least in part, it may be due to the fact that all of the helplessness and hatred has a way of sapping ones strength. I don't dislike or discount the occasional vent. Venting is healthy, but it seems that this what the majority of this board is about lately. Even people asking for help are accosted in some cases (not always) simply for asking their question in a manner that was perceived as incorrect. My glasses are not rose colored, just plain readers, but I long for the days when there was a little more civility and a little more balance between the good and the bad.

perhaps they are sick of this site and the same ol' worn out boo-rah rallies - and found more interesting reads elsewhere.

[ In Reply To ..]
I know I've been told more than once - "if I don't agree move on." well ok.

This debate that turns into a huge fight eventually always comes around one holiday or another. Thanks but no thanks.

You wondered where people went and why, I can only speak for myself. For me - the subjects are stale here.

I think a lot left for other careers - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have seen a lot leaving for other careers, going back to school, getting new jobs. Having done it myself, you just get too busy to come here. Not much point in hanging around listening to complaints. When you do offer suggestions, tell them how you did it, people attack you.

PART OF THE PROBLEM - roybrit

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for saying everything I wanted to say. I AGREE AND I LIKE. You are a brave soul because you have to know they will be coming for your head.

Roybrit - Up2Here

[ In Reply To ..]
You are welcome. Thank your for your positive comments. I am sure that there will be some, possibly many, who do not appreciate or share my point of view. While I support their right to express their opinions, I cannot not allow the fear of negativity keep me from speaking my piece any longer.

Up2Here - roybrit

[ In Reply To ..]
I know what you mean. There was a post requesting to hear from “happy MTs.” I responded about my current situation and was call uncompassionate, boastful, and rubbing my success in the faces of others less fortunate. I was one of those told to not be so happy because the bottom was going to drop out of my success and I would not be so happy then. It was very confrontational and turned into a verbal altercation. I am not boasting when I say, I love my job, I love my salary. Just today received my performance appraisal and my raise and it was a wonderful experience. I am not bragging, I am not boasting, I am just proud of myself and encouraged. We even had a frank discussion about the future of MT and what is happening at the Mayo Clinic. I have no idea what the future holds but for now I am going to enjoy my current state of employment. Is that a bad thing? Happy Thanksgiving everyone and lets be appreciative for the blessings we have.
Roybrit - Up2Here
[ In Reply To ..]
I congratulate you on your success! It makes my day to hear when someone else is doing well. The success of others should be celebrated. It reminds me that it is doable. Thank you for sharing a bit of your good fortune with me! I saw your post and did not feel that you were rubbing it in peoples' faces. I felt you were responding to exactly what was asked. I regret that I did not post then to let you know that news of your success was welcome and wanted!
well you were kind of rubbing it in though - you kept saying
[ In Reply To ..]
you kept saying "you used to have that job but you don't anymore!" and "that's past tense" (referring to a job similar to yours that someone had lost due to automation). Why did you do that? Did you not think that might rub somebody the wrong way?
Response to "you kept saying" - roybrit
[ In Reply To ..]
I don’t know if your memory of the posts is entirely complete. Those were RESPONSES to being told not to get to comfortable with my present position because it would not last. They were not original posts, always responses.
I know they were - but you kept saying
[ In Reply To ..]
When someone would say I had a good job like yours and I lost it due to automation, your response was, well sounds like you lost your job! you don't have it anymore!

The person posting was fully aware that she lost her job. She didn't need you to remind her. The point was that automation can and does take away MT jobs, particularly radiology and pathology. I could not understand the logic behind your replies, and I found them to be a little bit cruel.
That went the way this is starting to go - roybrit
[ In Reply To ..]
I still maintain that what you/they are/were saying is true. I am not apologetic that is has not happened to me. I have an effective contingency plan should it happen to way. The truth is Xerox was working on voice recognition when I started MT in Pathology at the VA Medical Center in 1979. THIS PROFESSION HAS SERVED ME WELL FOR 34 YEARS. I have worked exclusively in pathology. I have no other MT experience. I have only worked in hospitals, never worked at home. I am definitely sorry for the MTs who have been displaced, I wish it had not happened to them. If you feel the need for me to apologize for not having that experience, it is not going to happen. So I think we should end this discussion because it is going nowhere fast. Again let me wish you a blessed Thanksgiving holiday and I hope it is all you want it to be.
I understand that don't have a problem - with it
[ In Reply To ..]
I just don't understand why you kept saying things like "You had a job but you lost it!" What was the point of that?
I mean couldn't you have just said - sorry you lost your job?
[ In Reply To ..]
I realize it could happen to me but it hasn't yet?
agreed!!! bravo - mtr
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

"They'll be coming for your head"????? huh - oh pullease

[ In Reply To ..]
I liked her post, but please, I think you have earned the "Drama Queen" award. LOL

She's not a "brave soul". Maybe if she confronted them she would be, and they'll be coming for her head???? What an odd thing to say. Whose coming for her head? The taliban? an MTSO? Did she do anything wrong? No, she just vented.

Thanks for the giggles though.

I think it meant ... us. - The Evil Ones

[ In Reply To ..]
Nm
who are "us"? Other MTs? I still don't understand - oh pullease
[ In Reply To ..]
It just does not make sense.
Yes, us ... the folks on this board. Especially - Us Evil Ones
[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Yes, I'll dislike, and I'll tell you why. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I dislike it when people make generalizations. That's what you did in your post.

"Somehow, we have started thinking that the person with the horrible situation or job bears no responsibility to try to make their situation better." First of all, I consider myself part of "we" as it pertains to this message board, and I do not think that. Secondly, while there are people in the world who refuse to accept responsibility of any kind, I have not read any posts where an MT claimed not to bear any responsibility about their situation. Thirdly, how do you know people are not trying to get out of their bad situations? Everyone is different, and every situation is different. We do not know every poster's specific challenges, nor are we privy to all the steps they have taken thus far to get themselves to a better place.

You claim when other posters suggest "changing jobs (same line of work) or seeking a new line of work, education, training, etc.," they are set upon by "angry shrieking harridans out for blood." I have never seen that happen. I have, however, seen people get angry when, after venting about their situation, someone decides to post a condescending reply in which the original poster's work ethic, self-esteem, intelligence, and attitude are challenged. Are those the incidents to which you are referring? There are probably a few different reasons MTs post about their less-than-ideal situations. I'm sure that list of reasons does not include the desire to be chastized about how ineptly they're handling their current circumstance. People who like to post snotty replies with helpful "suggestions" are not being helpful, and they know it.

When it comes to those who have good situations, I do not see posts claiming those MTs are not talented or diligent or hard-working. What some of those fortunates seem to fail to realize, though, is that, yes, they HAVE been lucky because there are also equally talented, diligent, hard-working MTs who have not been blessed with jobs as wonderful as theirs.

It would be so nice if we could all be grateful for the good things we have and not blame and condemn those who have not.

You must be new here. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Nicely done. What a well-thought... - Up2Here.

[ In Reply To ..]
out response. I appreciate the tone and the content of your post. While I do not agree with all that you said, I do think that you make an excellent counterpoint to my original points. The "we" I use does not reference any one specific poster or any one group of posters. I have frequented this board for quite a while, rarely posting, and I am referring to the overall tone of the board. I do not (nor do I claim to) have any insight into your or anyone else's specific points of view or situation.

However, I do read posts, not daily but fairly regularly, and it is not unusual for someone to come on blaming this company or that company for their situation. I also do not claim to know what steps have been taken to remedy their situation and would, therefore, be remiss in not offering the suggestion. There is a current post today in which people who commented that the OP should consider other options and were met with aggressive and hostile responses. I concede that when one is in a situation where one feels helpless and trapped it is easy to interpret any criticism, constructive or otherwise, as an attack, but not every post that suggests that the original poster could do more IS an attack.

Those who do have good situations and post the same are accused of wearing rose-colored glasses or being a "suit" or some other subversive character. While it might be easy to interpret that as having it rubbed in ones face, it is possible that it is just someone offering encouragement, someone's way of saying, "You are not trapped. It is not hopeless. I did it, and if I can do it, you can do it too."

No, not everyone can do it. There are people in this profession (as in any profession) who are just not suited to the job. Many people got in thinking it was something that it was not. I believe that in some instances this is where the discontent comes from, and in that situation, the best thing a person can do for themselves is move on. Realistically, just because you have some reason that you feel you need or have to work from home does not make you (not you personally) fit for this job. I do not think that it is unreasonable to say that if someone is unhappy with their MT job, it is something that bears looking at. We are supposed to be adults. I think that obviously snide comment from either point of view are neither warrant nor appreciated.

I agree completely with your final statement that it would be nice if we could all be grateful for the good things we have and not blame or condemn those who have not. That is precisely why I try to read only what is said in a post and not interpret them as a personal affront or attack if there is any way to do otherwise.

I think part of the problem - is

[ In Reply To ..]
when people come here to vent about their situation, other people tell them the complaining is getting old and to quit whining. That isn't helping. That isn't what is needed. If it annoys you so much to read, just don't. Move along. It is the same the other way around. Someone might comment that they are happy and making money and someone else will claim they must be management or must be lying. That isn't helpful either. If you've made it, great! I hope that keeps up for you. But most of us are having a hard time and moving on to greener pastures is a longer journey for some than for others. A little compassion wouldn't hurt. But if you have none to give, you could at least just silently walk away instead of slapping those less fortunate (or in your opinion, less motivated) than you across the face. We don't have to be so acerbic all the time. I don't understand why it is so hostile on this board.

This is the type of response that I respect. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Well-thought out and fair. OP's was thinly veiled as "good advice", but actually condescending.

I'm in a 'reasonably' good spot in MT right now, but can certainly commiserate with MTs venting. What I can't understand is not only the lack of empathy in this particular OP, but that they take the time to create a wordy topic just to scold. Really? If you don't agree or can't understand somebody else's situation, then ignore, or dislike if you must. *SMH*

I also appreciate the prior posters response. - Up2Here

[ In Reply To ..]
I was not intending to offer advice in my original post. I merely made statements of my opinion and asked questions. You are free to rebut or not as you desire. However, I believe you may be interpreting intent in my post that just isn't there.

Just wondering... - Up2Here

[ In Reply To ..]
You make some good points and have obviously put some thought into your response. However, if someone just wants to vent and does not want to see responses that suggest other avenues, perhaps they should make that clear in their post. Many simply post with this is terrible or that is a problem, and anyone who hates to see another in that situation may feel compelled to post. If all that is needed is a sounding board for a rant, perhaps a disclaimer is in order. I have rarely seen posts that say they are not looking for answers or suggestions just spouting off out of frustration, and I, personally, do simply read and move on.

I understand that moving on may be problematic for some, but how does that make it improper in some way for those who have to post that they have? How do we know how easy or difficult it was for that poster to move on or make it?

I do not feel that posts saying there is a way out are uncompassionate.

Yes, there are those on either side of any issue who do post unnecessary and sometimes hateful comments, and I agree that these are not helpful. I, for my part, try not to be uncompassionate, but I am fairly blunt. My personal feeling is that we are adults and should be able to look at someone else's view of the truth. That is not to say that your view and my view will be the same, but that the expression of each has value,and the snide comments and (as you so aptly put it)acerbic tone diminish the value of the view of the truth within.

If an MT vents, "perhaps a disclaimer is in order". Seriously? Wow. - (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
z
I like it when my QA sends a correction because - they are always polite..
[ In Reply To ..]
..and they know that I'm still learning the account. Plus, the doctors, as usual, are thoughtless and spit out difficult proper names without spelling anything (most of the time). :p

It isn't necessarily the suggestions that - are the issue

[ In Reply To ..]
it's how those suggestions are being conveyed. When you are in the depths of despair and just want a little validation that you aren't as worthless as you feel, to then be told that you are lazy and to quit complaining only compounds the pain. If you are happy and have found a way to make your situation better, please tell me how you did it, or at least offer me some encouragement. That's what I need. I don't need to be told to be quiet and fix my life. I would LOVE to fix my life! I just don't know where to start. I certainly don't doubt that some people do not want to put the effort into changing their situation, but that isn't everyone. Some may not have the means to change jobs, some may not have the knowledge, and some (like me) lack the gumption. A friendly suggestion, even if it is blunt, is still more likely to get through to someone than a callous one. If you throw acrimony at someone, they are likely to throw it back. That is what I think is going on here lately. We are all like a rattlesnake on edge, ready to strike at anything we view as a threat, or sometimes just an annoyance. And it's a shame because we should be each other's biggest supporters. But it is what is is. I, myself, have been trying to get a new job out of MT. I've sent out resumes, clerical stuff mostly simply because I don't know how to do anything else. But I've gotten no bites yet. I'm not giving up. I'm not giving in. But some days I just need to know there is someone else out there who understands what it is like to sit alone at a desk and feel utterly demoralized by the job I was once proud of. And if that someone who understands has found a way out and can offer encouragement that I can do it too, that would be even better. So much better than being told to shut up and quit whining.

Some times we need to be told to snap out of it. But it can be done without the slap across the face.
I used to have nasty QA, and it was indeed - demoralizing
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree, we all need to support each other. It's so tough to make a living these days in this business, what with all the offshoring and everything. I say we all deserve a medal. :)
Conversely, it is also just as bad - when
[ In Reply To ..]
someone expresses that they are happy with their job, making good money, and are in a good place and are immediately pounced upon for gloating, or lying, etc. It is just tragic what has happend to us all. Is there any other profession where they hate each other so much?
I am sorry I missed your post last night... - Up2Here
[ In Reply To ..]
First, I applaud your efforts at making your situation better. You say you want to "Fix" your life but just do not now how. I say that you are already working on it! To take a frank look at your situation and seek avenues to better it is a HUGE step. It is easy to get beaten down and give up with everything we have coming at us these days. The fact that you refuse to give up and refuse to give in says that you do have the "gumption." I applaud your perseverance. You are SO far from worthless! I wish you luck (a little of that never hurts) and much success!

I agree that this board could be a valuable support network, but the current feel of the board is not conducive to the offering up of help or opinion.

With many of us working in a situation that is somewhat isolated from social contact, the bulk of our daily interaction with others in our profession is through electronic means. One of the drawbacks of this type of communication is that there are limited visual clues as to the intent and tone of the information or statements given. Unfortunately, when a large number of people communicating are already frustrated and anxious, it is common that valid questions or statements are interpreted as personal attacks. Additionally, with the anonymity allowed by a format such as this, you get people who would normally be civil in face-to-face conversation feeling free to indulge in drive-by sniping.

I am not saying, "be quiet and fix [your] life." You have every right to vent and seek validation. I am just offering the opinion that ones right to vent does not override another's right to express a different opinion or offer suggestions. The intent is not to invalidate another's suffering or discontent, but conversely, validation of one's unacceptable situation does not invalidate another's success.

Again, I wish you success and happiness and a swift and satisfying conclusion to your own search for a better situation.
Thank you, Up2Here. I really appreciate - that - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
:)

No one needs your permission to vent. You're - trying to control the board.

[ In Reply To ..]
You must have a really inflated sense of self-importance if you think anyone is going to start posting according to whatever guidelines you want to set up here.

Up2Here - MT Headed

[ In Reply To ..]
I wasn't going to respond to any of this. However, I did give your post a "like." I am the person who made the comment about the complaining getting "old," because to me it is. I would guess that if you did that in the real world to your friends, they would turn and walk the other way when they saw you coming. I could choose not to read it but unfortunately there is nothing else on this board left to read. We've all struggled and I am sympathetic and understand that MTs are having a very difficult time, but no one wants to read, or listen to complaints day in and day out, when the people doing it continue to tolerate their bad situation and do not seem to be making any attempt to change it. It is fine to complain and we all do it, but once or twice is enough to make the point, we all get it. Accept it and talk about something else for a change, or move on. I (and others who share my point of view) should not have to leave this forum unless it is our choice so that the chronic complainers can have day, every day.
MT Headed - Up2Here
[ In Reply To ..]
I have seen many of your posts, and for me, the board would be lessened without your presence. Thank you for weighing in!
-gag- - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
How about they start a new board just for - you guys -
[ In Reply To ..]
It could be called "Holier-than-Thou."
Or "Control Freaks" - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Improve reading comprehension - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
"Somehow, we have started thinking that the person with the horrible situation or job bears no responsibility to try to make their situation better."

NOBODY'S SAYING THIS. But if you wanna be self-righteous, it's what you've gotta read into what people are saying on this board.

It meets your OWN emotional need to feel superior to others, to do so. So good on you.

ANOTHER lecture?!? - Must be the holidays. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

It wasn't enough to lecture on the Nuance - board--why not all the boards!

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe you should also head over to the MModal board give them your opinions as well. Heck, you could go to the Faith board and give Jesus a lesson while you're at it.

wish i could like this one - more than once!!

[ In Reply To ..]
Especially the people who aren't MTs anymore. Why keep coming here?

so we are the reason India has our jobs, they are better MTs than we are? - DisagreeMT

[ In Reply To ..]
could not disagree more, sorry. technology and corporate greed, period.

With all due respect... - John Doe

[ In Reply To ..]
these companies throw fire at us, then they have the nerve to complain when we get burned.

By and large, corporate America is very much a den of snakes, as the Black Hundred keep fighting to live in a zero accountability dreamworld (they should be arrested just for WANTING that). The only way to survive is to have a "dead man's switch" type situation, ensuring that if they stop employing you, a lot of innocent people go down with you.

And I have an escape plan, I'm starting at one of Uncle Sam's oldest, most prestigious tech schools, which has a very helpful career services department.

Respect accepted and returned. - Up2Here

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that in many cases we are thrown to the wolves and then berated for not moving fast enough to keep from being bitten. However, the "a lot of innocent people go down with you" seems a bit hurtful and self-serving. Am I misinterpreting this? While the desire to "take down" those in perceived or actual positions of power is certainly understandable and common, what about the innocent people who [figuratively] stand beside you?

I cannot express agreement for arresting someone for an idea (harmful or otherwise). How many times have we thought it would be nice to choke a horrible dictator for expecting us to decipher a pile of drivel? The practice of jailing someone for a thought would detrimental to the free expression and exchange of ideas. Who would decide what thoughts were arrest worthy and what thoughts were not? How do you ever know what one is really thinking?

As far as the "Black Hundred," I confess my ignorance on that particular topic. However, my curiosity is piqued, and I will definitely be looking this up. I would also welcome any more enlightenment you would care to provide.

As far as your "escape plan," BRAVO. Congratulations on you new adventure and may you find success and fulfillment in your path.

Good Grief! - RJ

[ In Reply To ..]
No one forces anyone to come to this board and have to read the “venting” that goes on. If you don’t like it, turn and walk away and take your condescending remarks with you. These MTs come here because they are isolated at home with no one to share their negative experiences with and other MTs going through the same situation can relate with them. Maybe instead of writing novels on your opinions and feelings, go do some soul searching instead. Maybe, just maybe, you will find your heart in the process!

This proves my point. - Up2Here

[ In Reply To ..]
Rather than view my post as a point for discussion, you advise that I turn and walk away. Your response infers that frank discussion and questioning are not acceptable. This is not a vague misinterpretation on my part. It is interpretation derived from the specific wording of your post, "turn and walk away...condescending...novels on your opinions...find your heart."

You don't seem to understand the difference - between venting and asking for advice.

[ In Reply To ..]

It's like when you gripe to your husband - about your bad day

[ In Reply To ..]
and he starts going you should do this, you should do that. Well you don't want to hear that and you don't want advice, you want someone to LISTEN.
Exactly. Although - I have to brag here.
[ In Reply To ..]
My husband is a born listener. He sometimes offers advice, but he's never pushy (ahem, OP). He can tell when I just need to let it out. Then he'll get me a glass of wine or crack a joke, and before I know it I'm laughing.
He is a keeper. - Up2Here
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for sharing. Brag away, I am happy that you have something you want to brag about. :)

Condescension is not the same thing as "frank discussion" - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
come to think of it, when people "vent" here, they're really being the epitome of "frank," aren't they? The brutal honest truth of how much PAIN they are in.

And YOU can't take THEIR frankness. Look in the mirror.
What exactly in my responses gives you the impression... - Up2Here
[ In Reply To ..]
that I cannot take THEIR frankness? I have not lashed out at anyone personally. I have not discounted anyone's point of view whether I agreed with it or not. I have attempted to acknowledge areas of common ground on otherwise differing views. How exactly have I indicated or demonstrated that I cannot take THEIR frankness? Since you direct this personally at me, I invite you to illustrate your point.
I am - Seriously
[ In Reply To ..]
Up2Here with Up2Here and his/her endless horse hockey psychobabble.
Amen - to that
[ In Reply To ..]
It's okay to post a point of view but for crying out loud put away the thesaurus and go to bed.
Up2Here - I agree with everything you have said
[ In Reply To ..]
I think you have a very clear view of the discussion and healthy, sensible suggestions.

I also think you are getting backlash from things I said that they are confusing with yours.

Up2Here is not alone in her thinking on this. When people say that they lost their home, then their car, can't make minimum wage, and you know they are probably sitting at a computer 18 hours and still not making as much as in 8 at MacDonald's, and they say they don't know what to do to get out, it is not "venting."

Even if it were venting, you would be obligated to recognize their wrong thinking about their situation and point it out.

It is not normal to be in a situation like that. Period. It is not normal to say "I am starving because of my job, but I don't know how to get out or have enough gumption to do it."

There is something wrong when a person says they are too passive to help themselves.

There is something wrong when people say they are so abused by their employer that they cry all the time.

What it sounds like is mind-controlled slavery.

No one is helping them by commiserating with them and validating their situation. No one is helping them by pooh-poohing job retraining suggestions in any field.

you are not - "obligated"
[ In Reply To ..]
To do any such thing
Thank you. - Up2Here
[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate that. Very well put. I completely agree.

It worked! - kimosmom

[ In Reply To ..]
In my opinion, your post is a resounding success in that it has provoked an outpouring of passionate, thoughtful responses on both sides of the issue. Without fail, when I come to this site, I wonder if there is any organization that represents us, and if so, who? I'm not a fan of unions for my own personal reasons, but based on my own experiences and the issues posted consistently here, a case could certainly be made for one. The great majority of us are well educated, with skills which should make us much more valuable than our paychecks would suggest, to make no mention of the way we are treated. I read a post in another section regarding our value to the physicians, and I agree that they would likely be stunned to realize what our actual "value" is to our various companies. I wish I had the answers to these issues, but since I do not, my only course of action is to keep seeking, and know that if, no, WHEN, I am successful in my quest, I will be back to share!

Yes, kimosmom - Up2Here

[ In Reply To ..]
Overall, I felt that many of the differing and concurring responses were thoughtfully considered and aptly presented. I, like you, believe that we are a well-educated, intelligent, and thoughtful group of people.

I also have personal feelings that do not support unionization, but I can the value that others might feel this would hold.

I think that physicians are also feeling the press of change right now in many cases and are unaware of the untenable situation that many MTs are in.

I commend you for your perseverance and determination to succeed. I wish you luck and happiness along the way. Should you encounter bumps in the road along the way, I hope they will be short lived and, at least in some way, a valuable learning experience. I look forward to reading your posts of success!

let's all sing kumbaya - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
sorry I just couldn't resist.

Somehow I feel you probably spent an unhealthy - amount of time thinking about this.

[ In Reply To ..]

Discussion - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Having read the discussion above, I feel I've entered the Twilight Zone.

Re: Part of the problem. - raquel

[ In Reply To ..]
Excellent post. I'm glad to see someone contributing thoughtful commentary instead of slamming anyone with a suggestion or differing opinion.

Thank you, Raquel. - Up2Here - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

CMT Exam - How Many Questions Are Asked In Part I (theory) And Part II
Jul 28, 2010

I am planning to take my CMT exams in a couple of months. A couple of queries - How many questions are asked in part I (theory) and part II (transcription performance)? What is the passing grade? Any information will be helpful. Thanks! ...

What's The Hour And Line Count Differences Between Part Time And Flex Part Time?
Jan 12, 2012

I'm currently flex part time only working 18 hours a week but I do have a set schedule.  What are the requirments for part-time and how may hours per week do you have to work.  Also, is there a difference between the line counts for part time and flex part time. Thanks. ...

GOING PART TME
May 11, 2010

Well, after 10 years of working at home for MQ and the company bought out by MQ, and working in-house for many years, I am finally at my "Uncle" stage.  I just turned 62 on March 28.  I applied for SS retirement early and working part time.  It starts in June.  I have just had too much stress in my job, and I am no longer happy doing what I do.  Now I will only HAVE to work 24 hours a week.  I am finally excited about something again.  I can remember the ...

Part-time Job
Dec 08, 2009

I'm getting frustrated about finding a part-time job.  I've done so many interviews, I'm blue in the face.  They all want to start at such a low cpl that I just can't do it.  I'm about ready to try to get a non-MT part-time and see how that goes.  I've heard about Avon and that it can be done from home on-line now.  I'm wondering if that would supplement my income any better.  The only problem I have is I hate going door-to-do ...

Part Time PTO
Jan 20, 2010

I'm considering dropping to part-time.  I checked out the MQ Central for the specs and it indicates 24 hours/0.03 PTO per 48 hr pay period/1.37 hours for a max of 5 days/40 hours yearly. My CCM said if I happened to work 39 hours in a week, I'd get more PTO accumulated during that time.  She said there are PT folks who get just as much PTO as the FT do.  I didn't see anything like that mentioned in the PTO section on MQ Central.    ...

Wondering Part 2
Feb 09, 2010

What programs( ie Chartscript, extext) are easy to learn so that I can learn some more to use for companies that want these languages exclusively? Erin ...

Just A Word PART II
Sep 12, 2010

Guaranteed  every Pollyanna, well-thought-out, professional-appearing response came from an MTSO suit, most probably all of them (one in the same)....GUARANTEED. MTSO's have turned the medical transcription industry into SLAVE LABOR, across the board, no matter the skill level. ...

To Part-Timers ----
Jan 15, 2011

I just read on MQ Central that as a part-timer you are eligible for "partial" benefits.  I had asked on this board before if part-timers were eligible for health insurance and was told no.  What does "partial" benefits mean exactly?  I'd like to drop to part time but absolutely need to keep health insurance.  Thanks in Advance! ...

New Part-time Job
Jul 21, 2011

I was talking to my CCM last week and she said the facilities just let them know they do not need them anymore, just like that.  They go with their own VR.  I don't trust anyone anymore so I secured a part-tiime job that I start in 2 weeks.  I will not be getting much sleep, but I will have to suck it up.  This is an outside job driving 60 miles a day, but I guess we do what we have to do.  I would think at my age (61) a person would'nt have to work so hard. ...

EMT, Now Part Of MQ Is HIRING-NO THANKS!
Nov 23, 2011

nm ...

Looking For Part-time
Dec 02, 2011

Are there any good companies left out there to work for part-time (20-35 hours) with straight typing and no C-phone?  ...

IC V Employee Part 2
Feb 29, 2012

As noted below in this discussion, it's been pointed out working a schedule does NOT necessarily make you an employee.   If you receive less extensive instructions about  what should be done, but not how it should be  done, you may be an independent contractor.  For instance, instructions about time and place  may be less important than directions on how the  work is performed.  ĂŻ‚¢ Training – if the business provi If you receive less ...

Part Time ??
Apr 26, 2012

Does anyone know of any companies that only require 15 hours or so weekly, or a low line count, for part-timers?  I would like to earn some extra money, but have time restraints :( ...

Wow, Proud To Be A Part
May 29, 2012

of this company right now.  We really pulled together and worked as a team to overcome some tall obstacles that were thought unachievable over the holiday weekend; were given nice incentives and got very nice compliments from the higher-up management. We also received a nice little gift for MT week.  So while so many are here seemingly unhappy, I just had to say that those attitudes do not reflect all of us in the trenches.  Probably not even most of us.  But we th ...

If You Are Part Time
Apr 04, 2013

how can you collect UE? I thought that was only for full timer?? ...

I'm A Part-timer
Apr 04, 2013

and I have not been laid off, however I was not scheduled to work today.  I wonder I will get the call tomorrow, my next scheduled work day? ...

Going Part Time.
Jun 02, 2013

I would like to change status to part time.  Anybody know how to go about doing that or has done that? Through HR or TL?  Anybody know HR's contact information? ...

TTS A Part Of Nuance?
Aug 23, 2013

Does anyone know if TTS is a part of Nuance or in the process of?  Thank you. ...

Any Part Time MTs At TTS Out There?
Jul 15, 2014

If part timers are eligible for 401k ? I heard employers are required to offer it to any employee who works at least 1040 hours per year (which is a 20/hr week). ...

Part Time Help
Oct 13, 2014

Is there anyone looking for part time help for just straight typing anymore?   ...

Part Time Or Prn Work
Nov 17, 2009

Would love some opinion on this.  Is it realistic anymore for an MT to pick up part-time and/or p.r.n. work to supplement with any of the "legitimate" companies? ...

MDI Part-timers Making 9 Cpl
Nov 23, 2009

Of the part-time MDIers who have already gotten their packets, was your pay decreased if you were making 9 cpl? Also, I am beginning to think I was the only person making 9 cpl at MDI!  ...

Part-time Benefits
Feb 21, 2010

Can anybody tell me what benefits part-time employees are offered at Transcend, KeyStroke and MedQuist?  Thanks ...

Part Time IC Positions
Mar 17, 2010

For MTs who work part time, what seems to be the minimum hours/lines most companies require you to work? ...

I Got Cut To Part Time Today
Mar 23, 2010

For the last 6 weeks, my company has not had radiology work coming in to be able to get the required line count.  We have had discussions on this, even trained for several accounts, etc...  Yesterday I got an e-mail explaining that because I did not meet the line count for the pay period that I was cut off of all my benefits and now part time.  The company boasts on the main page about how they have over double the amount of offshore MTs than stateside, this makes me mad.  I ...

Part Of News Release I Just Got
Apr 14, 2010

Our improved operating performance reflects our ongoing effort to leverage CBay's offshore processing capabilities, technology, and expertise to create the most efficient provider of technology-enabled clinical documentation and related healthcare solutions in the market This is probably why the Q is coming up with more and more outrageous ridiculous demands on us.  They want us all Gone - without having to pay UE.  I refuse to make it easy for them by quitting.   ...

Dumb Question Part 2
May 09, 2010

Why do you have to have a windows program and/or a word based program on your computer? ...

Transtech Part-time?
Sep 17, 2010

Does Transtech have part-timers?  If so, how many hours are required, and are there any benefits (mostly concerned about vacation)?  TIA ...

T1bN1miMO .. How To Type The Mi Part After N1 And MO??
Nov 19, 2010

? ...

Is Anyone Working Part-time At MQ? - Sm
Jan 07, 2011

Wondering if they have part-time and what that entails, if anyone knows?  Do you have to work specific hours, meaning, worse hours, because you are part-time?  (Some companies make part-timers only work weekends).  Are they any statutory employees? Thanks for any help. ...