A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Ergonomic Keyboards - Long-time Transcriptionist

Posted: Jan 28, 2012

I have been a transcriptionist for quite some time and have used the Microsoft Elite Ergonomic Keyboard and have tried two new replacements but for some reason with the newer version of this brand the keys are really hard to touch.  Has anyone used a split keyboard such as the Kinesis or Gold Touch?  I am looking at spending more on something that is of better quality and soft touch on the keys due to shoulder problems.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! 

Kinesis Split Keyboard - greenie

[ In Reply To ..]
Hello...I have used the Kinesis split keyboard now for over ten years or better. I cannot type on a regular keyboard. My carpal tunnel is almost nonexistent since I started using this keyboard. It took about a week of getting use to the "split", but you can push it together and lay it flat if you want to. Do yourself a favor and try it. I bought the Gold Touch also, but that is in my closet. Just didn't work for me. (If you're interested in a deal, email me). I really recommend a split keyboard, and the Kinesis is a very soft touch and the keys are quiet. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

I LOVE my Kinesis Freestyle! - Bilboa

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been using it for 4-5 years now and I LOVE it! I needed a truly split keyboard because even a Microsoft Natural was rough on my shoulders. Before buying the Freestyle, I tried another major brand -- now I can't recall the name, but it was the one with a third optional section that is a numeric keypad. The touch on that thing was ROCK hard!!! I couldn't believe they stayed in business (and maybe they didn't -- Googling around, I expected to bump right into them, but I'm not finding 'em). The Kinesis was like coming out of a dark cave into the sunshine! Nice, light touch, good feel, no more shoulder pain. Takes some serious getting used to the Home, Delete, and arrow key locations -- they're VERY different -- but once you manage that, it's a dream!

Kinesis - Long-Time Transcriptionist

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I would be interested in hearing about where you purchased your Kinesis Keyboard, if you wouldn't mind sending an email to me, so that I can email you back. I appreciate your help!

Kinesis - Greenie

[ In Reply To ..]
Long-time MT, I cannot email you. There is no option to answer you by email. Try Kinesis.Com. or just Google ergonomic keyboards, some other sites sell them too. If you can email me, I will answer any questions. Hope this helps.

Similar Messages:

Ergonomic Keyboards And Speed
Aug 25, 2011

I'm switching up my office stuff and i'm thinking about getting an ergonomic keyboard. I have been typing on a laptop and every once in a while my hands cramp up. I was just wondering if anyone had a learning curve with the ergo keyboard and if it slowed down their production at all. Thanks! :) ...

Ergonomic Keyboard
Feb 28, 2011

Anyone know of a good ergonomic keyboard.   My old faithful Logitech needs relacing and I can't find it anymore. ...

What's Your Fave Ergonomic Keyboard
Jul 31, 2010

Well I just spent a load of $ on a fancy-schmancy ergonomic Goldtouch keyboard, and I like the layout, EXCEPT that after a month, the keys are hard and gluey-feeling. It was supposed to have a very "light touch." The space bar on the right side sticks constantly and I have to hit it so hard with my thumb, my hand is starting to hurt. What is your favorite ergonomic keyboard? I still remember a wonderful soft springy Compaq keyboard that I loved, until my coworker worked at my desk one ...

Ergonomic Kneeling Chairs - Anyone Tried One?
Jun 05, 2012

Hello - My knees are a bit sensitive and I'm wondering if anyone out there who also has sensitive knees has ever tried one of these kneeling office chairs.  They're supposed to be quite good for the back and posture, though as I said, I'm a wee concerned about the knees. Anyone?  Thanks so much in advance. ...

Old Keyboards
Dec 12, 2009

Does anyone know of an adapter that can be used on the old IBM "clacky" keyboards to convert it to a USB connection?  I know there are adapters out there but I can't find one for these keyboards.  The "end piece" is large round and the regular keyboards have the smaller round connection.  you can get adapters for them but I can't find one with the bigger adapter hole and then the USB connector.  I would LOVE LOVE to find an adapter so I can use the old IBM keyboard. ...

"Quiet' Ergonomic Keyboard
Mar 18, 2010

I am currently using a Microsoft Natural 7000 keyboard.  The space bar is getting more and more difficult to press (sticking), so I am looking to purchase a new one.  I would prefer something where the keys type a little quieter and also one that is a lighter color (not black).  Does anyone have any recommendations that are not extremely high priced?  Thanks! ...

Dell Keyboards
Oct 12, 2009

Is it true that the letters on the Dell keyboards never wear off? ...

Question On Keyboards
Jan 15, 2011

I presently have a keyboard that is USB, and the insert, delete, home, end, page up and page down are in groups of 2 keys top and bottom, 3 across. When I purchased my new HP computer, I noticed the keyboard that came with it was a USB, but the now the insert key is up with the pause/break key in the same line as the hot keys (F) and the home, delete, end, page up, page down are now 2 columns of 3 top and bottom. The delete key takes up two space keys. I have been using the former one for all m ...

Logitech Keyboards
Mar 24, 2011

I recently started having some issues with my Logitech wireless keyboard where it was getting harder to press down on the keys.  I recently moved and when I got everything set up I noticed that the touch seemed to be different.  Shook the keyboard out, took a damp cloth and wiped the keyboard down, etc and still seems to be "different."  I called Logitech this morning and explained what was going on and they are replacing the keyboard free of charge and apparently, you do not have ...

Gloves And Keyboards
Sep 21, 2011

I have a two-fold question here.  Has anyone tried the arthritis gloves from transcripotion gear that are designed to keep your hands warm in the winter (sorry to say that awful word but it is coming), and the stiffness when I am cold is very hard to take in terms of speed and loosening up.  Second fold, has anyone tried the mechanical keyboards?  The ones that area not the "soft touch" and actually make a clicking sound?  The only ones I am finding are ones for "gamers" ...

Ergonomic Saddle Chair/stoor With Arms
Nov 05, 2012

I am looking for an ergonimic chair/saddle stool with a back or arms to buy.  They are very pricey new, but I thought to see if anyone has one that just did not work out for them here.  If you have one and can send me pictures and my basic deal is I am very short and need one that the seat will adjust pretty low/ ie in the neighborhood of 16 inch height I would like to hear from you.  Thanks ...

Looking For One Of Those Clickety-click Keyboards (sm)
Jun 09, 2010

I really like the old style keyboards with the metal contacts and springs, rather than the soft touch keyboards with silicon contacts and rubber (but with a USB plug). I've looked at Office Depot, Staples and Best Buy - no one has them.  Anybody else like those? and do you have any suggestions on where they can be found?   ...

No Matter How Many Keyboards I Try (and I Have A Stack Of 'em)
Jul 17, 2011

What's your favorite keyboard to use to transcribe?  My recent experiment, a multimedia Apevia, which by the way is a piece of junk!  But it was blue and pretty, so I bought it.  I am always trying to find a better keyboard, but none beat my Saitek!  Big letters, spacious keyboard (I have a bit of a wide hand), and lots of fun stuff like background lighting.  Oh, and my company blocks all install (.exe) so my work computer didn't even recognize it........NEXT ...

Can We Use Our Personal Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard And Mouse With MQs Computer?nm
Feb 20, 2011

nm ...

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 - Source?
Nov 14, 2013

Anyone know where I can get a new Microsoft Natural Ergo Keyboard 4000  for under $37.  Checked eBay, Google and Google shopping.    Thanks! ...

Wireless Keyboards For Work - Thoughts?
Nov 21, 2010

I just got a wireless mouse as a gift and absolutely love it, however it does use batteries and I'm unsure how often I'll have to replace them due to being on the computer for long hours working.  I would love to get a wireless keyboard as well (two less cords to trip over, lol), and am would appreciate input from other MTs who have used them.  Are they just as responsive as wired keyboards, have long battery life, etc.?  Some of them are a tad expensive, so I'm uns ...

Gaming Keyboards/keypads Question
May 05, 2011

I was looking for gaming keyboards, since quite a few people are saying how much better they are for doing SR.  All of the ones I've seen have a standard layout, but I use an ergo board.  Has anyone just added a gaming keypad to their current setup, and does it have enough programmable command keys to make it worthwhile?  They sell for about half the price of the gaming keyboard. ...

Carpal Tunnel & Ergo Keyboards
Nov 12, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has tried either the Kinesis contoured, Kinesis Freestyle, Goldtouch, or SafeType keyboards. I am using a Microsoft ergo split keyboard now, but I am having more and more pain and numb/weird feelings in my arms and hands. It's getting to the point where I am having a lot of difficulty typing. I definitely need to invest in a more high-end ergo keyboard, but they are quite expensive and I am not sure which one would be best. Just looking for any experiences and pro ...

Anyone Used Trackball Or Touch Pad Keyboards For Editing?
May 17, 2014

I'm so sick of having my right hand have to bounce back and forth from trackball to home keys, and arrow keys back to home keys it is much slower than transcription.  I also lose time having to constantly stop and feel for the home key position.  I did a search for keyboards and found two that have the trackball or touch pad in the middle lower portion of the keyboard so you can do what used to be mouse work with your thumbs and it looks like your fingers don't have to leave ...

Wave Keyboard Versus Ergonomic Split Keyboard
Apr 10, 2010

I was wondering if someone could tell me how using a wave keyboard compares to a split ergonomic keyboard.  Is the wave as comfortable to use?  TIA! ...