A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Companies - In General

Posted: Aug 04, 2013

There is no perfect company and/or job out there.  You can post on here and ask about any company you want and you will hear good and bad about them.  A company that is great for one person may be awful for another for various reasons.  Depends on what you are looking for and/or what you are willing to just deal with.  My advise, take what you read here with a grain of salt and make your decision, if it sounds like something you might like give it a shot, if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out and you look elsewhere, but just because one MT hated a company does not mean you will have the same result and the same goes for the other way also.  Just saying don't say no to a company simply on what you read on these boards, find out the facts and truth for yourself.

My advice would be to advise all of us to - get out of MT as fast as we can

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been at this for a very, very long time and I just can't take working for measly pennies any more. There may be a few "good" companies left, but for how long?

Agreed! Sinking ship with part under water and a tiny bit above...but it's still sinking. - Realist

[ In Reply To ..]
Working as hard as I am able to either locate a clerical position and/or am going back to school (registered at community college).

Let's face facts: The tech school I went through to learn medical transcription no longer even offers the program!

I checked my area for an extensive period of time for an in-office, local transcription job, and there's nothing.

And, the overwhelming comments on this board by many, many MTS, as well as on several others boards and blogs, are that MTs are either (1) laid off; (2) struggle to have consistent paychecks; (3) make a fraction of what they used to; (4) have no benefits; (5) are treated like garbage by several of the big MTSOs; (5) and must "flex" their shift from a normal period of time to 12+ hours to make minimum lines and pay. I experience this frequently myself along with pay that might be okay one week, only to plummet the next.

I figure there are two choices, stick one's head into the sand (or put blinders on) and ignore the water that's filling up more and more of the ship, or face reality and make some real plans and find a life raft! But, for Pete's sake, don't tell us (like the OP did) that it's all just relative and simply a case of not being a fit for certain companies because eventually the ship goes completely under.

Glad I got out - Dallas

[ In Reply To ..]
Towards the end I was making less than minimum wage and working very long hours. Let India do it and screw up a lot of reports and all those people who wanted the big Obama tax breaks for sending work over there can just deal with their lawsuits.
Better yet - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
How about we let some of the MTS "Os" as is "owners" try to transcribe a report for one minute? Yes, while I will agree some of them are former MTs, most just have no clue. I don't know, India or an MTSO, who do we think could transcribe a better report?

Sinking Profession - Esme

[ In Reply To ..]
Amen to the above! I am working 2 jobs and going to school. God help me! I am getting out of this field! I hope the rest of you are doing the same that are willing to see the truth! I still love transcription itself but I hate what it has become!
Back to school - too
[ In Reply To ..]
good luck!

Re: "Good" companies: Good compared to what? - Each is worse than the next.

[ In Reply To ..]

There is one more option: Change your mindset about transcription. sm - HappyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been thinking about this a lot, and I actually talked to the owner of the company that I work for about it. She told me some things that made me change my thinking. I am not going to say which MTSO, because the bashers and cheerleaders always come out full force for this company, but the owner has been in the business for a long time, and I think she knows what she is talking about. Again, please note that this is an opinion of someone with some added insight and opinion of my own added in.

1. There is still a very big need for transcription. The number of hospitals and clinics has not gone significantly down and although technology has taken some of our work, there is still a lot of work that needs to be done. Not all hospitals and clinics can afford the big, fancy EHR's that do everything and even if they can, not all want to use them for point and click or full voice recognition.

2. Transcription, as we knew it, is gone forever, for the most part.

3. Being an MT used to be a good way to make a living, with most of us making upwards of $30.00 per hour. Now it is a great secondary income in a family. Most MT's do not make enough to support a family, but adding $25,000 or $30,000 is a nice addition to another paycheck within a household. The hourly wage is more in the $10.00 to $15.00 range now, even inhouse jobs.

4. While a set schedule seems like the end of the world, it will allow us to have real lives, not working around the clock as we have for years.

5. If MT's who are not happy leave the field (or at least the company I work for), there should be enough work for those of us that love doing transcription and editing.

6. Editing does not pay as well as transcription but it is not as hard as transcription (for the most part). It is easier on our hands and arms, and the systems do catch a lot that was hard to understand with the old dictation systems. Yes, some of it is garbage, but a lot of it is very good.

7. If doing VR editing, we no longer have to buy or maintain C-phones or Laniers and we do not need 2 phone lines or long distance.

8. We don't need fax machines to get hospital census reports; the patient information is imported on the reports. No more looking up visits or patient name spelling or physician names.

9. Computers are faster, internet is better and I still can work in my pajamas, be a room mom for my kids and watch baseball and softball games. Until my kids are out of the house, working at home is best for me and for my family. My kids have me home before and after school, on holidays and all summer. I am here to make lunch, give hugs and know they are safe.

It is no longer a career, but transcription can be a job that works for those who love words, want to work at home and love what they do. It doesn't have to be all bad, just different.

Here! Here! for HappyMT - mm

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with everything you are saying. Being able to work at home has been a blessing for me and I have been doing it for 18 years. MT-ing isn't all it used to be, but looking around, what is?

However, I do think some of the MTs on this board explain why some companies don't want to deal with American MTs. Negativity is neither attractive or productive.

at-home or on-site, you still work hard, are educated, - & deserve to be compensated for that.

[ In Reply To ..]
There comes a point when just "being at home" is no longer a fair trade for the peanuts we're being paid. Especially when we're expected to be at their beck and call 24/7. If it's just to be home, or to be with the kids, considering the non-wage you're being paid, and how hard you're working for it, just imagine the quality time you'd have available to you if you didn't work at all. Or at least not as an MT.

What rhetoric - what's to be happy about? - spare me

[ In Reply To ..]
blah blah blah poor companies, bad MTs. We've all heard it before. An MT job these days is worse than slavery - at least the slaves had food, shelter, clothing and medical for their work. An MT is lucky to provide themselves with any two of the above for their work.

Transcription as we know it may be gone, and our wages may be gone, but very soon - all of the most experienced, seasoned MTs will be gone as well because most of us old hands are sick of the exploitation. We're just looking for a good place to jump off this runaway train. When the work force is gone - or they are left with a work force of severely under educated to do the job the industry will be gone as well. That's the only thing that makes me a 'Happy MT' is dreaming of the day when the going around finally comes around.

No you spare US - AM

[ In Reply To ..]
I am also happy--and I make $30 an hour on the average. Do I have to flex my schedule so I can be on when there is work available. Yes! Is it a pain in the whiskers? Yes! But I work for a very good company and am happy. For those who do not like MT--perhaps it is time to take an honest look and see if there might be something else out there that would suit you more. Just saying.
Good for you - Spare Me
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm glad that is working out so well for you, however realize you are the execption to what is taking place in the industry to the majority of us.

Take heed - you are sailing on a sinking ship.

When that happens to you and you join the ranks of the rest of us, as inevitably you will, you will remember with clarity what I said all to painfully.

It's hard to be a "happy" MT when all the MT - jobs are going to disappear soon.

[ In Reply To ..]

yes but with TAA and unemployment it's like being paid to go back to school - dream come true

[ In Reply To ..]
i can only hope to be laid off. Just preregistered for school and hope to hear about my financial aid by the end of the week

Fingers crossed!

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - NCL

[ In Reply To ..]
You sound like Chicken Little.
Go back to your office - Right Away
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't you have some MTs you are supervising that you need to reprimand?

To HappyMT - I understand

[ In Reply To ..]
your reasoning, except for some great points on the other end of the spectrum. You are saying that transcription is now a great job for a second income, not for supporting oneself alone. Well...many of us do NOT HAVE A SECOND INCOME with which to be able to do this on a part time basis for less than minimum wage. Some of us have been in this so long, spent many years honing our skills and continuing education learning words, procedures, systems that we did not have 20 years ago, but even though we are "expected to know these things," we are only paid $5 an hour or so for our wonderful "knowledge." That is an insult. Some of these newer companies expect ICs to work a set schedule, which is not the end of the world, by any means, but right along with it, they "expect" a certain line count per day with 99.9% QA. Meeting that line count in particular is almost an impossibility because as some of the MTs are leaving due to disgust at their positions now, they are also being replaced with other MTs and then some, to do the work that the older MT leaves. We DO NOT end up with more work because someone leaves the industry...we get less work because they hire three more to take the place of one! So...meeting line counts is not an option, plus you lose benefits, PTO, and every other "benefit" that is supposed to come with the job! Besides, if one is only in this because it is an "at home" job and you can "have a life" with your kids, then you are in it for the wrong reason. There are many "at home" jobs out there that pay a decent living wage and treat their employees and contractors with respect, affording them all of the benefits, wages, and opportunities of a regular on-site job. Just because we are at home does not mean that we have to be treated badly! VR is not easier than straight transcription. I do not care how much you say that it has improved, it has not. I see many posts from people who are suffering body mechanic illnesses, just as before, but being paid half as much to incur the injuries, and being berated by these companies if they cannot make twice as many lines in less than half the time. They give us the worst of the worst dictators, put them on VR and expect us to clean up the mess at less than half the compensation. While some of your points are valid, most of them are not. You were fed a glass of Kool-Aid and drank it, and are now trying to make the rest of us drink it too. I am glad you seem to have found a nice fit for your situation, but many of the rest of us just do not fit into that glove, and as much as we would like to be HAPPY with all of the things you failed to mention, it is just not an option. We are not CHOOSING to be negative, it is the reality of the situations we are in. negativity is surrounding us. it is hard not to absorb at least some of it. I hope your happiness continues, but it is my best guess that you will eventually feel the reality, as much as the rest of us have. good luck to you.

I Understand - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Beautifully spoken. You hit the nail on the head. There isn't too much more that can be added.

You can choose not to buy into the negativity. - Happy gal

[ In Reply To ..]
Think about it. Not all of us choose to be miserable.

You missed what I was trying to say. This is not the same industry and will not be again. sm - HappyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
It is not going to support a household and those that need that are going to have to find other careers. It might sound mean to say, but it's true. There are a lot of professions that go away but they are in buildings and factories, so it is more obvious. Instead, with transcription, there are people hanging on to something that is no longer there. If the new state of the industry, making $10-15 an hour is not not right for someone, complaining is not going to change it. Yes, there are production standards that have to be met and if you were in-house or in any job, you would have to meet them. I don't think companies should have to keep people who don't make minimum production requirements.

The sky isn't falling, not even close. It's just changing.
it supports my household and i am a single mom - tko
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I am a single mom, too - Leah
[ In Reply To ..]
And MT supports me and my nearly 14-year old just fine. We are by no means rich, but we can pay the rent and the bills.

I agree with you... - ???

[ In Reply To ..]
I too am a FT MT with a decent income, insurance, etc. Having health insurance is the only reason I'm staying until something non-MT comes along (and I'm trying to get out). I am lucky to have a husband with a FT job but his income alone can't pay the mortgage and monthly bills. We do not have kids but still struggle to keep a balance at the end of the month. I like the times with alot of lines and a bigger check, but the next check is barely line count and a little check. At least a job with a set hourly wage is better for budgeting. Yeah, I did feel the same say as OP with staying at home, extra income, yada yada, but now I realize if God forbid my husband got hurt on the job and lost his income, my MT wages would not cut it. Period. So I feel for any MT out there FT or PT that is the sole breadwinner for just themselves, let alone a spouse, children, pets, sick relative, etc. Some of them are not so lucky to have an extra income earner in the household.

Well said - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You are 100% correct in everything you have said. Unless you have been in this industry for 15 years, you cannot appreciate what has truly happened. If the industry has legitimately changed in fairness, who can complain? However, it has changed merely for the purpose of greed. The few people who "buy into" the upper management reasoning will understand at some point. It all comes down to greed in a few companies shipping work overseas where we all have suffered (when patients are actually paying more), and if you are naïve enough to believe the hype, it is truly sad. And . . . I am not sure how someone could say if you are not meeting production you should be let go to MTs who change their schedule daily to grasp a mere pittance of work only to keep running out because of over-hiring or shipping work overseas. I have been hired for several companies in the past for new accounts, worked hard on it, perfected it, put extra time and effort to please the new client, only to have it shift overseas the following month wherein I am out of work. I was told it was the client's decision, but I guarantee you it was the plan from the beginning until the overseas people were up to speed. It took a few times to realize this was the plan by the company all along. When this happens to you (Happy MT and those of you who agree with Happy MT) over and over, you may be a little negative too. Maybe there are some people on here who go too far, but it is nice to know there are other people who are frustrated so you do not feel alone out there - when you have gone through this a few times (talking to Happy MT here), then come back and post, and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

HappyMT - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you and welcome a positive voice. While I would not encourage someone who wants a "profession," to go into MT, I do think that many positives are still there. I also think that, as with any field, there are some folks in MT that just are not a right fit for the field. I think there are also some greedy, unethical MTSOs out there who have hurt a lot of people. It is a complicated situation. I am glad that you have a great place to work. There really ARE good companies out there still. I never mention the ones I like by name because they are routinely bashed on this board, and I do not want to contribute to that. Anyway, glad MT is working for you!

HappyMT - LisaCT

[ In Reply To ..]
your absolutely right. the people on here complaining all the time, I wonder why don't they just go work in an office somewhere and give it up. this is a just an extra supplemental income job, you cannot support yourself with it. My husband has the stable job. I am looking to do temping, also been applying of some part-time MT, but there are hundreds of people applying for every post on here. Makes me wonder, if they hate it so bad, get out, so there is work for the rest of us!

to I Wonder Why They don't Just go - to work in an office

[ In Reply To ..]
somewhere and give it up" Well, some of us are too old to "go work in an office somewhere and give it up" because no office is going to hire someone who is at retirement age. Some of us have no spouse because the spouse has passed on and we don't have the options that you young whippersnappers can sit there and gloat about and say so easily "just give it up...get out...so there is work for the rest of us." You are the very ones I spoke about in my original post. If we leave the industry...they will hire three more to take our spots, so there will not be more work for the rest of you. If you are experiencing not having enough work, getting rid of the rest of us will not give you more...you will get less, because the newer, younger MTs just do not know what we know, and will not work as hard or with the quality that the older MTs have given their lives for. Since you still have options in your life, do this as a second income so you can stay home with your babies, then why don't YOU get out, and leave the work to the rest of us who have built this industry on our knowledge and our resources, only to have it taken away from us by the unscrupulous. YOU go back to school, you get a job somewhere else and stop telling us that we are the ones who should do that. If even you cannot find an outside job due to hundreds of other unemployed people looking for work, how do you suppose us older ones are going to manage? sigh.

My advice would be to say "no" to the entire - MT industry. Its all a scam now. (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
asdfghjkl

sinking ship - kabina

[ In Reply To ..]
When I think what I have been through the last few years, being let go from a company I had worked for for years, working for Nuance, being rehired from the company that let me go, then not getting enough work, going to Soft Script for a bad experience, then finally the company that rehired me saying they were going to VR and I was let go day after Christmas for complaining about that, I am just exhausted with this profession. I found another MT job which doesn't measure up, work is being lost again to VR and I am trying to some more MT work and honestly I feel like I'm about to break down from all of this. This is just not a good industry to be in anymore, and if you are making good now, it's just very likely going to change folks.

transcription in general - Esme

[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I am working 2 jobs and going to college part-time because by the grace of God I am getting out of this "career". I hope you ALL are doing the same.............when I think about how hard I studied for this, "career" its sickening!

Similar Messages:

Always See The Companies To Stay Away From, How About Companies To Go To?
Oct 23, 2012

I see many warnings about bogus companies but I need help to steer me to a good company or at least a company that is fair, hiring and gives a fair entrance test.  any ideas?   ...

Which Companies Use
Oct 11, 2009

Escription or ExEditor VR?  TIA! ...

What Is With These Companies?
Dec 30, 2009

Can anyone answer me why is it that these MT companies hire you and they all promise you the sun, moon and stars.  Oh we have TONS of work. We guarantee you at least 11 accounts and 2,500 lines a day. Then you are sitting there 6 months later, waiting for jobs? I have experienced this many times. Can it be that its just bad management and they overhire? Does anyone know of a company that really does have TONS of work? I know this is the slow time of year, but many times its happened at othe ...

IC Companies
Mar 01, 2010

Are there any companies left who hire strictly IC status, and if so, pros and cons? Thanks! ...

Why Do Companies Who Don't
May 05, 2010

pay us hourly anymore anyway make us punch an electronic time clock?  What's wrong with sending simple timesheets like we did for years?  It has no effect on our pay whatsoever since we aren't hourly and is only to cover their butts regarding overtime, so why do they go through all the nightmare of eTime?! ...

Any Companies Who Do Not Use VR? (sm)
Jun 02, 2010

The company I work for has gone VR (on most jobs).  I cannot make any money doing this.  My pay has been cut approximately $150 to $200 every two weeks.  They have already taken away the incentives, and now if you screw up a couple of times on demographics, you do not get paid for the job, and the third or fourth time you are pulled from the account.  I am just so frustrated.  This VR is killing me.  It takes more time to make corrections.  It is frustrati ...

Can Anyone Tell Me What Companies
Jun 11, 2010

hire newbies and which ones are the best to work for?  A friend of mine wants to start transcription - god help her : -) ...

Companies For New MTs
Aug 18, 2010

Can someone please point me to reputable links or companies who hire new (recently graduated/just out of school)  transcriptionists?  I don't want to apply to companies that aren't good to work for! Who are ones that you know of who hire right out of school and are good to work for?  I need something!! I can't take it?  I feel like I have applied to every company that I have found on the Internet with no response! Sorry if I'm venting, but it's just g ...

Are There Any Companies That
Aug 30, 2010

nm ...

Companies That Do Not Pay!
Sep 01, 2010

Getting so tired of hearing this!  We need to start a list online where MTs can go to check.  Any suggestions? ...

Can Someone Tell My Why Companies Do This?
Sep 30, 2010

So, I see it all of the time, people on here complaining about no work, yet the company they are complaining about is HIRING.  My job recently did this as well.  I am day after day running out of work, but yet I see an ad that they are hiring!  I e-mailed the owner and asked about it and she didn't reply.  I UNDERSTAND that they are hiring for a different account, BUT, since it's all transcribing, why not just move some people around and give those extra accounts to ...

I Just Have To Wonder About Companies That Say
Nov 13, 2010

they want ICs and then say they need them to work certain days and hours.  Will this be a problem?  Umm, yes!  lol!!  Some things never change. ...

What's Going On With Some Of These Companies??
Jan 19, 2011

I got an email yesterday telling me that I didn't meet the quota of 10,000 lines for the last pay period... well, duh...  There is not enough work.  Today I get an email asking how many times I checked on a new account yesterday because they had issues and actually never went live at all.  I responded to the email and my supervisor emails me back asking me if I'm hourly or on production.  huh??????    No work this morning either... just sit ...

Do The Other Companies Out There Have This Much ASR?
Mar 25, 2011

This is ridiculous!  I just was rehired again after being away for 2 years and I'm thinking I made a mistake!  I want to know if there are any other companies out there that let you JUST TYPE!  Would love to hear from someone who has left and is working for a different company as I think I have one foot out the door!  ...

What Companies Use DQS?
Mar 29, 2011

x ...

Companies Using XP
Apr 29, 2011

Periodically, I will cruise the MT help wanted, and see some companies that list the system requirements as "must have XP."  My question is this:  I wonder if they mean must have at least XP or do they mean MUST HAVE XP.  I find it difficult to believe that any system out there only works with XP, as Vista has been around for a good long while and even Windows 7 (which I wish DocQ would update to) has been out for a bit.  I mean, it would be very difficult to find a computer ...

Companies That Still Use FTP?
Aug 10, 2011

I am in need of a company that still uses FTP where you download a bunch of work at once, work on it, send it back, repeat :)  If you know of anyone and do not wish to post it, please feel free to email me. Thank you very much. ...

Are There Any Companies That Pay
Sep 11, 2011

Any companies that pay a premium for RMT and then help you progress to CMT? I realize this is probably a long shot, just curious anyway. ...

Companies That Use DQS
Oct 08, 2011

Can someone tell me the name of a few companies that use DQS other than the Squid and DSG?  I worked both those places and would not go back no matter what! ...

HI! Does Anyone Know Of Companies That Use
Jan 15, 2012

xxx ...

Any Companies Allow MAC Use?
Feb 23, 2012

Experienced MT looking for PT work but currently have a MAC with dual operating system (VMware Fusion) or Windows on a MAC.  Any info on companies that allow this, if any, would be greatly appreciated!  My choice would be NOT to have to buy a new PC unless I absolutely have to!  Thanks! ...

I Have To Wonder How These Companies Think We
Apr 13, 2012

can make it on $15 a day!!  I just started a week ago yesterday and have also run out of work twice.  This is really pathetic.  I know some on here say they would never take such a low paying job (4 for editing and 6 for straight typing).  Had I not been desperate, believe me I would not have either.  I have to wonder what happened.  I know I will get a lot of answers to that question, but why in the world are we the ones getting such lousy pay?  I am seriously ...

All Companies Are The Same. They All Want You To
Apr 23, 2012

guess if you cannot understand something.  Oh they won't tell you straight out to guess, but that is what they want you to do.  It is the same ole blame the MT mentality.  If the ESL is horrible, do not dare ask them to speak better.  MAke the MT guess and if SHE gets it wrong, it is on HER head.  No thank you!!  God what I would not do to find something else:))) ...

Are All Companies Going To VR?
May 21, 2012

My pay has been cut by more than half and I'm working longer hours due to VR on most accounts.  Well, when I have work anyway.  Are there any companies that hire for straight typing any longer? How do people live on this work now? I had to come back to my verbally abusive husband due to no money and I was literally starving.  This is all I know, have been an MT now for 20 years.  What to do............ ...

What Gets Me About Certain Companies
May 25, 2012

is when they post an ad for help.  I send my resume clearly showing my experience for the job and they never even contact me, even putting up another ad.  This just gets me!! ...

Looking For Companies That Pay 8 Cpl
Jun 12, 2012

Same Companies Over And Over Again
Sep 25, 2012

I know this was addressed yesterday, but the same companies are posting the same jobs.  Are they just getting busier or is everyone quitting???  I don't even feel like applying for these same jobs.  Does anyone know what is happening? It seems like there is a lot of work out there, but the same work.     ...

Very Sad Pay At Most Companies
Dec 08, 2012

It amazes me how many people try to make others feel bad for accepting these positions.  Unfortunately right now these wages are what this market is and people who need a job who need to work to live don't have a choice but to accept these positions.  So they do so only to have to constantly listen to others saying they are "stupid" for taking it and they are the reason the companies continue to do so.  Yes there is an option to get out of the field and work elsewhere but for ...

What The Companies Will Tell You About VR
Jan 21, 2013

I have recently interviewed (on the phone) with two different MT companies that I see are hiring on the board and mentioned here.  BOTH told me that I would increase my speed substantially if I used their VR platform as a reason to only pay me pennies (one 3CPL and one 4CPL) for doing VR. From my experience, that tends to be a completely untrue.  My current job uses eScription, which IMO is one of the best VR softwares out there.   It also shows you how many lines you h ...

Does Anyone Know Which Companies
Jun 20, 2013

use DocQScribe currently?  I appreciate any info! ...