A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

HELP FOR BURNT OUT TRANSCRIPTIONIST - oaf

Posted: Apr 20, 2011

Any ideas?  I love the people I work with and the company - but somedays I have all I can do to drag myself in here and stay focused.  Been doing transcription for 35+ years and I know I'm burnt out.  Where do we old burnt out people go? 

Let me know when you figure that out! - CrankyOldBroadOnTheBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish I had some suggestions to offer... I've been at this (gasp) coming up on 39 years, and I too have days where I just can't focus.

The one thing that keeps me going the most is the paycheck, which while it isn't anything like it used to be, is (barely) enough to get by. When that's not enough, I remember some of the knock-down drag-outs I used to get into with co-workers when I worked in an office, and I am VERY thankful for the lack of office politics, as well as the 15-foot commute, and the pajama wardrobe....

And every day is a day closer to retirement... although at this rate, that might arrive at about age 93....

Anybody else? Thoughts? Suggestions? Encouraging words?

I take classes - 25 year MT

[ In Reply To ..]
either online or at the local community college and just keep telling myself that one day I'll escape the hellish boredom of MT. So far nothing has panned out, but I still keep trying.

Also the paycheck doesn't hurt, and I have never been totally without a job all these years, even though like everything else it ain't what it used to be!

Mind games - burned out too

[ In Reply To ..]
I do production games with myself. As I meet each goal, I allow myself internet time, or go for a quick walk. I find as I've gotten older, I need to get up more often.

Maintaining regular work hours has helped me too. Making sure I do something that allows me to expend a bunch of energy once I'm off helps.

Old and burned out - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
This is why I don't work at home any more, it was too difficult to keep my work life and play life separate. Getting out and taking a walk helps, take an exercise class or two if you can afford that. Some other suggestions would be to volunteer (libary, animal shelter, etc.) a few hours a month, become a literacy tutor, or take a fun class at the community college to give your brain a rest. I agree that keeping regular work hours helps, that was my downfall as my manager didn't make us keep a set schedule at home. Anything went as long as we got our hours in, and I had too many distractions. At the office, I stay there and work because I want to go home, lol!

Glad it isn't just me. - burned to ashes

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not lazy, but I drag around like dead lice is falling off me now. I can't get motivated. I used to be proud of my profession and enjoyed the work and always learning something new. Now it is all about the numbers, trying to understand ESL and unfamiliar accounts and the worst of the worst all the while keeping up the numbers for fear of termination. I only sleep good on nights when I don't work the next day. My morale has vanished. All the rah-rah get the ASR numbers up to 400 lph make me want to jump off a cliff (no matter what I do, not during any hour so far have I come close to 400 lph on ASR much less average it 8 hours a day). I even took an online quiz on "Are you burned out?" and, as I suspected, I scored 100%. I am depressed. I haven't had a raise in 7 years. ASR has taken away half of my salary. A few times I have had someone ask me if I thought they should go into the transcription industy, and I scare them I yell "NO" so fast.

Get a job outside the home, it helps - sm - IMMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a PT job now but it is an on-call thing, when others are sick or on vacation, that sort of thing, but in line for anything that opens up on a more permanent basis, still PT but regular. Recently applied to a local Dr. office, got called back yesterday, so next step is interview once I pass the psych test (Hospital owned local Dr. office), but will pass that (I hope, LOL). Just a patient rep, the person who greats you, checks you in, takes your money for your co-pay, PT a couple days a week, 5 hours or so a day. Good stepping stone for something better as they heavily promote from within and my goal is to go to school on them and some type of certification whether it a med. tech, or surgery tech, or phlebotomy. Even the PT jobs have benefits, get my life back and rid of the late nights and working 7 days a week. So really hoping I get it, keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

Thanks everyone! - oaf

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one who has to drag her butt across the hall each and everyday! All of your advice was great and I am going to take it to heart. May be get out and enjoy Spring! Counting the days to Social Security! Thanks again

I don't transcribe anymore but I am so burned out in my management job too - However I am also thankful for work food and shelt

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know why it's so easy to get burned out to the point where you would just rather not go to work. It happens no matter what you do for a living. I've even heard movie stars complain, LOL.

At the same time, I am so thankful that I have good shelter, food, nice clothes, books to read, and my wonderful pets. Work still is a 4-letter word though.

Similar Messages:

BURNT OUT-HELP!
Oct 01, 2010

Can't seem to stay focused, even when there is work.  I'm just exhausted - it's not physical, I've been checked out and I'm already on antidepressants (LOL).   Does anyone have any fresh and new ideas?  I try taking breaks, but then I truly have to drag myself back in here.......  I'm afraid to change companies as I really like it where I'm at and other than sometimes running out of work have no complaints there!  I've be ...

I Am So Burnt Out On This Job
Dec 31, 2010

I can't even make myself work. I just need a 2-week break, and then I think I'll be refreshed. ...

I'm So Burnt Out......
Jan 12, 2011

I can't even force myself to work now for two days. I'm so sick of this work but of course have bills so will have to work 14 hours the rest of the week.  How do you keep from getting to where you just can't force yourself to work? I've only been an MT for four years. ...

Ever Get Burnt Out?
Mar 08, 2012

And come back later? I hate having to punch out for break though because it makes my day longer. My CCM doesn't mind if we take an hour break, but thats just an hour longer that I have to work. My region has had tons of OT lately and mandatory one hour extra for each day your scheduled, for me thats 9hr shifts 5 days a week. Definitly could use the money and nice to know we got so much work. But I think I set myself up for failure when I sign up to do another 3hrs on my days off, m ...

How To Not Get Burnt Out
Aug 02, 2014

I've only been in the field for 5 years and have had my share of jobs.  The best was, of course, the in-house job which eventually got outsourced(as many often do).  I'm with a service I'm happy at albeit the pay is what it is (dreadfully low).  I'm only part-time, but I find that 4 hours a shift is just enough for me to handle mentally.  Maybe I bring it on myself, rationalizing what I paid for schooling versus what I actually get paid.  I just find ...

Flat Burnt Out On My Job.
Dec 09, 2011

New QA's and they are "redoing" everything, including report formats.  We've had to correct them on a few items and yet they storm ahead and are making work miserable.  Doctors I've typed for now over 10 years and the new QA person acts as though I'm new and never heard his dictation and "here's how it should be from now on."  WTH? Seriously?  She changes words and puts in the wrong words, not even what was ever said, and then my pay hurts because of ...

This Burnt My Biscuits. My ROM Sends Out Msg That She Can
Sep 11, 2012

in scathing email about working from home so no reason to call in sick.  She fails to mention though that she gets a paycheck whether she's sitting at her computer or not.  I wonder how she'd feel laying in bed with that foot pedal for 8 hours with 103 fever and typing one bad dictator after the other.   Funny how they make it sound so easy and WE help pay for their salary.  Thanx ROM, you're the very best there is!    ...

And To Think I'm Now A Transcriptionist
Oct 20, 2010

In posting a reply in a different thread, it brought back a memory I thought I'd share.  I had just turned 18 and my mom had just had surgery.  I went to the hospital to visit her but wasn't sure where she was.  The nurses asked me what surgery did my mom have.  I replied, "A vasectomy."  Oh my how the nurses laughed!  They replied, "Oh no honey, I think you mean a hysterectomy."  And look at me now, been an MT for nearly 20 years! ...

Ads For Transcriptionist's (sic)
Mar 28, 2011

When I see an ad saying that companies are looking for a few good "transcriptionist's" (sic), I always think that maybe they should be proofing their ads before submitting them.  ...

New Transcriptionist
May 03, 2011

Hello, Any and all comments to this question would be helpful. I am new in the medical transcription field. I have been having a hard time finding a job, and one day I get an email from this company. The email said they work for Affiliated Healthcare. I googled the company name and came up with a few hits as to what this Affiliated Healthcare company is. I transcribed a sample and sent back in. I received an email the next day stating they would like to hire me, to please reply to posting. I ...

TTS Transcriptionist
May 05, 2011

TTS is recruiting, that is ironic! - but so true to form in this business.  Every day I run out of work at some point during my shift and they say "We will let you know when it starts coming back in."  Meanwhile I am making no money.  I used to be a happy, loved my job, transcribing in the hospital - over 10 years ago.  Since my hospital farmed out to these companies that I have tried to work for - NOT happy, not even able to earn a decent living.   H ...

New Transcriptionist Need Help
May 31, 2011

I have just graduated and am looking for a job which is not easy.  Someone finally responded to my resume and they say that I need all these different books that are expensive and the Microsoft Professional instead of Home and Student which is more. I do not have any source of income so is there a place I can get used books and microsoft professional?? Im worried that I will spend all this money I dont have to get started and then not get the job.. Need advice please help.   ...

Editor Or Transcriptionist?
Oct 11, 2009

What do most people like, editing or transcribing? Just curious. ...

Newbie Transcriptionist
Feb 01, 2010

Do you always need a foot pedal regardless of what kind of program/setup employeers have? ...

Dinosaur Transcriptionist
Aug 01, 2010

I have been out of the workforce for 2 years. Is there anything to do to refresh my skills? Is there a program for retraining anywhere? ...

Transcriptionist Resume Help
May 28, 2011

I get a lot of MTs asking me for help with resumes so I thought I would put this out for anyone who is interested. This link downloads a sample one-page MT resume to use as a guide: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20134076/Sample%20One%20Page%20MT%20Resume.docx This link shows this same resume with some tips added. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20134076/One%20Page%20MT%20Resume%20Tips.jpg Hope this helps someone.   ...

Transcriptionist To Coder
Nov 14, 2011

Hello everyone.  I have posted here before about this topic. I am thinking about taking a coding course, probably through Andrews, and was wondering which credential to get first...the CPC or CCS?  Which one is more desirable for employers?  If there are any other credentials I would need, please let me know because I have just started researching this.  Thank you. ...

Frustrated ED Transcriptionist
Jan 21, 2012

Frustrated that even though I have stressed my proficiency in ED work, I am still forced to do other work types first, while yet others are getting ED work types in their "pools"... I would think you would want someone who types fast in a certain area be allowed to crank that work out first and then when it runs out, let the other work types they are not so good at roll into their pool....  Frustrated ...

Veterinary Transcriptionist?
Sep 13, 2012

Hello all-   I am a licensed veterinary technician that also got a certification as a medical transcriptionist after I had my 2nd child. I am looking to work from home part time and having no luck at the moment finding a job. But as I sit here and read and ponder.... do any of you know of any veterinarians that send out transcriptioning? I don't know if it is even anything a vet office could afford, but I would be interested in it if anyone knows of anything.   OR if anyone ...

New Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 16, 2013

I am trying to find a good training program.  I have looked into career step and then a local training program at a technical program here in Denver.  The Denver program has an internship as part of the course but is not ahdi approved.  It is a 17 month program and looks thorough but I don't know how big the ahdi approval is.  I've heard that career step helps graduates get a job.  Any advice for me on this?  Thanks. ...

Been A Transcriptionist For Over 10 Years
Nov 13, 2013

I have been a transcriptionist for over 10 years and I recently started a job for a small transcription company that requires 100% accuracy for all reports.  I continually get flagged with emails saying, "Please find the punctuation mistake and apply back with why" These are most always just one or two comma mistakes in the whole report.  Do all of you turn in reports with absolutely no comma or semicolon mistakes at all or am I just an inadequate transcriptionist?  Frustrated. ...

Former Big Shot Now A Transcriptionist?
Nov 21, 2013

Does anyone know anything about this?  I see a very familiar name listed among the transcriptionists on a certain account that now belongs to Nuance through the acquisition a couple of years ago. ...

Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 11, 2015

I researched on Indeed Jobs. At Parkland Hospital the requirement to work as a Medical Transcriptionist is to have a certificate in medical transcription or at least one year of medical typing experience. You must be able to type at least 40-59 words per minute with a minimum of three errors. You must be able to operate a dictaphone. You must have medical terminology knowledge and be able to pass a spelling test with a score of 80%. I would prefer to start my career in a hospital setting so that ...

How To Be A Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 27, 2015

I am currently studying to be a medical coder / biller. It is a long study time and tough too, but I love it. But just curious, how do we become a Medical Transcriptionist? Now that I know some medical terms and good at the computer. Maybe I can do this job as well. I have a friend who is medical transcriptionist but seem to be secretive about this career. How do we become one? I hope it does not need a long degree or diploma, or something like that. I appreicate any information. Thanks ...

Advanced Transcriptionist Service, LLC
Mar 08, 2010

I saw their ad for radiology and acute care, is this place legitimate? ...

Canadian Medical Transcriptionist
Mar 14, 2010

Can someone please explain to me why Canada is considered OFFSHORE?  We have the same extremely strict confidentiality and medical data security laws and, in fact, tougher standards in the definitions with Independent Contractor versus employee status.  Why is Canada considered offshore?  It's not nearly like sending something to India or Pakistan where you don't know who is working on the dictation or what the ulterior purpose is.  Why can't the two countries just get along? ...

Medical Transcriptionist Resume Help
Aug 30, 2010

I would really appreciate any help you are willing to give me.   I have not been having much luck finding a job and am getting desperate.  I am wondering if my Resume may be putting me at the bottom instead of at the top of the contact list.   I have over 30 years of experience and my resume contains the names of 15 companies that I have worked for (I sometimes had 2 or 3 jobs at one time, but I include everyone because some were Acute Care and others were Clinic Specialties).  I am ...

How Does VR Make Sense For The Transcriptionist?
Sep 10, 2010

Company A pays an experienced transcriptionist/MLS 3 or 4 cpl to edit VR.  Company A boasts about how this makes for a faster turnaround time on everything.  Company A tries to tell seasoned MTs with years of experience that their productivity will actually go UP if they learn to be good little VR editors. Company A apparently fails to realize that some transcriptionists can also do basic math pretty well, and can see that they are actually getting paid less to d ...

2008 Medical Transcriptionist
Nov 09, 2010

I am a 2008 graduate in medical transcriptionist. I have not been able to get a job. I would like to work from home. I am considering taking an exam to become a CMT or RMT. Can anyone direct me to where I can find my first job. I am really getting aggravated. ...

MAKES ME A FASTER TRANSCRIPTIONIST/NOT!
Mar 09, 2011

Here's how easy my job is with ASR.  "Fifth once assistance of 99 ounces peritoneum 29-774 mg of 1-1/2 ml."  It's gonna be a great day.     ...