A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I have come to this conclusion after working at Nuance. - Which are you?

Posted: Feb 09, 2015

Since they constantly bounce us back and forth, forcing us to choose between production and quality, which have you chosen? Or aren't you there yet? I have chosen quality. At least for the moment. I think I'm getting just as whacko as they are. Signed, Present MUP Collector

production - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Had to give up on quality and go for speed. No matter how much you try to be perfect, they will ALWAYS find something to fault you with. I don't have time for their stupid games. I have kids to feed.

Me, too. It's all about production. Has to be. - Will

[ In Reply To ..]
No matter who you are, you're going to make mistakes--which can be found if one looks hard enough. And, believe me, they're trying. For instance, When I checked Fiesa last recently, I found a place where the Indian editor made a mistake. I challenged it and got it reversed--only to have him/her (I couldn't tell by the name.) try to find another "mistake." I know this because he/she ended up auditing more than the normal number of reports. He/she did not find one but it was not for lack of trying. We will see what happens if and when the editors are able to go through even more reports.

So, yeah, this compensation program is comprised of a lot of game-playing. Why else would Nuance have ESL speakers criticizing native speakers? The fact that they do tells me that they are not serious about quality, patient safety or anything like that but, rather, saving money for Nuance.

Getting back to the issue of speed versus quality, what pays for me and everyone else at the end of the day is speed. All I can say is use your expanders to their fullest advantage. Once you get an abbreviation, phrase, etc., in there correctly, it will stay that way--in addition to saving tons of keystrokes.

I wonder if you're more likely to get fired for - quality-minded

[ In Reply To ..]
not meeting line counts as opposed to having lower quality?
That would depend on the type of errors found - Will
[ In Reply To ..]
x

But don't they knock down your cpl too far? - Just asking. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

No so far - Will

[ In Reply To ..]
No so far but I use my expander as much as I can. Once you get enough entries, you're pulling stuff in with the expander just as much if not more than actually typing letter by letter. I can't stress enough how much this helps. Also, be sure and back up your expander entries if your software allows for it. I have stupidly not done so in the past and really regretted it.

Somewhere in between.... - I find that I can go

[ In Reply To ..]
pretty fast and at least keep the errors to minor ones so that is what I'm doing. I do speed up in certain areas where a critical is not likely to happen, but then slow down a tad around meds/labs. The problem though is that even minor errors can add up and sink your quality, as far as THEY are concerned anyway, right off that stupid grid.

Quality transitioning to Production. - Not my choice. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I also am a present MUP collector. Have been warned that the next step is performance management. Okie dokie then, speed it is. So much for my >99.8% quality. On my way out of this heckhole anyway.

Kind of have become apathetic about both but lean mostly towards - production

[ In Reply To ..]
because it doesn't matter how slow I go, how much research I do, how much relistening I do, etc., etc., SOMETHING, no matter how trivial, is ALWAYS found to knock me down the pay grid.

What a lovely atmosphere you have created Nuance!

Also a MUP collector.

I keep a list of dictators and try to keep aware - some dictate very slow

[ In Reply To ..]
And so you can bump up the speed, others talk way fast, but slowing it down may not help. I keep notes on their little peculiarities and their specialties, like "peds mushmouth" or "lab numbers warp speed" or "dictates in car or underwater" - you can't change these things but at least you are ready for them. I also keep a file for each dictator to search through when stumped.

I don't think you can really choose, because I have tried both ways (quality vs quantity) and neither on their own really works as far as I experienced. I just now try to go as fast as I can and still maintain the quality.

I find lately I am having luck with making sure I follow the text with my eyes exactly as it is being dictated. That is the biggest trap in ISR, the added words or words that sound like what is dictated but don't make sense - so you need to keep your brain working too.

I recently had "peak troponin was 4.24." I was following along with the dictation and it sounded exactly like that, slightly fast, speed of say x1-1/2. It niggled in my brain because that is a high troponin so I thought - need to see if they are being looked at for cardiac. Well no, no heart attack or any mention, I listened again normal speed, sounded the same. I slowed it way down to 0.5 and what was actually said was "peak troponin thus far 0.24."

So sometimes you have to rely on something niggling in your brain, but with that one it only sounded different when I slowed it way down, so that is why this work is so difficult to get 100%.

On the whole, following the text as it is spoken (though that sounds facile) really helps to not miss these little things, but I still do leave the odd word out or miss one they stuck in, and I get caught every time it feels like.

Another thing is ALWAYS search "year" and make sure your -year-old is correct before you send. They love to get you on that. BTW my TSM informed me that if they have a birthday you are meant to go with the demographics in the database, so if they started their stay and they were 90, but turned 91 during it, you put 91.

I also check and double check visit, date correct, right before sending. Worth the slight delay as that is a big error.

If it is one where either the dictator or the ISR has mixed up the sexes, do a search of blank-he-blank, blank-him-blank (if demographics state female that is or vice versa) and that way there are not millions of words with "he" in it that come up on the search.

Anybody else have any strategies to beat the FIESA, please spill!

That's good advice. - Thanks

[ In Reply To ..]
Sometimes I have an off day, but I find, like you said, the best thing is to really follow along, I actually try to keep a little behind in my reading and let the dictator be a little ahead. That way, I have the idea in my head FIRST what it should say and then if it doesn't, it's easier for me to catch I think. Can't always do that though!

nuance has started a new hobby - MUP collecting!

[ In Reply To ..]
xxoo

Similar Messages:

My Conclusion
May 18, 2010

I ran into a thread below a few days ago and decided to read some of it, even though I didn't know anything about the MTSO being discussed and had never even heard of them until now. At first I was leaning toward the opinion that they had some things they need to change, although that's the case with any company in any business, not just MT. There is no perfect company, and no perfect people, employers or employees. As the discussion continued on, it looked more like a vicious attack ...

I Have Come To The Conclusion That Whenever
Sep 28, 2011

a dictator starts out a discharge summary with "Briefly," it is going to be a long, detailed, drawn out report, LOL.  Why do they bother to dictate "please see H and P for further details" when they are pretty much dictating it all over again anyway including the color, make, year, and model of cars involved in the accident and what intersection it happened at (for example)? Sorry, just had to vent that. ...

I've Come To The Conclusion
Mar 04, 2013

that I currently hold my last job as an MT.  Part out of choice and part because of the changes in this carreer.  When this job ends for whatever reason I am getting out of the industry.  I have lost my enthusiasm for this dying profession.  I do need to earn a living and have plans for the next chapter of my life, but there is some settling of my mind with this decision, which was a long time coming.  Good luck to all that stay. ...

Working For Nuance???
Jun 06, 2012

I have been out of transcription for roughly 2-1/2 years but need to get back to work.  I am going back to school to get some add'l training this fall but in the meantime need a job.   They are recruiting right now and wondered if someone could tell me something about being an at-home transcriptionist for them?? Any info would be greatly appreciated; thanks!!!!   ...

Anyone Working For Nuance And Liking It???
May 02, 2011

So I hear a lot about how there is no work at Nuance now because they are over hiring and that they are a "nightmare" to work for. Is there anyone working there now that likes it and isn't having any problems?  ...

Any Positives Working For Nuance?
Mar 29, 2013

Is there anything positive about working for Nuance?  What's it like working on the eScription and Dictaphone ExText platforms?  What are your average line counts on those platforms?  I can average 400+ lph working on a clinic account, but I get to use lots of word expanders and templates, it's all straight typing as well.  I read somewhere they just made cuts in pay, was that across the board and how much of a cut was it?  I read that they start out at 4 ...

Still Working For Nuance, Nobody Else Will Hire Me
Nov 07, 2013

and I don't know why.  I have always been able to see an ad, respond to it, and have the job and the schedule I wanted now I'm not even getting responses to resumes and I'm wondering if it's because I'm so close to retirement.  I haven't worked that many places that it looks like I'm job jumping so I can't think of anything else and I'm getting a little nervous.  I need a second job really bad! ...

Working For Nuance Transcription
Mar 25, 2015

Whoever is even thinking of trying to work for Nuance Transcription, should think again!  They are always running out of work and pay sucks big time! They have a new pay system where you are docked for almost everything! You have to meet 99% quality, which is no problem, as you should be meeting that anyway, but then they check your reports, always short ones and if they find an error, especially a major one, that docks your score way down, which in turn docks you pay, plus they then take y ...

Nuance - Working Weekends
Mar 27, 2015

Just wondering.  Nuance bought out my old company a while back, and I have always worked Monday through Friday.  Now all of a sudden they say we HAVE to work either Saturday or Sunday EVERY WEEK.  My question is, if I had said no to the weekend as I was hired Monday-Friday, could they have fired me? ...

Is Anyone Happy Working For Nuance? What About Mmodal? And Why?
Sep 21, 2013

i, too, like a couple others on here right now, am wondering what if any transcription companies still out there are good to work for. ...

I Love Working For Nuance And Have Been Around The Block
Sep 25, 2013

I Hate Working For Nuance So Badly.
Oct 16, 2013

I truly just hate ever day that I have to work for them. The days are sooooo long and seem never-ending.  Fifteen years of 99%+ accuracy and now I need a mentor?  Really?  WTH?  Switch me to a new, more difficult account and after 1 week tell me I suck so bad I have to be mentored?  Provide me with no list of physician names or local cities or names of local hospitals and expect my LPH to be up and running at full speed when I spend all my time Googling for info on an ar ...

Is There Anyone Here Working For Nuance Or MModal Who Is Happy With Their Job? Nm
Nov 06, 2013

, ...

Nuance - WorldClient/email Not Working??
Dec 17, 2013

Anyone else having trouble?  I wanted to email my tsm but i get: Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to mail.nuance-nts.com Did you mean: nuance-­nts.­com ...

Working For Nuance (minimum Wage)
Sep 27, 2014

25 years ago, I had an hourly wage of $11.50 (before I got into transcription), while the minimum wage was $3.35.  So I was making 3x minimum wage. Fast forward to Nuance today, my salary is $7.25, minimum wage.  (BTW, this is my very first minimum wage job of my entire lifetime, back to when I worked as a teenager in the 1970s).  Plus, the medical benefits are awful, and 25 years ago they were good, along with entirely paid by employer. And, Nuance feels the need to employ an a ...

Real Einsteins Working At Nuance!
Sep 30, 2014

What ever bird brain came up with the idea to work OT for PTO is a real gem. I have 6 accounts and have been OOW for going on 2 days now. Thanks, Nuisance, for the pleasure of working for you. ...

Nuance Losing Account? Maybe It's Working!
Dec 08, 2014

So you need help on this account so far out of TAT you're in danger of losing it. Sounds like people are deserting. Maybe if they lose a few accounts they'll get the message. One can only hope. I feel sorry for the managers. It must be pretty tough sitting between the leeches and those whom they suck the blood out of. How do they do it? ...

Working For Nuance: A Truly Kafkaesque Experience!
May 06, 2015

If you doubt me, see the "Urban Dictionary" definition.  It's about as good as any that I have seen:   http://tinyurl.com/28rqen4 After working for far too long for a smaller MTSO, which was aquired by Nuance and which also treated its workers like dirt, and coming to this company, I begin to wonder if this is just the state of affairs in Health Information Services or just employment in the United States generally.  Trying to get and keep a decently paying job just seems l ...

Anyone Else Working For Nuance Having Issues With Webclock Tonight?
Aug 08, 2011

Mine will work until I click on Webclock to punch in my hours and then it just sits there with a blank page and does nothing. Just wondering if it is just me or anyone else having this problem? ...

Thanks, Nuance For Taking All My Working And Giving It To Offshore
Sep 27, 2012

Thanks so much for taking all the work in my primary and giving it to offshore so that I had to go to my secondary We-Don't-Speak-No-Good-English account!  Thanks for helping me lower my line average with that awesome secondary and raising my QC average!  Thanks for making me sign in and out 10 times yesterday to see if there was work!  Thanks for taking the work (all out of TAT) and giving it back to onshore a half hour before my shift was over!  Thanks for making me lose sleep over ...

Are Nuance MLS Working On Transcend Accounts? My Workload Has
Oct 19, 2012

Just wondering if we're all sharing accounts now. ...

IMPOSSIBLE To Make A Living Working At Nuance.
Aug 11, 2014

This is beyond insane. Why hire all these new people and pay for training and benefits only to have EVERYONE run out of work? It makes no business sense whatsoever. The person making these decisions must have received their MBA from a Cracker Jack's box. It's bad enough that we're being paid peanuts (pun intended), but to run out of work, too? Come on, people. Develop some sense and sensitivity. Thank you. ...

When Does Working For 6.5 Cpl VBC Beat Not Working Because Of No Work?!!!!
Oct 09, 2014

d ...

Wmx/nuance Paycut Meeting,listen To Tape Shut Up Or QUIT, Nuance Attitude?
Dec 12, 2011

According to a poster below which has apparently already attended one of the payroll meetings (as the poster posted) for nuance they have decided to keep the incentive part of all of our pay going with an exception that now you have to have over the industry standard of 98% to get a production based incentive. In addition (if this poster is accurate) they have again cut the overall pay from 8 and 4 to 3 3/4 AND 7 1/2. This is nothing but a bunch of crapploa...an MT who is now getting ...

I Know The Nuance Questions Are Getting Old, But Just One More, Does Nuance Pay Shift Differential F
Mar 09, 2012

that fall during the shift.  For example, if half of your hours fall in 3rd shift and half fall in 1st shift, do the 3rd shift hours pay more cpl?  Or, do all hours have to fall within the shift to qualify?  Thanks, Yet another sad Transcend employee... ...

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

"Consider Returning To Nuance" - Just Received Email From Nuance
Jun 27, 2014

Wow. Posted this on company board but wanted to post here as well - some of you may feel vindicated. LPn ...

Working For The VA
Apr 24, 2010

Just wondering how the MT's that work for the VA like it. When you're directed to their web site, it really doesn't say too much.  Thanks ...

Working Either Way
May 10, 2010

I would like to work "outside" of home but it is quite a struggle getting the okay from my husband.  The transcription is pretty unbearable to me. Anyone else have that concern? ...

DQS Not Working?
Aug 06, 2010

DQS down for anyone else?  I try to log in and it says "failed to connect." ...