A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

VR question...accidentally activated something - SadToLeaveMT

Posted: Aug 10, 2011

To make a LONG story as short as possible... 

Background info: I am an MT who works from home for a hospital. I have full-time employee status, and we do have a Union.  After several years of working onsite, I finally started working from home in May of this year. I am not a "Medical Records" MT. I was/am considered a "specialized" MT as I was hired to transcribe for two different specialties (20 hours each week for both specialties). Last year, one of the specialties decided to outsource their transcription (much to the chagrin of the physicians) at all branches. ALL of the MTs who did this specialty FT at the other branches were laid off. I was the only MT who was not laid off, I believe, for two reasons... (1) The fact that I still had the 20 hours for the other specialty, and (2) the Union.  Through Union negotiations, we were able to change the position to a FT position for the one specialty, which is/was an extremely busy practice with enough work for a FT position. In fact, because the practice was so busy and I was/am the ONLY MT for the practice and was only given 20 hours per week for the position (including doing mailings for all reports), I was asked to try and keep the reports within a 2-week window from the date of dictation. I was also allowed to do OT if I chose to, AND the Medical Records MTs also helped with the reports because of the amount of work in the queue at any given time. Not once in over 4 years of working onsite was the queue ever empty. 

After being home for the position full time for only 1 month, I began running out of work, with some weeks being as low as 18 hours per week!  I kept track of all information before I got home for the entire time onsite (average number of dictations per day/week, average line count per report), and according to the hospital's own standards, the position was beyond a FT position before I began doing it FT from home.   

Onto my question...

While I was transcribing a few weeks ago, I apparently activated something somehow, and I heard a "computerized" voice saying everything the dictator had just said/everything that I had just typed.  I am a "straight" MT who has never dealt with VR/editing. My guess is that the system is automatically being utilized (even if the physician may be unaware) for comparison or even training purposes-- sort of like building a collection of dictations for each physician/dictator so that when the time comes for them to really begin training on VR, the transition is easier.  

Is there anyone out there who has had this experience of the "computerized voice" coming on while transcribing? Are my above ideas on track with this? 

Having the Union most certainly helps, but I do realize that it's just a matter of time before the position ends. We have a meeting scheduled for this Friday to try and get some straight answers as to where the work has gone. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SadToLeaveMT

I hope someone can help with your question - Jane

[ In Reply To ..]
Because I would sure like to know the answer myself. I've been running out of work ever since Nuance bought the company I worked for and has sent the last two accounts I was on to their "overseas team" once the client was happy and VR was up and running smoothly on those accounts. I hope that is not happening with you. I will watch your post. I think what is happening to you is important for us all to know because there is so much going on in the MT industry and MTSOs are mum to the changes they do and the MT is always the last to find out anymoe and then it seems to always be with few to no lines and little to no work. MTSOs are so unfair anymore, maybe not all, but many. Good luck to you.

Thanks, Jane - SadToLeaveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry about your situation with Nuance. I very naively thought that being an "employee" meant that I would not be subjected to "watching the queue" for work to appear. While I am able to collect UE for the hours missed, I am making less money getting "partial" unemployment and some work than if I were to collect full benefits.

Again, I'm so sorry for the situation you are in as well. I LOVE being an MT, and it pains me so much to say this, but... I think MTs everywhere need to start seriously thinking about their "Plan B."

Accidentally Activated - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Is it possible that you accidentally turned on the speech recognition program that came with your computer? I've done that by holding down my spacebar too long (Windows XP Pro). You can check under control panel and see if there is a Speech heading there.

Thanks. I suppose that's a possibility.. however, - SadToLeaveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Is that really all it takes to begin speech activation...something as simple as holding down the spacebar for too long? I know that the ER is currently using VR, and I believe the Radiology Dept. is heading in this direction very soon. Combine this with my sudden decrease in work... and I'm afraid they may already be in the process of "training" the system.

Thanks so much for your reply.
SadToLeaveMT

possibility.. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I have never used the program that came with my computer, so unsure how it functions. However, it would seem odd to me that you, on a user level, would be able to "turn on" your hospital's speech recognition software. Would think only a system administrator would have the capability to do that. Since other departments are already using it though, sad to say it does sound like they are, in fact, "training". Hope that is not the case for you.

My pocketbook has taken a huge hit from speech recognition, you have my sympathies.
Thanks, anon... - SadToLeaveMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry to hear about your situation as well... I hope things pick up for you or you have the ability to move on.

As far as my being able to accidentally turn on the VR... I think it was some sort of glitch in the system- a glitch that I'm sure I was not supposed to be "privy" to...

Take Care,
SadToLeaveMT

It is true that VR is implemented like you suggest. - Without the docs knowing it.

[ In Reply To ..]
Physicians do not need to know they are on VR, and the computer gathers their voice profile by doing that initially, before it is implemented. I am not sure about the "computer voice" thing.

VR is slow to replace MTs completely since they still have to be proofed. The EPIC hospital system is a direct threat because it uses informating that is already in the computer (established diagnoses, lab values, imaging findings, allergies, medications, etc., to create most of the report for the physician, and all the physician has to dictate is history, new diagnoses, and plan. No typing of the other info is needed at all.

Unions can't ultimately do anything about this, especially if you don't have the skills to move into the new technology, and unions have lost virtually all power in our current economy. If they want you gone, nothing can help you because HR departments are now adept at finding reasons to let you go anyway. At our hospital, they changed the production requirements and ramped up the quality requirements all at once, so it was impossible to do one without failing in the other. A lot of good people lost their jobs, and we were union, too. Sometimes, the union is bought out by Administration, so they turn a blind eye to what is going on. It's all politics and the bottom line (money), nothing personal. But that is the problem with it all.

PS: The fact that you are at home now renders you a - non-entity, to easily let go.

[ In Reply To ..]
I was recently reading in the Wall Street Journal that if you telecommute, you should stop doing that if you plan to keep your job in the new economy. You need to be a visible person on the job so that they have to see you and realize you are a person.

Telecommuting was one of the way to lose your job in this economy in the opinion of that author.

I would agree with that. Telecommuting has hastened - the downfall of MT as a profession. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Just Got Email Saying DQS 7 Will Be Activated For My...sm
Mar 09, 2012

accounts effective March 19th and tutorials need to be completed no later than Tuesday, 3/13.  So, I just completed tutes and entered the allotted 1-1/2 hours of training time to Teamwork.    OMG, I will never remember all of this stuff.  Some key-combination commands remain the same, some have changed to do other things, and some new ones have been added.  I automatically hit certain key commands without even thinking, so now every key stroke will have to be thought a ...

Help Please! I Accidentally Turned Off
Feb 25, 2013

the capitalize first letter of each sentence function. I don't know how I did it or I could probably turn it back on. ...

Ugh, I Just Accidentally Hit A Key Combo That
Feb 21, 2015

report to upload.  I hope that automatically pends to QC so it doesn't go to the client like that.  To the QC who gets this report...I apologize!  I hope you don't have to edit the report--hopefully you can send it right back to me?  I alerted my TSM in Spark and he just said "don't worry it will autopend."  ...

Help!!!! I Accidentally Turned Expanders Off!!!
Nov 19, 2009

I cannot find anything on this junk desk!!!!!  Please help!!! ...

I Accidentally Deleted Alt+A, Add To Dictionary.
May 16, 2011

I was working on some macros and needed a command for changing text to Arial 11.  I'm thinking "hmmmm, Arial, A." Let's make it Alt+A.  Does it tell me that's already assigned to something?  Nooooooo.  I totally forgot it's part of the spell checker commands.  So now, when I do spell checks, I don't have the option to add words to the dictionary.  How do I get Alt+A back to it's original state?  I deleted the macro I'd made, ...

How Is Accidentally Omitting The DOS In The ADT A Critical Error?
May 14, 2012

x ...

My Doctor Accidentally Encrypted His Dictation
Sep 04, 2014

Hi I posted this once but not sure if it went through.  I use Olympus Transcriptoin Kit and can usually transcribe any type of voice file by dragging it into the system.  One of my doctors accidentally encrypted his dictation and now my transcription module asks me for a password to decrypt it.  The problem being of course he doesn't even know how he did that and I am not sure how to get this encrypted from here. I don't think I can do it on my end and to ask him to figu ...

Prevent Accidentally Saving Over Template
May 10, 2015

I have tried to train my brain to use Save As to prevent saving over my templates but I still save over them all too often.  I am using Instant Text but still don't have shortcuts for a lot of my doctors in there yet.  Any advice is much appreciated. ...

Help, I Accidentally Turned On The Huge ADT Box At The Top Of The Report And Don't Remember How
May 31, 2011

off.  Thx. ...

HIPAA Violation? My HMO's Records Dept Accidentally Sent
Jan 10, 2015

instead of my own.  I called and told the person (it was the exact person that I had send the records)  and he acted like it was no big deal -- he just goes, "oh could you bring that back here today?"  Of course I will bring them back, but I think it was funny how he made it seem like there was nothing wrong with the scenario.  He probably thought I had no idea about HIPAA.  ...