A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

So ready to quit. - Discouraged

Posted: May 24, 2012

At this point I'd make more money waiting tables even though I'm older.  It's crazy.  With the VR I'm working double the hours for half the pay.  Not to mention there are 3 new QA's on my accounts and each want things done differently. I'm so fed up.  This is all I know but figure if an old dog can learn new tricks...........

ready to quit - Jean9

[ In Reply To ..]
OH, I hear you! I near the quit line at least once a week, and definitely on pay day. I don't know what has changed, but I just can't seem to get anywhere! Please share if you figure out a solution!!

Changes - Discouraged

[ In Reply To ..]
From what I am dealing with it's the VR that has cut our pay. Where we went from hardly using a mouse due to auto-text we'd saved for years, we're not with our hand on the mouse which adds time, not to mention half the pay for VR. So we're working twice as much and still making half of what we did. I can't see how they expect to keep MT's when they're making it harder and harder for us to live on this line of work.

If all MTs refused to edit VR anymore, I think we - could force them to dump it. (JMO)

[ In Reply To ..]
doubt it... they want the money! They MTSOs are - getting all the profit
[ In Reply To ..]
They still charge the client the same, yet pay us less. Why would they change anything?
If nobody edited VR, it wouldn't be fit to send to client. - We already know the Indians cant do it. n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
I would refuse to do VR in a heartbeat but ..... - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
I need my crappy job right now. Too bad we don't work together and flat out refuse to do it. And yes, the Indians and other foreigners do NOT do VR. It's too confusing to them.
How dumb are we? VR has happened!! They can't not - use it. The problem is THE PAY. If
[ In Reply To ..]
you can't hack VR itself, get another job. VR does require different skills, and some people just don't have them.

All these continued complaints are like someone screaming and kicking a racquet around the court because she keeps missing the ball. If that's you, stop blaming everyone and everything else and go fix your problem.

BTW, the rest of us who are good at VR, and there are a lot of us, would also greatly appreciate it. The problem is the PAY.
Agreed it requires some different skills, but also all - of the same skills, and more. -s/m
[ In Reply To ..]
But do you really think VR is so great, so "productive", that it warrants paying us only 3-4 cpl to edit it?

What I meant above was that, although yes, you're right, they won't dump VR altogether, who exactly would they get to edit it if American MTs refused to do it for such low pay? If we were paid what it's really worth, rather than what they've (so far) been able to get away with paying us, it might very likely be more cost-effective for them to revert to straight typing, if they had to pay us our original pay to edit it.

Don't forget, it does NOT save time! It does NOT make us more productive! And because of certain problems with staring at a screen and a moving cursor all day, not to mention cleaning up the mess VR makes of doctor dictations, in many ways it's actually harder.

The problem is NOT with MTs. We've all been doing our best, and then some, to make this mess work for us. But, the bottom line is, it does NOT work for us. Not at 3-4 cpl. Not when there is no improvement to our production while using it. Not when so many peripheral aspects of transcription and/or editing now go unpaid.

The ball is back in their court. Either the pay has to improve, or skilled editors are going to become harder and harder to find. This will likely be especially true once the economy picks up again, and jobs in other fields start to open up more. When that happens, however, the cost of living for us all will start to climb at a faster rate than it is currently, and that fact alone will cause even more US editors to abandon a ship that is sinking, pay-scale-wise.

Someone in the MT industry needs to muster up some backbone, and start fixing their employee payscale problem, or the day will come when they'll just end up shooting themselves in the foot, businesswise, which they're already doing.
I agree the problem is the pay and I agree - it takes a different SM
[ In Reply To ..]
skill set to edit. However, I don't agree with insulting other MTs who are now making 1/2 the pay they did. Unless you are lucky enough to have all the variables in place that makes VR editing profitable, you will never make what you made straight typing. Those who post on this forum that they make double or do very well with VR, they should be required to list the variables they are dealing with in order for that to happen. I really do not like putting other people down to make yourself feel better than others. That is not cool at all.
Younger people are going to school and - Discouraged
[ In Reply To ..]
are willing to work for less than we do. There will always be someone to do the work that we don't want to. We'd just be out of a job.
Not necessarily. Just being young doesn't mean they - dont need to earn a living.
[ In Reply To ..]
The time is approaching when the ethics of these schools is going to be called into question, when it comes to promising $40-60K a year in the MT field. It's very misleading. As more and more of these newbies graduate, and find themselves unable to land a job at all, let alone one that pays anything, it just might get these schools investigated for fraud.

And for the kind of pay they're offering, these companies are going to have to lower the bar when it comes to required experience. Already, MT pay is less than it should be, even if this were a learn-on-the-job type profession, geared at new grads. When that happens, quality is going to suffer.

And QAs and editors (also under-paid), will be needed as much as ever.

Not in YEARS have MT/editors had an opportunity to leverage their pay as they do right now. I think it would be wise for MT/editors everywhere to think a little bit beyond just next month's measly paycheck, and look at the big picture down the road. I think it can be changed for the better, but only if MTs make it happen.
They won't dump VR but they would have to - compensate properly for editing.
[ In Reply To ..]
They might also be more careful about who they allow to dictate to VR. As it stands now, they have every reason to put the WORST dictators on VR while we get paid crap wages for fixing every single line in the report!!

Ready to quit - beachbum

[ In Reply To ..]
I hear you! I have been laid off for a year and a half, and on my last job I did speech recognition editing. At 3 cents a line, I could not make much money at all. When I figured it out, it equalled about minimum wage. I am now ready to go back to work, and I am only looking for straight typing jobs and no editing. Even being paid 7-1/2 cents a line is better than editing. I noticed that the straight typing jobs are not very common anymore.

Straight typing, thing of the past. - Discouraged

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish there were some straight typing MT jobs out there now. They're all going to VR unless you can find a job with a small doctors office, and even my doctor has a small office and is doing VR. If I weren't so old I'd go back to school, but when you're in your 50's it's just hard to find anything.

Similar Messages:

Ready To QUIT!
Sep 22, 2014

I've been an MT for a little over 6 years now, and I loved it up until a few months ago. I was making good money and enjoyed the account I was on. In June, the company I work for switched my accounts (after being on the one for 4-1/2 years). Now I'm making signifcantly less money and having to put in double the work. I can't even pay the bills anymore. I have decided to go back to college and get my health information technician degree, because it seems like transcription just isn ...

Ready To Quit Softscript
Apr 29, 2013

They put more emphasis on account specs than on patient care ...

Ready To Quit, But Need Some Opinions
Sep 22, 2014

I'm seriously ready to quit and get out of the MT business altogether and about 95% sure I have a new job lined up, but will not give notice until I'm 100% sure, BUT....as you all know, our cpl have gone down drastically since VR and most of us have had less and less work coming to us lately, so my question is would you still give a full 2 weeks notice? I always have in previous jobs, but my last paycheck was sooo small, I honestly don't feel I can afford to give 2 weeks and still ...

Just Started With Futurenet And Ready To Quit Already!
Apr 29, 2014

I'm just really frustrated trying to learn this MModal crapola...Does it get any better?  I've never been tortured like this before!  I think I'm averaging about $2.50 an hour right now...OMG!  Is this platform working for anyone else?  I'm too frustrated, I may just give up and go elsewhere if it doesn't get better really quickly here!  ...

READY TO GO!!
Apr 13, 2010

Has anyone quit and been able to collect unemployment?  I am just about ready to call it a day, good-by, farewell.   ...

Ready, Set....
Oct 03, 2010

Getting ready to begin testing for a part-time position I REALLY need...Wish me luck! Ready, set....GO!!! ...

Ready To Cry!
Dec 23, 2010

My clinic that I type for just started MTs on editing. I have lost almost $200 in pay on just 1 check until I can somehow double my over 1200 lines I already type a day! Sorry, I just needed to vent before I just bust out crying. ...

Ready To Run 2
Jul 08, 2011

I'm just scared to death of jumping from the frying pain into the fire.  I know there have to be better companies out there.  I work on 15+ accounts, make no money to speak of, my boss makes me feel guilty if I want 2 hours off, forgets to send me e-mails that she sends everyone else, changed my PTO after it was already approved, and I could go on.  Today may be notice day after 12 years with this company. ...

RE: I Have Already Been Getting Ready And Will
Apr 27, 2012

http://the99spring.com/ How exactly will you differentiate between staff who are legitimately sick and those who are not?  I can't wait for all the EEOC, wage, unemployment, etc., claims to start as well as the legal jeopardy that your company can and will face in the event of unlawful termination.  The legal clinics will be very busy.  You would be very surprised at the resources that exist for the poor. They just don't know about them. Yet that is. Oh what an ...

Ready To Say Enough Is Enough
Feb 04, 2013

I have done this for years now but have just almost reached the end of what I can take. I have fought retiring, wanted to continue on but I feel the work is just not worth the hassel anymore. We are held to an almost impossible level now, just us, not what kind of dictation is sent our way. Nothing is said to ask others to clean up their dictation to where it is halfway audible but let us have 1 word left off that is not even meaning to the context of the report and we are called on the carpet f ...

I Think I Am Ready To Go Out And Get A Job Other Than MT!
Feb 04, 2013

Been doing MT & QA for 30 years, since I was in high school!  Boy, how things have changed. My kids are grown and in college now, one in Medical School studying to be a doctor, and I think, I am ready now to go out into the rat rate of 9-5 out of the home! Thinking, administrative assistant, type of position.  My wrists and hands hurt, CTS, and can't get it fixed because I can't be without pay for 6 weeks waiting to heal, etc. etc. etc. It was a fantastic career, all-in ...

Question For QA'ers...How Do You Know When You Are Ready??? Sm
Dec 15, 2009

I've got over 16 years of experience with both acute care and multispecialty clinic.  I'm tired of being insulted by being offered line rates that I would have starved on 10+ years ago.  I'm very interested in pursuing a QA position.  For those of you who have done or are doing QA, how did you know when you were qualified to handle it? I would appreciate any information or tips you would be willing to share.  Thanks! ...

Ready For Another Wave Of . . . .
Mar 06, 2010

Ok, so we DO NOT get paid for reading through our QA feedback, we are getting our line counts cut, and we do not get paid for looking up old reports to cut down on QA?  Something tells me the wind is shfiting and it is ain't smelling too ripe.  Batten down the hatches ladies and gents, thar she BLOWS!!!! ...

Facies Are S/l Ready
Nov 30, 2010

I have heard this before and I don't think the correct spelling is ready, any ideas would be appreciated. ...

Getting Ready To Retire
May 30, 2011

HI everyone, well, here I am about to retire from the Federal Government after 37 years, but would like to go back to transcriptions which I did fo a few years. Course, a few years is a long time and I know I'll need to go back to a school for brush-up. Any recommendations, or should I try to learn to bake cookies instead? Please help! ...

Ready To Run - Need To Vent
Jul 07, 2011

Okay, the Q lost my account of 13 years, put me on new local account, just went live.  All I am hearing is how unhappy the new client is and is in jeopardy, this after about 3 weeks.  All I am hearing is we are sending too many blanks, need to check old reports (excuse me, after 3 weeks not many of those), reports must be perfect.  Next to no client profile to go on.  QA person is trying like crazy to load repository, don't blame her at all.  But the dictators are n ...

Get Ready Transcenders...
Mar 13, 2012

You will be "offered" lots and lots of OT every day, and asked to mail in your committments for every weekend. It is not "mandatory", but if you do not do it, you will be written by your SM asking you to. Same thing. So tiring, day in and day out. Guess I am not a "team player" because I feel I was hired to work 40 hours and any time after that is "My Life Time." ...

Ready, Set, GOOOOOOOOO
Oct 17, 2012

Well it's that time!!!  Next Tuesday is my last day at work (the hospital I work for goes live with MModal).  There are 12 remote transcriptionists at our hospital and only one accepted a position with MModal.  So, whoever works in possibly the North region you all will be getting lots of work soon.  None of us are doing very much to get the work caught up.  It's kind of bittersweet but since we were officially outsourced and signed our paperwork, none of ...

Getting Ready To Change To 7.2
Mar 09, 2013

other than the annoying graph? ...

Taxes...anyone Know When W2s Will Be Ready?
Jan 11, 2014

NM.... ...

I Am Almost Ready To Leave This Job
Jun 29, 2014

I am asking this simply because I pay ZERO attention to emails the company sends out, I have sat here and simply done my job and kiss their tails because I needed the job..So now that I don't here is the question I have..Do I: 1. Start voicing my opinion as to their asinine audits and 99.7% accuracy garbage simply in response to the QC lead that sends them out or maybe cc some of the suits? Anyone have some names for me to send responses to. And then sit back and wait to be fired fo ...

Lines Are Ready. Nm
Dec 17, 2014

xx ...

Gettin Ready To Celebrate
Oct 26, 2010

just kiddin ...

Bottles Of Rady Or Ready What?
Mar 19, 2011

The patient is to go to Radiology and receives 2 bottles of _____________ on the Friday prior to the CT scan (of abdomen and pelvis)  S/L radycad or readycad or something like that. Anyone know?   ...

Ready To Strangle Verizon
Mar 23, 2011

I have been dealing with a payment problem for over 2 weeks. I had 2 phone #s with them, one personal and 1 for my dictation machine. Went with Comcast for the personal # and canceled that account with Verizon. Sent me a bill. I paid 2/3/11. On 3/10, they sent me a refund check for $34 stating I did not owe it. Cashed check. Next day, i get a letter from a collection agency.  In the meantime, Verizon had credited my other phone # with the $34 amount, so now I did owe $34 on the old #. I ca ...

Please Help....ready To Pull My Hair Out...
Jul 19, 2011

It sounds as if the dictator is saying "necrotic syndrome"  however, everything popping up in search is nephrotic syndrome.....this is going all the way through the report...I have slowed the dictator down and listened carefully and she continues to sound as if she is saying necrotic...is the such a syndrome?   thank you in advance for any help. ...

Am I Ready To Give Up Altogether?
Dec 28, 2011

I picture them coming to take my things away...the antique hutch, the old piano, the Christmas tree (if it happens before the last of January), etc. I picture myself in the welfare hotel with all the others, trying to stay above the fray and weed out the figurative and literal noise, an inevitable occurrence in a place like that... perhaps then I'll finally laugh again, for fearing the worst may be actually worse than the actual. ...

PARTY OF 13, YOUR TABLE IS READY....
May 13, 2012

Allow me to introduce myself!  I am one of those very PROUD 13 women.  I am also very proud of the fact that I see so many others here who are willing to stand up and join us in this.  When I read over the very FEW posts from those who say we can't cut it, we are lazy, etc... I laugh.  Yes, you heard that right!  I laugh!  In their ignorance, they make untrue statements about me as they do not know me or my work ethic or my education level o ...

Ready To Leave Mmodal, Had Enough
May 29, 2012

I've been at Mmodal for many years, part-time, no real complaints until now.  I know a lot of people get transferred to new CCMs quite often and I have as well but this time I went to a very hard account.  I'm willing to learn it but then one day after that transfer I was sent back to my original CCM but that account was made my primary instead of my previous ones.  I keep getting those emails about increasing line count, decreasing inactive time, going "mouseless" and I ...

Timecards Are Ready To Be Approved
Apr 01, 2014

Please approve timecards now.  Don't forget to approve timecards.  Timecards need to be approved ASAP.  The fall of humanity is imminant.  Please approve timecards immediately. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT HIS HOLY, APPROVE TIMECARDS RIGHT THIS INSTANT BEFORE WE ALL PERISH AS A RESULT OF YOUR NOT APPROVING YOUR TIMECARDS!!!!!!!! ...