A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I Didn't Apply....(sm) - Meerkat

Posted: May 13, 2013

I'll tell you how certain I am that there is NO future in medical transcription... anywyere:  Last week a "good" MT job, onsite in a medical clinic, a short drive from where I live, was advertised.  I didn't apply. 

I work for a big national.  I make so little money, I have to raid my savings every month to pay my rent.  I've been seeking & applying for MT jobs all over the area, some as far as 80 miles away, and either not hearing back, or being told after the interview that they hired someone else. 

I've been watching what goes down at the other MTSOs, and how quickly my company follows suit.  The requirements for accuracy keep going up. (Currently 99.5, soon to be higher. (?!!!!)  Line count requirements keep going up.  Yet there's less and less work, and in order to come anywhere near that number, I have to basically "flex" for 24 hours a day.   The pay keeps shrinking.  The benefits (what little is left -- some bargain basement healthcare insurance, and practically nonexistent PTO.  Which of course, in order to earn, you have to do your linecount minimums to even earn.

It's all a shell game.  Even the onsite jobs.  The few that post enough in their ads for you too be able to read between the lines, indicate that you are being hired only to "train" their  new EMR, and the doctors in how to use it.  Then you'll be shown the door. 

It's no longer a viable career, at ANY level.  Although in our modern times, NO job is truly "safe" anymore, I know that anything having to do with healthcare is just not worth the effort required to obtain.  I think the key to sustainable employment in the forseeable future is to find an industry that isn't just about to go into the convulsions of a major shakeup (or shakedown), which I'm convinced is going to happen in a big way to all aspects of healthcare.

I'm not even sure that training for "a career" in any one field is such a good idea anymore, either. Too risky to put all your eggs in one basket. In the 21st century, it's probably a better idea to become a "Jack-of-all-trades, master of none"... rather than become highly skilled at any one thing.

Although there are probably still pockets here and there of people who would benefit from my medical language skills and experience, I think the time for me to share them has passed, and instead I'm going to walk away from it all, and seek a job where medical language isn't needed at all.  If they need that skill in any way, shape or form, then that would still be too close to the medical field for my own employment or financial security. 

I had been saying for months now, that I was no longer going to seek medical transcription/editing employment, and the truth has shown through, when I finally had no interest at all in even responding to yet another MT job ad.

The MT field is ALREADY dead.  It's going nowhere.  There is no future in it. What little is left is just the agonal gasps before it's finally officially declared deceased.

100% right - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Im riding the horse till it dies so to speak..But I have alternative income and a couple more years till retirement. As for new people, don't waste your time, the original poster is 100% right on target. Its a money game and India transcribes cheaper and after that, it will be done by the doctors themselves, because with Obamacare, they have no extra money and will save it where they can, they can fill in the computer record themselves, my GP already carries a laptop in to every visit and fills it out as we go. Hate it, very impersonal but it is what it is.

So very true... - I only regret

[ In Reply To ..]
that I didn't listen to the Cassandras on this message board 10 years ago who were predicting the demise of MT way back when. Now I limp along and will have to take early SS even though I don't especially want to.

Just curious - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
what you're going to do then? You stated you are raiding your savings account to pay rent, but you can't do that forever. Do you have a plan in place?

Been 6 wks since quitting a job & finding in-house jobs want you to know - Excel, Access, & ins. forms, too! Gotta re-train o

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Sorry for above...re-train or leave the MT business. Having only - MT background did not prepare me for this. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

what are "savings" - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I disagree on your pronouncement of death simply based upon your own experience (as mine is vastly different) but what are these savings of which you speak? :-)

Hope you're able to make a life that works for you. Life's too short to feel so miserable. (Not calling your miserable just sharing that your job situation sounds miserable.)

Thats what we call supper left-overs that will be eaten - for lunch tomorrow. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Don't apply? - My perspective

[ In Reply To ..]
First, no one hires MTs to train physicians to use the EMR, the software vendors train the physicians and staff. Second, you are confusing EMR and voice recognition, they are 2 different things. The on-site jobs you are blowing off could lead to other things within that facility. My employer closed transcription, but it led to other employment for me and several other co-workers in HIM as well as other departments. If I had not hung in there until the very end, I would not have a job now. Part of my job is still MT related (quality assessment) and I do other work in clinical documentation and HIM. Several of my coworkers are also working in various departments throughout our facility. I have a coding background but none of us really had much work experience outside of MT. My opinion is that you need to look beyond MT and think about other ways to use your MT skills. You're reading too much into those job ads. Not to worry, people will be lined up at the door to take those jobs. Personally, I would have jumped on that on-site job opportunity because it would have been a foot in the door, sometimes a person only needs to be in the right place at the right time to be presented with other opportunities. It is certainly true that health care is changing, but nothing stays the same forever, and change is not always a bad thing. If no job is safe, as you say, what are you planning to do? FYI, as an MT for a private medical facility, I was held to the same standards as you are held to at the MTSO, and those who didn't meet those standards had their pay cut by 5% until improved. You need to stop trying to find the bad in everything. Believe me, if/when you begin a new occupation, you will find many things not to your liking. I hope you don't take your negative attitude with you to your new employer.

You sound discouraged and rightfully so, but - I disagree that...sm

[ In Reply To ..]
anything dealing with healthcare is not worth obtaining (being educated in or getting a job in) - That is essentially what you said in one sentence.

There are many jobs in healthcare worth pursuing, a doctor, radiology technician, Registered nurse, License practical nurse, BSN, Nurse Practitioner, physician assistant, lab technicians and on and on. All those jobs are clinical/hands on jobs. Jobs that take a human to perform and they must be present in person in order to do so.

Even as a CNA you can get jobs working in hospitals as patient care technicians and in ERs as patient care techs. If you take it a step farther and get a 6 week phlebotomy certificate then you can work in a physician's office as a medical office assistant, calling patients back, getting vital signs, height, weight, entering data into the EMR before the doc enters the room - Most healthcare systems will cross train their CNAs to be medical office assistants; as most require that you be a CNA in order to become a medical office assistant.

But the point is, these are all hands on positions that cannot be done remotely, they require a person to be there in the flesh and that in and of itself is job security. Healthcare is still a very viable field to pursue a career in, it just all depends on what you want to do.

Similar Messages:

You Know You Didn't Get The Job When....
Mar 08, 2012

the HR person interviewing you via phone keeps reminding you he has a lot more interviews to conduct the questions you e-mailed (and were encouraged to e-mail) to the HR person go unanswered the HR person says they will decide by Monday and then later states Wednesday, and then later states another date just my experience of late that I thought I would share   ...

Well I Didn't Think Too Much Of That
Dec 03, 2013

One space to fill in what you'd like to change about the "culture" and if you wanted to go back and add anything well too bad!  I wish I had realized there was only that one place to enter comments.  I thought there would be something more like what do you not like about your job? etc.  ...

THEY DIDN'T PAY ME FOR MY LINES!
Oct 10, 2010

I want to SCREAM! Not only did I not get my PTO, they didn't pay me for my LINES!!!!!! WHO is working in payroll at this company, huh?????? ...

I Didn't Quit.
Feb 21, 2011

Well, I didn't quit. I talked it out with one of the other transcriptionists. It was an extremely busy day, especially for a holiday. I work on two hospital accounts. Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. I'm gonna hang in a while longer. ...

Why Didn't I Get Hired?
Aug 27, 2012

I have been a MT for 30 yrs. I had to stop working 4 yrs ago due to health issues, then finally had 2 surgeries which pretty much took care of the problem. While I was out on disability I got a grant, went back to an AHDI approved University and took refresher courses in MT fulltime for a year. Now, I'm ready to get back to work. I submitted a resume to M-Modal last week and just read they are not considering me. Is there a way to find out why? I'm a good transcriptionist and I want to ...

I Really Am Glad I Didn't
Jan 19, 2013

back in the day, I took the course at the junior college.  The cost was negligible.  I'd be really upset if I spent what these schools charge, only to get a job that pays minimum wage. ...

If You Didn't Add All These New Accounts
Jan 15, 2014

and not train me on them, I may not have failed my audit...I really don't care, fire me..Not gonna sweat it, not going to change a single thing I do during the day. End of story, done!!! ...

So I Didn't Get A An Answer
May 06, 2014

Still in training and asked if there was a way to look up old reports on Bayscribe.  Does anyone know?  Thanks for any help! ...

If Only I Didn't Have To Do This Anymore
Nov 21, 2014

It's just all I can do to sit here and type these boring reports.  Been doing it for 33 years so please, no comments about how I should have investigated it before I got into it.  I loved it when it was inhouse.  Been home now since 1999 and I'm just so freaking bored.  Stop every 5 minutes just to surf the internet or check my email.  I cannot keep my mind on this mind-numbing job. I'm about to start a coding class, but I'm not terribly optimistic t ...

I Didn't Want A Membership To AHDI.
Apr 22, 2010

But now I automatically have one?  Even if I don't register, AHDI now has my home address (we JUST moved here a week ago, so they got it directly from MQ).  They have my MQ email address (they keep sending me emails). I feel this is a huge violation of my privacy.  I didn't want this stupid membership in the first place, and for MQ to give out my information like that just doesn't seem right at all!   Peed off. ...

Didn't Get Credit For My Last Report Of The Day.
Oct 07, 2010

After my worst day in a long time or maybe ever, I noticed DQScribe was weird when I tried to log out.  Sure enough I checked later and didn't get credit for my last job.  Don't know if it went back into the pool or on through to the customer for free.  I hate this stupid company. ...

Didn't OSi Get Bought Out By Another Company?
Oct 13, 2010

Or am I thinking of a different company cuz I see they are hiring? ...

TTS - I Was Offered A Job But They Didn't Follow Up.
Aug 17, 2011

What is up with this company?    Maybe they lost accounts but at least they could have let me know so I'm not just waiting for training. ...

Oh Shucks...I Didn't Win An IPAD
Jan 26, 2012

How many thousands of employees does "M*Modal" have and they only gave away 2 Ipads?  Let's celebrate!! Wow!! I'm so happy!! This was at what used to be MQCentral. An email about how they entered all of our names in a drawing. Big woop!  ...

Didn't Get Around To Asking Supervisor About Pay Schedule...
Mar 04, 2013

I will have to remember to do that tomorrow. Would anyone care to share the next paydate and when this pay period ends? Thank you in advance! I do have to say having worked for Nuance previously they have MModal beat on providing info to employees. When I hired on with Nuance I got so much paperwork sent to me with info of every kind that there was not one question I could think of that was not covered. That has been a few years back so don't know if they still do that but that was ...

Ever Gone Through New Hire And Decided You Didn't Want The Job?
Mar 20, 2013

Has anyone ever gone to work for one of the major transcription companies but then decided they did not want the job. More along the lines of doing the new hire and they realizing this is not a company you want to work for? ...

You Didn't Say What Your Work Hours Are.
Jun 24, 2014

working 2 to 10 p.m. and bed by 11 or 11:30. I usually get up very early, 5 to 6 a.m., do at least an hour of hard exercise plus other hobbies, and try to nap (about 15-20 minutes) before I start work. Otherwise this job is so boring, I can hardly keep my head up after about 2 hours into it.   ...

LANDESK Didn't Install It
Oct 08, 2014

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that this whole issue came around about a year ago, telling us we must install it, and upon looking into it, it was my impression that it would allow MM to track everywhere we go on our computers, so I didn't install it.  I asked for a company computer, and the matter was eventually dropped until now.  I don't know what to do.  ...

I Didn't Get The Landesk Email...
Oct 09, 2014

I'm in the SE region, so I guess it's a regional matter?  ...

Tried To Cut And Paste But It Didn't Work - Could You Explain Again
May 24, 2010

The first report I tried this with, I was able to copy into a Word document.  The second tiime I tried to cut and paste, the first report kept showing up.  The third time I tried it, the first report copied over the report I had just transcribed and I lost the transcribed report and had to do it all over again.  What am I doing wrong.  Like some of you, I'm being sooooo careful, going over my reports twice before sending them in, and they're coming back with a bunch ...

I Spoke Too Soon .. Some Old Cra* At SS. Didn't Even Get 4 Hours Of Work. Sm
Feb 05, 2011

Saturdays are usually the busiest day so this doesn't bode well.  I guess this just gives me time to test for a company that just emailed me yesterday.  There has to be something out there better than this.   If my other 2 jobs had enough work for me to go full time I would do it in a heartbeat, but they, unlike this miserable excuse for a company (SoftScript), do NOT overhire so I am just thankful I have the part-time work with them.  Guess tonight it is ice ...

I Had A Great Count Today - Didn't Have Any SR.
Oct 30, 2012

So, MM, don't tell me SR will allow me to be more productive! Because the SR is so horrid, I get more done straight typing. But, MM can't handle the truth. ...

Does Anyone Still Work With Diskriter? Didn't Realize They Were Still Around. NM
Apr 02, 2013

. ...

I Guess Vern And Amy Didn't Make There 99.5%.
Jun 19, 2013

And how much do they pay the whizzard who decided we need to use stronger passwords?  How profound. ...

Promised Work, But Didn't Deliver
Sep 17, 2014

I recently started working for a urologist who in the ad said that work would be daily, Mon-Fri two hours worth and they would be paying by the hour for it.  I thought that would fit in great with my schedule.  Well a few months later and I get work once or twice a week and they tell me how long it should take (in other words how much they are willing to pay).  My last invoice was for about 150.00 for a month.  It does not take me long to do it, but I'm not happy that th ...

Anyone Else Get A Note From Timekeeper Regarding Why They Didn't Do MOT Last Week?
Apr 06, 2015

X ...

Didn't Know MQ Requires Credit/background Check
Nov 18, 2009

nm ...

I Hope The Doctor Just Didn't Dictate About An Investigation
Nov 19, 2010

but I just did a report on a 10 month old that fell from the sofa to the carpeted floor and supposedly got a skull fracture.  Not one word was said about an investigation of child abuse, but I find this sort of thing worrisome.  I sure hope SOMEONE will look into any case like this, whether it is dictated or not. ...

Is There An Incentive Bonus This Weekend? Didn't Get Any Email.
Jan 14, 2011

xx ...

Uscribe - Good/Bad - Didn't Find Anything In Archives
Feb 14, 2011

Would appreciate any info. ...