A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Sclerae - Jules

Posted: Sep 18, 2013

Is it preferred to type "is" or "are" in the sentence "sclerae are/is anicteric"?

Sclera/sclerae. SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Sclerae is plural, so sclerae are anicteric. Sclera is singular, so if you are certain only 1 eye is being examined (person only has 1 eye), then would be sclera is. You can always check whether a word is singular or plural in your medical dictionary to guide you in which verb tense to use.

preference has nothing to do with the choice - dont feed the students

[ In Reply To ..]
Subject and verb have to agree and that should have been taught in elementary school.

Yes, you are correct, mostly...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
but I will help out as I see fit and for whom I see fit. Of course, this is very basic grammar. That's why I suggest looking to see if a word is singular or plural (like, hey, crack open a dictionary why dontcha).
absolutely, but it's insulting whey they lie and say - they checked the BOS
[ In Reply To ..]
and can't find an answer. I wholeheartedly agree with book cracking. They stopped getting answers on the word board and figured they would get people who didn't mind the lies on the main board.
the OP didn't say that, however - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Sclera/sclerae..
Jul 04, 2013

Eyes:  Sclera is white without injection or icterus.  Sclera are white....Slclerae are white?  Sclerae is white..?    Help please?  Doctor is referring to the whites of both eyes.  They way he is saying it doesn't sound correct to me.  Apparently a lot of people have a question about this because I am finding numerous answers to this and they are all different.  ...

The Sclerae Were/was White? (just Checking)
Feb 23, 2011

. ...

Sclera/sclerae, Conjunctiva/conjunctivae?
Feb 06, 2010

For sclera/sclerae and conjunctiva/conjunctivae, what do you type for the eye exam?  Do you only type then in the pleural form if the doctor says it that way?  Do you automatically make then pleural?  This one is confusing because generally, they're examining both eyes unless the patient just happens to be missing one and I would think they'd mention that, so shouldn't it always be pleural?  Just curious.  ...