A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

CPAP and BiPAP - sm

Posted: Nov 07, 2009

This doctor seems to use the terms CPAP and BiPAP almost interchangeably for the same patients.  I assumed this was just a mistake on his part, but now he mentions them both in one sentence.  Can both CPAP and BiPAP be used at the same time?  Thanks. 

example(s) please - je suis MT

[ In Reply To ..]
As you probably already know, in CPAP, the "C" is for "continuous", meaning the device delivers air at a fixed pressure.

In BiPAP, the "Bi" is for "bilevel", wherein the machine delivers air (measured in cmH2O) at one pressure during inspiration, and the pressure drops during exhalation.

Bottom line, the terms themselves are not interchangeable. However, there may be delivery devices that can work in either mode.

Alternatively, if the physician is dictating a therapeutic study, both modalities may have been used for treatment.

Can you give examples of the dicatation?

Similar Messages:

How Is Prescription For BIPap Written
Dec 15, 2012

Patient has ALS with significant respiratory involvement.  Prescription was for BiPap at 8 04 pressure.  How should this be written?  Is it 804, 8:04 or some other way these prescriptions are written? Thanks for your help. ...

CPAP Machine
Dec 17, 2009

I have a patient with sleep apnea and the doctor states the pateint will need a "break" CPAP at home.  The only other thing it sounds like is a "brick" CPAP.  I don't think it's either, but definitely not brick.  I've done an extensive Google search so danged many times today with all of the crappy docs I've had, and I am so sick of Google, I could just about rip my computer off my desk and smash it against the wall.  Either that, ...

CPAP Machine S/l En-hence...
Dec 19, 2009

He has a history of sleep apnea and uses a CPAP machine _____ (s/l en-hence). Help? ...

How Do You Type CPAP ???
Jan 26, 2010

x ...

CPAP Cm Of Pressure
Dec 04, 2012

When doing CPAP titrations, Dr states "CPAP was initiated at 4 cm of pressure".  I have seen different ways to transcribe this, either as written or 4 cm/H2O.  Which is correct?  ...

She Can Return The Emergency Room Or CPAP?
Sep 07, 2011

Ok, I've been getting a lot of doctors saying this. That patients can go to/return to what s/l CPAP (see pap).   Is this correct? I'm not sure if it's a nickname for another local facility either. I have a list of commonly referred to places for this client and nothing like CPAP is on there.  Just curious. ...