A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Sclera/sclerae, conjunctiva/conjunctivae? - Vikefantam

Posted: Feb 06, 2010

For sclera/sclerae and conjunctiva/conjunctivae, what do you type for the eye exam?  Do you only type then in the pleural form if the doctor says it that way?  Do you automatically make then pleural?  This one is confusing because generally, they're examining both eyes unless the patient just happens to be missing one and I would think they'd mention that, so shouldn't it always be pleural?  Just curious. 

I would use pleural... - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
Like you said, unless specifically states left eye exam or something, I would use the pleural form.

The same for this example:
Chest exam: Breasts symmetrical.
(You would not say breast symmetrical).

Eyes - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I always assume both eyes unless dictator is specific that it's just one eye.

Ah, but they do - Vikefan

[ In Reply To ..]
I've heard "breast symmetrical". Mostly it's just laziness, sometimes it's an ESL issue. I love things like "the patient had pain in the bilateral lower extremity" and TM clear. One of my favorites is X-rays. "X-rays were done today and were reviewed and shows......" Take out all but the first and last word and tell me how that makes sense?

my favorite - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
when they say "respiration 16." okay, one respiration? Then what happened?
what they say - what we hear
[ In Reply To ..]
You don't think maybe you're missing the terminal "s" in respirations because of the initial "s" in 16?

Say it out loud.
Respirations 16.
Respiration 16.

Think about it.

what they say - what we hear

[ In Reply To ..]
You don't think maybe you're missing the terminal "s" in breasts because of the initial "s" in symmetrical?

Say it out loud.
Breasts symmetrical.
Breast symmetrical.

Think about it.

Always plural unless specified left/right - DRH

[ In Reply To ..]
If it's general HEENT exam, then conjunctivae/sclerae. Unless they specify left/right and focus on one eye at a time (you will know when they do).

I would never use pleural, pleural is for the lungs only! - plUral

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Sclera/sclerae..
Jul 04, 2013

Eyes:  Sclera is white without injection or icterus.  Sclera are white....Slclerae are white?  Sclerae is white..?    Help please?  Doctor is referring to the whites of both eyes.  They way he is saying it doesn't sound correct to me.  Apparently a lot of people have a question about this because I am finding numerous answers to this and they are all different.  ...

Sclerae
Sep 18, 2013

Is it preferred to type "is" or "are" in the sentence "sclerae are/is anicteric"? ...

Campo? Campal? Folds Of Conjunctiva
Sep 18, 2013

Pterygium removal.  "Two sutures of 9-0 Vicryl were placed in mattress fashion through the conjunctiva and episclera inferior and superior in order to draw the conjunctiva forward without distorting the *campo* folds of the conjunctiva." ...

Has Normal Appearing Lids, S/l Sarine, Conjunctiva
Jan 13, 2010

On physical exam, doc states: Has normal appearing lids, s/l sarine, conjunctivae. what is s/l sarine? ...

Sclera Is ? Injected. Sounds Like Pointly Or Flantly???
Sep 17, 2010

Any help appreciated, thanks! ...

The Sclerae Were/was White? (just Checking)
Feb 23, 2011

. ...