A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I have come to the conclusion that whenever - Many of these today

Posted: Sep 28, 2011

a dictator starts out a discharge summary with "Briefly," it is going to be a long, detailed, drawn out report, LOL.  Why do they bother to dictate "please see H and P for further details" when they are pretty much dictating it all over again anyway including the color, make, year, and model of cars involved in the accident and what intersection it happened at (for example)?

Sorry, just had to vent that.

And just to be SUPER thorough... - AnaPhylaxis

[ In Reply To ..]
They then dictate every single lab report done on the patient...during their 3-week admission...and going 90 miles an hour.

I hear ya...

Super thorough - slightly away from the subject, - cr

[ In Reply To ..]
but that reminds me of an old doctor who used to dictate from a small island off the coast of CA. He was about 87 and still had a handful of loyal patients, probably themselves up in years He would dictate pages and pages describing each patient's meals, bowel movements and urine output. He particularly focused on the frequency, color and consistency of bowel movements (I could picture the patients bringing their daily outputs in big Mason jars to his office, much to his delight), and we got to type it all, though in this case, instead of rapid 60-mile-an-hour dictation, it would be unbearably slow while the old timer collected his thoughts. I'm getting pretty old myself now, so I can better appreciate his dedictation, God bless him, but it would still be boring to me to transcribe today.

LOL, I had one old fart like that, only he was - Old fart now myself

[ In Reply To ..]
obsessed with where the patients spent their vacations or weekends, would go off subject and spend an entire paragraph on some weekend outing or trip the patients took and who they took with them. He also seemed to focus a lot on skin and hair.

I am also getting long in the tooth and can now appreciate some of it like you do.

Excessive dictation - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
With all the worries that these facilities have about saving money on medical transcription, it never ceases to amaze me that they never seem to consider asking the dictators to keep their dictations brief and to the point, and not repeat the same information over and over again!!

One of my "favorite" examples:

"The patient is discharged home in stable and improved condition." Then, another paragraph later, "Again, the patient is discharged home in improved and stable condition."

At my place of employment, we are instructed to transcribe verbatim, to not delete redundant statements.

On the bright side - more lines for you! - oaf

[ In Reply To ..]
At this point my line count sucks for this pay period and I could really use one or two of those jobs!!!

And every vital sign through entire admission! - No message

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Do you find it is more the PAs who do it - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
I have found that, at least in my recent experience, the docs tended run from detailed but not excessive to ridiculously brief and it was the nurse practitioners or the PAs dictating the discharges who went into the long winded detail that ended up 250+ lines or some such.
No, quite the opposite for me, it seems - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
it is more the regular docs and older ones except for ERs and OPs. The PAs usually are trying to read what the doc wrote and so usually not that detailed, just takes them longer to dictate because they cannot pronounce, much less spell, anything such as medications or procedures, not to mention trying to read what the doc wrote (cracks me up sometimes as it is obvious what they are doing). I do have some PAs who are long-winded, but mostly it is the docs themselves.

Similar Messages:

My Conclusion
May 18, 2010

I ran into a thread below a few days ago and decided to read some of it, even though I didn't know anything about the MTSO being discussed and had never even heard of them until now. At first I was leaning toward the opinion that they had some things they need to change, although that's the case with any company in any business, not just MT. There is no perfect company, and no perfect people, employers or employees. As the discussion continued on, it looked more like a vicious attack ...

I've Come To The Conclusion
Mar 04, 2013

that I currently hold my last job as an MT.  Part out of choice and part because of the changes in this carreer.  When this job ends for whatever reason I am getting out of the industry.  I have lost my enthusiasm for this dying profession.  I do need to earn a living and have plans for the next chapter of my life, but there is some settling of my mind with this decision, which was a long time coming.  Good luck to all that stay. ...

I Have Come To This Conclusion After Working At Nuance.
Feb 09, 2015

Since they constantly bounce us back and forth, forcing us to choose between production and quality, which have you chosen? Or aren't you there yet? I have chosen quality. At least for the moment. I think I'm getting just as whacko as they are. Signed, Present MUP Collector ...