A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

When you make the move from MT to Coding - Problem Solved

Posted: Apr 11, 2015

I used to grumble, gripe, and worry about medical transcription. After I moved on to coding physically and psychologically, it's like a big heavy weight was lifted from my shoulders. It's no longer a problem.  I love coding!  In fact, I wish I had started coding at the very beginning of my work life, but it's never too late to get started, as I finally learned. Sometimes you just have to take action to get the results you want.

MT to Coding - CB

[ In Reply To ..]
How did you go about making the change and are you coding with ICD 10 yet:

Difference in income and respect is like night and day - Former MT who loves Coding

[ In Reply To ..]
I know dozens of former MTs and nurses too, now coders, that would agree with me that the difference in how coders are respected vs. how MTs are treated is like night and day.

My advice is: Don't take shortcuts in training. If you do, you won't get very far.

Yes. Learn ICD-10 and then get certified in CPC and CCS as soon as you can.

Negatives: You have to study hard. Even the anatomy required in ICD-10 is more than I ever used as an MT. The tests from AAPC and AHIMA are not easy. That's why many current coders haven't passed them, but from what I've personally seen it's getting harder to get a job without certification, so any time those coders leave, they are more often being replaced by a credentialed coder. One friend of mine got a job with the understanding that she would have to pass the certification test within 6 months to keep her job. She is a good coder though, so she didn't have a problem with that.

Positives: The money is better than MT ever was, even when MTs were treated fairly. It's also less physically demanding. It's a growing field that respects hard work and credentials.

Good luck if you decide to do it.

Making the switch from MT to coding - How I got started coding

[ In Reply To ..]
First I was asked to do a little coding in a doctor's office in addition to transcription. That wasn't real coding. Then I took a short course that didn't use books. It had lots of errors and no instructors to explain why something was right or wrong. I gave up on that course.

Starting over again with training, I learned from books and qualified instructors. That made all the difference in the world.

Question - Just wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
Why isn't this thread on the coding board instead of the main board?
Maybe because it's about MTs making career decisions - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Interesting conundrum. - So
[ In Reply To ..]
if coding can never be mentioned on the MT board, even in the context of transitioning from MT, then it follows that MT could never be mentioned on the coding board, even in the context of transitioning from MT.

If that is, indeed, the case, where do you suggest people with questions about transitioning from MT to coding post their questions? Would there need to be a special board for those people? And at what point in the conversation about transitioning from MT to coding would it no longer be appropriate to use that board?
Conundrum - Question
[ In Reply To ..]
I have opened a can of worms by asking a simple, straightforward question. Usually the moderator moves threads like this so I was just wondering how it ended up here. Try not to spend too much time solving this. There's a board for new MTs, maybe there needs to be a board for students and new coders.
That was where the OP posted it. - See? It was moved.
[ In Reply To ..]
I expected it would be moved, but it sometimes takes a day or two. Now it has been moved. All is right with the world. �

How I did it - MT2Coder2

[ In Reply To ..]
I was taking a course when a job came up at my hospital. I applied for it even though I was not credentialed yet, and got it because the course I was taking seemed impressive to the HIM director. I got the CPC a few months later, and the CCS.

ICD-10 does not take effect until October 1, 2015, so no one is really working in it yet. However, I have been training coders and providers in it for several years. We are preparing for it and our coders are dual coding some of their cases to get into practice. We are doing some other things, too, like converting chargemasters and superbills, pharmacy, and any other area that uses those codes.

The course you took... - Mino

[ In Reply To ..]
Please, let me know which course you took that impressed the director when you applied for that first coding job. Pls email me if you don't want to post it.
Nobody should be afraid to post the name of their course or school - Please Do Post It
[ In Reply To ..]
There is no reason why the poster shouldn't post the name of the course or school. Any successful course or school will be attacked, but we're adults. We can see through that when it happens. I'd love to know the name of the course too.
OK, but you asked for it. - Running for the door ...
[ In Reply To ..]
Andrews.
No surprise. Tough course, hard work, good results - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It's well known that it's a tough course. Nobody graduates from it without some hard work and serious motivation. Good for you!
running for door right behind you! - MT2coderalso
[ In Reply To ..]
Andrews, and I got hired before getting my certifications (but had to get it within 6 months). I told them what was covered in my school and took their test and aced it.

We have been attacked for talking about Andrews on this board, if you are wondering.
Results like that are why the course is highly recommended - No attack from here
[ In Reply To ..]
Results speak for themselves. Anyone who has been here long knows what you are talking about. People need to hear the success stories anyway, not just from one school but from the different schools. There are a lot of success stories like yours.
You still do not get it - Not afraid
[ In Reply To ..]
Successful courses and schools are not attacked, it was the fact that it was the same one over and over and over again. People came on and started doing their cheerleading for what seemed like no reason. That is why some people came down hard on the Andrews group. We all know by now that the only successful people are the ones who attend Andrews, so it just goes without saying.
See? There's the attack . . . - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
See? There's the attack. "Successful courses and schools are not attacked, it was the fact that it was the same one over an dover and over again. People came on and started doing their cheerleading for what seemed like no reason."

So, from that, it appears that what you're saying is that it isn't the SCHOOL that's the problem, nor its SUCCESSFULNESS, but the fact that SO MANY OF US went there.

"Successful courses and schools are not attacked" . . . just that one successful school. Hmm.

We've explained this before, ad infinitum, but to no avail. This person has a bug in their bonnet about Andrews for some reason. They flunked out, or they chose something else and then couldn't get a job, or they thought it cost too much, or whatever it was, but they have an issue with Andrews. And now that they have it, they derail every thread in which Andrews is mentioned.

The reason so many people here talk about Andrews is that SO MANY OF US HERE WENT THERE.

Why did so many of us go there? Well, because so many of us did MT there, too. And because so many of us know their good reputation from their MT program. We assumed they would also be good for coding.

Why aren't there a lot of people here from other schools? I have no idea, but there just aren't. The only ones are a few from Career Step who don't recommend it and some who took an AAPC course. Some got jobs and some didn't. There have also been some who said they were taking the AHIMA online course, or a college course, but we pretty much never heard from them again.

You hear a lot about Andrews because they are pretty much the only flippin' working coders here. And, yes, most of us are former MTs, so it makes sense.

As for the "cheerleading" starting up "for what seemed like no reason," that's just nonsense. There WAS a reason. Over and over and over again, the REASON was that people were ASKING for recommendations or personal experiences.

If it seems like it happens "over and over and over again," it is because PEOPLE ASK OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Get off my back about Andrews, "not afraid," and stop bullying me by saying things like "the only successful people are the ones who attend Andrews." For what it's worth, I would have been successful at this if chimpanzees had thrown a book at me from a tree. I'm successful today because I continue to learn on my own. However, I chose Andrews and am happy to recommend them because I think they have a good program.

And, yes, I am the one who makes more than 70K a year. That is what Andrews did for me. Grouse about that, why don't you?

curiousandhopeful - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
You said you are making $70k a year as a coder?? How long has it taken to get there? I am hoping to start Andrews this summer and after 14 years of being an MT, making currently minimum wage working 40 hours a week, stressed to the max, I am looking for a ray of hope....a job that I can be proud of again and enjoy and actually make a decent living at....
Not her, but coders starting out start at about $18 or so - Some a little more
[ In Reply To ..]
The OP will probably be back to answer your question, but I'll tell you everything I know about it. Maybe others will add to it.

It depends on what credentials you have, CPC and CCS or one and not the other, and how hard you work looking. The quotes I'm hearing are in a range from $18-$21 or so for the first year. Raises and promotions happen in medical coding, but it will still take time as with any career.
Salary surveys - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Both AHIMA and AAPC do annual salary surveys. There is a link to the AHIMA one a little way down this page. The AAPC survey is linked to this post.

Both are very accurate.
Issue with Andrews - Yes I do
[ In Reply To ..]
They obviuosly teach their students nothing about humility. We all got it months ago but you won't give it a rest. I hated coding. I didn't go to Andrews but there are several reasons why I didn't follow that career path. You remind me of sales people standing on street corners. One person gets the ball rolling and then the rest of you chime in. It's fine to mention it but when it is over and over and over and over something about it doesn't ring true especially when no one else ever comes forward and shares. Most people don't need to gloat about their successes. I'm sorry, but it makes me angry. By the way, no one makes 70k out of the gate, those are upper level management and auditor salaries. If anyone ever reaches that level, it will take years or advanced degrees and multiple certifications. The least you could do is tell people the truth.
OK, here is the truth - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The truth is that the average annual salary of AAPC members is (rounded) 51k. It varies around the country, from a low of 48 around the Great Lakes, to 59 in the Pacific West and Northwest. The average for large facilities (54) was higher than large group practices, and small practices came in last, as you would expect. In facilities, inpatient coders (57) make the most. That will, of course, vary around the country, with west coast being higher, etc. (That is why we encourage getting inpatient coding training and the CCS.)

Look at the numbers ... 70k is not top of the line. Many coders make that much. Certain specialties, like interventional, have for several years paid in that range. Trainers and educators are making an average of 76, probably due to the ICD10 frenzy.

Yes, experience does pay more, as is the case in any field. New coders with less than a year of experience make around 35k.

The fact that salary goes up with experience and credentials is not a bad thing. You can, after all, GET those credentials. You can, in coding, WORK your way up.

No field pays top dollar right out of the gate, and that includes career-changers. That is a reality of life.

Still, the possibility of earning 35k, often with good benefits, after just a 4-month part-time course costing less than 2k is REMARKABLE.

To me, that is preferable to minimum wage at fast food places and Wal-Mart.

Click the link below for another version of the AAPC survey.
Right, "humility" was not part of the curriculum. - Letting Linda know ...
[ In Reply To ..]
Humility was not part of the curriculum, but that is not surprising considering that it isn't a 1950s-era convent.

"Confidence" and "competence" were on the menu, though.
This is a coding board where people come - and ask
[ In Reply To ..]
about coding. They ask where we learned to code. We would like to see people succeed and are excited to be able to share our success with people looking for these stories. I don't understand why someone would come to a coding board who "didn't follow that career path" and complain about coders talking about coding and their coding education. Does not make sense. Many of us came from transcription and we are in the Andrews camp.
it is particularly odd when that person admits - they "hated coding."
[ In Reply To ..]
If someone hates something, why would they come to a forum for it? That doesn't make sense to me, either. It just sounds like sour grapes.

local community college - Hopeful
[ In Reply To ..]
My first class was ICD-9/ICD-10, and 2nd was CPT coding. I took both at a local community college. They were night classes. God opened those doors for me since Transcription is fading.

What course was it that impressed your HIM director? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Would like to see more about how everyone got their training - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
trying coding - Hopeful
[ In Reply To ..]
An open door came for me with coding when there was a flyer posted about a class at a hospital I worked at. I took that and now in my 2nd class. Hoping I can get a job that pays good after it's over in 5 weeks.

I'm doing the same - Hopeful

[ In Reply To ..]
Hey, that's great you went into coding. My transcription job at the hospital was outsourced and I'm taking coding now. There is a coding job opening at my former hospital and hopeful I'll get it. I'm not credentialed except with an RHIT but maybe some day I will get CPC or CCS. Thanks for the encouragement. I hope I get the job. Most want experience and I've got to start somewhere
Credentials - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Good for you! If you have the RHIT, a hospital should consider that enough. With your refresher courses in coding, you actually should have enough to do well on the job.

Do you have an idea of what the hospital will want in terms of a coding credential?

Similar Messages:

Ready To Make A Move To A Company With Medical Benefits. SM
Sep 04, 2012

I have been a medical transcriptionist for 25 years now.  I started young right out of high school and during college, and have been in this profession ever since.  I have always had my own physician clients or worked for small or local transcription services.  I need to make a move soon to a company who offers decent pay and healthcare benefits, as my husband can retire in a few years and I need my own insurance.   I'm younger than my husband, so at age 47 I still have ...

Cannot Move On From MT'ing!!
Sep 17, 2010

After finally completing my Bachelor's degree in Liberal Arts/Sociology last May, I really thought I'd be able to find a new job, outside of this house, making more money!!  I've applied to just about everything I'm remotely qualified for.  I've posted this before, but has anyone moved on successfully to something else or have any suggestions?!  It's so frustrating after spending so much money to finish school that I can't find something else. By ...

S/.l Can Or Ken's Move
Nov 18, 2011

this is really muffled but this is the best I could make out that it sounds like Ken or can smooth test. Lumbar testing: positive straight leg raise, positive hyperextension test, positive joint compression, and a positive "Ken's move."   SI joint dysfunction ...

How To Move From MLS To QA
Jul 10, 2013

How does an MLS move to a QA position within the company? I have zero QA experience.  Please keep in mind my TSM is absolutely worthless and apparently doesn't know how to respond to emails, no matter how many I send, so I'd like to know who else I can contact.  If I can't move to QA, I'm going to have to find another employer because I can't work with this woman anymore.   I've been trying to see past the strict rules and this FIESA nonsense (no ...

Possible Move
Oct 30, 2014

Hi :-), I am wondering if there are any Northwest Wisconsin MTs on this website.  In the next two years or so we will be making a move to that area (Siren, Webster, Grantsburg, Frederic, Danbury), and I am wondering if any of the local hospitals have in-house transcription positions.  I know I have plenty of time, but I am just curious.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you :-) ...

Is It Time To Move On
Sep 17, 2010

I have been a stay at home MT for 4 years mostly working in heme/onc and rad onc.  We have a new manager.  I kept running out of work which I found hard to believe.  She kept putting me on more and more accounts (two of which she knew I hated and did not want to be on).  I now have 6.  I can no longer make the minimum line count for FT.  I have to work 14-16 to get to the min FT line count.   I asked for a change.  No one returns my calls or e-mails.& ...

If You Hate It So Much, Move On!
Mar 19, 2012

So many lousy attitudes, so little time.  If you really think this company is just BS, go somewhere else.  We've all been through the pay cuts and ebb and flow of work, but some of us still hold fast to the belief that things can get better.  Instead of mocking and insulting the attempt by new management to change and improve things, join the rally for brighter days ahead.  Maybe the glass is half full afterall.  Bad attitudes are a disease.  If you don't ...

Move To India
Oct 14, 2012

CNBC India report on MT industry. ...

Has Anyone Asked Their TSM To Move Them To Another BOB?
Feb 23, 2014

How did this go ... did your TSM take it personally or is it strictly business?  My BOB is constantly, constantly out of work.  If I stay put in this BOB I will go under, but I also don't want to target myself or get in the radar as being disloyal or a "ship-jumper".  Can anyone share their experience with this, and how the conversation went down with their TSM?  ...

....another Reason To Move On From MT/ME
Mar 18, 2014

I found this VERY INTERESTING, and since nobody has brought this up on the boards, thought I'd "share"...I saw a job posting on a job seeker's board that had the audacity to offer .... 0.02 cents per TEMPLATED RPT....WELL, JUST FRIGGIN FANTASTIC...another way to SCREW w/our pay...REALLY?????????   ...

Let's All Move To Seattle!
Jun 03, 2014

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  Minimum wage is going up to $15/hour.  Wonder what MTs would be paid there!  They can't pay you any less I wouldn't think. ...

How To Set An Autocorrect To Move Backwards?
Sep 15, 2011

Do anyone know the code (or whatever it's called) in MS Word 2007 Autocorrect to move something backwards? Specifically, I'm trying to move "-year-old" backwards so that I just type the age and then my autocorrect "yo" and it moves it backwards against the number. I know I've seen this somewhere, but I've googled it and can't find it anywhere. TIA soooooooooooooooooo much! :) ...

MT Hoping To Move To RN Position
Mar 05, 2013

I am currently a full-time MT.  I am hoping to get out of the field completely soon.  I have an RN license, I put nursing on hold to raise my kids and enjoyed doing MT while they were little.  Now money is extremely tight and I know I can make much more doing nursing.  However, I am terrified of going back.  I have done the same thing now for 15 years, and it is SOOOO hard for me to change!  Can anyone who has gone through this give any suggestions of how to get bac ...

Nice Move, They Did Their Homework.
Jan 22, 2015

ARH employees are kicking up a fuss and they have their Union involved.  They also do not seem to believe the company's usual propiganda.   We should have had a union for years.  The link to the article is below.  I really hope their union is able to help (and possibly bring MM to their knees).  I would like to see at least some reckoning here.  Karma, you gotta love it. There seems to a problem with the link showing up, not sure why, so here is the artic ...

Its No Big Deal To Move Your Schedules Again!
Jun 06, 2015

If the bulk of our work is nights and weekends, why arent our lovely HDSAs and TSAs working the same damn hours?  I dont care about their families or if they have to work two jobs and cant keep changing their hours (oh wait, they get a living wage and dont work 2 jobs).  I have changed my hours 3 times in the past 8 months.  What happened to all the new hires?  What, gave them 9-5 also?     Dont they know they are chasing their own damn tails?  Moving our hou ...

I Received A Call To Move To Georgia
Jun 09, 2010

New company opening up and wanted to know if I would transfer to be an in house supervisor:) Nice offer but I love California too much, so maybe I will just work for them from home. ...

Who Has Made The Move From MT To Transcription Lead?
Sep 12, 2012

I have worked exclusively from a home office for 8 years as an MT. I've worked with many different platforms, straight transcription, editing, VR, training new MTs in on accounts, etc. A hospital in our area has a listing posted for Transcription Lead (in house). Who has made the change from MT to Lead and is willing to share about the transition? ...

Move From Working At Home To The Outside World
Dec 18, 2013

Has anyone who worked from home and now works outside had trouble adjusting? I'm working outside again after being MT from home and I'm still in adjustment mode. Currently I work in a medical office (not an MT). It's nice to be able to move around after having sit at a computer all day, but there are times I just wish I sat at a computer instead of up and down and around the office. I liked having less people contact when I worked from home, less drama, and especially less off ...

Enterprise Platform Move Questions
Mar 09, 2015

Hey guys, I work on Enterprise, and I see a lot of talk about accounts moving from Enterprise to Escription and Editscript? I work on 3 accounts at the moment, and they are all on Enterprise. Does anyone know if ALL of the Enterprise acccounts are being moved to a different platform eventually or what? I have not heard any mention of this for my accounts, but I am just wondering if anyone has any info on this.   Thanks! ...

EditScript - How Do I Move Word 2003 Normal.dot
Nov 02, 2009

How do I move Word 2003 normal.dot (AutoText) and MSO1033.acl (AutoCorrect) to different computer, which now has newly loaded Word 2003 and EditScript8?  I have got the files moved to the desktop of the new computer.  Can normal.dot be called something else? I found an MSO.acl file, but not sure if this is the one I replace.  Any tips? This website is truy wonderful.  Thanks to JOb Seeker's Board, I got a 2nd job!      ...

Move Hours To Nights And Weekends Or I Will Be Forced
Aug 21, 2010

Isn't that a kicker?   WHERE IS MY WORK?????   Does anyone know how to manage a workload?  My CCM obviously needs help!  Six months ago, it was "We need Monday hours... move them or else." Four months ago, it was "We need Friday hours... move them or else." Three months ago, it was "We need Saturday evening hours... move them or else." One month ago, it was "I have no Sunday coverage... move hours or else." This month it is "We do not need Monday hours, move ...

Want Work From Nuance With Bonuses? Move To India.
Nov 11, 2012

Check out the bonuses for employees in India. My thought is the big N is making a move to transport as many MT jobs to India as possible (low work volumes) and employees in US are getting what is left behind. Home-based employees in India send reports to QA or Editor. If it goes to Editor, Bingo, maybe that's your job, correcting what someone in a foreign market cannot possibly understand. Makes perfect sense for Nuance. Maybe Obama will stick it to them with taxes for exporting our jobs so ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Smartype Line Will Not Move With The Page So When I Get To The Bottom Of The Page
Mar 09, 2011

I have a question about Smartype and I will try to make it so it is understandable:)  I bought Instant Text because I had to have some way of moving my Smartype over into Word 2007 (I had Word 2002).  I have Instant Text turned off until I learn the new platform on the new company I am with.  My problem is this, the Smartype line will not move with the page so when I get to the bottom of the page it covers up everything at the bottom and I can only manually move Smartype by scrolling back up ...

Anyone Who Doesn't Have Work Ask To Move To North, North Is Swamped
Oct 19, 2013

If your bob never has work, ask to move to the north. We even got an e mail from the head of work routing, stating they need everyone to work.  That never happens.  If you need work and are constantly out, ask to move. ...

Worried About Being Able To Even Make What I Used To Make Doing
Apr 11, 2011

I seem to be spending an awful lot of time in VR documents, so I am confused as to why I am getting paid less for them.  This stupid VR system types whatever it thinks it might be hearing and sometimes doesn't type anything at all.  I hate this VR.  I am up to 1800 lines but usually do 2200-2500 a day on straight transcription.  I don't know how I am going to feed my children.  I am a single mom and the head of household.  Believe me the child support isn& ...

Certification In Coding Or AA Degree In Coding??
May 11, 2010

Is there really such a thing as an AA degree in coding?  Sounds odd to me.  Health administration or management, or RHIT I can see, but coding? Is it not better to just become Certified even if you dont have an AA degree? ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

Coding :: Thinking About Changing From MT To Coding
Oct 07, 2013

I am thinking about changing from MT to coding.  Are there many opportunities to work from home with coding?  What would be a good school to attend? Thank you for the help. ...

Do I Need To Take An Actual Coding Course To Learn Coding?
Feb 26, 2014

My sister is taking an online coding course and complains that there is no real "teaching," that she's basically just doing the work in the work book and entering answers online, then taking an online chapter test.  This makes me wonder about the necessity of signing up for an actual course.  I would like to learn how to code, but to me, without any actual instruction, what's the purpose of signing up for one of these online courses? ...