A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medication Dosages - TIQ

Posted: Mar 08, 2013

Is an MT expected to look up and confirm all medication dosages in a report, even when dictated clearly?

doctor is responsible in the end. ridiculous. don't, say you did. - if they are THAT bad God save the patient NM

[ In Reply To ..]
[

In a QA evaluation I was given an error for not - TIQ

[ In Reply To ..]
confirming the med dosage. It was dictated clearly and not one of the common medications. Being paid production, we shouldn't be responsible for this.

For some reason they DO think we are responsible for this. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I agree with you, not right and not common practice that I know of. - sad. would not work there.NM

[ In Reply To ..]
/
Nuance recently told us, not that we had to look up each - med, but that we were responsible for correct
[ In Reply To ..]
dosages. Not just common meds, which I do agree all competent MTs should know, but all meds. As with confirming names and dates, mistakes are supposed to be caught by us.

We're, of course, not paid even a quarter penny more for this sudden upgrade in expertise and responsibility, which, let's face it, is a far bigger difference between skilled and newbie than just being able to make out the dictation itself.

If You Are Not Familiar - ...then, yes

[ In Reply To ..]
I have always, always looked up doses I am not familiar with. After time, you really rarely have to look those up because you get so used to them. Every now and then a rare med comes up and you have to look it up. New meds come up, too, but once you look them up once or twice, you should remember them, basically.

You should type what the doctor dictates. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
We should not have to look up what a doctor clearly dictates. If we "catch" a mistake on the doctor's part, then we can kindly flag it for him. Otherwise, HE said it, we type it.

As someone stated before, doctor's work in specialties, but we type all specialties. I worked in an office with an endocrinologist and patients would sometimes want the doctor to go ahead and write a prescription for something that they generally got from a different doctor and the doctor would tell them no, that he wasn't sure about the dosage of that medication or he wasn't clear on that medication. So, they get paid MUCH more than we do and it is okay for them not to look up a dosage, yet we are expected to know every single dosage and every single medication? That is crazy talk!

not quite... - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
MTs are support for the dictators. It's our job to catch most dictator mistakes and either fix them or flag them, not as a courtesy, IT'S OUR JOB.

It's ridculous to think we should be paid top dollar for just "HE said it, we type it." If THAT is all we're supposed to be doing, then 4 cpl is fair pay.

Catching most of their dictation mistakes, including medication dosages such as levothyroxine 125 mg or vancomycin 1 mg, is what earned our top dollar pay.

This is also how we catch our own mistakes. If an MT doesn't know in detail what he dictator is talking about, how is the MT going to know when the term she just transcribed is incorrect, even though it's clearly what she "heard" (or should I say mis-heard) him dictate.

Anyone can just type what they hear. It takes a true professional MT to interpret and transcribe correctly what's being dictated.

There are always going to be ambiguous dictator mistakes that we can't fix or catch, but as professionals it's our job to know the difference.

BTW, with Google, all you have to do is type in the drug name and then a number, such as "levothyroxine 1" and it'll give you auto-fill suggetions which will 99% of the time answer your dosing question.

Furthermore, as another poster said, once you look it up a few times, you won't have to anymore because you'll remember it.
Who is getting paid top dollar these days?? - Not I said the fly! sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Please share where, sick of making minimum wage! Oh and part of the reason I make minimum wage is that I do care about accuracy and look up what I can. In no way do I believe I should be required to know every drug and its correct dosage, nor should I be expected to look each and every one up (I've seen upwards of 40 drugs per patient in acute care). I'm not an MD and I'm not a pharmacist. Pay me those wages and I'll gladly do it.
go back to school - Des
[ In Reply To ..]
Get financial aid to pay for your education until you graduate. If you're making minimum wage, then you'll most certainly qualify.

The problem isn't verifying drugs/terms, it's that you don't want to have to do the work. You think that all you should have to do is type what you hear, or THINK you hear, and that should be good enough and they should still pay you $16+/hr. WRONG! It̢۪s our job to continue to learn and get better with every report, and to KNOW what̢۪s being dictated versus just assuming.

Do you really think that doctors, pharmacists, nurses, aides, techs aren̢۪t required to regularly participate in (and pay for) continuing education just to continue to practice? Just FYI, aides and techs average about $12-$14/hr and they work their backsides off. They̢۪re on their feet all day, every day. They have to purchase their own uniforms, pay for the additional gasoline expense, daycare, etc., all while having to pay for their continuing education requirements just to keep their certifications and licensures so they can continue to work, and they get to do it for about $14/hr. None of these things is required for an MT, even when we were making top dollar.

We used to be paid top dollar because we were assets, not financial drains. A lazy MT is a financial drain. An MT who doesn't care if what she's transcribed is correct is a financial drain. An MT who can't (or won't) catch and verify simple dictation errors is a financial drain. An MT who can̢۪t (or won̢۪t) follow instructions is a financial drain.

Bottom line, when our overall value was high, our pay was high. Now that our overall PERCEIVED value has dropped, our pay eventually followed suit.

regarding doctors not refilling meds for another doctor's patient... - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
The reason that one doc doesn't fill another doc's Rx like that is for continuity of patient care. This is most especially true with pain medications.

Doctors don't refill other doctors' patients' medications because they don't know what was discussed between that doctor and the patient, including exactly why the patient is on that medication and, yes, also the correct dosage. Patients are often put on medications for offlabel reasons, such as being put on an antiepileptic medication for bipolar disorder or weight loss.

If that patient is transferring his/her care, that's a different situation altogether.

Yes, doctors get paid more than us, but they have to KNOW more than us and they're responsible for much, much more than us. They're on the front lines; we're their support.

Would you want someone supporting you who had no clue what you were doing or just didn't care about helping you do the best you could do?

I agree - with you

[ In Reply To ..]
I look up anything I'm not familiar with.

I don't care too much about what is "expected" of me, my standard is what I expect of myself.

I type what is said, flag it so doc knows his error and hopefully - pays more attention next time. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
Not saving his arse from a law suite.

Short answer, NO. I only check when it does -sm - XXX

[ In Reply To ..]
not seem right or if not clearly spoken and I need to see if it is 15 or 50, but I can also just check the patient's chart (as I can access it) and do that too especially when the doc is butchering the drug name and it is impossible to figure out. If I think (or know) something is wrong then I notify the doctor's office just to be on the safe side. This does not happen very often though luckily.

Of course it depends on who you work for - - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
but when I come across something that's an obvious mistake like that I'll put a (sic) to let them know that that was the way it was dictated, not my mistake. Nobody's ever called me down for it, so I'll keep doing it unless they do.

Medication Dosages - TIQ - going hungry

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told by my last job and my new job YES, it is our responsibility, the transcriptionist, to know the dosages of medications, even though I did not go to pharmacy school or medical school. I typed Brovana 0.05 like dictator said, it was 0.005 and got pointed. More work, less money in our pockets. Ridiculous.

You do not have to "know" - the dose, but...

[ In Reply To ..]
..you should know that you don't know, and look it up. I doubt anyone said you have to know all the medication doses/dosages.

If there is a med that's new or that I'm not familiar with, I look it up to double check the dictator.

If you were sick in the hospital, wouldn't you want whoever is transcribing YOUR report to do that?

Similar Messages:

Unsure Of Whole Sentence With Medication Dosages. Help Please
Mar 25, 2010

A prescription of OxyContin 10 mg 1 p.o. q.12h. X #14 and Percocet 10/325 1-2 p.o. q.4-6 hours #40 was prescribed to the patient. TIA. ...

Anyone Know Of A Decent Medication Website For Normal Dosages?
Apr 25, 2011

My Quick Look Drug program has gone caput and I need to order a new one.  :(  Anyone know of a decent drug website until I can get that ordered??? ...

Med Dosages
May 22, 2010

Seroquel 350 mg at bedtime.  Magnesium 30 mL every 12 hours as needed for heartburn. Does Seroquel come in a 350 mg dose? Does magnesium come in mL and used for heartburn? These are said pretty clearly, but I've never heard of them. ...

Different Dosages?
Dec 13, 2010

In the course of this dictation, the dosage of Mobic has been given in two different ways.  In the med list, it is listed as Mobic 15 mg daily, and in the impression/plan, it is dictated as 7.5 mg b.i.d.  Does this need to be flagged or is it okay to leave it like this since the mg come out to be the same for the day? ...

Thoughts About Our Responsibility For Dosages
Dec 30, 2011

This item was, at some point in time, added to our company standards/specification guidelines regarding dosages. I would like to know if other companies have this same policy, and other MTs thoughts on it.  This decision must have been made by an attorney, I don't know, but I question its validity, especially on a verbatim account.    MEDICATIONS: Always verify the correct spelling of medications, including the brand versus generic designation, dosa ...

Combining Drug Dosages
Jun 19, 2013

When typing combined drug doses like hydrochlorothiazide 25/12.5 is it appropriate to use a hyphen or a slash?? I'm finding it both ways. ...

100 Most Popular Medications And Dosages
Jul 13, 2013

Does anyone know where I could find a list of the top 100 medications prescribed and their dosages?  Maybe one of you have such a list.  Hopeful! ...

A Site Grouped By Dosages Of Meds?
May 07, 2013

So many of these docs, I can hear the dosage clearly, but some completely slaughter the name of the med and others slur through it.  Is there a site I may be able to list the dosage and search that way?  I haven't found anything like this.  Thanks! ...

Doctors Who Abbreviate Drug Dosages
Jun 18, 2015

I have noticed a disturbing trend with the doctors I transcribe for.  They will dictate medications in a dangerous way.  For example Nexium 40 rather than Nexium 40 mg.  They are seldom dictating mg, mcg, etc.  I find this dangerous and wonder if it is laziness on their part or apathy or something else.  Not to mention that it falls on the MT to "help them out" so to speak which takes time.  I just find it frustrating.  Thanks for listening. ...

BP Medication S/l Ass Ee Uh
Nov 07, 2009

s/l   ass ee up ...

Medication Name Help Please
Dec 27, 2009

This is an ER visit for a pt in because her debrillator "fired".  Hx of MI, CAD, htn, high cholesterol.  The med is on her allergies list.  Sounds like "Topiglide." ...

URI Medication?
Jan 19, 2010

Doctor is dictating a medication almost assuredly for a URI -- s/l "Ultahist/Altahist liquid". I actually had this question in the past and no one was able to help or just didn't see my post. Any help would be appreciated. TIA ...

Medication Help
Mar 29, 2010

Two drugs in question.  S/L Novus and Resista?  Never heard them/cannot find them anywhere.  Any ideas???? ...

Medication Help...
Aug 19, 2010

s/l mer-acid-iol 300 mg 2 tablets b.i.d. also on Cozaar, Celexa, metformin and Norvasc.  ...

Medication, Maybe
Aug 28, 2010

I keep hearing on patients who are in the ICU with all kinds of tubes sticking out of them something that sounds like "sea sas per protocol", often listed along with medications. Today in the same doc I heard the above and also somethng tha sounds like "citra carium per protocol" and suspect it may refer to the same thing. Any ideas? thanks a bunch. ...

Medication S/l Sor-cox-a-bin
Sep 15, 2010

Thank you. ...

Name Of A Medication
Oct 01, 2010

Doctor says the patient has heavy bleeding and cramping.  She was prescribed "Listerra" or Listetta?  The doctor has a pretty heavy accent.  which did not help.  The Listerra will not prevent unwanted pregnancy like the Mirena will. So apparently this is not a birth control pill but something to help with the heavy periods and cramping?   Thanks. ...

Need Medication Help
Jan 19, 2011

Anybody ever hear of a medication that sounds like "Lotanapress?" ...

Medication (may Be OTC)
Mar 09, 2011

Patient takes Synthroid, Inderal, Estrace, Prilosec and S/L prevalate powder as well as Elavil and naproxen. Thanks in Advance! ...

Another Medication
Mar 09, 2011

Patient with history of heart disease, CHF, sleep apnea, hypertension, diabetes mellitus and arthritis.  Medication S/L quanapril or kawanapril...? Thanks in Advance. ...

Medication Help Please?
Mar 19, 2011

Sounds like toe-fair-oh Tofarro?  Telfaro? Dosage is 600 mg. ...

Medication S/l
May 08, 2011

Med s/l Mecaptopurin and Humira- seems like should be a Crohns medicine, not sure.... ...

Medication Name Help
Aug 08, 2011

Dictator says "fluticasone? 50 mcg 2 squares daily. Not sure about the medication name, but is definately 50 mcg 2 squares daily. I am not familiar with medication squares? Any suggestions? Patient has hypertension, hypokalemia, and is admitted for renal consult. Thanks! ...

What Is That Medication Again?
Nov 17, 2011

To bring back the topic of dictators absolutely mangling words, one of my NPs just dictated:   "Her umbilified was just doubled by another physician to help her mood." Hmm, me thinks you meant ABILIFY?  There's no M in that word.   Gotta love it. ...

Help With Medication !
Nov 24, 2011

It's Turkey Day and I'm working and I'm already having trouble.  Her confusion occurred again last night but was not nearly as severe as the previous night.  She seemed to worsen after she was given a dose of (sounds like "Pa-cy-an-ex") last night for her coughing.  Thanks !! Happy Gobble Gobbel to all !! ...

Medication That S/l Sent-a-men?? Help!
Jan 07, 2012

.. ...

Medication Help Please...
Mar 04, 2012

Orthopedic new patient...long list of past medical history issues and medications with no inclination of what each medication could be for..... However, sounds like he is sayin "Althamica" have been searching for an hour and can't find anything that even resembles...anyone familiar with this by chance??? ...

TIA Medication
Aug 03, 2014

He had a mild TIA two or three years ago, and he is taking s/l "Elaquid" for it. ...

Medication S/l: TRY-VO
Feb 24, 2015

psych report, but not sure if it is a psych medication: dose is four 25-mg tabs TID.   thanks in advance!  ...

Need Help With Medication
Mar 20, 2015

Cannot locate name of medication s/l cell-bri-mate, possibly antiseizure ...