A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

colonoscopy endoscopy - lg

Posted: Aug 03, 2011

Is there any reason why I *should* type BOTH "colonoscopy endoscopy"? Or should I just omit "endoscopy"? Yes, it's an ESL doc.

Is he saying anything in front of endoscopy, i.e., upper endoscopy? sometimes here upper endoscopy - and colonoscopy as 2 different exams

[ In Reply To ..]

agree- endoscopy usually not referring to colonoscopy - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

yes, you should type both - they are two different procedures

[ In Reply To ..]
if in doubt, give us the entire sentence so we can see what the issue is.

Just to clear this up for the OP - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
An endoscopy is literally just "looking inside". It can be an upper endoscopy- what most consider an EGD if there has been no surgery changing the anatomy and it can be a lower endoscopy which is usually referring to a colonoscopy. Some doctors never say upper or lower endoscopy; some doctors never say EGD or colonoscopy.

The only way to know what he means is in context. If he sees stomach and ileum, he's doing an AND. If only one or the other, he is just one of those guys who is redundant, like colonic colon polyps.

great point - well said

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks all! Sentence is... - lg
[ In Reply To ..]
That was "dictator from H-E-double-toothpicks" day. Below is what was returned from QA. (I actually got kudos for doing as well as I did as a 2-wk-old newbie. QA acknowledged this was our absolute worst dictator.)

SENTENCE: She is still due to get an endoscopy, colonoscopy for workup of weight loss and iron deficiency anemia.

Similar Messages:

During A Colonoscopy/endoscopy..."Possible Gastro Preocism"....??
Dec 08, 2011

Note from November 1 for a combined colonoscopy and endoscopy. It documents postoperative diagnoses of: 1. Multiple sequel diverticula. 2. Suboptimal colonic prep. 3. Mild gastritis. 4. SOUNDS LIKE "Probable gastro preocism" PLEASE HELP! The only thing I am coming up with that remotely makes sense is Probable gastral, preexisting. ??? ...

Upper Endoscopy Word S/l Billa
Nov 17, 2010

Stomach _________ was remarkable only for some minimal suggestion of antral gastritis with hyperemia and focal hypervascularity. He speaks perfectly clear English, so it's not the b/v switcheroo.  I've had no luck in word books, anatomy books, or Google. ...

Upper Endoscopy - Surgical Lumen?
Mar 16, 2011

We also proceeded with an upper endoscopy as well.  Upper endoscopy showed that her gastric remnant only had mild nonspecific erythema.  I explored the surgical (lumen) and found that this was completely normal. FYI- The pt also has a history of gastric resection and a known surgical anastomosis, but the word in question is not anastomosis. It s/l lumen or limb or lamen. Any ideas? Thanks.  ...

Colonoscopy - Translumen
Sep 01, 2010

I am transcribing a colonoscopy report and the doctor states, "...The cecum was reached and identified.  The light translumen in the right lower quadrant.  The ileocecal valve was noted." I am having a hard time hearing, "The light translumen in the right lower quadrant."  The light translumen is the difficult part to hear.  This doesn't make sense to me.  Could this be correct? (P.S.- he typically leaves verbs out, so it could be - was in the right lower quadran ...

Colonoscopy - Mucopurulent ?
Nov 15, 2010

"Examination of the colon revealed mild colitis characterized by tiny mucopurulent (spots) in the transverse and descending colon." The word he uses acutally sounds like spock.  Could be spots but I just want to see if anyone knows something different? Thanks. ...

Colonoscopy Classification
Nov 29, 2011

In a colonoscopy report, doc is dictating, s/l ? body I, ASA II.  I know about the ASA classification, but not sure about the other.  Thanks! ...

Let's Code A Colonoscopy Dilemma!
Apr 22, 2010

Op report reason:  Screening and Diarrhea.  Colonoscopy done, polyp found and removed.  The reason for the colonoscopy is both Screening and Diarrhea.  In fact, doc documents prime reason for colonoscopy is screening and second reason diarrhea.  What is the diagnosis code for this?  If a coder has to code by the documentation and the doctor's final answer is that it is for both a screening and for diarrhea, what is a coder to do?&n ...

Biopsy Forceps In Colonoscopy
Sep 20, 2011

Dictated:  there was a small polyp in the cecum which was removed using large s/l bodding biopsy forceps. bodding, body-and, biting, bodine... I hear the 'b' at the start, the 't' or 'd' in the middle, and 'ing' or 'ine' on the end.     Any suggestions?  Thanks! ...

Fentanyl 50 Mg For A Colonoscopy - Shouldn't It Be Mcg?
Jun 08, 2012

nm ...

Colonoscopy Report Question
Jul 15, 2012

Colonoscopy. The endoscope was advanced through the "Bowels of Houston." Thank you for any help. Jolly MT. ...

Colonoscopy - Small Polyp That Was S/l Fil/der/ated ?? No Msg. Tx
Mar 01, 2013

x ...

Colonoscopy Showing Active Colitis Along With A Transverse Descending Sigmoid And Rectum Biopsies Of
Oct 22, 2011

nm ...

Endoscopy Showed "CMI" Of 42 Cm.
Aug 22, 2012

Endoscopy showed findings of moderate stenosis extending from 40 to 43 cm, with a "ZMI" of 42 cm with friable esophageal tissue with associated blood clot proximal to this region. ...

Colonoscopy - S/L "movie" Prep??
Jan 19, 2010

"Movie" prep for colonoscopy? ...