A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

25+ years medical transcriptionist considering - Faith

Posted: Apr 29, 2013

Hello:  I am 58 years old and have been doing medical transcription for 25+ years.  The group I transcribe for online is transitioning over to total EMR, thus will be leaving me without a job in the not too distant future.  I don't do Acute care, so there are next to no opportunities for other transcription jobs.  There are no jobs to be had in my very, very small town (including the 25-bed hospital) so I'm considering going with online classes for training and certification as a coder.  My question is, at my age is it worth the time and money to go this route?   I would really appreciate feedback from those of you who are coders on  whether making this move is a wise decsion.  If it isn't, do you any other suggestions.  I'm just about starting to panic.  

Answer - Last time for this

[ In Reply To ..]
Coding is a great field . . . it has been really good to me. Salaries are excellent and there is room for both advancement and lateral moves.

However, the "at home" market for coders is limited. Reputable contract coding companies are focused on the health information management side of things, offer overflow coding and audit services. They are highly selective, requiring coding credentials (CCS, CPC) and often prefer those with the RHIA and RHIT because their clients require it. If there are any companies offering quick and dirty coding like they currently offer transcription, you don't want to work for them because you will be treated just as MTs are treated now. In other words, do not go into coding expecting a work-at-your-whim jammies job.

That aside, facility employers are allowing coders to work from home, but require experience and reliability. With the recent move of some tech firms bringing remote employees back in house, I have seen a pullback from employers, who are waiting to see.

To succeed in coding, you are going to need good preparation and credentials. There is a 25% unemployment rate among those holding "apprentice" AAPC credentials, reflecting their limited preparation. Their course is very short. The market for them is best in physician services coding, like offices and clinics. How many doctors work in your community?

Coders with credentials from both AHIMA (CCS, CCS-P) and AAPC do better. However, there are now eligibility restrictions on AHIMA credentials. See their website.

Your main problem is going to be availability of jobs. ARE there coding jobs in your town? If not, and if you won't move, would it make sense to go into coding?

You also need to consider that you will start over in coding. While your MT background will help you in coding, both learning it and doing it, outpatien
There are already at least 2 new coders here who live in the boonies and can't find jobs.

You will need to start at the bottom in coding, same as if you went into accounting or nursing. Your MT background will help you in coding, but do not expect employers to fall all over themselves because of it. It will help YOU, not them. We hear "Does my 30 years of experience in MT count for nothing" about once a week here.

I would suggest that you determine what jobs are available in your area and work from there.

If you enjoy medical care, you might want to take any job at that hospital. See if you can work into medical records. Any job will usually enable you to move into others.

Please remember, too, that jobs in small towns pay less than urban areas. Coders in Podunk are not paid like coders in Boston.

Another thought relates to what you said about having no acute care experience. Why can't you learn that? If you truly must stay where you are and work from home, perhaps that would be an option.

You are also going to find that employers are wary of at-home workers, not being sure of what you are or if you can work with anyone. You will need to deal with that, so start thinking about how. Unemployed people have more trouble than employed in finding jobs, too. Get your new job . . . ANY new job before you get laid off. Do not wait. Do the new job part time or something, but get one.

Networking helps. The nearest local chapter of the AAPC can be a good resource. Find them on the AAPC website. Their members know about jobs in coding and elsewhere.

Read the posts below and the archives. Your question has been asked here quite often. You should find something useful there.

Coding tthoughts - Me too

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't read anything about you wanting to work from home, I'm not sure where the person who responded picked that up. I am your age and took a coding course at 56. I was forced out of my MT job a few months ago when my facility outsourced all the transcription. We have a full EMR in place and still had work, but it was a financial decision. I have my certification and have not yet been able to find a coding job but I keep looking. I'm also in a rural location, although our facilities (2 of them) are larger than yours. It's difficult to break into coding without experience regardless of where a person lives. I do have a job in medical records (health information), though. My thought on the 32-bed facility is that perhaps being a coder in a small place, that they may have more time to work with you and easier for you to move up if you keep your foot in the door. Ask about clerical jobs at your facility, maybe in billing or scheduling or medical records, something that would keep you employed while you study coding, should you choose to do that. Our EMR system opened up some new positions for us, so there is a chance that you could be involved. You could learn acute care transcription, but really it's just a matter of doing it and learning the vocabulary if you are already an MT. Again, getting hired without experience might be a problem. In my opinion, your best chance would be to try and stay at your present facility. Don't just take ANY job. As someone who was laid off, I can say that it takes time to figure things out and you don't want to jump into the first thing only to regret it later. Another suggestion would be to meet with a guidance counselor at Work Source or Skill Source if your community has that. They offer classes that permit people to upgrade their office skills and also have programs available for displaced workers such as MTs. Good luck in your decision and best wishes.

25+ years medical transcriptionist considering - Faith

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the answers so far. I'm sorry, I couldn't find previous posts like mine or I wouldn't have asked my question. I am only considering working in an office/hospital as I need the insurance. I don't think I mentioned wanting to work at home. I've worked in offices even before my MT career so I have people skills. I have tried my small local hospital and there are no openings - none. They only have 3 people in medical records and one of those is a temporary position. None of clinics have openings either. The women who work there will retire there. As far as moving my husband is retired and is totally open to moving. I absolutely want to move to a larger town - much larger for many reasons including so my options for employment after getting the education and certification would be greatly enhanced. However, if we do move, I need the job to pay better than minimum wage. I have researched careers in the "behind the scenes" in medicine that would pay well and be relatively short and easy to transition to. The main one I could find is coding. My question is if I got the training and certification as a coder, would it be possible to be successful in starting this new career this late in life. Is there anyone else who has done this and been successful? Was it worth the time, effort, and investment? Honestly, I'm burned out on transcription, sitting sometimes for 15 hours a day just to get what little work I have to compete with others for. Thanks!
Please be aware that it's very hard getting that first - coding job
[ In Reply To ..]
I've been looking for almost a year and have yet to land a coding job. I live near Boston, tons of health care facilities here, and I am certified. Everyone wants the 2 years of experience. I've even applied to entry level HIM jobs with no luck.
It is hard to get any job -- even nurses and lawyers - cannot get jobs
[ In Reply To ..]
Everyone paints this to be a coding problem, but it isn't. It is an any-job problem. The job market now is awful. Before, there was never a time when all applicants got jobs. Not in any field.

75 % of newly certified CPCs get jobs. That is remarkably better than other fields.

Wondering why 3 people would "dislike" this post. - It is a statement of fact.
[ In Reply To ..]
What do you dislike about that post?

It states facts. Nobody made that up.

The job market IS terrible in all fields right now, not only for coders. Coding, in fact is doing better than many other fields.

The unemployment rate for newly, certified coders holding the CPC-A, CPC-H-A, or CPC-P-A is 25%. That means 75% of them are employed.

How can you "dislike" a statement of fact? Seems to me it provides some objectivity. Or are you just unhappy that someone dared to contradict your own gloomy take on things?
Faith - Me too
[ In Reply To ..]
I got a little confused on the size of your hospital, I don't know how I came up with an additional 7 beds, lol! One thing to consider: You will probably spend a year or more completing a coding program, then will need to sit for one of the certification exams, so consider the age you will be when you reenter the job market and ask yourself how many more years you want to work, that may help you decide if coding is worth it to you. Even new coders are paid more than minimum wage, but as another person said you will be working your way back up the career ladder, just as you would with any new occupation. No one can predict whether you find a coding job, but most employers do have an experience requirement. Then again, you might be luckier than some. If you found a job, you would be successful. In retirement, once you got some experience, you might also be able to consult part-time. Working as a temp is also an option in the larger cities. I am probably adding to the confusion, but really it is your decision; only you know what is right for you.
Experience - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You make some good points. I just want to point out that there is no field in which employers prefer inexperienced applicants. None. Not even the burger industry.

Yet, every coder working today got that first job without experience.

I became suspicious of coding's future viability - once M*Modal got involved in it.

[ In Reply To ..]
So for now, I'm still waiting and watching on that field, and concurrently looking into others that take less time and money to get into, and which might last longer.

If that is all you could grasp of this field, you made a - wise decision. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Nm
And if you don't grasp the gravity of your field - being involved with M*M, well, good luck.
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm actually grasping my third Diet Pepsi. - Tired student
[ In Reply To ..]
"Grasping the gravity of my field" is a bit much. Great use of alliteration, though. I can always tell when you post because of your particular way of turning a phrase. :)

My decision to learn how to code does not doom me to death. Now that the MM hysterical doomsday turd has been thrown in the pool we now get back to the usual:

"Am I too old to code?" No. You are an awesome silver (?) fox MT. Go kill it.

"I can't find a coding position, I don't want advice, and leave me alone you haters! I hate coders and coding!" (flounces off) OK. Bye!

"Is it true that coding is going to be outsourced?" Partially, but you can still find a great job with the right resume. Look in the archives.

Am I missing any of the regular questions? Hopefully someone else is smiling, because I'm trying to be funny.
What a wonderful post! - Baby Ruth
[ In Reply To ..]
I am so glad I checked this thread this morning! Now I have a vision of the Baby Ruth scene in Caddyshack. Very apt, yes.

That was so good I sent myself a copy of it by email. If your post disappears for any reason, I'll have it.

The dootu! Perfect!

25+ years medical transcriptionist considering - Cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
First, I think you very well may be able to get a transcription job working from home. I know you don't have hospital experience, but you might want to brush up on your medical terminology and do some self-study about the basic 4. You may have more skills than you thought you had. Then, apply for every MT job you see. Be prepared to take a test. There are many resources on the Internet. If you have a good ear, you may be able to pull it off. Typing op reports is difficulty without experience, but a discharge summary, consult, and H&P are pretty standard. Second, if you have been in the work world for a long time, you probably have skills you didn't even know you had. Read a book like *What Color Is Your Parachute* that will help you figure out what you're good at. Also, your present employer may have a job for you. Every office I have know that has transitioned to EMR ends up needing more in-office help. Who better than you? Thirdly, if you have a hobby or avocation that interests you, consider leveraging that into a profit-making small business. Midlife career changes are scary, but more often than not they lead to wonderful adventures. Fourthly, if you have a technical college nearby, they can generally train you for a new career in short order. They also will be able to tell you which careers need workers. One such job is optical technician (makes eyeglasses, etc.). Many times tech jobs are really neat jobs that we may not have ever thought of. I think if you're passionate about coding, go for it. My take is it's hard to break into. Also, it's a lot of study unless, as I said, you're really passionate about it. Hope this helps. Please know you're far from alone. This has been a hard few years for many hard working Americans.

Just my 2 cents - WWW

[ In Reply To ..]
Have you been told that your job is being eliminated? When you say the company is transitioning to total EMR, does that mean that the doctors are entering and editing their own dictation? I suppose with a hospital as small as yours they could do that, but we have transitioned to EMR and we still very much need editors. Mind you, less, but we still have transcriptionists.

I agree with the poster who says that you might be able to do acute care better than you think -- surgeries would be difficult. There still seem to be some outside companies who are hiring transcriptionists -- you could try that route.

To determine if it is worth your time and money, you need to find out the salary of a coder in your area, the cost of your schooling and if you can earn that in a reasonable amount of time. The salary for coders in my area is just okay. I have heard a lot of coders having trouble finding jobs -- I know I had trouble finding a job as a transcriptionist, so I suppose it is difficult everywhere, for every job, except maybe nursing.

My opinion would be -- if you don't really have a desire to learn coding and are just looking for something to do until you retire -- I wouldn't do it. It is going to be difficult, time consuming and costly. Instead, I would perhaps talk to a counselor and see if there is something you REALLY want to do and go for that. You may or may not get hired anyway -- there is always that element of risk. You may as well do something that makes you happy.

As far as the poster below me talking about "down and dirty transcription" and transcription being a work whenever you want "jammies job" -- please. I've done transcription for 20 years and that has never been my reality. We are all highly trained professionals. Our job is never the same twice. Our work requires a specialized skill that some people can only dream of.

What that post said - MT2Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
You seem to have a remarkable ability to half-read things and leap to conclusions. That post did not say "down and dirty transcription." It said "quick and dirty coding" in reference to companies, i.e., the same companies vilified in reams of posts on this board. I don't see that it slandered MTs, either, but you sure managed to get in an insult about the person who wrote it. I am not sure how you can be so certain he or she had not been an MT.

I read what it said - WWW

[ In Reply To ..]
It said there is no "quick and dirty coding" like there is with transcription. It doesn't take a huge leap to infer what that says about transcription and the quality of their work.

I am not sure at all that they were not once a transcriptionist. I am sure that they seem to try to insult everyone who asks a question.
Where did my post insult anyone? - WWW
[ In Reply To ..]
If it did, I'm sincerely sorry. Transcription DOES take a specialized skill -- as does coding. They are both valuable.
The "leap to infer" is the problem. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You see drama, insult, and turmoil where none was intended. You usually do so by twisting things around until youcan justify being outraged.

That post was talking about some companies, not about MTs.
Wow -- you give me credit for a lot more emotion than I feel. - WWW
[ In Reply To ..]
I do not see drama and turmoil. I feel no outrage. I did, however, think that telling someone that coding is not a "jammies-type job" and talking about dirty transcription, is condescending to all professional transcriptionists, and I called the poster out on it. In reflection, it still seems condescending to me, and largely untrue. I would think you would appreciate some constructive criticism instead of saying that I am twisting things around. Judging by the people who liked my posts, I would say that I'm not the only one who felt it was condescending.
I agree with you - Me too
[ In Reply To ..]
As an MT of many years, trained coder and now a transcription QA coordinator, I also had issues with that post and am glad you said something. As an MT, I never worked at home and I never "worked in my jammies." I was, and still am, treated as a professional by my employer and compensated well for my skills and knowledge. The assumption was made that the OP was only seeking a job that she could do "at home in her jammies" which was not the case. I would bet money that coders who work at home wear causal attire; I can't see them dressing to the nines to work at home, perhaps they even wear their "jammies" when they work. I think quite a few MTs who take their work seriously did not appreciate the tone of that post. I also found it condescending.
I disagree with you - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
If you never worked for an MTSO, you really are stretching the assumption too far. You seem to be taking what www said was meant rather than what that post said.

It looks to me like that post was making an underhanded dig at the MTSOs who think they can crank out coding like their SR junk and at matchbox schools that advertise mommies-in-jammies employment. If you are in neither category, then it did not apply to you and you got sucked into the drama game unnecessarily.

The OP does not appear to be looking for that, either. I think the post was just pointing out that coding was not like that in order to head off the kind of posts that say don't bother going into coding because the MTSOs are ruining it just like they did MT.

It doesn't really matter what the coders say, you know. There are some MTs here who find fault with it no matter what. The basis for that is often their belief that the coders don't know what MT really is -- and can't do it -- when most of them had been MTs.

Similar Messages:

A Medical Transcriptionist Of 10 Years Lost Her Job Today
May 17, 2011

Dear Fellow Transcriptionists: I just want to vent and tell you what happened to me today.  I lost my job today because I got a 97.9 on my quality review, which was done on my work in about 3 years. I was working as an independent contractor and I was told that I was being terminated and when I asked if I could be put on another account, they said they were not hiring employees just independent contractors, no employees. I am so upset. I have been a transcriptionist for 10 years this ...

What Would Be A Reasonable Hourly Wage For A Medical Transcriptionist Of 12.5 Years?
Nov 30, 2012

Hi: I have worked for the same hospital for 12.5 years, so there is a lot of loyalty there. I live in a southern state in the USA. I get paid an hourly pay plus $0.47 incentive for anything over 90 minutes. My hourly pay to me is low, but not below $10.00 an hour. Is 20.00 per hour appropriate or am I wrong? Thanks in advance for the advice. PS: I am not here for a debate just want to know what is a good hourly pay for 12.5 years. Thanks, Mel ...

Been A Transcriptionist For Over 10 Years
Nov 13, 2013

I have been a transcriptionist for over 10 years and I recently started a job for a small transcription company that requires 100% accuracy for all reports.  I continually get flagged with emails saying, "Please find the punctuation mistake and apply back with why" These are most always just one or two comma mistakes in the whole report.  Do all of you turn in reports with absolutely no comma or semicolon mistakes at all or am I just an inadequate transcriptionist?  Frustrated. ...

Going Digital - Transcriptionist For 17 Years
Dec 02, 2012

I have been a transcriptionist for 17 years.  I am currently working for a hospital FT and an orthopedic surgeon PT.  My private practice account is finally making the switch to going digital from microcassettes. I have been researching transcription/dictation options and quite frankly my head is spinning.  I am not certain what my/our best options are regarding foot pedal, voice recording with encryption capabilities and/or FSP site.  This particular physician has been resistant to ch ...

Been Transcriptionist 20 Years But New At IC Work, Need Advice
Sep 03, 2014

Hello Everyone: I have been a Medical transcriptionist for approximately 20 years, but I am brand new at any contract work and need some sound advice. I have always worked for a doctor's office or hospital, so they have always supplied me with equipment, programs, etc. I have decided to go this route as I need a more flexible schedule, but I have never worked where I have been paid by the line, so pretty clueless about it, even in the sense of what is good pay.  I have appli ...

From Medical Transcriptionist To Medical Coordinator
May 19, 2011

Where can I get information about transitioning from a medical transcriptionist to a medical coordinator? ...

New Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 16, 2013

I am trying to find a good training program.  I have looked into career step and then a local training program at a technical program here in Denver.  The Denver program has an internship as part of the course but is not ahdi approved.  It is a 17 month program and looks thorough but I don't know how big the ahdi approval is.  I've heard that career step helps graduates get a job.  Any advice for me on this?  Thanks. ...

Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 11, 2015

I researched on Indeed Jobs. At Parkland Hospital the requirement to work as a Medical Transcriptionist is to have a certificate in medical transcription or at least one year of medical typing experience. You must be able to type at least 40-59 words per minute with a minimum of three errors. You must be able to operate a dictaphone. You must have medical terminology knowledge and be able to pass a spelling test with a score of 80%. I would prefer to start my career in a hospital setting so that ...

How To Be A Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 27, 2015

I am currently studying to be a medical coder / biller. It is a long study time and tough too, but I love it. But just curious, how do we become a Medical Transcriptionist? Now that I know some medical terms and good at the computer. Maybe I can do this job as well. I have a friend who is medical transcriptionist but seem to be secretive about this career. How do we become one? I hope it does not need a long degree or diploma, or something like that. I appreicate any information. Thanks ...

Canadian Medical Transcriptionist
Mar 14, 2010

Can someone please explain to me why Canada is considered OFFSHORE?  We have the same extremely strict confidentiality and medical data security laws and, in fact, tougher standards in the definitions with Independent Contractor versus employee status.  Why is Canada considered offshore?  It's not nearly like sending something to India or Pakistan where you don't know who is working on the dictation or what the ulterior purpose is.  Why can't the two countries just get along? ...

Medical Transcriptionist Resume Help
Aug 30, 2010

I would really appreciate any help you are willing to give me.   I have not been having much luck finding a job and am getting desperate.  I am wondering if my Resume may be putting me at the bottom instead of at the top of the contact list.   I have over 30 years of experience and my resume contains the names of 15 companies that I have worked for (I sometimes had 2 or 3 jobs at one time, but I include everyone because some were Acute Care and others were Clinic Specialties).  I am ...

2008 Medical Transcriptionist
Nov 09, 2010

I am a 2008 graduate in medical transcriptionist. I have not been able to get a job. I would like to work from home. I am considering taking an exam to become a CMT or RMT. Can anyone direct me to where I can find my first job. I am really getting aggravated. ...

Medical Transcriptionist Week - WMX
May 14, 2011

Just wondering if anyone from WMX is betting on a token gift for MT week.  Last year we got the Pharmaceutical Word Book to install on our (their) computers.  Did appreciate that.  The year before we got nice BBQ aprons with their logo on it.  This year we got yet another reduction in our ISR wages.  Hoping that was not supposed to be our gift.  I know they don't have to give us anything and expect we might get a general company-wide E-mail telling us how REMA ...

Medical Transcriptionist - Taxes?
Jul 09, 2012

I'm looking for information about what to do if you get a part-time job where you are not an employee, but make over $600 for the year, but they do NOT provide a 1099.  This is a case of a man who is looking for my help in providing his transportation to medical appointments.  He seemed clueless when I asked him about these options.  Then, I was thinking.  Well, when a contractor came to my home and installed a fence, I paid over $600, but did not provide him with a 1099.  Is there som ...

USA MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST. WHY ALL THE DISLIKES?
Aug 20, 2012

I was thinking of applying since I'm looking for a day shift, but I saw 10 dislikes.  Any info? ...

Possibly Medical Transcriptionist
Jan 15, 2013

I'm looking into doing online training to be a medical transcriptionist. I was wondering how much money you make once you get out of school, is it worth it? How much an hour? Also, is it easy to find a job? I really would like to work from home because I have a 5 month old daughter.     Thanks! ...

Medical Transcriptionist Week
May 24, 2013

My how far the profession has fallen One can either hate or love technology.  It brings both good and bad.  Ron Reagan proclaims glorious MT Week in 1985 and makes it sound like a truly valued function in our society.  Fast forward to the beginning of the millennium and share your story on how glorious the profession has become Does your company provide health insurance?  Yes, no, maybe?  If so, can you afford your share of the premium that is deducted from your paych ...

Medical Transcriptionist Salary
Nov 12, 2014

I am not trying to sound discouraging, but when do I get this supposed 34,020 salary that it says on BLS website MTs are suppose to make. I graduated from my training in 2009 and have worked for 2 companies, niether of which has offered me anything close to that, and where do they get the $16.34 per hour figure from anyway? ...

Health Insurance For Medical Transcriptionist
Oct 28, 2009

I was wondering for all of you MTs who work full-time from home, what health insurance does your company provide you and your family with and how much do you pay out of pocket? I work for a company (will not mention the name) and pay $62 per pay period (for just me) which I didn't think was so bad - BUT i just found out I have a $3500 calender year deducible and will have to pay 35% of hospital fees if admitted (which I will be in 2010). So besides paying the $62 monthly, I will be paying $ ...

Transcriptionist Also Does Medical Coding/billing?
Nov 16, 2009

I was wondering if anyone who is a transcriptionist also does medical coding/billing.  I wonder if we are any safer with this field and what the pay is like.  It looks to be about the same from what I have found on line.  I have been doing transcription for 10 years and am getting tired of what is happening in the industry.  It is tedious, hard work to sit on your butt all day and only get paid when your fingers are on the keys.  I am thinking of working in an office or hospital for a chang ...

Medical Transcriptionist Who Wants To Work From Home
Jan 21, 2010

Hi! For a medical transcriptionist who wants to work from home, is the cost very expensive to have the company install their software in my Pc, and is the overhead expensive each month, such as telephone, internet, and electricity?  ...

Medical Transcriptionist Entry Level
Mar 29, 2010

Yes, current graduate of Stratford Career Institute with a diploma in Medical Transcriptionist, having a hard time finding entry level work--any suggestions..?????I am a Certified Medical Technologist as well..I need part time work at home for now.. ...

NATIONAL MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST WEEK
Feb 21, 2011

National Medical Transcriptionist Week is May 16 - 22 What are you doing to celebrate it?  I'm looking for some creative ways for our work group to celebrate. ...

Medical Transcriptionist Updating Resume ...
Apr 11, 2011

I am updating my resume, and I am wondering if I should include Acute Care experience. I do multi-specialty clinic work and H&Ps, Discharge Summaries, Consults, etc. for various Veteran's Administration hospitals and clinics. I would like to say I do Acute Care on my resume to beef it up, but because it is for the Veteran's Administration, the Acute Care reports are usually for things typically related to older patients.  No trauma-related stuff, only minor surgical procedures. ...

Difference Between, Medical Transcriptionist Or Transcriptionist I, II
Mar 31, 2011

Does anyone knows the difference between, Medical Transcriptionist or Transcriptionist I, II, and III for job title? Also, Is it really only experieced can get a job? Thank you. ...

Can You Relate? My Experience As A Medical Transcriptionist
Oct 19, 2011

I've been an MT for 12 years.  I started out with MedQuist as a subcontractor.  Life was great!  Then came employee status and being performance managed, VS, crappy software, overworked supervisors and nit picking about being literally 10 minutes late for work or getting heavy points taken off my quality score for typing "were" instead of "was."  I went to Focus, which was then taken over by Nuance, and the same experience as above started happening.  So I went ...

Advantages/disadvantages To Having An EIN As A Medical Transcriptionist
Jun 24, 2014

What are the advantages/disadvantages to having an EIN as an MT?  I have been an MT for over 14 years and have been asked by a company to do some work for them, but they require I have an EIN, which I have never had to have. ...

NATIONAL MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST STRIKE! ..
Feb 19, 2015

As MTs, we have seen over the years how our jobs just keep bottoming out more or less.  Companies are taking advantage of us while they "suck up all the money" that is paid out by healthcare facilities; we just "don't count."  On top of that, companies are now trying to turn us into ICs supplying our own software programs AND equipment.  In 25 years of doing this, I have not seen line count pay increase one iota quite frankly.  The only thing I can think of is ...

Jury Duty Pay For A Medical Transcriptionist
Apr 08, 2015

Does anyone know off hand if MModal pays for jury duty for part-time employees? ...

Medical Transcriptionist Unite For A Pay Raise
May 21, 2015

It's time for the medical transcription community to come together to insist on better pay. As the fast-food industry employees have joined together in protest for better pay, it is now the medical transcriptionist time to do the same. It time for the medical transcriptionists in America to unite and stand together as one, just as other underpaid employees of other companies are doing, such as McDonald's and Wal Mart. If our services are so valuable, then we deserve better pay. ...