A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medical Records Clerk - Question

Posted: Sep 27, 2014

Hi all, I have a job interview for a position as medical records clerk in an orthopedic center. I quit MT about 3 years ago and did a few things that didn't work out, and now I have an opportunity to interview for a medical records clerk. I had sent them a resume, most of which was transcription, and they called me to come in and see them. Does anyone know if I can transition to it that easily? My friends all think that just because I know medical terminology, that I can just transition into this, but I'm not so sure. I'm assuming they'll have some sort of training, but I am not convinced. Has anyone here transitioned to that position? I have a vague idea of what a medical records clerk does---just kind of keep patient files organized and things like that. Any ideas, thoughts?

I do both - jojo

[ In Reply To ..]
Medical records is a walk in the park compared to the knowledge you need to have to do transcription. You will do just fine.

Medical Records Clerk - FormerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I left MT a few years back for a front office position that included some transcription (only about 10% of the job is transcription). I have never regretted it! I thought it would be hard to be around people all day, every day, but have really enjoyed it. What you will probably find is that you are over qualified for the position (as I was) but having a paycheck you can count on, paid vacation, and some benefits is such a relief!

Good luck with the interview!

Thanks! - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I actually did try my hand at a front-office patient registration position, but they offered me no training and it ended up being a disaster, so I quit. While I'm sure it was "easier" than MT, I still needed proper training on the software to register patients, as well as verifying insurance properly, etc.

I think if they have a training plan in place, I could probably handle it, but not every place offers that,especially if they are busy with patients and such.

I'm still open to feedback about that type of position. Of course, I looked it up on the Internet in terms of the duties, but it's not like hearing from someone who has actually done it.

Training - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
A medical records position should be well within your current capacity to do and learn. For something as small as an orthopedic center, it should be a breeze.

If they use paper, you will probably be registering patients, making patient records, filing loose material in them, filing and retrieving records, etc. If they are electronic, you will be doing the electronic equivalent.

How do you learn to do this? They will probably show you the ropes, but if they had only one person and they left, you may have to teach yourself the details. Find resources and use your initiative. It won't be that difficult--this is not rocket science.

There are textbooks on medical record technology and medical front office. They are written at adult night school or early college level. These explain how medical records are handled.

For any software, just read the instructions. If you don't have them, call the company. They all provide support.

The internet is a great resource, too. If you could google medical terms, you can google HIPAA and everything else.

Develop contacts that can help you. If you need to know how to verify insurance or something, you could ask on the coding board. Many people there know about that. You also work in a community filled with other medical offices. You can ask their medical record clerks for help.

I posted a link below to a book that contains what you need. Maybe you should take a look at on Amazon and google some of the topics in the table of contents before your interview.

To the OP - BTDT

[ In Reply To ..]
Medical records clerk is kind of an all encompassing job title. It may involve front desk registration, processing birth certificates, scanning and indexing, release of information or other things, it may even involve transcription. You will need training but with your MT background you should do well, good luck with the interview.

No problem - pl

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with the other posters here - you should have no problem. I actually was a medical records clerk before doing MT, and although they required a medical terminology course, that job was a lot easier than MT.

Medical records clerk - CINDY

[ In Reply To ..]
I transferred to Med Rec from surgery and it was a breeze. I had to do the birth certificates which is going to patient's rooms getting their info and then typing the birth certificates, also file the charts, put the transcription where it belongs in the chart. They have to train you, I mean at least show you what to do, so I should be easy, just take notes if you need to.

Thank you all! - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much for the input and also resources to check. I really appreciate it!

Same sm - Kindred Spirit

[ In Reply To ..]
Same here. I am transitioning out. Here's what I'm thinking: First, working at home (blah) is not a deal breaker for me either -- ready to get out in the real world again. I'm an emotional wreck over some changes lately at my job.

AHDI has an online course that teaches EHR for $125. Penn Foster has an EMR course for about $300, but you get the software with it. They both teach you basics of opening a chart, entering patient data, ordering lab tests, etc. Sounds exciting!!!!

Then, I want to take a short course of Coding, just to familiarize myself with the technique. Well, my community college offers a certificate, but man their registration fee for even 1 or 2 credits is outrageous!!!

So, back to Penn Foster. They have a med coding/billing course for about $750. You even get to sit in for 1 testing, whatever that means.

My goal is to be able to work with the EMR with light coding. I have no interest in getting to the Acute Care stage of coding, but I think if I am in a specialty office, I should be able to hold my own.

Good luck to us all! I've got to make changes too.

To Kindred Spirit - From OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I had my interview, and I think it went well. My transcription experience will help in that they use a service and they need someone to fix messes and also file the dictations.

Right now, they're not on EMR, but they might be getting it soon.

Suggestion to you? I don't know if I would pay to learn EMR. Most offices would train you--and I doubt it's complicated. It could look good on your resume if you have a course under your belt, but I wouldn't spend too much money on it.

I'll know by the end of the week if I have the job or not. Hope so, pay is pretty good, and any dictations I would fix fall into the hourly rate.

I was passing through the thought the same thing about EMR, why pay for - something you can lean in 1 day on the job. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
EHR as well. Way overpriced, I could start teaching for half the price!

People, be careful with these matchbook schools.
Agree - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
...and you really don't know what kind of training you'd be getting. You also don't want to box yourself into just medical office software.

I think if you want to get out of MT and into office work, you'd be better served by taking a class in basic office software that you may not have experience in---like Excel, Power Point, etc. If you go through your community center or perhaps local adult school, it will be much cheaper than some of these so-called online classes.

Checking your local newspaper classified ads is a good start to see what most offices require you know to work in an office these days, medical or not.

EHR/EMR - Kindred Spirit
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, that makes sense. Thank you both for that. I might just go with the AHDI course for $125 or just wait and see. You're right, I may just go into a regular office job and stay out of the medical field altogether.

I'm noticing the word "word processor" in a lot of job listings, which makes me very happy because that is how I started out. Very nice job in Atlanta, 20 minutes away, legal office, beautiful building, right across from Fox.

I'd definitely settle for a nice cubicle job anywhere, decent money ($10 would work) and just ocme home and "forget about it."

Thanks guys. I'm going to scratch that idea. Honestly, I don't know if I want to even crack open a book for coding. My heart is NOT in the industry anymore.
To Kindred Spirit - From OP
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think most offices use the one-unit word processors of 20 years ago. It's basically now Word, Word Perfect, etc, all rolled into your PC. So, you would have to know one of those word processing software programs.

I would stay away from AHDI, actually. I'm not convinced they have anything they can offer you. You may choose to work in a medical office, but the office would train you on whatever software they use.

I still think that $125 would be better served taking a course in Excel, Quick Books, Power Point, Office, things of that nature.
Word processor sm - Kindred Spirit
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, your are absolutely right. I need to work on PowerPoint and Excel. That's a great idea ... to work on those skills, I mean a REALLY good idea. Thank you so much for that advice!!!

Agree, if you want to take a course... - Informaticist

[ In Reply To ..]
There are absolutely FREE EHR resources on the internet, provided through the federal government. Most of the matchbook schools are using them themselves, but charging you.

You should not need to take a course to learn how to enter patient info. Seriously, that is ridiculous nonsense aimed at high school dropouts. If you are already using a computer to transcribe, you are not at that low level! Any school claiming to give you "EHR software" is misleading you, because there are many, many EHRs and I would bet that none of them use some piddly student version!

You also need to note that employers do not respect courses from matchbooks. Either take legitimate, non-for-profit college courses or do free online courses. There are tons of them.

I hate to say it, but your post almost sounded like shilling for a matchbook. If it was, shame!
No, no shilling here... - Kindred Spirit
[ In Reply To ..]
Honestly, I was just looking for an affordable program to give me some leverage when I went start pounding the pavement looking for a "real" job.

Did not know about the free federal government classes.

I'm just looking around right now and was jazzed about some new ideas.

I'll probably just get me a used copy of "Coding for Dummies" and call it a day.
"Coding" programs do not all teach - the same thing
[ In Reply To ..]
"Affordable" is not what you need to be looking for. If you do that, you will end up wasting your money and wasting your time.

If you don't care about what you are doing, employers won't care about hiring you.

Medical Records Clerk question - CINDY

[ In Reply To ..]
Just a question. Are you starting out at more than 10.00 an hour. Because if you are we should all just go for medical records clerk. You get paid by the hour. We are killing ourselves for peanuts. The only thing is you can't work at home, but you at least can pay your bills.

Answer - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I had the interview today. The starting salary is $10 per hour with medical & dental after 3 months.

I'm in Florida in an area where the pay is much lower than the rest of the country, so I am pretty certain the rate would be higher elsewhere.

I don't know if they're going to offer me the job or not, but I did notice everyone was wearing scrubs and you can buy scrubs at Walmart for pretty cheap. Some places even supply the scrubs.

Answer - CINDY

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow. Everyone makes more than we do. We have to type faster than a hurricane to make any money, have to know all this terminology and how to type the reports. We are really get a raw deal here. There was a time when I would have never considered be a medical record clerk after I transferred to transcription, but that was in the 80s, so I don't even remember my pay rate. I hope you get it. That is good and you will get a raise each year too more than likely, usually hospitals do that. And you will have a good retirement and insurance. Scrubs aren't that much even from a uniform store, and Walmart's are cheaper. Good luck!
Thank you Cindy - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks! I hope I get the job, too. It's close to home. It's actually an orthopedic surgery clinic, 4 doctors. Seems like a nice place to work.

Will keep you posted.

Medical Records Clerk - FormerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm in FL too and started at $12.75 plus benefits. I wear street clothes but have started thinking about scrubs and sneakers. Definitely more comfortable than what I've been wearing every day.

Similar Messages:

MT To Medical Records Clerk
Sep 26, 2012

Anyone go from being an MT to a Medical Records Clerk at a hospital? I was thinking with my experience in transcribing medical records and being familiar with the terminology and HIPPA, an MT would be a good candidate. Any thoughts on this? ...

Question: Are Medical Records Clerk Jobs
Mar 17, 2014

I saw one advertised I was interested in, but wondered if the EMR is going to do away with that position, as well.  Thanks for any info! ...

Medical Records Tech Job
Aug 01, 2010

A local hospital is hiring a medical records tech. For experience, all they ask is basic computer experience, knowledge of medical terminology, and a h.s. diploma.  Hmmmmm...I've had the terminology certificate for a year, plus a completion certificate for MT and several specialty certs, and I passed the RMT exam. Think I ought to take a shot at this even though I have no prior experience with filing, records, etc.? ...

Anybody Out There Medical Records Reviewer?
Jun 25, 2011

I've heard something recently about this and just wondering if it is a good parallel to MTing and if the pay is better?  ...

CHECK YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS!!
May 07, 2012

I would advise EVERYONE to get a copy of their medical records and view them.  I had to get copies from my  PCP (cost me $15.00, but worth it), and I found soooo many mistakes. Some I know were the MT's, but most were the doctor's mistakes.  For instance, they had under my family history in the last year of mother having diabetes.  My mother NEVER had diabetes, and don't know where they even got that at, as I found earlier in my file my family history, which wa ...

What Are Electronic Medical Records?
Sep 13, 2012

Would anyone who does EMR editing be willing to share their experiences with me?  Is EMR editing enjoyable, how does it compare to traditional QA editing, what does the job entail, etc? Thank you! ...

What Is Electronic Medical Records?
Jun 27, 2013

What is electronic medical records?  Goodwill is teaching a 3 month class starting soon.  I have heard about a government mandated thing that doctors have to go electronic by Jan. 2014, but not much more than that.  I know someone could shed some light.  I am thinking of taking the class, but don't know if it would be worth it.  Although, I think I could sleep through the medical transcription portions, LOL. ...

NSA Uncrypts Medical Records Too
Sep 13, 2013

Article from The Guardian. ...

Watch Your Medical Records
Jan 14, 2015

Since Septemer 2014, every visit with every provider has gone like this. 1) The medical assistant types into my record. 2) The provider types into my record. At the end of my visit, they hand me the summary of my visit that day. It goes like this 1) The medications are mostly right although some are wrong and way wrong. 2) My age is off by 10 years at one facility and they 'cannot correct it.' 3) My height and weight are off a whole lot at another facility and they 'cannot c ...

Hospital Medical Records Department
Nov 14, 2009

With HIPAA regulations tightening on who can get a carbon copy of a patient's medical record, MTs should NOT have the responsibility of sending any carbon copies at all.  All carbon copy requests for a patient's records should go directly to the hospital's medical records dept for a signed release verification from the patient for that copy to be sent.  Reports being sent from any outside provider without the proper signed release from the patient should be consider ...

What Is The Status Of Electronic Medical Records
Dec 28, 2010

what is the status of EMR...is it going to impact MT industry ...

Question About HIPPA And Medical Records
Apr 15, 2011

My husband's father had a brain tumor many years ago (back when I first started dating him) and had surgery.  Unfortunately, the surgeon never stopped the bleeding completely before closing him up and waited too long to take him back to the OR, so he remained in a coma for numerous months until he passed away.  My husband's mother many years later also passed away.  My husband is starting to have periods of extreme forgetfullness and completely not remembering something ...

Electronic Medical Records Came In And We Were Immediately Out Of A Job
Jul 26, 2012

I don't see much talk about EMR taking over the MTs job.  This has happened to me with my last three companies (small transcription companies) that I have worked for.  With my last job we had an account with a large hospital that had a cardiology group we transcribed for.  EMR came in and we were immediately out of a job.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience...pretty much sucks  ...

Professional Medical Records? Any Info Please! Nm
Nov 26, 2012

nm ...

Medical Records Field Technician Ad
Apr 17, 2013

Did anyone else question that advertisement?  First, they say that you can work at their locations, then later on they say that the candidates need to have internt access, that does not make sense.  Also, the list of people they consider good candidates does not make sense.  Coders and RNs to scan records?  I'm not saying it's beneath them, but it's just seems a little strange that they would seek those type of people (as well as some others on the list) for an ...

I Was An Employee And Worked In Medical Records
May 02, 2013

Hi I am a bit worried.  I had to be put out of work, and probably for a while, because of hip and knee problems that are causing me so much pain that I can hardly walk and I cannot sit for long before my hip and back are killing me.  Thing is, I have "been with the company for only 9 months" so I do not qualify for family leave act. Does anyone know if they are quick to fire you if you file under the other:  ADA Qualifying Impairment.  I was a "bring over" from another company, but they a ...

Petition To BAN Outsourcing Medical Records
Aug 23, 2013

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/ban-the-outsourcing-of.fb29?source=s.fb&r_by=6200837  We have 779 signatures...new goal of 1000!  Please join us. ...

Has Anyone Heard Of Epic Medical Records? Saw Their Ad On CL.
Mar 06, 2014

Curious. Thanks! ...

Electronic Medical Records Become Very Hot Since They Will Become Mandatory By 2014
Dec 22, 2009

How many amongst you have used any of the popular EMRs like practice partner(http://www.practicepartner.com),infraware (www.infraware.com). EMRs have suddenly become very hot since they will become mandatory by 2014. I had read some where that there are some security issues with them.What do you think are pros and cons with EMRs?     ...

HIPAA Violation? I Requested My Medical Records
May 27, 2010

and paid to have them sent to me.  The last 20 pages were someone else's medical record.  I called the records dept and told the clerk, and she acted like it was no big deal and could I bring them back?  At first, I just wanted the extra 5 bux back that I paid for these (5 bux per 20 pages is what they charge).  Then I wondered if someone else got a part of MY medical record?  She assured me not.  This really sounds like a big fat HIPAA violation and I think th ...

Obama Is Really Pushing Electronic Medical Records
Jul 30, 2011

I have heard and read that Obama is really pushing the EMR, and by the year 2014, he wants all hospitals/clinics to implement this or else be taxed. He also is supposed to be offering grants and incentives if they do also. So any hospital or physician office that doesn't will be taxed more and will not get incentives, grants, etc. So I think most will try it cause they don't want more taxes and want the incentives, etc. So where does that leave us? If you work for a hospital, what ...

Transcribing Directly Into Electronic Medical Records
Oct 24, 2011

Anyone out there transcribing directly into EMR?  I'm wondering about using text expanders in EMR and, how are you counting lines in EMR?  Or do you know of anywhere that addresses these issues?  Thanks! ...

Electronic Medical Records And HIPAA Compliance
Nov 30, 2011

My sister has recently taken on the task of medical record compliance at her husband's dental office.  They are electronic (just going that way), and she is trying to be HIPAA compliant.  I know this doesn't concern transcription, but I though maybe someone has an MR person in their office who could direct her to a blog, or website where she could get information.  Thanks! ...

Cypress Medical Records Summarizer Testing
Jul 11, 2012

I'm wondering if anyone has actually done the testing for this company/job (for medical records summarizer).  I applied and they sent me a packet and a test.  They want me to review 45 pages of medical records and summarize it!  This is all sketchy to me.  They have an AOL email address, no company info, nothing.  Not sure if this is a scam or what. ...

Electronic Medical Records Will Be Forced Onto Doctors
Aug 03, 2012

The family practice I go to is using this. The doctor asks questions and constantly inputs into his PC tablet as we speak. Its not looking good for the MT field. Anyone else worried? I worked on a project transferring hospital charts from Legacy to Epic. Once they were done with using us for that project, we were let go with no notice. Just thinking my time is running out and I need to get to medical coding school fast! Then I am worried will medical coding too be forced onto the doctors ...

Dianne Sawyer's Story Regarding Medical Records
Sep 15, 2012

and at the bottom there is a section for comments, I then selected re: her news show.  I asked her to do a followup regarding the off-shoring situation.  Please, let's try to get this story out!  If she gets enough emails, maybe we can make this happen.  She's the person to do it, I think.  TYIA. ...

Copying Common In Electronic Medical Records Sm
Jan 05, 2013

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/copying-common-in-electronic-medical-records ...

Electronic Medical Records Same As Voice Reconigition?
Apr 16, 2013

Is EMR the same as voice reconigition? ...

Medical Records Info Sold On The Internet
Jun 19, 2013

On the Los Angeles news tonight. ...

Thousands Of Patient Medical Records Found
Jul 13, 2013

How they wound up there is anyone's guess. ...