A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

For employees, how do you handle "bad" days? - Need to know

Posted: Feb 24, 2012

I'm just curious.  I'm currently an IC, but I'm finding it very difficult to move the required amount of money out of each paycheck to set aside for estimated taxes.  If it's there, I'm usually using it to pay bills and not moving it into the separate account I set up for that specific purpose.  Sigh.

I was thinking I should get an employee position so the taxes are already taken out, and the responsibility is taken out of my hands because I obviously cannot seem to handle it (which makes me mad at myself).  My concern is that I have good days and I have bad days.  Good days, I can sit there for my 8 or whatever hours and get a good amount of lines.  On my bad days (whether it's because I'm tired and my eyes are drooping, I have a headache, or I just have no focus), I have to work longer to get my lines in (if my account has the extra work), but I can do it when I have the focus to do so.

I'm concerned about an employee position.  If I'm having one of my bad days, I'm afraid I would not get my required lines in during my shift or if I try to force myself, I'll end up making mistakes because I'm not concentrating enough.  That's the only thing stopping me from trying for an employee position.  The longer I do this work (and the older I get), the more bad days I seem to have.  I'm sure some of it has to do with boredom also. The only good thing now with my current job, although I have a set schedule as an IC, is that I can work over 8 hours and outside of my "shift" to get the rest of my lines as long as there is work.  

I guess my question is, do you all (specifically employees who have to have certain lines/hour or lines in 8 hours) experience those "bad" days and if so, what do you do?

I think it depends on the company you work for. - -(sm) - Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]
I have good & bad days, too. I think everybody does! Where I work, we have more of a flex-time setup. Although we have assigned "shifts", where we should be working the majority of those hours, sometimes it's just not possible to do that if the work isn't there.

So we're allowed what amounts to more of a 12-hour window in which we should be able to get in our 8 hours' worth. I say "should", because, depending on multiple different factors, sometimes it's still not possible to do the prescribed lines in even a 14+ hour block of time.

I have to be as flexible and opportunistic as possible in order to get those lines, sometimes. If the work is slow, I can usually get more work to come in if I work either on the weekends, or late into the night on weekdays. Or very, very early, before most MTs have gotten up.

The other thing I think most companies do is average out your lines per hour. We're paid every 2 weeks, so they take the total of what we've done during that pay period, and average it out per hour worked. That's a lifesaver for me, because like you, some days I'm hyperactive, and can go all day. Or else if I've gotten lucky, and a string of good work is flowing in, I try to stay with it, because there's no way of knowing - the following day the work may all dry up. Or else you'll get bogged down with terrible dictators.

All you can do is your best, and hopefully your company's managers are realistic enough, and flexible enough, to realize that MTs aren't machines, and are going to have some high-production days, some low-production days, and mostly middle-of-the-road days.

Good luck!
=^..^=

well, I'm getting older too - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and can no longer just work a huge amount of hours. Transcend has given me a flexible window of time to work; I try to keep it framed in as 12-hr window but sometimes it works out to a 15-hr window (no one complains). We specify ahead of time what production we intend to do and keep that number at my lowest in case its a bad day. On good days, I go beyond that. FT is 35 hr a week minimum. Sometimes they request overtime. If you can do more lines than your committment in 8 hr or less, that works too. I think these times are less forgiving for an IC; and as a FT employee, you also get your disablity partly paid for etc. It sounds like the emp status would be a good option for you.

bad days - pookbina

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for years as an IC then was let go from my job. Worked for Nuance and SoftScript as an employee trying to keep up with the required lines per hour, and yes it was a problem for me on bad days definitely and plus I don't like being tied to the desk. I want to be able to leave for a few hours etc. So PMS days, headache days, etc. were days I definitely could not "produce" what was required. I'm totally against MT jobs being like a darn factory job anyway. I didn't start this profession to work like I was in a factory, worrying about meeting lines per hour, etc. These are medical documents. They should not be rushed. True, you need to do things in reasonable time but it just should not be run that fast. Quality always suffers. But that's the way it's going today. Foolish, but that's the way it is. I doubt I will be able to stay in the profession honestly with the voice recogn continuing to grow.

bad days- pookbina - M

[ In Reply To ..]
Pookbina, I agree. I'm 58 and started out as a medical secretary for one doc at NCBH back in the 90s, worked there for 10 yrs and then decided I wanted to do transcription at home. My body simply won't let me sit here and type for hours on end, plus some days I'm bored to death, and that's when my mind starts wandering, and that means a "bad day" for me. I just send a note to my supervisor telling her I'll need to step away a few times that day. Then I'll go outside for a bit, play with the kitties for a few mins, do some stretching, etc. As far as required lines, I get them somehow. I seem to go on auto-pilot and do some self-motivation by talking to God and thanking him for my many blessings. It does help. :)

my experience - carmen

[ In Reply To ..]
I briefly did IC work part time for about 2 months along with my full time job. I only had to make 600 lines per day and could choose my own schedule and was also able to do more if I wanted.

*HOWEVER, it seemingly took forever to get those lines in and I am a fast typer.

Other than that, I have always been an employee. I think everyone has their bad days, but when you average your lines out over the course of the pay period, you always seem to make up for it.

I think the place I worked part time as an IC was doing something weird with their line counts, because there is no way it should have taken me nearly 8 hours to do 600 lines, when at my full time job I could get that done in 3hrs sometimes less.

My suggestion is do what works best for you, but I certainly could not see myself full time at the place I worked as an IC because the time it took to get the lines in was unreasonable; and having to set aside money for taxes and social security, I probably would have been typing like 16hrs a day just to maintain.

Good luck!

Suggestion for tax money - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
I know this is not what you asked, but I thought I'd toss this out anyway. When I was an IC, I paid the taxes every time I got paid. I learned my lesson the hard way when I was a brand new MT/IC and not making much. I had to pay the mortgage, so the IRS didn't get paid.

I started then paying the taxes every time I got paid and it made a huge difference for me.

As to your actual question, every company is a little bit different, but most of them have allowances for bad days and good days. If you're consistently below their target marks, then they would probably say something, but if it's just here and there, doubt anything would be said. Everyone has an off day every once in a while.

I seem to focus better (sm) - AuntieAnxiety

[ In Reply To ..]
I seem to focus better as the day wears on, so I've begun to work the p.m. shift, starting at 3 p.m. and ending at 11 p.m. (I normally don't take a meal break so I just do 8 straight hours).

I find there are a lot less distractions (not so many telemarketer calls, not so many door-knockers, etc.) and I pretty much have all morning and part of the early afternoon to take care of errands and other things that I know will drive me crazy while I'm trying to work if I don't get them out of the way.

I DVR any shows I want to watch and my husband and I eat dinner when I get off shift while watching something that was on earlier. I'm usually asleep by 2:00 a.m. (the same time I'd usually be up to anyway), and then sleep comfortably until about 7 a.m. to 8 a.m., when I wake up out of habit. The 5 or 6 hours is enough for me but I know some people require more.

Good luck to you. I know I have some days where there is something going on with my family that really preoccupies me to a great degree. I've found working a later shift helps me get the "small stuff" out of the way early in the day so I can totally focus on my work in the evenings.

Thank you everyone - Need to know

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for all of your replies. There are some great suggestions in here.

I really like the idea of sending in the payments immediately. I didn't know that was an option. Granted, I suppose they wouldn't complain about getting our money early, but I always thought you had to pay them in quarterly installments. I get paid weekly, though, so that might be a bit too much for the IRS to handle if I sent payments in weekly. Hmmm. I'm going to definitely look into that. I might call them to see if that would be okay.

Again, thank you to everyone. For those who struggle with the same issue(s), I feel for you and hope you can find a balance also.

Similar Messages:

How Many Nuance Employees Have Quit In The Past 30 Days?
Aug 04, 2013

I'm just curious because I'm actively looking for anything other than this MT crap. On my main account, most of this a.m. no work. Now all of a sudden there's work plus they want me to move to another count to help out. Why didn't you need my help this morning? Sorry, but my shift ends now and I'm outta here. It seems every day there are people quitting - I can't wait to jump on that band wagon. :) ...

New MT Who Can't Handle This
Mar 04, 2010

I've been working 2 months. One doctor on my account makes mistakes constantly, says the wrong dates, sends in partial audio files, once sent in a file that was nothing but his side of a cell phone conversation.  He complains constantly because he says these are my mistakes.  Now, for some reason, my QA person has told him she 100% agrees with him.  Also, he thinks I'm the only one working this account, so if someone else makes a mistake I still get yelled at. This is a ...

How Would ASR Handle A Sentence Like This?
Dec 07, 2009

I am just wondering how would ASR interpret this sentence... "The patient was able to cite the exact site and moment when he lost his sight." ...

Question -- Not Sure How To Handle This
Dec 11, 2013

I have been informed by my employer that our company will be losing 70% of its accounts and thus many transcriptionists and employees will be let go.  There is an extremely good chance that I will be among those leaving, as 90% of my accounts are going to be gone.  So, I already have a job interview set up with a local physician in a private office, but since my employer has not let me know whether or not I will be laid off, should I tell my employer that I'm looking for another j ...

How Do I Get Set Up As An IC? Do I Need An Accountant To Handle Taxes?
Jan 12, 2010

nm ...

Profanity In A Report... How Do You Handle It?
May 12, 2010

I have a dictator who says:  The patient says "I look and feel like sh--." I'm not sure how to handle it. ...

How To Handle A Problem Client...
Jan 23, 2013

Okay, so I have a client who is driving me nuts.  I wonder what the general consensus is about how to handle a really pesky issue I'm having with him.  This particular doctor is an older gentleman who wants to do things to look like he's keeping up with the times but doesn't want to change how he does things.  He's also cheap as sin and thinks that because he's a doctor and I'm an MT he's above me in life.  Not kidding. Anyway, the issue I& ...

Wondering How You All Handle A Situation.
Aug 30, 2014

I sent my resume cold to this place and got quite a rude response.  How do you all handle when you get a rude response?  I was courteous in my reply, but it just kinda went all through me that she was so rude. ...

Anybody Handle Phones In A Doctor's Office?
Jul 29, 2012

So I just got a temp job in a fancy upscale surgical hospital. First in-house job in 8 years, and I really need to convert this job into a permanent deal, but my first attempts on the phone last week I sort of bombed. Is anybody able to offer some pointers on phone tact? I know I will make mistakes, it would be great if I could recover from them gracefully. >_<*  If someone was willing to mentor me and get me through this next week I would send you a box of cookies or brownies or wha ...

Wondering How You Handle On Pediatric Reports When Sm
Nov 27, 2012

doc refers to mom or mother/dad/grandma, etc.  I was taught that if it is "the mom" you would not capitalize but if you can substitute a name, then it would be capitalized.  The mom denies vomiting, but Mom states the baby..... (would that be correct as far as capitalization goes?)    ...

How Do Handle When A Doctor Makes Up A Word?
Sep 16, 2014

I have a psych doc who always says "the patient was less complaintive today."  I've changed it o "the patient complained less today."  But the doc sends the report back for correction and wants the word "complaintive" which is NOT a word!  I've been giving it to him, but man it drives me crazy. I have an ortho doc who ALWAYS says "all were in agreeance" and I change it to agreement and so far so good, but he is still dictating agreeance.  ...

Then A S/l Luggage Handle Was Placed In The Femoral Canal.
Jun 05, 2015

Orthopedic surgery note.   "Then a s/l luggage handle was placed in the femoral canal." I have been searching, but it is difficulty to find anything, as every search just brings up tonz of stuff about luggage handles.  Anyone every heard of this????  ...

OMG How Funny - Read Glassdoor Opinion Of Employees, US Versus Indian Employees!
Aug 05, 2013

I was just curious about what employees thought of Nuance on Glassdoor.  You read several US employee opinions and they reflect the morale listed on MTStars.  Scroll further down and read the opinions of the transcriptionists from India.  What a difference.  They are highly satisfied with their jobs and most have been working with Nuance for 6 to 7 years.  The US transcriptionists are very sad!!  What a difference..... ...

Bucket Handle Tear:"The Case Was Extremely Difficult Because Of Extreme S/l Laxi To This Joint
Jul 18, 2010

n/m ...

PAY DAYS
Feb 08, 2010

Forget how to look up pay dates - is it on MQ Central?  Thanks in advance. ...

NJA - 2 Days In A Row!
Mar 30, 2010

I'm on a roll!!  Almost out of PTO.  No vacation or anything for me this year.   BULLCRAP! ...

NJA How Many Days In A Row Now?.............
Jul 15, 2010

i'm devastated. forget bills, they don't need to be paid, right?  much less food that doesn't need to be bought.   ...

Ever Have One Of Those Days When
Nov 12, 2010

every other report is tragic? Tonight I just want to quit, so depressing. I hate doing child death reports, alcohol-involved MVAs where someone dies, drug overdoses where the person dies, attempted suicide, severe brain damage/paralysis from fall, all in one shift, all young people!! Giving extra hugs to my children and hubby tonight.  Sometimes I want to go back to doing just clinic work. Thanx for the vent and someplace to take a break. ...

Ever Have One Of Those Days, Where It Seems All The
Feb 15, 2011

It seems that every dictator tonight has made some sort of mistake or said something that doesn't seem right (mg/mcg, right/left, dates, names, age, etc.) that required extra research through past reports (if your lucky they have some) to get correct information?  Or where the residents make you want to beat your head against the wall because they cannot pronounce half the stuff their field exposes them to?  Sure, a handful a day is expected, but there are some days where it' ...

One Of Those Days-
Feb 18, 2011

This is on the tip of my tongue and driving me crazy!  Any help appreciated! "care ax" cream........wart treatment. ...

One Of Those Days
Mar 11, 2011

I'm having one of those days - can't understand a blessed thing anyone's saying!  I'll have days in a row without a single blank, and today - barely a report without at least one!  I think my so-called "listening ear" has taken a vacation! Think I'll sign off and settle down with a martini to toast the week-end, and hopefully all will be back to normal tomorrow!     ...

Low Pay For MTs These Days
Apr 21, 2011

I am in quite a quandy right now.  I have been out of work as an MT now for 3 months due to a layoff.  I started off in this field 15 years ago earning 11 cents a line for a transcription company.  My last job paid me 9 cents a line.  Now I am looking to find a part-time job and I can't find anything over 8 cents a line.  Doesn't experience matter anymore or is the transcription field pay rate getting lower and lower all the time?  I am shocked, because fo ...

One Of Those Days.
May 04, 2011

Today I had a 35 minute report by one of the worst dictators. On top of that her phone line is really bad. I did the best I could and ended up sending the report to QA. QA was able to fill in about half of the blanks that I had. I ended up sending an e-mail to my supe to see if anything could be done about her phone line, and if she could please listen to the report. Less than a minute later she e-mailed my back stating that she could hear the report just fine. My question is, how can it take le ...

NJA For 3 Days!
Jun 02, 2011

I am in the South region and have had NJA for 3 days! I have e-mailed my CCM who said work is slow, the first day.  Now I cannot get in touch with her and no explanation for no work.  I have used PTO and even taken a day off without pay.  This has never happened before.  Anyone know what is going on? Any answer or help would be greatly appreciated!   Anon   ...

So Far, This Has Been One Of Those Days Where
Jun 06, 2011

just above any profession but this one looks good.  Back-to-back ESL who gets on late at night, dictates report after report after report, marks them all priority even though they may be for admissions/discharges from 2-3 months ago.  He's horrible to listen.  Talks so softly sometimes he can barely be heard.  Flies through lab results, etc.  And, I think I'm the primary transcriptionist on this account.  I have literally begged to have this account t ...

Anyone Else Always Have Days Like This?
Aug 02, 2011

For some unknown reason my footpedal just decides to stop working this morning and I spend hours to get it going again. I finally get back into my groove, only to get a dictation that is 29 minutes long with only 4 minutes of actual dictating! I can never get ahead and get a decent line count anymore. There is always something that comes up to keep my production down and shrink my paycheck. I wish we were compensated fairly for times when a dictator keeps the phone on for 28 minutes without ...

Having One Of Those Days.
Jan 19, 2012

I feel like pulling my hair out. My supe said she was going to write me up because of 2 weeks of low line count. I guess she forgot that I used PTO because of NO WORK and on top of that I have been sick the last 2 weeks and I have had to use a couple days sick leave. Stupid me I thought I could use PTO for being SICK. Well enough venting. ...

TTD Pay Days
May 19, 2012

Can someone tell me how often they pay?  Is it monthly? Every 2 weeks? When is their next payday?  TIA ...

16 Days.
May 31, 2012

We are always being told we have 24 hours to respond to emails from our leads and managers, just wish they had to show us the same respect.  I asked 1 simple question about an error.  I didn't even bother to refute it, just wanted an answer and it took 16 days after 2 reminders.  Thank you Debra.  I appreciate your promptness.  I will show you the same respect when you want something from me.  ...

OOW Two Days In A Row!!!
Jun 06, 2014

OOW again at the start of my shift!! What the h@##@!   Does anyone know if you can collect partial unemployment without taking PTO?  I have never collected but seriously thinking about it. ...