A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

no pay jury duty!! - sm

Posted: Jun 15, 2010

I'm so upset....I just got $0 paycheck from Keystrokes.  I was on jury duty and had been told I would be paid for it.  I sent an email to find out what happened.  Now I've been told that the company doesn't pay for it and to use PTO, which as PT I don't get!!!  Had they been upfront with me when I first told them (team lead, etc.) of the jury duty summons, I would have gotten a note from work excusing me from doing it.  I can't afford having no money for 2 weeks.  I wonder how much food I can buy for my family of 5 with $50 in the bank....I hope it's enough to go until my next check.  I don't mind having to pay bills late, but I definitely don't want my kids going hungry.  I think I'll need to do some extra heavyduty meal planning before shopping this week. 

I cannot express enough to everyone PT, make sure you WILL get paid for time off before taking it.  Ask, ask and ask multiple people until you are sure.  I've dfinitely learned my lesson not to listen to just one person.     

why were you off for 2 weeks - also,

[ In Reply To ..]
why did'nt you work before or after jury duty hours?

I work PT and worked around jury duty to make sure I would get a check.

I got put on a case the first day - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I also live an hour away from the courthouse. So I put in 8 hours of JD with 2 hours of driving daily. However, that doesn't really matter.

The point of my post was that I WAS TOLD I WOULD BE PAID FOR THE JURY DUTY TIME but then wasn't.

It's easy to ask why I didn't work before or after jury duty hours. If I'd been told the time was unpaid and decided to do JD anyway, I most definitely would have been trying to make up the time. However, why would I do that when I'd been told I was being PAID for that time?

When you're told you get time off paid, you don't automatically work outside your schedule trying to make up those same hours. If that's something you'd do anyway, then more power to you.

Keystrokes - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Typical of Keystrokes to do this. All the owner of KS thinks about is herself, how much money she and her husband can make, what to buy next, what extravagant vacation they will take next and most of the team leads are just plain incompetent!!!
my goodness, what happened to you?. Did you mean QAs, only 1 MT lead - .
[ In Reply To ..]
Must be some reason for you anger huh?

What company do you know of that would pay you for - 2 weeks jury duty. I

[ In Reply To ..]
don't think it was a matter of being upfront, but rather you didn't read the policy correctly.

no Iistened to a supervisor who didn't know - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:(

Does your company have a policy handbook or sm - GabaHey

[ In Reply To ..]
HR employee sheet or something? It shouldn't be a surprise on how your paid for anything, jury duty, vacation, lines, etc. Reputable companies put the policies in writing so there is no disputation.

As a very part-time employee, there are no benefits. This is in the handbook. nm - FastFingers

[ In Reply To ..]
I am one of the supervisors on the account and you are very, very part time. None of us would say that you would be paid; you would've been referred to HR.

I am sorry that you are upset, but you need to tell the whole truth, which is that you work very few hours, certainly not even what you would get from the court for jury duty. I am not unfeeling or unsympathetic, but this is not a valid complaint.
this is what I was told and have emails to show it - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't assume just because you know that EVERYBODY knows.

I'm telling the whole truth and it's a valid complaint.

I should have been told it wasn't paid plain and simple. That was an error on my supervisor's part not mine.

It doesn't matter how many hours as PT I do either, being told it's paid and then after the fact finding out it wasn't. THAT'S THE COMPLAINT!
Instead of blaming your super for "telling you", sm - NNNZZZ
[ In Reply To ..]
why didn't you read your handbook yourself? Everyone should be responsible for their own information.
what handbook - never received anything - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
supervisors - mommy3
[ In Reply To ..]
While one would think checking the employee handbook would make all questions go away, it rarely does. This is one reason there are supervisors.

I've had plenty of supervisors in my time who have no idea what's what. Yes, they talk good and act like they do but in reality they don't know much more than anybody else. Many people learn this the hard way, usually after they get "the wrong end of the stick" so to speak.

The main thing to learn from this post is to rely on yourself and not on anybody else for answers.

I must mention one more thing that has bugged me about your post. This is suppose to be an annonymous site, so I think indicating that you know who the poster is was very inappropriate. I think comments should be generalized and not personalized. By indicating you knew the poster, you personalized your comment. I may get some negative responses for my comment, but that's OK with me.
respectfully disagree - KSer
[ In Reply To ..]
When an MT details her situation to this extent, often there's no question about who the poster is. When there are inconsistencies that need to be clarified, it's anyone's right to post what they want - and no name was ever mentioned. There is much more to this than what is being presented. What bothers me is the constant bashing of companies without the ability at times to clarify individual situations. Handbook clearly definies the jury duty policy. It's not always as black and white as people try to claim.
I must respectfully disagree with your post - mommy3
[ In Reply To ..]
Although the company name was mentioned, there was no detailed information otherwise. The poster didn't mention the supervisor's name nor any specific accounts worked on.

You say there is more than is being presented. I guess Keystrokes must be a very small company for 2 people now have indicated they know about this poster's situation with such vague details being given. If not, then the only other thing I can figure out with this situation being so well-known at Keystrokes is the company has very loose lips.

Thankfully the company I worked for has a strict policy against such behavior.

I wish the OP good luck and email me if you'd like to work for a company that acts like a business and keeps the employer-employee confidentiality.
and you have that freedom :) - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
It's not hard to narrow down who this is when the situation is so clearly defined as it has been by the MT, and when there have been other issues swirling around this MT that she fails to mention - for a while. She only tells half the story, which is convenient for her. Trying to clarify something is not unprofessional, telling half truths, as she has, is deplorable. It's an open board, and if you post, be prepared that somtimes your identify will be recognized because of the info you provide and the allegations you make. No one identified her name, nor would they, but anyone has a right to defend themselves. Also, let's don't pretend this is a professional board :) That's a joke.
Just my point of view... - Bad Rabbit
[ In Reply To ..]

I think that the KS supervisor response could have redressed any perceived misconceptions put forth by the original poster without identifying himself/herself as a supervisor and saying that no supervisor would have given the OP the informations she states she received.  It is in the realm of possibility that someone could have made an error or given her incorrect information.  It would have sufficed to give the handbook location and gist of the policy regarding this situation.  Addressing this the way that it was addressed makes the KS supervisory team appear unprofessional by appearing to handle their employee business in a public forum.    Additionally, the comment that there were other issues surrounding the OP is also unprofessional and potentially professionally dangerous.  

It is possible that the OP may have been telling half-truths as indicated.  However, I personally would expect more professional behavior from one in a supervisory position, professional board or not.  

Are you another MT, her supervisor or what? How are you - Beverly
[ In Reply To ..]
privy to so much information? By saying the OP is only telling half the story puts Keystrokes in a very bad light. Looks like they are big gossips there.
I have concerns about the OP's post as well - For her own sake
[ In Reply To ..]
By her original post, it's clear this is a fresh incident that just happened, which makes it very simple for the powers-that-be at KS to pinpoint her identity without any problem whatsoever.

I've never worked for KS so I don't know how they operate, but I'm concerned what must be a very obvious identity for them makes her a sitting duck for retribution, IF that's how they do things at KS.

I also agree - jj
[ In Reply To ..]
there could of been some kind of misunderstanding but also feel the OP should probably watch out as KS will most likely do some kind of reprimand just for posting the complaint here.

Some posters feel the need to paint a horrid picture of the OP. I wonder why they feel that so necessary to do? If you don't agree with what was posted, just say so. There's no need for the extra commentary about the OP.

The only reason this forum is so unprofessional is due to the types of snide remarks that are so frequently allowed to be posted. Keep your comments professional and that's how the forum will be.

jury duty - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There are a lot of companies that voluntarily pay for jury duty. There are also some states that require an employer to pay for it as well.

That sucks - sorry

[ In Reply To ..]
for your bad luck. There is a web site called 5dollar dinners you could try or hillbilly housewives. That might help. Good luck

You should double check your State's Requirements - Just a thought

[ In Reply To ..]

You should double check your State’s requirements regarding Jury Duty.   

Hopefully, your State will issue their jury-duty checks quickly and you will not have to wait 2 weeks for a check.   Since you live so far away, your travel expense reimbursement may help a little. 

Here is what Connecticut has on their website:

Jury duty is an essential component of our judicial system and most employers go above and beyond the law when accommodating employees that have been called.  If your employee is summoned for jury duty, this information will help keep you in compliance with state and federal law.  

Employers' Obligation to Pay Wages - State Courts
Under state law, employers are required to pay full-time employees their regular wages for the first five days of jury duty, or any part thereof, unless they are considered temporary or casual employees.  For purposes of this law, "full-time" is defined as an employee holding a position normally requiring 30 hours or more of service in each week.  A seasonal worker, such as a summer intern, is considered temporary or casual and is not entitled to reimbursement from the employer.  Jurors that are not entitled to wages from an employer may be eligible for up to $50 per day from the state for reimbursement of necessary out-of-pocket expenses, such as mileage and child care, for the first five days.  All jurors serving more than five days will be reimbursed $50 per day by the state.

Employers' Failure to Pay Wages
Under state law, employers who have not obtained a waiver and who fail to pay an employee serving on a jury may be liable for treble damages and attorneys' fees.  If a juror sues the employer under these circumstances, extreme financial hardship is not permitted as a defense.

Even in CT she probably would not have been paid--it - states Full-Time employees. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I'm so sorry about this. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
So many people ignore JD summons and outright lie to get out of service. But, you did your civic duty and now are suffering for it.

Just a little advice about feeding your family. I volunteer at an interfaith food cupboard. We ask no questions when people come in to get food. They simply request food and we give it to them. There are lots of food cupboards like this all over the country. It might be a helpful way to stretch out your 50 dollars. You can get staples like cereal, pasta, peanut butter, canned soup and veggies. Don't feel embarrassed about it. You were wronged, but you have to feed your family.

You may want to ... - Bad Rabbit

[ In Reply To ..]

check with the state or municipality for which you had jury duty.  I cannot speak to whether or not jury duty should/should not have been paid by your employer, but at least in the state where I live, there are provisions for jurors to be paid by the court system for jury duty on an actual case.  It is not much, but it may help.  Rates vary but you may be able to find some information here:   http://www.matrixbookstore.biz/trial_jury.htm

If the supervisor you spoke with was aware of this information, this may have been what she/he meant by you will be paid for jury duty.  That is just my opinion, and as I said before, I have no knowledge of your specific situation.

Hope this information is of help.

Is this related to last week's post by the "friend" of SM - observer

[ In Reply To ..]
an MT who wasn't paid? Those posts were deleted, of course.

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Know How They Pay For Jury Duty?
Apr 24, 2012

Does anyone know how they pay for jury duty? My boss said to put it in as jury duty pay, but if they are going to take it off my vacation time, I don't want that.  I want to save that for important, needed vacation time.  Thanks.  ...

If You Have Jury Duty Pay Attention
Mar 12, 2013

Make sure you enter it as jury duty and not "excused no pay."  Your CCM may tell you to enter it as the latter but in most if not all states, your employer is required to pay you.  ...

Trying To Figure Out Jury Duty Time Off
Apr 28, 2010

I've been trying to figure out jury duty time off.  I'm PT and see a lot of info for the FT folks and PT in certain states, not mine, but don't see anything other than that.  Does that mean they won't release me for jury duty?  I kind of thought companies were required to let you off for Jury duty.  Where I live, I can only opt out of Jury duty if I can prove an actual hardship and I don't believe MQ disallowing me to go constitutes that.  If anybody has experienc ...

Medical Transcription & Jury Duty Pay?
Jun 14, 2010

Does anybody know for sure if we get paid for jury duty?  I'm thinking we do, but don't remember for sure.  Just got summons today.  But also, I have a 10-year-old son home with me all day in the summer and I am wondering if I can get out of it because of that.  Anybody know or have any advice, I'd appreciate it! ...

Been Called To Jury Duty This Week
Mar 21, 2011

Hey, guys! I've been called to jury duty this week. I have notified my supervisor. What is the general procedure you are on a production basis? This will certainly have an effect on my quota. ...

Jury Duty Pay For A Medical Transcriptionist
Apr 08, 2015

Does anyone know off hand if MModal pays for jury duty for part-time employees? ...

Anyone Know How The Jury Duty Policy Works For Part Time
Dec 03, 2013

I know we don't get paid for it but if we have jury duty do we have to take one of our 13 days for it? Doesn't seem right to me. I have to do jury duty and don't get paid by MM and yet have to use one of my 13 days off when I can use those later for something I really want to do? ...