A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

NIL pronounced "NILE"? - gms

Posted: Feb 18, 2014

Dictator has an accent, so not sure on pronunciation.  From cardiovascular lab report:

There was Nil turbulence and anterograde color flow across the valve.  The mitral regurgitation was assessed to be Nil.  

Is this a real word?  Any idea what it means?  Does he mean "nil" pronounced "nil" as in "none"?  The accent is thick....

Thanks!

sigh - it's an English language word meaning - no value - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
There was "no" turbulence....assessed to be "nothing."

Context is the key to figuring this out.

Um, I think she knew the meaning - of nil

[ In Reply To ..]
Reading comprehension is the key. Sigh

nil is not pronounced nile - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Could he mean "mild"? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Some foreigners pronounce Is like Es and Es like Is.

I found a link (hardly definitive) sm - anemone

[ In Reply To ..]
"" A standard echocardiography report is often very confusing or confronting to ... the stenosis or regurgitation falls into the nil/mild or moderate/severe categories.""

I was thinking he might saying be "null" but could it be nil/mild?

I'd probably ask for a sample, or stick with "nil"

agree with mild - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

mild already rhymes with nile - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

West Nile Virus Treatment? (sm)
Feb 16, 2011

The patient is in a s/l *total shell* with a headrest secondary to West Nile virus, some neuromotor dysfunction, but no acute changes. This is mentioned in the HEENT exam on a discharge, not the reason the pt was admitted so have nothing else to go by and no other notes mention anything. He is just mumbling his way through this whole thing (new PA) and I cannot quite get what he is meaning, the "t" sound and "shell" are the only clear sounding parts, and googling with West Nile virus and h ...

Surbridement? Pronounced Very Clearly, But Google Has Not
May 20, 2010

The sentence is "We did start her on Collagenase Sanyl to the necrotic tissue after sharp s/l surbridement.  If that's a word, why is it not used to where google would hear of it?  Has anyone heard of it? ...

Incorrectly Pronounced Medications
Apr 20, 2015

How many of you leave blanks when medications are not pronounced correctly? Or fill in because you are sure of what medication it is supposed to be? I've seen QC and QA fill in the medication when it was badly mispronounced. Example: Methylprednisone for methylprednisolone (there is no methylprednisone).   ...

Change From R-CHOP To S/l R-EPA (pronounced With A Long E, Like Eeepa
Aug 12, 2010

no other info given, tia ...

I Am VERY Tempted To Type Verbatim As Pronounced By This Twit NP
Jun 08, 2015

nm ...

S/l "ficel" Injury Of The Ankle. Pronounced "fy-sel" Any Ideas? Thanks, Nm
May 01, 2015

nm ...