A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I have learned. - Mel

Posted: Sep 30, 2010

Hello:

I have worked as an MT employed at the same hospital for 10 years. In the past 2 years, I have also started doing IC part-time.

Being an IC is taking a step down. Never in a million years did I know they have to work twice as hard as an employee. I just pray for the ICs.

As an employee, I make twice as much as an IC.

IC: Platforms are slow. More problems with sound quality and several ESL doctors. Supervisor sometimes does not supply sample dictations and not helpful when needed (my own personal experience).

Employee: I work offsite but can work onsite if I want. I call the supervisor and get quick responses. If the dictation is bad, supervisor will let physician know and he/or she will redo it. I have the opportunity to make an hourly wage plus incentive.  As an employee of the hospital, I make more money (twice than IC).

I will still hang onto my IC part-time job because you never know what the furture holds. Until then, I am learning.

Hi, Mel. Nice to get your experience. It's not surprising that - Pragmatist

[ In Reply To ..]
you're finding ICs work harder since they're paid only for the lines they produce. Employees get paid a fixed sum for showing up and doing at least the minimum required, plus those pleasant chats about dictators, where to have lunch, etc. I remember those fondly.

I am surprised you make more than twice as much as an employee as an IC even though you work much harder as an IC. It's traditionally been the opposite. That must be a very nice incentive scale you're paid as an employee. Or/and the type of low IC pay some people are being offered these tough days--? Another thing that occurs is that hospital wages might be significantly over current market rates--?? Hope not, because that would be a dangerous sign.

Less assistance from contractor? Yes, actually would expect that one. Independents are supposed to be...that. Problem-free. Right off the supervisor's to-do-today planning.

You sound as if you're as in charge of your future as one can be right now, with a safety net strung. Hopefully your hospital will continue to choose for the benefits of local production.

Similar Messages:

New MT Learned Old Trick
Aug 26, 2010

After searching for an MT job for 3 months, I was blessed to get a job as a newbie.  Unfortunately, I have been transcribing for hours and hours 5 days a week and most likely will not get paid.  Saw some posts too late about the company not paying ICs.  ...

This Is What I Have Learned From This Board
Feb 02, 2012

Hey, I have been off and on following this board for a while, and I have to say thanks to you, I am on my way to what will be a new career.  But after today, I felt I had to share what happened to me while studying for a test tomorrow:  The $$ in this career does not matter, actually I don't even know where it starts or ends!  Anyway, at this point, what matters to me is that I have found my "place", I am happy with the prospect of either working for a hospital, but ultimatel ...

Learned Something New Today
Oct 10, 2013

I was told today one of our accounts "went global."  Took a minute for it to sink in what this meant (went to India).  I have a feeling we'll be seeing more and more of this.  There's no future for me in MT anymore, not when I'm making barely above minimum and they can get the work done cheaper than that.  ...

Learned My Lesson
Mar 02, 2015

I will NO LONGER be working OT.  Got audited on 2 jobs that were less  than 1 minute in length on an unfamiliar account and scored 99.5%.  Do they look for short jobs?  It seems like it to me.  That way, they can fail you.  Hard to stay motivated and focused when you get dinged for such petty things.  In no way did my mistake cause the patient any harm.  Honest to pete.  Have heard rumors that the auditors are off shore.  Really?  After I lo ...

I Just Learned Something New About 365 Email (sm)
May 18, 2015

I was trying to send an email to someone who worked for the previous company,  and I found that if you put in  just the first few letters of the person's name, and then hit contacts underneath, you can find all names who work for the company whose names begin with those letters.  Quite surprising. ...

I Learned A New Word Today
Feb 20, 2012

Reiterized.  As in "reiterized to the patient that..." Gotta love it. ...

I Learned A Lesson Recently....
Aug 23, 2013

I'm one of the first people to tell someone else to be careful of the bridges you burn when leaving one company for another.  It's advice that I have tried hard to live by and was working out fairly well until just recently. I have another job with another company now and loving it.  Leaving Nuance and finding out that there still are companies out there that give a hoot has made me feel good. Anyway....I didn't actually burn any bridges with my past employers but I wa ...

If I Learned As Slowly As The Dolbey Fusion SR System (as In Not At All) Sm
Jun 12, 2014

the company would fire me. Instead, I can sit here and almost retype the whole report while seething and earning a whopping 4 cpl. But I feel oh so much better now that I read the "rah, rah, rah" note about Speech. ...