A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Account Ending, Starting to Look Around - Pollywog

Posted: Feb 14, 2013

Well, another job bites the dust! After working for the same MTSO for 5 years, she just notified us that our job will be ending at the end of the month.  The hospital did not renew our contract and signed with M Modal instead.  The same exact thing happened to me after working for another MTSO for four years prior to this one.  All the little guys are getting swallowed up by the big nationals, it seems.  

So, now I get to search for another job (sigh).  I've got 8+ years experience in acute care, mostly on ChartScript platform.  I have always worked as an IC but am considering working as an employee because I'd like to have some benefits.  I was making 10.5 cents a line and 12 cents on weekends as an IC but had to pay my own taxes and had no benefits.  I realize that this line rate is basically unheard of anymore, but I was hoping maybe some of you could privately email me and let me know about the compensation, benefits, bonuses, work environment etc. where you're working now because I have no idea where I should start applying.  And, if anyone works for a smaller company that does not outsource (are there any of those left?), I'd really appreciate hearing from you.  

I have never done any work with voice recognition, either, but would be willing to learn.  If anyone can share their experience with VR versus straight typing, I'd love to hear from you!  I am good with grammar and proofing and thought this might be an avenue for me to explore.  Any suggestions as to which companies offer training and decent compensation in VR would be greatly appreciated.

M Modal has offered to hire us there and I have filled out the application.  I would also appreciate some objective opinions about that company.  

I know I'm asking for a lot of info, and any tidbits and nuggets of information that anyone sends my way are greatly greatly appreciated!  I've searched the archives but so much information seems to be outdated and a lot of it seems to be from disgruntled folks.

You can start with the M-Modal board, dig in an read. - ask them, they all work there. NM

[ In Reply To ..]

SORRY to hear about your job - mebe

[ In Reply To ..]
Unless you get your own accounts, you're not likely to get anywhere close to those rates.

8.5 is likely the top you'll find unless you get grabbed up by another small MTSO who hasn't had to cut rates in order to stay relevant.

MModal would likely be a good bet, but it's a whole different animal.

I don't envy your journey but keep positive and keep looking. And make sure you are starting now because for a lot of companies, it takes a month or more to get through the process.

I would prob go with MModal because.... - blondie

[ In Reply To ..]
They are willing to take u on and train you to use VR. You can get that VR experience and once you have that if you want to pursue another job then you can, but some companies won't take you on if you don't know VR nowdays. Just an idea. That is prob what I would do.

just wondering - mls

[ In Reply To ..]
Was the service that you worked for and that has now been bought out located in California? It was for 3 hospitals in the Santa Barbara area. I think this may be the service I worked for last year and was thinking of checking back in with her to see if any jobs are available now. Just wondering. Thank you.

If you go with MModal you will end up with ridiculously low pay - and no work. Do not go there. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Not necessarily would she end up with no work and - low pay..sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If she went over with her account, possibly nothing would change for her work-wise. I went with them when they got my account and still had plenty, in fact even more because they had all the other hospitals owned by that network and so all accounts were on the same team. Also, they agreed to come as close as matching my pay as possible so I hired on as a tier 3 and I make 6 for editing and 10 for straight typing.

It would be worth it to give it a shot and see what happens. She has nothing to lose at this point. She could just sign on with them to get the editing experience and move on or just sign on and work for them until she finds another job.

I have a phone interview Monday... - Pollywog

[ In Reply To ..]
It will be interesting to see what they have to say. Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to respond.

Similar Messages:

Anyone Else Starting With The New Landmark Account Today?
Sep 17, 2013

New account starting up today.  Anyone else giving it a shot? ...

Will Be Starting With M*Modal On A Radiology Account. Just Wondering What To Expect.
Mar 02, 2012

I am being paid per report and was wondering if it is better than per line. ...

Job Ending...
Sep 04, 2012

I work for a major medical center that is in the transition phase of pearl/cerner with the program that allows the physicians to pick from templates and pen based/touch screen to do their own reports as they are seeing the patient, which is phasing out transcription all together. We may have 30 days, may have a few more months, they cannot say for sure. The only thing they can say with certainty is that they will no longer need us and we need to be making plans for a career change in the form ...

TRANSCRIPTIONISTS CAREERS ENDING?
May 02, 2011

HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT TRANSCRIPTIONISTS WILL NO LONGER BE NEEDED IN THE YEAR 2013 AS PHYSICIANS WILL BE GIVEN INCENTIVES TO CARRY LAPTOPS AND ENTER ALL INFO IN? ...

Nuance Bonus For Qtr Ending In March ?
Mar 18, 2013

Did I totally misunderstand or are we being grandfathered in for the bonuses of the 1st quarter to help with adjustment to the new rating system where an error in a short report is a KILLER? ...

Are The Audits Finished For The Pay Period Ending On 3/13?
Mar 16, 2015

TY. ...

Ending Week With 100% Post Audit Score, Sm
Feb 06, 2015

AGAIN, ending week on 100%, let's see what they get me on. ...

Working For AllType Has Received Their Paycheck For The Pay Period Ending August 15th?
Sep 01, 2010

Hi.  Just wondering if anyone currently working for AllType has received their paycheck for the pay period ending August 15th?  I am still waiting on this and am worried it has been lost in the mail or something.  I'm assuming it would have been mailed on August 25th.  Is this correct?  Thanks for any help.  I'm worried, and I have a ton of bills to pay and a family. ...

Word Ending With "sthesia"
Jun 25, 2015

Vascular surgery report, aortic aneurysm repiar.   The patient tolerated this well, without "s/l fin - esthesia." ...

I Am So Sick Of Bouncing Around From Account To Account
Nov 07, 2012

What a flippin joke. Didnt Amy say she was going to keep us in 1 account????   OMG, I have done evey account in my BOB this morning as well as some other Bob. I cant keep my head on straight anymore. It is spinning like a top. My production is down to minimum and I am at risk of being fired for not meeting production because some idiot decides to open the cesspool!   GO CCMs! GET YOUR 100% TAT... SCREW THE REST OF US. ...

Don't Forget, You Will Be QA'd On Each Account, That Could Account
Jun 08, 2015

.... I read notes below to this effect. Oh, and don't forget to NOT count QC lines and scores when you calculate your QA score on FIESA.   ...or just ignore it altogether.    ...

Help Starting
Mar 05, 2010

Hello, I was interested in becoming a MT because I recently became a mom and would like to work from home. Can anyone tell me the best way to get started? Is there a class/ school you recommend? Or is there a book I can study and take a test to get certified? I am financially strapped so which would be the best for me? I currently work in the medical field in the ER as a Doctors Scribe so I have quite a bit of medical terminology. Thanks for your input!  ...

Starting Pay At MQ?
Feb 10, 2011

I just took the lengthy test for Medquist, though I found it pretty easy.   If hired, what can I expect to get paid? ...

Starting Over............
Aug 02, 2013

Has anyone found it incredibly hard to find a job outside the home after working as an IC for a long period of time.  I apply everywhere and never get a call back.  I recently lost my job  as an IC and don't want to even bother with MT work anymore.  I have been spending time online and applying everywhere.  No one wants you to apply in person anymore.  ...

I'm Really Starting To Wonder If
May 05, 2015

Nuance is any better than it's getting around here at MM?  I see they want experienced MTs rather than newbies in one of the ads, so that would sound like they'd expect to have to pay better at least.  I used to think this place was better, but not lately.  Does anyone here work for both currently, or even recently? ...

Starting The Week Off In A Bad Way...
Nov 02, 2009

Two drugs under med list:  s/l peruvian falsa and locaine 1%... ...

Starting New Accts
Jul 01, 2010

I was just wondering how hard is it to find new accounts in order to do medical transcription out of your home?  Just about anyone that I have contacted has the new EMR or they already have someone doing their transcription. ...

Starting Wage ....
Apr 27, 2010

I am considering entering into a MT program with one of the accredited schools, CareerStep.  For those that have went through the CareerStep program, can you tell me (a salary or a range) of what your starting wage is with your first employer? I am looking for responses from MT that are employees not IC.  (I need the health benefits). ...

Anyone Else At Acusis Starting To Wonder If Their
Aug 17, 2010

Are you working harder and longer, only to see your counts going down? What the h___ is going on with this place? ...

Starting At Medquist
Sep 07, 2010

I have a question.  I was hired on at Medquist and was scheduled to start back on August 23.  The radiology account I had been assigned to hadn't gone live yet.  I was then told it would be approximately the second week in September.  Still no word from my supervisor as to a start date for training.  Anyone know of another person on the radiology team I can contact about this.  I have no other names except for my supervisor's name and the name of my recrui ...

Starting Pay At Medquist
Oct 16, 2010

Boy, Medquist is really trying to get my attention! I tested w them prev. but no luck.  Now, I have recd. three voice mails and two emails to get me to retest.  I have a job already for $9.30/hr that I like.  I have read horror stories about Medquist and seasoned employees there having their pay reduced to basically minimal wage. I got taken in by DIT Transcription for 9 weeks, so I am really leery now about being lied to.  What is a good line rate to start out with them if I ...

Starting A Business
Jan 29, 2011

Hi. I am new to MT boards here but wondering about how one would start a home business. I have worked for companies as a subcontractor but wish to advertise for myself and get some work from local doctors on my own. I would likely need a mini transcriber if I have to pick up and drop off tapes, but how does one do it over the internet? Would there be a way to get it through email set up of some kind with audio wav files that they could dictate to and I access it from there and just type and emai ...

For Those Of You Starting Soon With Transcend
Dec 10, 2011

I noticed a few of us are scheduled to start around the same time, December 19, 20, and 21-ish.  For those of you who are supposed to start around that time, have any of you had your software installed yet?  I'm supposed to start on the 20th and have already sent in all my new-hire paperwork but I haven't heard from anyone since then.  I'm just curious if it's still too early to have it installed or if I'm the only one.  In case it makes a difference, ...

I'm Starting To Think I Should Go With Accentus.
Apr 19, 2012

I see they pay 7-10 for ST and 4-6 for editing.  Better than what Nuance pays.  Anyone currently working there?  ...

So, Ok, Starting A New Job And Curious To Know,
Apr 26, 2012

or just that of a few companies out on an anallimb, because after many years in the buisness, this the first time it was asked of me -- to get my IDs witnessed and notarized.  Just wondering what's up with that?  Overprotective or wave of the future?   ...

Starting DQS 7 Today
May 15, 2012

any tricks or tips that would be helpful for starting DQS 7 for the first time.  Is it an easy transition.  A lot of the keys changed.  What is the 1 most important advice you can give me.  thanks so much! ...

Tips For Those Just Starting DQS 7...smg
May 15, 2012

If you don't like those panels on the side of your text screen showing, you can drag the right and left margins of text screen to widen the text screen.  You can also drag the upper and lower margins.    You can enlarge the size of the font and change the style of the font (which only will change it on your end, not the client's end).  I am not in the program right now, but I think it is under Tools at the top, then click on the tabs to see which one has the font ...

Anybody Starting DQS7.1
Aug 18, 2012

Did the training today. Was he speaking Greek?? I don't think I'll ever remember all of that. ...

Starting My Own Business
Aug 28, 2012

I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on how to start my own business.  I am tired of working for 5 cents a line.  This is below minimum wage.  I did get in touch with Transcription Gear and they gave me a lot of insight on the equipment I would need.  I am looking for info here on what is a fair price per line or page fee and also how to market myself the right way.  Any advice would be appreciated. ...

Starting A New PT IC Position
Sep 01, 2012

I have a full time employee position wtih another company.  Beginning Sept 3, I will start IC for 3 days out of the week for 3-4 hours.  It pays 0.09 cpl with spaces using DocQscribe.  I figure in 3-4 hours  I will probably do 800 lines as I will probably work 3 hours.   Being that it is late in the year, do you think the extra income from Sept to December would make a huge difference in my taxes, or should I send taxes in to the IRS, and will I have to file as self ...