A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Some thing(s) meaningful - you can do

Posted: Apr 01, 2012

This post applies only to those MTSOs perpetrating abuses.  If you are employed by an honest hospital, MTSO, etc., this message is not directed at you. We all want your employers to succeed and thrive!

"The indignity of working for a living is well-known to anyone who ever has.  With only a small portion of the product's value finding its way into our wages, we have every right to be pissed off at our bosses."         Unknown

We MTs know all too well what contemporary wage slavery is all about as the above quote articulates so well. 

What can you, indeed WE, do about it? 

If you feel apathetic, alone, isolated – DON'T – it's an illusion you've created! Get active and stop your production if necessary. 

To spark action and ideas here is another quote: 

"Workers have all the rights we need to exert our power, and we do so in a hundred ways on the job; it's just that we rarely do it in a concerted way." Unknown. 

Think the Strike Day coming up is an impossibility?  Think again,

UPS workers won a mass strike in August 1997 http://www.cnn.com/US/9708/13/ups.impact/index.html

MTs have the same power. Many of us are justified in doing so at this point in time. 

Let’s unite now and send a clear message to the dishonest MTSOs out there. 

Think creatively, stay tuned and email if you are interested in more information

I'm on it... - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
It's all so difficult, I must say. I can't email someone without a real name in the real world.

One point I have to make is - have some fun with it. Humor is like a force field around you, to keep you from being destroyed by their nastiness. And it is a nasty battle.

True, but unfortunately... - Berta

[ In Reply To ..]
...I can't pay my bills with humor.

I tried it once on the bank.

BANK: "Ms. Who-Who, WHERE'S OUR MONEY?"

ME: "They say that if you think no one cares whether you're alive or not, miss a couple of payments."

BANK: "Har-har-har (wheeze)! That's a good one. Now, WHERE'S OUR MONEY?"

Nope, I'm talking about legal cases and such like... - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
when you start to involve the legal system, believe me, it is a draining experience. I say use your humor in THAT situation - or if you are protesting with a picket sign, or WHATEVER it is. I don't mean use your humor to just take more of the same abuse.
Ah - I see, yes. Reminds me of Dickens. - Berta
[ In Reply To ..]
In his novel "Bleak House", the core theme involves the case of Jarndyce v Jarndyce, a case involving a will that has been going through the courts literally for decades and supporting scores of lawyers - while accomplishing nothing for the heirs. In fact, by the time it's finally settled, there's nothing left because it's all been eaten up by legal fees.

(In fact, it finally gets settled only because there's no further benefit to the lawyers in keeping the case alive.)

The preponderance of lawyers in our country is one of the chief reasons that we're in so much trouble. I forget the statistics, but the United States has an unbelievably high proportion of lawyers (# lawyers per thousand people) compared to other countries, and it's because of them that business is stifled, things cost twice what they should, and it's become almost impossible to do anything without paying a fee, filing a form or purchasing some kind of insurance for when (not if) you get sued because somebody didn't read the instructions for your product.
Nope, not that kind of lawyer - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
I love lawyers - I mean, the kind that gum up the works for the corporate-religious-antiwoman trifecta running this country.

This country isn't in trouble because of lawyers, in my opinion - it's in trouble because of WAY too much corporate influence (and I mean big huge corporate influence) (multinational influence) on politics - and a population too often swayed by prejudice and fear.

We live in a Bleak House, indeed.
I'mOnIt, and others, regarding sending e-mails that - cannot be (easily) traced back, SM
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm going to do this I found on the web because not being able to respond to someone trying to organize is a problem:

"Find one of those sites that offer free email accounts, for example, Mail.com, and set up an account there. You can create an identity there. Then compose the email from that new account, from a public library, friends' house or any other public place and send it to your manager. Be careful not to mention any clues that could lead back to you." This will be very easy because I often visit a friend in a nearby metro area and, in fact, can also just call and ask her to send a quickie for me.

Another method involves sending via free "remailers." I haven't tried this yet but will because it can be done from my home computer. Instructions can be found at about.com under "How to Send an Anonymous E-mail Message."

Many federal and state agencies, of course, would have no trouble tracking these back, so no one's recommending them for conveying threats to supervisors, etc. (!)

Anyone intending to successfully organize, of course, really needs to find out how to set up a site that can be accessed and used anonymously. BTW, in the process of "getting off the backs of business" over the past quarter century, a lot of laws have been enacted to put business and government squarely on our backs instead, i.e., made a lot of collective-action methods illegal, either outright or through a bunch of legal boobytraps that can be used to bring a group down. Any steps to organize need to be carefully vetted for legality.
There's always the WikiLeaks route - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
:)

But thanks for your perspective / info. I need all I can get!

PS The name of the video I'm making is "10,000 Periods" Tons of fun, get it - periods, punctuation; periods, menstrual cycles (I'm female); and periods, as in PAY periods.

Tons of fun this May! Yeah Occupiers!
you might find this video interesting - link attached
[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjZgsRt8PBc&feature=youtu.be

Otherwise, go to You Tube and look for Wilcock and Drake interview, March 29, 2012.

It's 3 hours long.

I'll bite - when is strike day?

[ In Reply To ..]
I am supposed to keep my time at a job where I am paid by production and not go over 40 hours. But if I produce less per hour b/c of difficult dictators, software problems, looking up terminology, trying to find doctor's names, trying to figure out which Dr. Jones is the cardiologist and which is the pulmonologist, etc., and I am not producing "industry standard," then I have to make it look like I was paid above minimum wage. Following? I have to adjust my time sheet to make it look like I produced enough lines per hour, based on my cpl, so that it comes out to federal minimum wage.

Funny how industry standard is so low now, 200, when all the VR software companies told the MTSOs that MTs' production double, triple, and even quaduple. I saw a Nuance document that stated someone could produce 900 lines an hour on Escription.

How about if the MTSO all sue the software companies for lying? They sold a product that doesn't perform the way they claimed it would because there are too many variables. MTs could countersue for getting screwed out of their living.

There was a very small post on here within the last couple of days about how VR will all change again with doctors just selecting choices from boxes and dropdown boxes, an no more narratives. That is conceivable and happening already with NPs I know who just go from patient to patient with their handheld devices putting in all the patient's information and responses. No more narratives.

That turnabout would be fair play. Until then, though, I am certainly up for a strike day.

900 lph - Berta

[ In Reply To ..]
There's about 1 or 2 out of very Nuance SR documents that's good enough that - IF you got NOTHING else - you might "statistically" do that well, although I have trouble believing it. Maybe 600.

Unfortunately, that's not what you get. The other 8 or 9 SR documents that you get are mediocre at best and often they're complete garbage.

On my last shift one of them was so bad and filled with so much absolutely incomprehensible verbiage like "the tubular lake was time shoe television" that it was like being in the Twilight Zone. I literally deleted the whole thing and transcribed it or I would have gone insane correcting it.

Many reports, you have corrections on nearly every line and sometimes two or three per line.

When you get SR documents that bad, all of the cute little keyboard shortcuts don't help much because you're literally having to repeatedly position your cursor (the voice NEVER stops on the error, so SHIFT-K doesn't work and backing up voice to the error has a lag in it, and then believes you want to repeat several words ahead, etc.)

900 lph? Not.

Sorry - meant to say "1 or 2 out of every 100" documents - nm - Berta

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I know - retyped myself

[ In Reply To ..]
I have retyped reports rather than editing them. It's quicker and you keep your sanity.

sidetracked - lost my train of thought

[ In Reply To ..]
I lost my train of thought with my post "I'll bite." Instead of my having to adjust my time sheet, how about you just pay me what I am worth? That's too obvious for them.

Editing is an entirely different skill set. You have to coordinate edit commands to make your corrections while keeping your train of thought (ha!) on what is actually being said, while reading the mess that the VR spit out.

I wonder if the VR developers thought editors would be able to keep their momentum while making corrections, keeping their foot on the pedal, meaning while they are making corrections they are simultaneously listening ahead? I am trying to imagine how MTSOs and hospitals bought the spiel from these VR developers.

They pulled the potential editing line count out of their ____ and then we get our pay cut. Unbelieveable.

Believe me, the MTSO's never believed the spiel. - Berta

[ In Reply To ..]
I was present during some of the demonstrations, so they could not have believed this crap.

BUT THEY WERE HAPPY TO *USE* THE SPIEL THEMSELVES TO JUSTIFY PAYING US HALF WAGES.

And, it seems, we were willing (and REMAIN WILLING) to be rolled like some drunken homeless bums.

WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH US, PEOPLE? We only have to stand up against this and speak with ONE VOICE for ONE DAY and it would come to a screeching halt.
One Voice One Day - with you
[ In Reply To ..]
I am with you!!! Get it going. Use social media.
I'm making a video - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
that's all I can say. I'll let you know when it launches.
Put it on You Tube. It'll get a LOT of exposure! - Plus we can all post links to it - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
on Facebook, Twitter, etc., and ask readers to keep spreading the link - that the information in that video needs to get out to everyone who's ever been seen by a doctor, and to everyone who is fed up with unfair labor practices in the United States.

Looking forward to your video!!!!
Oops not supposed to mention those sites here - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
The name of video is 10,000 Periods, fyi - get it, I'm female (10,000 periods, feels like it around menopause), and then as an MT - heck, I must've been through 10,000 periods haven't I, adding them in, especially with VR - and then also, I've been doing this so long - that's 10,000 PAY periods - oops, they don't pay me right, oops, oops, oops.
Oh! - Your project
[ In Reply To ..]
is a video!! Please post it and send link when it is finished. Also take photos or videos on strike day (everyone) and send links.
It's called 10,000 Periods - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
I think you should be able to do a search for it on Google or Yahoo or Bing and find it.

I'm not a professional videographer, so don't get too excited :)

May 1st - that's when occupiers are striking - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
join in the general strike, that's the idea. Can contact your local news media - would be a fresh angle for them, wouldn't it? Just have a catchy slogan for 'em on your picket sign.

Similar Messages:

Some Thing(s) Meaningful YOU/WE Can Do
Apr 11, 2012

Stand up for yourself and exert your individual power and you will find there absolutely can be MT jobs with, "YEARLY EVALUATIONS (yes!)...RAISES (double yes!)...PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITIES (I can't believe it!)...absolutely stunning, you don't realize how brainwashed you are, how hammered you are, till you GET OUT."  The foregoing is a quote from the person who posts as wheres_my_job.  S/he is right on about the brainwashed part.  We have the power and just don't realize it an ...

Meaningful Use?
Jul 15, 2014

We received an e-mail today about "Meaningful Use" and the EMR.  Apparently the doctors are supposed to input their own reports for the hospital to get paid and soon we will be out of a job?      ...

Meaningful Use
Apr 11, 2015

read the article in the link -- has more to do with physicians and the next "meaningful use" level; pretty interesting regarding coming requirements, the big companies involved with software, etc.  Not pertinent directly to MT but I found it interesting just the same.  sorry if I should have put this on some other board (I work for Nuance).  ...

In The Know Meaningful Phrase?????!!
Oct 31, 2012

Does anyone have any idea what these emails are about?  They seem rather lengthy, IMO, and I am not getting the reason/objective of them.  TIA!!! ...

Will Meaningful Use Requirements Knock Out Scribes?
May 03, 2012

Interesting article about stage 2 meaningful use, particularly committees trying to decide if it prohibits anyone but a physician entering data into the EMR.  The article specifically references scribes, but I wonder what the implications are for MT. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/do-doctors-have-be-typists-get-mu-incentives ...

Tell Me About "meaningful Use" For EMR Please. Does This Mean Docs Can No Longer Dictate
Nov 07, 2012

nm ...

New EMR Mandate "meaningful Use"
Apr 29, 2011

I am jujst starting to research this issue and wondering if anyone here has any information on how this affects us as MTs.  The EMR I am currently working in is Medent and they are trying to comply with this new mandate.  For me this means the docs point and click on the assessment/diagnosis.  Then I type the dictated Plan/Comments.  both these fields are printed out for the patients in compliance with the 'meaningful use" which says that the patient will have to be prov ...

One More Thing!
Mar 11, 2010

Just one more thought.  I have never, ever, known anyone who has left Medquist or Spheris and regretted it.  They may bounce back and forth just to get by, but in the long run, when they are finally finished, they are finished.  For all of those MTs who don't want to start over, please don't take that attitude.  I did and it only got worse and when I did change it wasn't that bad at all.  Again, could it get any worse?  ...

And Another Thing...........
Mar 15, 2010

Not that I'm not glad it was an increase rather than a pay cut, but I think for a lot of us this "raise" is going to just even us out for when he start getting docked pay April 1.  Funny that this "raise" is starting April 1, isn't it?  ...

I Did The Right Thing It Seems
May 02, 2010

Now I know I did the right thing in not only leaving the Q but leaving the field altogether.  I had another physical last week and my blood pressure was back down to 120/70, and my doctor was very happy when he learned I had quit. They wasted no time in sending me labels to ship the computer back, though.  Oh well.. they don't want the monitor, or mouse, or keyboard, so I'm keeping those! ...

Is L5 On S1 The Same Thing As L5-S1
Dec 30, 2010

In half the report the doc says L5-S1, the other half he says L5 on S1.  Is this the same thing?  ...

Can Anyone Tell Me How To Do That PSA Thing?
May 12, 2011

I clicked on each of the highlighted areas in the e-mail, but where do you go to set this up? I must be needing more coffee or something.  I just dont get it.  Read it 3 times now. ...

I Tell You One Thing That I Know For Certain
Jun 17, 2013

If this dictator says, "peeeeeeeeeeeeriod" one more flippin time, I am going to scream as loud as I possibly can and then punch the daylights out of this monitor! ...

Is There Such A Thing As
Jul 13, 2013

Urine welkenton?  Not sure of spelling, since I'm not sure it's really a word.  They could also be saying welkington.  That's what the dictation sounds like and I've listened to it several times on numerous days.  Can't find a reference to it anywhere and I've tried many variations.  Wondering if it's a really old term or if I'm completely misunderstanding.   Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ...

One More Thing Before I Go
Nov 23, 2013

I do believe now that they are starting to target those of us who were making 10/6.  In the past, on my old accounts, I was audited no more than once a month.  If I failed an occasional audit, they would wait another month to see how I did on that one and since I always passed, no action was taken.  There was also no action after I took more than the allowable time off.  Then, at the beginning of November, I was moved to another BOB.  After being on the account for less ...

I Tried To Do The Right Thing But....
Dec 12, 2014

I just can't stick it out 2 weeks :(   Every job I type just stresses me out more and more.  I am to the point that I don't care if I get my 20 hours PTO I have built up.   I am emailing back and forth with my TSM right now and it sounds like she is reading off a script!  "Take each report as they come and try to do your best to prevent errors"  No $%^& lady!!  Does she think we don't know that?????  ARRRGGH I am so beyond frustrate ...

And Here's One Other Thing!
Apr 01, 2015

Just had a doctor dictate "potassium 40 mg," (should have been mEq) and then further down, "Levemir 40 mg" (should have been units). If I had not left blanks for them, that would have been 6 points off. It also compelled me to use my allotment of blanks for that report! But they, of course, do not get penalized for their mistakes. On the other hand, our pay is docked. There is a double standard here that needs to be changed. ...

Is There Such A Thing As Wetzler?
Mar 01, 2010

The sentence is ... The ---- was normal to slightly below average. It sounds like wetzler...i did research but I can't find the correct way to spell it.. ...

Would That TAA Thing Cover Something Like This?
Mar 27, 2010

The university down the street will be offering an undergraduate degree in Arabic.  It is one of only 3 offer in this country.  Now THAT ought to be useful.  Sometimes, if you already have an undergraduate degree, they let you skip the basics and finish in 2 yrs.  I would certainly consider that, especially since there appears to be no end in sight to our troubles with Arab-speaking countries. ...

I Love Getting NJA First Thing And Then
Aug 19, 2010

and right at the LAST MINUTE, ONE job comes in.  You type it and then have to sit for another 15 minutes. Rinse, repeat. ...

Is There Such Thing As QA By The Hour
Aug 27, 2010

Are there companies that pay to do QA hourly?  If so where are they and who?  I do QA now and work 15 hours a day for less than $100 ...

OMG! This May Just Be The Most Annoying Thing
Oct 20, 2010

that I have had in a dictation, and I am sure that the dictator (PA-C)  is annoyed as well.  It's always annoying when she chitty-chats with the "girls in the office" while dictating, but in this dictation, one of the girls is mocking back everything the dictator says and continues to do so, after a little chuckle from dictator each time, to the point where the dictator finally has to tell her that this is important, it is for an attorney and she cannot mess it up.  ...

Is An MRI And MR Arthrogram The Same Thing
Nov 18, 2010

nm ...

And Another Thing About That DQS Productivity BS...
Nov 30, 2010

Gross Lines?  Net Lines?  What exactly does that mean.  Should net lines be more?  If I really average what they say I do, I should be making 27/hour???  I times the net lines by my rate = 27.  Well, that is for SURE not the case.  I only wish.  And what difference does it make whether we use the mouse or not IF that is the most efficient way?  Will their ridiculousness never cease to amaze me?  ...

Is There Such Thing As An Eye Gram?
Jan 26, 2011

....his eye gram reveals flat optic disks.... ...

Is There Such A Thing As 4++/5 Strength
Mar 24, 2011

I've heard of 4+/5, and he just used that for strength in the upper extremity, but then he said 4++/5 strength of the lower extremity.  Is there such a thing as ++ or do you think he just accidentally said it twice.  I'm not finding anything anywhere.   Thx. mt ...

ChartScript And CS.net - Are These The Same Thing?
May 06, 2011

What exactly is the difference, if any?  Is this a transcription-based platform or a voice-recognition type?  Company only states cs.net as platform. ...

Where's The 99% Thing Coming From?
Jun 03, 2011

just wonderin, cuz this board is the only place i've heard of it.  is it in email or MQ central or what? ...

Is There Such A Thing As Vicodin 3 ??
Sep 09, 2011

ALLERGIES: PERCOCET AND VICODIN 3. Possibly Tylenol No. 3 ? Just leave 'as is' and flag? ...

Another One QA Tells Me One Thing The Other Another..
Feb 13, 2012

I cant do this much longer...So sick of this, last time I emailed the QA lead about a month ago I go no response on clarification.. ...