A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Best word book reference for Acute care - soupwench

Posted: Jan 23, 2012

Am transitioning from Rad to Acute care to "broaden" my hiring potential.  Have 2-3 years experience with Acute care but it has been a few years.  Would appreciate any input on the best reference book.  Anybody have a favorite they find invaluable? 

My personal faves are these Stedman's: - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
*Medical & Surgical Equipment Words
*Cardiology & Pulmonary Words
*Orthopaedic & Rehab Words

I live and breathe acute care and these are the most battle-worn books in my collection. Actually got most of them second-hand from people on this site years ago.

If I had to choose just one, it would be the ortho book. Mine has been "ridden hard and put away wet" and is actually starting to fall apart!

It was a work requirement to have the huge Dorland's medical dictionary and, while handy in the beginning, it has now become a foot rest thanks to Google and all it's awesome anatomy photos and whatnot. I wouldn't spend the $$ on it now though. Enjoy your new gig!
:)

TY all - soupwench

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you all for your responses. I have the Medical Phrase book and the ortho, neuro, gastro, pathology and a PDR as well as textbooks from anatomy and microbiology. Looks like I will pick up a surgical word book and a lab values. Will see if that fills in the holes.

word books suggestions - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
My most used in acute care: Stedman's Ortho/Rehab, Cardio/Pulm, OB/GYN, GI/GU, med/surg equipment.

Ortho/Rehab also covers most neurosurgery/neurology terminology.

GI/GU shares a lot of terms with OB/GYN, so if you don't want to buy both, get the GI/GU first.

I like the "Nursing Drug Handbook" for consistent reference. You can also download this book onto your computer.

Also:
http://www.prescriptiondrug-info.com/
http://www.rxlist.com/drugs/alpha_a.htm
http://www.chemocare.com/bio/
http://www.mt911.com/
http://www.googlemt.com/
http://www.mtdictionary.com/

If you buy word books, don't buy new.
http://www.half.ebay.com/
http://www.amazon.com/

Books - Way Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I live and breathe on Stedman's and Medial Phrase Index. My Medical Phrase Index never needs updating, because it's just basic terminology phrases you will hear in acute care, rather than special tests and things. My Stedman's could use updating, but with the Internet, I stopped investing--but I still use them every day.

A Stedman's surgical equipment book is a must if you're doing surgery.

best word books - medspeak

[ In Reply To ..]
Medical Phrase Index is certainly a big part of my everyday life, but I have found that Stedman's Pathology & Lab Medicine Words a tremendous help. Even with Google, I definitely count on my Stedman's! Good Luck!

Acute Care Books - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for all the suggestions here for acute care. I want to break into it after years of working in orthopedics. I feel I can and have had some classes. Yesterday I ran across a mini module tape fromthe old AAMT (AHDI now). I had to dub it to a microcassette to use it on a transcriber. They have three med/surg tapes available. It was fun to get into typing the reports yesterday. The tapes come complete with keys so don't cheat until you are done with the dictation, LOL. I have a chance at a hospital job here in town when business picks up and want to refresh. I have most of the books suggested here except the Medical Phrase and will get that one too. Thanks again everyone.

Also... - JL

[ In Reply To ..]
All mentioned above, plus I could not live without my Mosby's Diagnostic and Laboratory Test Reference. That's something that doesn't go out of style, either. I know "this stuff" can be looked up on the Internet, but sometimes a book is faster and I feel more comfortable in terms of accuracy than I do a Google search.

I've had it since 1998 and I still use it. It gives the normal/abnormal test range levels and what they could mean.

Good luck!
Mosby's - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
I have seen that book too and will order it. Otherwise, I am pretty well stocked up on books. I'm ready for that acute care position. Thanks.

Similar Messages:

Reference Book
May 25, 2013

Does anyone know of a "be-all/end-all" reference book for all the stages and grades across all disciplines (specialties) and whether they are expressed in roman or arabic numerals.  If there is, it would be worth it's weight in gold to me (almost).  Thanks! - B ...

Maybe The Name Of A Drug Reference Book?
Jul 19, 2010

Looking for possibly the name of a book (s/l Apocerteries).  Doc states they looked up potential drug interaction and according to "Apocerties" there is none.  Can't find anything close to even get a hit. ...

Good Drug Reference Book?
Feb 23, 2011

I am a newly hired MT and do not have a drug reference book yet.  I am looking for suggestions for a good drug reference book.  Also, looking for any other suggestions that may help me improve my knowledge and speed.  Thanks! ...

Can Anyone Recall The Name Of This Drug Reference Book?
Aug 12, 2012

I'm trying to locate/remember the name of a drug reference book I used to have. It was ring-bound (plastic), had a white cover, and was slim and lightweight. It just had the meds in alphabetical order. I would like to get another and can't seem to recall any info about it, and therefore can't locate one to purchase! ...

Most CPs Make Reference To The Book Of Stye 2.
Oct 24, 2014

Has anyone actually read all 500+ pages? Our group was told we were doing headings the wrong way for an account which is new to our group, but that was not listed in the CP. When questioned, we were directed to the BOS2. Fortunately, we were given the path to find that section. Although some of what was demanded was in the BOS2, other demands were not. Very frustrating. I have found the BOS to be so unwieldy to use, that I normally do not bother. Of course, this put my panties in a bun ...

Acute Care - What Does Acute Care Consist Of?
Apr 08, 2010

I know this is a really stupid question but, what does acute care consist of?  What types of reports are acute care?  I understand that it is basically emergency type of care or short-term care, but exactly what types of reports would you be transcribing? TIA ...

How To Type Book Reference In Letter Form?
Mar 06, 2012

Letter to insurance saying why procedure is needed. In body, he references this book.  How to type? Perez and Brady's Principle and Practice of Radiation Oncology, fifth edition, radiation oncology textbook, page 1622, also states ...

How Do You Get Into Acute Care?
Dec 29, 2009

Alot of the job listings ask for 5+ years in this area, so how do you get into it in the first place? I don't mind starting at the bottom and moving up... But where is the bottom? I had a job with a company but they would not pay me. So now I am trying to look for a job again and not many people wantt o hire someone that does not have alot of experience. So.. How do you get into a specialty?? ...

Acute Care! Acute Care! Acute Care!
Oct 04, 2010

That's it!  I've had it with transcription companies that only offer acute care transcription and don't pay you anything for it anyway!  That if you don't have acute care experience or been lucky enough to obtain it.  SOL.  I'm changing my profession. ...

WOW, Just Saw An Ad For 0.6 CPL For ACUTE CARE! (sm)
Dec 29, 2010

I truly hope that no one applies for this job.  That is even beyond ridiculous for clinic work! ...

Why Does Acute Care Have More ESL?
Nov 10, 2012

I transcribe both clinic and some acute care, and the acute care that I transcribe has a higher percentage of ESL dictators.  It seems like that is typical for acute care.  Why is that?  Are the ESL doctors drawn more to being hospitalists? ...

Ped Vs Acute Care
Sep 26, 2013

What is the difference between ped and regular adult acute care transription?  I am being asked if I have ped experience but wouldn't they be the same?   ...

Acute Care?
Sep 23, 2014

As a relative newbie MT, I'm not certain what "acute care" means. Does it mean basically all reports that are from doctors in the hospital setting? That is, would any hospital operative note, hospital progress note, and all discharge summaries be considered "acute care"? I know a clinic note is basically a note by an outpatient doctor, right? And it's basically about more minor medical problems albeit could be chronic rather than "acute." ...

What Is Acute Care Experience?
Nov 02, 2009

What is acute care experience?  Do you work for the hospital? I am sooo green to MT! Appreciate advice about this. Still waiting to start the AIM  MT internship. Anyone done it?   Diane in Vermont   ...

Help With Radiology And Acute Care
Dec 26, 2009

Happy Christmas everyone!  I am looking after 2 accounts over Christmas, one Radiology and one Acute Care, neither of which I have any experience of!  Can anybody out there point me in the direction of some good websites that would give me vocabulary lists or a "crash course" on these topics?!  ...

Working As An MT Acute Care...
Feb 22, 2010

I completed my education with Everett Community College in their Career Step program for MT training in Dec. 2006.  I have been working ever since in a rehab/therapy clinic.  I am the only one who does the transcription for 7 therapists and it is a rather busy office.  I have wanted to find work doing hospital transcription and certainly not from lack of trying to locate work on my part.  What frustrates me is that I was told by my instructors that I should be able to find su ...

Can A Clinical MT Ever Be An Acute Care MT
Apr 13, 2010

How long does it take for a clinical MT to become an acute care MT, or I am losing my mind even trying?  I have an interview with WalMart today and am actually considering it.... my confidence is down the toilet.  Any thoughts?  Thanks. ...

Getting Acute Care Experience
May 26, 2010

I have been an MT for 11 years and am wanting to expand my knowledge base beyond the realm of radiology. I have been applying for acute care positions but I am not even given the opportunity to test most of the time because I don't have any acute care experience. I would like to know what I would have to do in order to get some acute care experience behind me so that I can become eligible to apply for and test for acute care positions. Any information anyone has on this would be most a ...

Radiology Vs Acute Care
Jun 06, 2010

Can anybody tell me if you can make more money doing Radiology or Acute Care? ...

Any Clinic MTs Try For An Acute Care Job...
Jun 04, 2010

And get hired? Opportunites are limited with clinic work, which is all I have experience with, but nobody will give me a chance. Should I apply for acute care positions anyway? Anyone MTs who only did clinic work have any stories about breaking into it? ...

Learning Acute Care
Jul 25, 2010

I have been doing clinics for 10 years.  Now I am learning acute care and it is very tough.  Lots of doctors and no time to learn each one of them.  Very tough.  Does it usually take a long time to learn this.  They say I am doing great, but lots of blanks! ...

What Categorizes Acute Care? 
Dec 28, 2010

What categorizes acute care?  I mean i have typed clinic notes for family practices and have done endocrinology ( i have not been an MT long and am still learning the lingo). when they say looking for acute care experience, what does that consist of?   thanks guys!! ...

TransTech Acute Care?
Aug 11, 2011

I see that TransTech just placed an ad for acute care MTs.   I was hoping that someone who currently works there or has worked for them in the past could share how your experience was.   Do you run out of work a lot?   Are they an overall good company to work for and treat their MTs well?   I remember reading in the distant past that a lot of people there were running out of work a lot.   Is this still an issue or a thing of the past?  Any feedback on this company w ...

Does Nuance Pay More For Acute Care
Dec 06, 2011

. ...

What Is Considered Acute Care?
Dec 21, 2011

Are things like EEG, EMG, EGD, inpatient H&P, discharge summary, inpatient consults, neonatology, and ED reports considered acute care?   ...

Tier 2 For Acute Care
Mar 28, 2012

Can anyone tell me the cpl range for a Tier 2 acute care MT at M*Modal? I was given an offer and just wanted to see if it is typical. Thanks. ...

Everyone Wants Acute Care Experience, But...
Jul 28, 2012

...nobody is willing to hire you so you can GET that experience!!!   So, short of lying on your resume, how exactly does one go about this??  And what is so special about AC experience anyways???   ...

How To Get Acute Care Experience?
Aug 01, 2012

Can someone please tell me how to get acute care experience? ...

How Do You Get Acute Care Experience?
Aug 06, 2012

I would love to know how you get acute care experience when no one will give you the opportunity without it. I am good at what I do and work hard. I am very frustrated because my current job went to voice recognition (which I am sure everyone is on that boat with me). My pay has been cut in half and I am looking for extra work but no one will look at me without acute care experience. Does anyone have any suggestion?  ...

Why Can't I Work In Acute Care?
Oct 03, 2012

I want to work in acute care and have transcribed for almost 30 years. I know I can do it. Why can't I find someone who will hire me and give me a chance since there are so many acute care transcription jobs out there? I have good experience in orthopedics and a good work ethic. Just wondering. ...