A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Ever gone through new hire and decided you didn't want the job? - mt

Posted: Mar 20, 2013

Has anyone ever gone to work for one of the major transcription companies but then decided they did not want the job. More along the lines of doing the new hire and they realizing this is not a company you want to work for?

Yeah, I lasted about 2 hours with Softscript :) - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Well I guess you did your best at wasting a company's time. nm - SOI

[ In Reply To ..]
x

uncalled for assumption - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You don't know the circumstances. There's nothing wrong with what she did. Perhaps the company wasted the employee's time. Employment at will.

who's wasted time - OldsterMT

[ In Reply To ..]
And how many companies have wasted an MT/ Editor/QA's time when the advertised position was not what we were led to believe? There are plenty of times when these companies waste our time, i.e., extensive application process; multiple levels of interviews when it could have taken one; "we definitely have a job for you, but can you wait until the new account starts?"; bait and switch of accounts; or after passing up other promising opportunities as we hold our breath, oops, this company has already filled all the positions, although we definitely were "hired."

That's why it's called probation period. Both the company and the employee/contractor get to decide if the job is a good opportunity or not.
Not to mention spending an hour or more testing! - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Companies expect us to take these extremely long tests, even though we have VERIFIABLE work history! It wouldn't even be so bad if they said..."Okay, take this test and if you pass, we will hire you." No, they have hundreds of MTs take a test to hire for only five positions. All of the other MTs never even hear back most of the time. THEN, if the same company is hiring again, a month later, they expect you to test AGAIN. I would never worry about wasting their time, as they have wasted way too much of mine!

Yep and I did not listen to the voices telling me - it was a bad idea and I stuck it out. Worse decis

[ In Reply To ..]
A couple of years ago I was hired by the then Focus Infomatics. I had a good job straight typing and I thought I'd get in with one of the big guys and learn how to do editing before I was forced into it and still had good income coming from the straight typing job. The recruiting process went great, but the team lead they gave me to was a FLAKE. I resigned and then let myself get talked into staying by recruiting only if I got put on another team. I should have listened to the first set of signs and left when I said I would. I almost lost my house working for that company.

If it's wrong and your gut is telling you it's wrong, you need to listen. You rarely regret it.

Change of heart - sm - MT4_15years

[ In Reply To ..]
Once because of the posts I read on line about the company were all negative and could not find a positive post to convince me otherwise.

more than once - anon-again

[ In Reply To ..]
Once was with DSG out of Atlanta, GA. From the first week, I knew I had made a mistake. NJA, inconsistent QA feedback, account specifications that were nonexistent or contradictory. Within a few weeks, I knew this was not going to work. Shortly thereafter, I learned that I had multiple colleagues that had gone through the same experience within a similar time that I did.

I had an even more discouraging experience with Keystrokes. I wasted a tremendous amount of unpaid time because tech support couldn't load their program. The coordinator/trainer was not available, although I was. The training was wasted time. Then, although supposedly the account I was assigned had a huge backlog of work and they oh so desperately needed my help, voila, there was barely any work, if any from day one. I begged for a second account and was promised this would occur immediately. Of course, this never materialized. This had to be the most disorganized company I have ever dealt with and I walked away without hesitation within about 3 weeks.

Here's the deal. One only owes any employer a good day's work, one day at a time, in any industry. If there's no work, if it's not a good fit, if the compensation turns out to not be what you were originally told, if any parameters are not what a person needs to make a living income or to keep their sanity, then we need to do whatever it is to move on. Just as these MTSOs do not guarantee us work, we don't have to guarantee them a warm body.

Yes, I have. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I was desperate for a job and applied everywhere and Focus Infomatics offered me a job. She actually didn't even offer, she called me and TOLD me my start date. She asked that I attend an inservice that all other established employees were currently attending, due to a time clock change. I went to the inservice and multiple employees were asking questions like "Well, I will have maybe two jobs, then no jobs for a couple of hours, do I clock out for that?" Right there, I hung up my phone. If the current employees didn't have work, what would make me think I would have work.

I also fell for the whole Global Information Systems "scam". I was told pay was only 5 cpl due to multiple pull-in lines and I would actually be making 10 cpl or more. ONE DAY and the doctor assigned to me had ZERO pull-in lines and they were all three to four-line reports, absolutely no way to make money at 8 or 9 cpl, much less 5 cpl. Emailed my supervisor and told her this and she said "Not all dictators have pull-in lines, this is the doctor assigned to you." I just logged off and never logged in again.

Yes, and like another poster said, I didn't listen to my little voice - Shoulda Known Better

[ In Reply To ..]
My experience was SS - I knew from the interview this wasn't a good place - that plus all the negative posts on the boards. But I needed a job and this one was right in front of me so I jumped into shark infested waters and took it. It was the biggest mistake EVER and I wasted of MY time doing THEIR horrible job. Learned my lesson - will always listen to my little voice!

Similar Messages:

Getting Ouf Of MT, But Cannot Decided Which Way To Go...
Sep 29, 2010

I have made up my mind that I am getting out of MTing.  I am looking into coding through an online program, or getting my bachelors degree (also completely online).  I don't know which way would be more profitable/secure in the long run.  Coding, or getting my bachelors degree (my interests are computer science, psychology, or health information management, wide variety I know).  What do you think? ...

I Have Decided
Jan 16, 2012

to take a coding course. Now its just deciding where to go. I know a lot of you recommend Andrews School.  Has anyone taken the Allied schools course and actually gotten a job? Would you recommend them at all? Thanks. ...

How Pay Should Be Decided
Nov 18, 2012

Here is how I think pay should be decided... 1.  You are new you get 4 CPL until you prove yourself...quality, production, etc., then in 6 months you are evaluated and a raise could be granted, 3% of course. 2.  Everyone should be evaluated on job performance once a year and if you are a good employee a raise should be granted. 3.  I believe any employee who has been with the company for 5-10 years and tier 3 you should automatically be paid 6 CPL.  Let ...

I Have Decided I'm Fed Up With MT, And Getting Out.
Sep 10, 2013

I have a good job for now but am so fed up with people who can't speak English properly, the stuttering, slurring,  mumbling, whispering, and so on, not to mention coroprate bullcrap. I thought I could hang in there to retire, but I'm finally fed up.  Finally figured out something else I can do, a couple things.  I won't have one egg dependent on one basket, and will be much happier in the long run.    Plus no more office crap, which I despise. Just ...

What I Have Decided....sm
Nov 30, 2014

I have decided if this plan does turn out bad I will just sit back and work as usual. I make close to minimum wage now as it is. If I end up making only MW it wont make much of a difference. With that being said, I'll just work everyday and not push my self super hard to meet line requirements (it seems they are getting rid of them) and I wont work my tail off trying to meet all these requirements. I will work and do the best I can without stressing out all the while keeping my eyes op ...

I Think I Have About Decided On Scribe
Jul 19, 2012

I'd like to go into coding, and I think I'd be really good at it too, but medical scribe looks like the direction to go that would require the least amount of training.  I think as soon as the summer is over and I've taken my vacation and used up some PTO, I will apply for that.  Wish me luck. ...

I Have Decided To Quit....
Dec 23, 2012

This was not an easy decision.  I will be able to devote every day after Jan. 1st to find a job.  At this point, all I have to do is find something that pays minimum wage, isn't that sad!  But, something with a future and a company that gives raises, no matter how small and good insurance and time off.  This company will lose a very good MT who has had it.  I have tried to communicate on these boards my support of MModal.  It gave me hope.  I have none now ...

I Have Decided VR Is Just Dangerous!
Jul 31, 2013

Really, with this time of VR, who can actually be accountable for the errors in reports?  My VR is HORRID.  It will completely change the name of medications that the dictator dictates and on and on.  So, when a medical error is made, based on a report where the MT didn't catch a mistake on VR, how can they hold the MT solely responsible?  I mean, we didn't TYPE that error, we just missed a word while proofreading.  I wonder why they would allow something with ...

So While I'm OOW, I Decided To Job Hunt. Sm
Jan 21, 2015

I found several MT companies. When I clicked on "Heartland Info Services" - guess who popped up? NUANCE. WTH? Uh, no thanks. Trying to leave this place. Pretty shaddy of them to use a different name. ...

My Company, Lo And Behold, Has Decided
Apr 20, 2010

to give a little raise to anyone with CMT credentials.   Can anyone tell me if they have passed this test as a tier 2 (with little to no experience with operative reports).  I have about 10 years' experience but haven't done OPs.   Thanks in Advance! ...

Has Anyone Decided To Leave MT For Good Because
Oct 09, 2010

of no work, unable to find a new MT job, or simply sick and tired of it?  What did you decide to do?  I feel like I'm a bit too old to return to school (not to mention I couldn't afford to do it anyway).........  I'm afraid eventually (prob sooner rather than later) there will be no need for MTs anymore, either because they off-shored it all or hospitals go with systems like EPIC.  Does anyone have any advice for an ex MT on what type of job they could quality ...

I've Decided To Apply At M Modal...
Apr 26, 2012

I believe M Modal is the only place hiring part time that will allow satellite.  I'm tired of hearing, "No, satellite is not compatible."  Sooo.... Anyone have any advice?  I will probably take the testing this weekend while I'm off.  One good thing about M Modal is I don't think there is any worry of them being bought out by anyone...  ...

When Work Is Slow, How Is It Decided Who Gets Next Job?
Dec 31, 2014

Just curious.  I'm going to be working tonight when jobs will be few and far between.   When there are 2 or more people working, how does the system decide who gets the next job?   ...

Decided To Take A Job Doing SR With M-modal. Is That A Good Program?
Jan 26, 2012

I have limited experience with SR..  did it for a while about 4 years ago.  Couldn't make any money on it though.  I'm hoping this program is a lot better than the one I used back then and will actually LEARN.  Can people make money doing SR now??  Sadly, though, I think this is the future of transcription. ...

After 30 Years Finally Decided To Embrace VR
Feb 11, 2014

This is a part-time 4 hour position, been at it for a month, and cannot get above 600 lines. I am editing on the Ex-Editor platform and I love it. Care to share any pointers, or things I can do to be more productive. I am definitely not using the mouse but still cannot get above 600 lines in 4 hours. I do have a full-time straight transcription position, and thought I would gradually ease into VR to build speed for what I will probably inevitably be doing. ...

I Have Decided To Name Nuance In My Will. That Way My Tombstone Can Read
Mar 05, 2015

Wait, what am I thinking, I won't have anything to leave them! Sad thing to see happen to so many unsuspecting innocents.         ...

I Decided To Change My Tact A Couple Of Years Ago.
Aug 26, 2010

I began to realize that my victim mindset was the reason I was being treated so badly professionally and socially. Even when I had a good job and good friends, I ended up sabotaging them.  After wising up a little bit in the School of Hard Knocks, I decided to try something different. I was going to work on my relationships both professionally and personally to see if I could get better results and resist the opportunity to strike back, quit my job, tell people off, and otherwise behave li ...

Today I've Decided On A Personal Protest Step To Help Myself.
May 01, 2012

My company has always invited us to create and store template dictations for common use by everyone. I've made many and been happy to share, and since they're good quality they're used by many, even some dictators to set up their own formal templates. It's always pleased me to be a team player, but, let's face it, this is only one more thing that allows my company to hire less skilled people and lower the line rates it pays me.  Just BTW, I figure it costs me proba ...

I've Decided I'm Not Going To Even Open The Boost Stat Emails
Jun 26, 2012

anymore.  What a morale killer, and they just tick me off.  I already know the shortcuts, but if I find it faster or less painful to mouse occasionally, then that's what I'm going to do.  As long as I'm meeting my quota, then please back off.  Jeez, I've never felt more smothered or stalked by a company. ...

You Know You Didn't Get The Job When....
Mar 08, 2012

the HR person interviewing you via phone keeps reminding you he has a lot more interviews to conduct the questions you e-mailed (and were encouraged to e-mail) to the HR person go unanswered the HR person says they will decide by Monday and then later states Wednesday, and then later states another date just my experience of late that I thought I would share   ...

Well I Didn't Think Too Much Of That
Dec 03, 2013

One space to fill in what you'd like to change about the "culture" and if you wanted to go back and add anything well too bad!  I wish I had realized there was only that one place to enter comments.  I thought there would be something more like what do you not like about your job? etc.  ...

THEY DIDN'T PAY ME FOR MY LINES!
Oct 10, 2010

I want to SCREAM! Not only did I not get my PTO, they didn't pay me for my LINES!!!!!! WHO is working in payroll at this company, huh?????? ...

I Didn't Quit.
Feb 21, 2011

Well, I didn't quit. I talked it out with one of the other transcriptionists. It was an extremely busy day, especially for a holiday. I work on two hospital accounts. Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. I'm gonna hang in a while longer. ...

Why Didn't I Get Hired?
Aug 27, 2012

I have been a MT for 30 yrs. I had to stop working 4 yrs ago due to health issues, then finally had 2 surgeries which pretty much took care of the problem. While I was out on disability I got a grant, went back to an AHDI approved University and took refresher courses in MT fulltime for a year. Now, I'm ready to get back to work. I submitted a resume to M-Modal last week and just read they are not considering me. Is there a way to find out why? I'm a good transcriptionist and I want to ...

I Really Am Glad I Didn't
Jan 19, 2013

back in the day, I took the course at the junior college.  The cost was negligible.  I'd be really upset if I spent what these schools charge, only to get a job that pays minimum wage. ...

I Didn't Apply....(sm)
May 13, 2013

I'll tell you how certain I am that there is NO future in medical transcription... anywyere:  Last week a "good" MT job, onsite in a medical clinic, a short drive from where I live, was advertised.  I didn't apply.  I work for a big national.  I make so little money, I have to raid my savings every month to pay my rent.  I've been seeking & applying for MT jobs all over the area, some as far as 80 miles away, and either not hearing back, or being tol ...

If You Didn't Add All These New Accounts
Jan 15, 2014

and not train me on them, I may not have failed my audit...I really don't care, fire me..Not gonna sweat it, not going to change a single thing I do during the day. End of story, done!!! ...

So I Didn't Get A An Answer
May 06, 2014

Still in training and asked if there was a way to look up old reports on Bayscribe.  Does anyone know?  Thanks for any help! ...

If Only I Didn't Have To Do This Anymore
Nov 21, 2014

It's just all I can do to sit here and type these boring reports.  Been doing it for 33 years so please, no comments about how I should have investigated it before I got into it.  I loved it when it was inhouse.  Been home now since 1999 and I'm just so freaking bored.  Stop every 5 minutes just to surf the internet or check my email.  I cannot keep my mind on this mind-numbing job. I'm about to start a coding class, but I'm not terribly optimistic t ...

I Didn't Want A Membership To AHDI.
Apr 22, 2010

But now I automatically have one?  Even if I don't register, AHDI now has my home address (we JUST moved here a week ago, so they got it directly from MQ).  They have my MQ email address (they keep sending me emails). I feel this is a huge violation of my privacy.  I didn't want this stupid membership in the first place, and for MQ to give out my information like that just doesn't seem right at all!   Peed off. ...