A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

comma usage "..., and that..." - ww

Posted: Dec 02, 2010

Would I use a comma between the word "extent" and "that". I was always under the assumption if "that" follows "and" then I should not use a comma?

"The patient was nearly mute, but when I talked to him after about 5 minutes, he started to talk and answer questions to some extent and that he agreed for the need for an inpatient stay."

Comma - yogamum

[ In Reply To ..]
No comma is required.

Thanks so much yogamum. - ww

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your help.

Some other changes are needed - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
No comma is needed after extent, but I don't believe the first part of the sentence is punctuated correctly and would punctuate it like this:

The patient was nearly mute, but when I talked to him, after about 5 minutes he started to talk and answer questions to some extent.. .

The way you have it punctuated in the example actually changes the meaning from what seems to be intended. I also think that the "that" needs to be removed; it just doesn't make any sense in the context of the sentence. When you take out the "that", you would then need a comma after "extent."

My take on it - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
The patient was nearly mute but, when I talked to him, after about 5 minutes...
I always thought it was done this way, because you could take out the "when I talked to him" and still have a complete sentence.

On second thought - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
True, but punctuation is still needed after "mute." In looking at this again, the second part of the sentence after mute can stand alone, so I think the correct punctuation after mute is acutally a semi colon:

The patient was nearly mute; but, when I talked to him, after about 5 minutes . . .

My take again - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
He started to talk, answer questions to some extent, and he agreed for the need for an inpatient stay. Of course, this is only if it is not a verbatim account, although I have never typed nonsense even with verbatim. It drives me crazy.

again - nan

[ In Reply To ..]
I also don't type nonsense with verbatim. Our job is to make the doctor sound good. If they want true verbatim, like you have to do in legal transcription, they would not like it. In legal, you have to put every "um", "uh", everytime the doctor says go back to such and such, you would have to type that too. I type my reports to make the doctor sound like he is not the stuttering, stammering, lousy dictator that he is (many of them). No matter who tells you it has to be verbatim, they don't know what they are talking about, and if they insist upon it, give them what they want and see what they say to that. Read the BOS on "verbatim." You are supposed to make the doctor sound good.

Yes, but more - - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
The tricky part is to do it without changing a bit of the meaning of what they are saying. That is where being a mind reader comes in handy, LOL! It really does require a lot of judgment. I have always worked verbatim accounts and try to be very careful what I change. If I can't figure out with 100% certainty what they're trying to say, I just leave the verbal garbage that spewed out of their mouth as is. Ultimately, they are responsible for their own sloppiness, not us.

Similar Messages:

Comma Usage With "which"
Feb 05, 2010

Hello All, I wanted to know if I am using the corrective comma usage before "which". I know that some are considered "restrictive" and some "non-restrictive". I am having a real hard time deciphering when I should use a comma with "which".   Here is the sentence: " He presented recently to his medical doctor who obtained an MRI scan of this which revealed a 3 x 4-cm lobular mass, which was quite superficial basically at the level of the adductor tubercle." ...

To Comma Or Not To Comma, That Is The Question
Dec 03, 2011

Hi, Does a comma belong in this sentence? "The liver is enlarged and demonstrates diffuse increased echogenicity, consistent with fatty infiltration." -OR- "The liver is enlarged and demonstrates diffuse increased echogenicity consistent with fatty infiltration." Thanks! ...

Context Usage
Dec 04, 2009

Doctor states in labs "mucous membranes actually are somewhat dry." Should that be under examination? ...

Hyphen Usage Or Not
Nov 22, 2010

I am transcribing a report for orthopedic surgery. What is the correct way to transcribe chondromalacia grading? Is it grage 1 to 2 or grade 1-2 changes? I have myself confused as teachers always said in school that you use "to or through with numbers.  Thanks ...

Usage Of Nonicteric
Jul 01, 2012

Have one dictator who always uses sclerae nonicteric.  Is nonicteric acceptable these days?  Any feedback appreciated. ...

Apostrophe Usage
Dec 31, 2013

I need some advice on correct use of the apostrophe:OB ultrasounds at 8 and 20 weeks were normal.  (I think this is correct, no apostrophe needed)Pregnancy is at 38 weeks 2 days' gestation.  (I think this is correct)Full-term pregnancy at 38-3/7 weeks.  (I think this is correct, no apostrophe needed) ...

Data Usage
Feb 12, 2015

Does anyone use a Verizon connection? Do you know data usage for an 8 hour day? I do not have cable where I live. I currently use a Verizon air card that the hospital I'm employed by maintains. We got out sourced and now I need to set up my own connection and pay for it. However,  no one can tell me data usage so I can tell if the new job offered is going to be worth the expense.  ...

Word Usage
Apr 29, 2015

Which is correct?  No evidence of masses or tumors were felt.   OR No evidence of masses or tumors was felt.    I keep getting mixed up.  I want to say it is "were", but I actually think it is probably "was."  Help.   ...

A Question Of Grammar/usage
Sep 14, 2011

This has been bugging me for some time.  It's small, but like a thorn in my side.   When a doc is dictating and fails to use the article "of", should you insert it?  For example:  The patient remains off of antibiotic therapy.   The patient tells me she is of off oxygen therapy during the day.  All of the ulcer sites have improved The patient remains off (of) antibiotic therapy.  The patient tells me she is off (of) oxygen therapy during the day.& ...

Any Articles About Productivity Loss From EMR And VR Usage
May 24, 2011

Does anyone have any links to articles that explain the loss in productivity for physicians and their offices because they are wasting time with EHR/EMR's typing their own notes or spending way too much time editing their own voice recognition notes when they could be seeing more patients?  I have lost a few clients to VR systems and EHR/EMR systems because they think they will be more productive, when they actually lose money and time because of the loss in the number of patietns see ...

Epilepsy Drug. ESL. We Can Try S/l AP Tune (no Dose, But Says Something Like A 1-time Usage) Nm
Aug 11, 2014

Another clue, populated by VR as Pap June ...

Grammar - Quick Reference That simplifies The Usage Of the Prefix Intra Versus Inter
Sep 12, 2010

Does anyone have a cheat sheet or a quick reference that simplifies the usage of the prefix intra versus inter.  Thank you in advance....! ...

Comma Or No Comma!
Oct 17, 2009

PROCEDURE Total Thyroidectomy, complications bibasilar discoid atelecatasis with probable pneumonitis. Is there a comma, other punctuation or no punctuation?? Any and all help appreciated   ...

Comma/and
Feb 25, 2010

I'm just a little confused as to how to use comma/and combination?  apples, rasperries, and pears OR apples, rasperries and pears Recently I was told that "and" is the comma.  I thought the AHDI standard was comma before and.  ...

Need Comma Help
Mar 06, 2010

Hi everyone, No I'm not post happy, but I do have a few questions that I feel need to be answered. I am having a hard time with commas. When I did a transcription test (none medical) for a transcription service, I got my test back and it was all marked up and they said it was mostly punctuation errors, like commas. Can anyone suggest how I can overcome my comma problem so I don't fail anymore transcription service tests? I was really embarrassed to get my test back because it wasn� ...

Comma Help!
Mar 20, 2010

Past medical history includes a transient ischemic attack treated since that time with aspirin. Comma after attack?? I'm thinking no comma..... ...

Comma?
Jul 13, 2010

"Each time the hernia would protrude he would have significant discomfort." Do I need a comma betweed protrude and he?   ...

Comma With NOS
Dec 07, 2011

Mood Disorder NOS or Mood Disorder, NOS   Thanks! ...

Comma Or No Comma
Jul 25, 2012

When the sentence begins with "From _____ standpoint" - Should there be a comma after "standpoint?" From a cardiology standpoint, he is clear for surgery. OR From a cardiology standpoint he is clear for surgery. Thank you.   ...

Comma Or No Comma?
Sep 12, 2012

On 07/25/2012 the patient underwent whatever. On 07/25/2012, the patient underwent whatever. One QA says comma, another QA says no comma.  Can anyone reference this for me? Thx!!!!   ...

Comma In As Well As
Mar 20, 2013

Please advise on commas in "as well as".  I think it should only be one prior to like; "She is on some probiotics, as well as some natural hormone substitutes." Thanks! ...

Comma Help Thank You
May 03, 2013

On 05/03/13, I asked a question about using commas. On 05/03/13 I asked a question about using commas. Which one is correct? Thanks. ...

Comma Or Not?
Mar 20, 2014

The patient is a whatever-year-old male who was seen today for whatever.  OR The patient is a whatever-year-old male, who was seen today for whatever. ...

Comma Troubles
Jan 28, 2010

Doctor diagnosed tachycardia, atherosclerotic heart disease, post angioplasty for coronary heart disease, history of alcohol abuse, and asthma.  I'm confused... should there be a comma between disease and post angioplasty? Plz help.    ...

Thanks For All The Comma/and Help Family
Feb 27, 2010

Now I have another one:  first or 1st? First metatarsal, or 1st metatarsal First rib, or 1st rib When should you use first and when should you use 1st?  Thanks family! ...

Freakin Comma
Apr 06, 2010

I have a dictator who is on 100% QA.  I just had a chart returned to me because even though my QC said it was correct use of the comma, the dictator did not want the comma in there.  Ok, so now I will give him NO commas anywhere unless he says "comma."  For the love of God, can we EVER have a standard and consistent way of doing things and not let doctor so-and-so from here get this and doctor so-and-so from here get that. I guess I am just so OVER i ...

Comma Placement
Apr 12, 2011

I know a comma is to be placed after the year, i.e., On March 27, 2011, she underwent an operation.  But, what about when formatted this way?  3/27/2011?  Do you still place a comma after the year? TIA! ...

Comma After Since Phrase?
Nov 21, 2011

Since his last office visit, he has not had any..... OR Since his last office visit he has not had any.....    Comma or not after "since his last office visit" ?  Thanks! ...

Comma Quesiton
Apr 12, 2012

Hi, I am wondering if there is a comma after "overall" when it starts a sentence.  Any info would be appreciated.  ...

Comma Placement?
Apr 27, 2012

I get these types of sentences constantly and always question my comma placement. "We will see her back in the office following her injection and if she does not improve, we would consider surgical intervention at that time." My question is whether there should be a comma either before or after "and." I know a comma needs to separate 2 independent clauses but the introductory phrase in the second clause throws me off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) ...