A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Why can't I work in acute care? - anon

Posted: Oct 03, 2012

I want to work in acute care and have transcribed for almost 30 years. I know I can do it. Why can't I find someone who will hire me and give me a chance since there are so many acute care transcription jobs out there? I have good experience in orthopedics and a good work ethic. Just wondering.

Because Acute Care is not as easy as you think - takes a long time to be proficient

[ In Reply To ..]
And companies are not willing to train anymore.

Puleeze. I started on acute care. If you can research, you can - do any specialty. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Disagree - Different from Clinic-nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx
Sure, different. Not impossible if you have research skills. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I can do it! - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I can research and I have all the Stedman's books. I can do it. I need a job.
Well, I hope you find one. You might google sample op notes, just - to get a feel what they are about. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Look at H&Ps also, and consultations. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
and particular attention to instruments on OPs, labs on all other - reports. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sure you can do it - vf
[ In Reply To ..]
All my experience is in radiology and I lucked up in 2010 and was placed on a VA account doing acute care for multiple hospitals. I had no training and was just thrown to the wolves. What I did prior to going for it, though, was study various reports I found on line. I then added words, phrases, and drugs to my speed type dictionary long before ever hearing them spoken. So when I got the job, even hearing "extraocular movements intact" for the first time was no problem because I had already created the phrase in my speed type dictionary and only had to type xommit to insert that phrase based on the syllables I used to create it. It took several months to do this but it sure helped when I was able to insert unfamiliar phrases and drugs with a few keystrokes. Sure you will be slow in the beginning and will have to do research, but you can do it if someone would just give you a chance.
I went directly from 2 decades of clinic-only work - right into acute care. I found - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
it to not be actually HARDER, just some different words, exams, or formats. That wasn't any more researching and looking up than I did in a normal day typing at the clinic.

However, going from a fairly user-friendly transcription program at the clinic to the ridiculously complicated and bogged-down and user UNFRIENDLY software at an MTSO that hired me to do acute care was another story.

Anyway, don't let people try to scare you by saying acute care is "more difficult" than other transcription types. It's just slightly different, that's all. No more different than going from acute care to radiology (which I've done, also), or from clinic to acute care. The main difference in the latter is that some of the patients stay overnight.
What MTSO out there is willing to give me a chance? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Do you know of any MTSOs that might give me a test or a chance at acute care? I have had a lot of terminology and research experience over the years and know I can do this work if given a chance. Since there are a lot more acute care jobs available I would think some MTSOs would be willing to give me a chance at it. Granted it will be slow at first but I know I can catch on. In my last job, I did a lot of different specialties and it went very well. I agree the platforms can be a pain.
We have encouraged you, now it is on you. Apply, apply, apply. - The only way to find that MTSO. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I was in the same boat. - CrankyOldBroadStillOnTheBeach
[ In Reply To ..]
Four years ago, I went from 36 years of clinical experience in several specialties to not even being allowed to test at some of the companies. Finally, a nice little company called TRS hired me with the offer to train me in acute care. Even after 36 years in clinical, the acute care learning curve was pretty steep, just because there were so many new terms that I had only encountered rarely, if ever. Six months later, TRS got gobbled up by Transcend, which I found supremely ironic because Transcend was one of the companies that wouldn't look at me before, and now they had me anyway. And now T has been gobbled up by Nuance, which is another story altogether....

So do what I did. Apply, apply, and apply.
I will apply - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm going to apply, apply, apply and apply some more and maybe, just maybe, it will happen. Thanks for all your encouragement. WOW 36 years of MTing. You are an inspiration and I thank you for your service in our profession.

agreeapalooza - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I started with acute care and it was at an VA hospital so it was the worst of the worse.

I agree. When I started out in MT I did acute care. - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I had not had one class or any prior experience. I had always had a love of medicine and easily absorbed the knowledge. I was even doing QA before I started transcribing.

That scenario wouldn't work these days, but if you have a foundation in clinic work then I don't think it is that hard to move into acute care. Ops would probably be harder because there are new terms every day, but if you can research it isn't that difficult.

I'm not trying to say if you can type and research you can do acute care, but if you have MT experience, in radiology, clinic, or whatever, than moving into acute care isn't that difficult.

Difference between one specialty and a multitude - me

[ In Reply To ..]
You probably could do it but most places do not have time to mentor you - they have turnaround times to meet....plus there are multiple surgical instruments, drugs, sound-alikes....I could go on and on. Medquist (before it became MModal) used to take on people to mentor - don't know if they still do. A good work ethic is great but you need more than that. Just my 2 cents. Most acute care is involved with extensive ELS doctors also - that is another factor to consider. Good luck.

Because they have 100s of applicants. Googling means - you could transfer much easier than in past. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Make no mistake, though, although the extremely long learning curve is shorter, it would require a substantial investment in terms of lost income (we're talking probably several thousand) to make the change.

Good luck doing it, though. If you could limit yourself to 1 or 2 accounts to slice and dice that learning-period loss, I'd definitely recommend that.

Know what you mean - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't as many years under my belt as you, but I have done acute care. After finishing an MT course I got myselt stuck in the clinics rut. Lots of different specialites, but no one will consider me--probably for all the reasons given above. I will occasionaly get an op note, or maybe a procedure note, but not often.

What's really frustrating is so many companies hire new MTs to do it. Maybe the material is fresher for them--dunno.

Earning 0 right now. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm earning 0 right now so anything would be better than that. I welcome the challenge at this point and tired of being unemployed. Thanks for all the help everyone.

30 Years of Orthopedics - Versus Acute Care

[ In Reply To ..]
Acute care is a whole different ball of wax, HUGE. Even if you had, say, 30 years of clinic cardiology, clinic nephrology and clinic gastroenterology, and your clinic ortho, the hospital above specialties are a totally different animal. The dictators are harder in a hospital, the medications are different from anything you'll hear in a clinic, the diseases are out of this world, the lab tests are foreign from clinic labs, you have more background noise than you can imagine, etc., etc.

It really is like a different language. Those who take really, really good courses are invited to test for acute care and those who have acute care experience are invited to test for acute care.

Trust me, you don't want to get into a situation where you are in tears most of the time. I have 15 years acute care, and I still have my extreme challenges, though I don't cry anymore. ;)

Not trying to discourage you, I'm just wanting you to understand.

Just let me test for it!! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd like to test for it. I did once and the lady at the hospital that did the hiring was going to hire me but then decided they did not need another MT so I did not get hired but I passed the test. I'm not afraid of it in fact I welcome the challenge if someone wants to give me the chance. I just have a gut feeling, I can do it.

Then start taking tests for companies, after you test, send - a resume

[ In Reply To ..]
If you know you can do it, put your money where your mouth is and test.

Good Luck!
I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
All the ads say at least 3 to 5 years acute care experience and I don't know if they would let me test. I want to though, give me a test and I'll take it. I would really like to see what I can do with it. I've had a course at Oak Horizons for acute care and bought the surgery books and surgery instruments books and other books. I've spent lots of money on them and even a new laptop that I would like to use. Thanks for the words of encouragement, they are taken to heart.

Please, a good acute care MT is not better than a good MT of - any other specialty. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Acute care, I am sure you could do it.. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You might have more luck if you start off at a surgery center account or smaller company, who usually pays more anyways. Also, accounts that still use Cphones are easier to get hired, as not many MTs these days still have one or want to purchase one, but they do hold their value and sound great.

BTY, why would you want to transcribe acute care when it really no longer pays more and is much more involved and expensive? Back in the day, acute care paid more, but from what I have read on this board, it no longer does. You also would need a complete reference library, including surgical equipment, each speciality, tests, etc. I started in acute care, and my first year it cost me $8000 to work despite working 6-7 days a week. When I got laid off, I went to clinic work and made significantly more money, although that went EMR and I am back in surgery centers with some clinic work.

I love operative reports the best, and when I started, it was a lot easier than preop HPs because of no medications, just anesthesia. You can save out surgeries per physician to use later, as they dictate pretty much the same thing; hence how you increase your line rate and for reference (just in case you have audio difficulties on some days).

Good luck!! Iknow you can do it. I did straight out of transcription school with no experience (and a significant hearing problem), so I am sure you can too.

Similar Messages:

Acute Care - What Does Acute Care Consist Of?
Apr 08, 2010

I know this is a really stupid question but, what does acute care consist of?  What types of reports are acute care?  I understand that it is basically emergency type of care or short-term care, but exactly what types of reports would you be transcribing? TIA ...

How Do You Get Into Acute Care?
Dec 29, 2009

Alot of the job listings ask for 5+ years in this area, so how do you get into it in the first place? I don't mind starting at the bottom and moving up... But where is the bottom? I had a job with a company but they would not pay me. So now I am trying to look for a job again and not many people wantt o hire someone that does not have alot of experience. So.. How do you get into a specialty?? ...

Acute Care! Acute Care! Acute Care!
Oct 04, 2010

That's it!  I've had it with transcription companies that only offer acute care transcription and don't pay you anything for it anyway!  That if you don't have acute care experience or been lucky enough to obtain it.  SOL.  I'm changing my profession. ...

WOW, Just Saw An Ad For 0.6 CPL For ACUTE CARE! (sm)
Dec 29, 2010

I truly hope that no one applies for this job.  That is even beyond ridiculous for clinic work! ...

Why Does Acute Care Have More ESL?
Nov 10, 2012

I transcribe both clinic and some acute care, and the acute care that I transcribe has a higher percentage of ESL dictators.  It seems like that is typical for acute care.  Why is that?  Are the ESL doctors drawn more to being hospitalists? ...

Ped Vs Acute Care
Sep 26, 2013

What is the difference between ped and regular adult acute care transription?  I am being asked if I have ped experience but wouldn't they be the same?   ...

Acute Care?
Sep 23, 2014

As a relative newbie MT, I'm not certain what "acute care" means. Does it mean basically all reports that are from doctors in the hospital setting? That is, would any hospital operative note, hospital progress note, and all discharge summaries be considered "acute care"? I know a clinic note is basically a note by an outpatient doctor, right? And it's basically about more minor medical problems albeit could be chronic rather than "acute." ...

What Is Acute Care Experience?
Nov 02, 2009

What is acute care experience?  Do you work for the hospital? I am sooo green to MT! Appreciate advice about this. Still waiting to start the AIM  MT internship. Anyone done it?   Diane in Vermont   ...

Help With Radiology And Acute Care
Dec 26, 2009

Happy Christmas everyone!  I am looking after 2 accounts over Christmas, one Radiology and one Acute Care, neither of which I have any experience of!  Can anybody out there point me in the direction of some good websites that would give me vocabulary lists or a "crash course" on these topics?!  ...

Working As An MT Acute Care...
Feb 22, 2010

I completed my education with Everett Community College in their Career Step program for MT training in Dec. 2006.  I have been working ever since in a rehab/therapy clinic.  I am the only one who does the transcription for 7 therapists and it is a rather busy office.  I have wanted to find work doing hospital transcription and certainly not from lack of trying to locate work on my part.  What frustrates me is that I was told by my instructors that I should be able to find su ...

Can A Clinical MT Ever Be An Acute Care MT
Apr 13, 2010

How long does it take for a clinical MT to become an acute care MT, or I am losing my mind even trying?  I have an interview with WalMart today and am actually considering it.... my confidence is down the toilet.  Any thoughts?  Thanks. ...

Getting Acute Care Experience
May 26, 2010

I have been an MT for 11 years and am wanting to expand my knowledge base beyond the realm of radiology. I have been applying for acute care positions but I am not even given the opportunity to test most of the time because I don't have any acute care experience. I would like to know what I would have to do in order to get some acute care experience behind me so that I can become eligible to apply for and test for acute care positions. Any information anyone has on this would be most a ...

Radiology Vs Acute Care
Jun 06, 2010

Can anybody tell me if you can make more money doing Radiology or Acute Care? ...

Any Clinic MTs Try For An Acute Care Job...
Jun 04, 2010

And get hired? Opportunites are limited with clinic work, which is all I have experience with, but nobody will give me a chance. Should I apply for acute care positions anyway? Anyone MTs who only did clinic work have any stories about breaking into it? ...

Learning Acute Care
Jul 25, 2010

I have been doing clinics for 10 years.  Now I am learning acute care and it is very tough.  Lots of doctors and no time to learn each one of them.  Very tough.  Does it usually take a long time to learn this.  They say I am doing great, but lots of blanks! ...

What Categorizes Acute Care? 
Dec 28, 2010

What categorizes acute care?  I mean i have typed clinic notes for family practices and have done endocrinology ( i have not been an MT long and am still learning the lingo). when they say looking for acute care experience, what does that consist of?   thanks guys!! ...

TransTech Acute Care?
Aug 11, 2011

I see that TransTech just placed an ad for acute care MTs.   I was hoping that someone who currently works there or has worked for them in the past could share how your experience was.   Do you run out of work a lot?   Are they an overall good company to work for and treat their MTs well?   I remember reading in the distant past that a lot of people there were running out of work a lot.   Is this still an issue or a thing of the past?  Any feedback on this company w ...

Does Nuance Pay More For Acute Care
Dec 06, 2011

. ...

What Is Considered Acute Care?
Dec 21, 2011

Are things like EEG, EMG, EGD, inpatient H&P, discharge summary, inpatient consults, neonatology, and ED reports considered acute care?   ...

Tier 2 For Acute Care
Mar 28, 2012

Can anyone tell me the cpl range for a Tier 2 acute care MT at M*Modal? I was given an offer and just wanted to see if it is typical. Thanks. ...

Everyone Wants Acute Care Experience, But...
Jul 28, 2012

...nobody is willing to hire you so you can GET that experience!!!   So, short of lying on your resume, how exactly does one go about this??  And what is so special about AC experience anyways???   ...

How To Get Acute Care Experience?
Aug 01, 2012

Can someone please tell me how to get acute care experience? ...

How Do You Get Acute Care Experience?
Aug 06, 2012

I would love to know how you get acute care experience when no one will give you the opportunity without it. I am good at what I do and work hard. I am very frustrated because my current job went to voice recognition (which I am sure everyone is on that boat with me). My pay has been cut in half and I am looking for extra work but no one will look at me without acute care experience. Does anyone have any suggestion?  ...

What Exactly Is Acute Care Experience?
Nov 09, 2012

I feel dumb asking this, but I have done many types of transcription and I'm wondering if any of them apply as "acute care." ...

Acute Care Experience
Nov 12, 2012

I have been looking for full or part-time work for quite some time now.  Most of the ads require acute care experience.  Is it worth taking a course for acute care or should I work on getting my CMT certification?  With all of the changes to health care recently, I didn't know if it was worth pursuing.  ...

Accentus Acute Care
Mar 23, 2013

Does anyone know why Accentus Acute Care seems to always have the same job ad hiring for acute care MTs that pays a sign-on bonus?  It seems as though either they never fill these positions or they are so difficult nobody stays.  I would be interested in applying, but the last time I tried to apply with them on the ambulatory side, I could not get the voice file to work.  Is this even worth applying for?  What is their cpl rate and do they pay for spaces?  Thanks for any ...

Acute Care Question
Apr 29, 2013

I've been in transcription since 1998, doing clinic work for about 13 of those, then moving to acute care consisting of H&P, consults, and discharge summaries....but not op notes. I see so many jobs for acute care work, but they only want people who've done all four. My question is, how do you go about learning to do op notes in order to obtain one of those jobs? I've been tempted to fib and say I have experience just to get the job and then figured maybe I could learn on the job ...

RE-TRAIN ACUTE CARE
May 10, 2013

I have been a transcriptionist for the past 22 years.  I have worked in hospitals and clinics as well as an IC.  Early in my career, I transcribed acute care, autopsy, pathology and radiology reports.   For the past 15 years I have concentrated on transcribing radiology reports which has been profitable for me since I did not mind typing difficult dictators and ESL physicians.   Currently, am fortunate to be working as a full-time employee and have my hourly rate.&n ...

Accentus Acute Care/ER
Aug 01, 2013

Considering Accentus Acute Care/ER, but looking for feedback on anything you can tell me about the company people, QA, work, pay scale with incentives, etc.  Also, how has the Nuance purchase affected anything or will it?  Thank you. ...

How To Get Acute Care Exp, Have 16 Yrs Of Radiology
Sep 19, 2013

I have over 16 years experience with radiology transcription, but only 1 to 2 months experience with acute care. How can I get more experience with acute care?  Almost all the job openings I find need acute-care experience, at least one or two years.  Can anyone help me? Any ideas? I appreciate your help. ...