A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How can a doctor say "benign prostatic hypertension" ..... - HangingInThere

Posted: Mar 28, 2015

How can a doctor say "benign prostatic hypertension" but yet I am penalized for transcribing "on Doppler" because someone is claiming it was dictated "by Doppler". The standards of healthcare across the board have horribly declined if the word "on" is what they are choosing as a focal point. I mean really, which one constitutes a patient safety issue? As a a potential patient someday or having someone near and dear to me who may potentially be a patient someday, this is seriously concerning. If there is true concerned about patient safety, then all healthcare professionals would be scrutinized for real errors especially those who received almost a decade of higher education.

Points - SadMT

[ In Reply To ..]
It is completely nonsensical how this works.

Given how we are marked off for the most insignificant of errors, I really think we ought to have some bonus points tacked on for every doctor error we fix that positively impacts patient care. I know that will never happen, but it really should. I've toyed with the idea of keeping a log of these sorts of errors I'm fixing and sending it after about a month of keeping track. Again, I know nothing would come of it, but it would give me a bit of a thrill to point out just how much it happens.

Dictator misspeak - Disappointed

[ In Reply To ..]
I know, right ? I've got a hematologist/oncologist who consistently dictates the drug cisplatin as "cisplatinum" and that's in his area of specialty for cryin' out loud. I do like the idea of MTs getting extra "points" for correcting dictator's errors like these !

I think I type that oncologist too! - mm

[ In Reply To ..]
ZL?

Cisplatinum is not incorrect ... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
See the link below from the company that makes it.

I had that dictator this morning! - bj

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought I was losing my mind, even spending way too much time doing research, even though I know the correct name is cisplatin. I changed all of the instances of "cisplantinum," but I'm sure they will come back as errors for not typing as dictated.

Cisplatinum is NOT an error - Sheesh!

[ In Reply To ..]
They will come back as errors because THEY ARE ERRORS.

If he says cisplatinum, give him cisplatinum. IT IS NOT WRONG.

Please, google it if you don't know. Drugs have more than one name.

This is not his fault or your QA's fault. You are bringing this upon yourself.

sadly, it's a reflection - of the caliber

[ In Reply To ..]
Of person doing the penalizing, maybe someone who has not done MT or someone desperate to keep their job in middle management that they follow any direction without thinking.

Or maybe..... - HangingInThere

[ In Reply To ..]
Or maybe realizing the unethical nature of allowing those errors to slide while discipline is given for errors that do not have an impact. I completely understand that dictators are human and make errors and have difficult jobs and put in long hours. But some professionals should not be able to make errors while others are penalized. I guess ethics is a dying breed as well. Turning a blind eye for those who pay you as opposed to disciplining those who are on your payroll is unethical. An error is an error regardless of who makes it.

Neither has an impact on patient safety - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Neither has an impact on patient safety. Physicians who read "prostatic" in this context will interpret it as what it should be. It is just a misspelling in a three-word diagnosis, after all. They are not so stupid that they will seriously think it is hypertension of the prostate. They - including the guy who said it - will just blame it on the MT.

The only thing that on/by affects is the SR engine, and that is why your company harps on it. Every time you do not type verbatim, it screws up the SR.

Before someone says it, neither could cause a coding error.

Harping - SadMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder why they harp on it (reduce pay) so much for a straight typing account? No screwing up of the SR in that situation, yet it is harped on.

It seems like we get a lot of blame - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It's easy to blame us, we're just nameless, faceless entities who have no way to speak up for ourselves. We listen to so many doctor errors day in and day out. We're not the ones who went to medical school, but we are expected to know expected lab values and drug dosages and so much more. But we're the ones making minimum wage and having our pay cut for not catching those errors.

Wow, what's up with all the dislikes of this post? - I completely agree with you

[ In Reply To ..]
Especially the part about the only reason the company seemingly cares about stupid like mistakes that DO NOT affect patient care is that you are messing up the SR. If they could really have it their way, they would ask us to type EXACTLY what the doctor says, NOT correcting tense, obvious he/she errors, incorrect medical words, and the like. THAT way the SR would really get trained fast and they could then try to get rid of all the MTs even sooner.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...PATIENT SAFETY MY A** !!!

Similar Messages:

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
Nov 12, 2010

The dictator s/l he is saying: the patient is a 71-year-old male with a history of increased frequency, urgency, and [blank] score of 27. I sounds like CAPRA score of 27.  But CAPRA is not in the BOS, but I can find it on the internet google. Please help if possible. ...

Urinary Retention With Sensation Of S/l Urulum Prostatic Dur Itro Stent
Feb 04, 2010

I'm lost on this one!! Urinary retention with sensation of s/l urulum prostatic dur itro stent ...

"catherone" Exercises For Benign Pos. Vertigo (nm)
Sep 08, 2010

x ...

Hypertension Med
Sep 13, 2010

Any ideas on a hypertension med that comes in 30 mg? Hypertension. Lasix 40 mg orally daily, metoprolol 100 mg twice a day, s/l nafrovit 30 mg orally daily, hydralazine 50 mg three times a day. ...

Hypertension Duo Therapy?
Dec 29, 2009

It sounds like theyre saying "Hypertension, well controlled on duo therapy" Any ideas? Is that right? ...

Pulmonary Hypertension...
Nov 06, 2010

"Lower extremity edema - pulmonary hypertension.  Most likely s/l 'claws up'." ...

Secondary Hypertension
Feb 01, 2011

ESL doc says patient has hypertension, probably secondary hypertension from hyper----ism.  Cannot  understand the middle part of that word.  Any guesses?  Thanks.  ...

S/l Axillary Hypertension
Apr 06, 2011

neuro doc is saying something that sounds like "axillary hypertension." I have found axillary swelling and pulmonary hypertension and axillary vein thrombosis, but not axillary hypertension itself.  Also tried "ancillary hypertension" but didn't get far with that either. Anyone have an idea? Any help will be greatly appreciated. ...

Cephalic Hypertension
Mar 28, 2014

is there such a thing as cephalic hypertension? If yes, what is it?? ...

S/l Flonil For Pulmonary Hypertension
Dec 15, 2009

Grateful for any help.  S/l Flonil, flonel, flonelle ...

Anyone Heard Of Pectana For Hypertension?
Mar 23, 2010

I can't document this anywhere and have never heard of it.  TIA ...

Mjnc7 Guidelines Hypertension
Jan 04, 2011

CONTEXT:  "Hypertension – patient is to keep a blood pressure log, which will be reviewed in approximately three weeks.  MJNC7 guidelines will be mailed to the patient as well.  "   Any ideas?  Thank you! :) ...

S/l Adawit Parameters For Hypertension
Jul 19, 2013

This sounds like "adawhit parameters" Sentence:  Will place the patient on low-dose beta-blocker for cardio protection with _____ parameters for hypotension and bradycardia. ...

S/l CTAPSE Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic
Mar 17, 2010

"CTAPSE ??? or CTA PSE was reduced 1.3 to 1.6  (Sounds like he is saying TAPS...???   Tricuspid annular plane systolic excursion (TAPSE)  - BEX ...

Drug S/l Lenox 2.5 Mg Hx Of Dm, Hypertension, Gout
Jun 18, 2011

x ...

Labile Hypertension - Chart Note
Feb 07, 2011

Microscopic: Rare ______, (sounds like: abcelioe cells) occasional mucus. Rare WBCs, RBCs, and casts. is rare even right? The doctor has a thick accent... ...

Pulmonary Hypertension Sildenafil And S/l Lethyrus
Feb 03, 2012

Patient has pulmonary hypertension and is on sildenafil and s/l lethirus. What is it??  I feel like I should know what this is, but I just can't get it.  Can anyone help? Thanks. ...

Pt W/ Hx Of Non-insulin Dependent Diabetes And Hypertension. See Msg
Sep 11, 2012

Meds in list for H&P s/l ABDICOR?  Any ideas? ...

Overheard A Doctor Telling Another Doctor...
Oct 15, 2010

20 years ago when the DRG's hit the hospitals, one  was complaing to the other... "they treat doctors like a bunch of old dogs now".  Well, that's how  MTs are being treated now.  Why on God's green earth do the MT services require all MT's to work at least one weekend day every week (Friday's and Monday's  don't count). Every ad I see on the Job Seeker board requires weekends.  Are they sadistic or something.  Why do we put u ...

Pt With Hypertension And Arthritis. Drug S/l Clora Fawn.
Aug 09, 2011

:) ...

Pt Had Tumor Involving Mesorectum, Rectum, "Oh By" Urethra, And Prostatic Urethra.
Nov 05, 2013

? ...

Med S/l 'sear-a-mere', Given In List. PMH Of Diabetes, Hypertension, OSA, Chronic Kidney
May 11, 2013

nm ...

S/l Versid. Pt Has History Of Stroke And Hypertension. Can't Document Versid
Jun 21, 2010

x ...

Drug For Hypertension S/l "purpletema" Or "propetema"
Jan 18, 2010

anyone heard of this drug? Thanks, Abby ...

If The Doctor Says MTP Sm
Nov 10, 2009

The patient presents today for followup on her right first MTP. should it be... metatarsophalangeal and the word joint after it or can it just be metarsophalangeal? tia. ...

Do You Ever Wonder How A Doctor (ESL Or Non-ESL) Would
Feb 20, 2010

react if we went in their offices and talked so fast that they couldn't understand what we said, if we ate during our visit, or yawned and continued talking?  I'm just going to wager a guess that they wouldn't appreciate it very much.  Sometimes, I think it would be fun to try just to see their reactions.  There are some that I transcribe that if I ever got the chance to do that I would.  Have an ESL right now that's talking way too fast.  Do they not ...

Anyone Else Have A Doctor Who ........ (sm)
Aug 05, 2010

Rambles on, makes no sense throughout the dictation at all, does not make complete sentences, dictates on a patient in the WRONG chart constantly, follows no format, which is required by YOU, cuts himself off but yet when you can understand him, he has a "bright" moment and makes sense is an absolute joy to transcribe????  Oh, and did I mention that he only dictates every third day even though he sees patients on a daily basis???? Mini-vent over, back to the confusion ... TIA ...

New Doctor
Nov 06, 2010

It sounds like he says Plantar response is flexor bilaterally in his physical exam portion but he says it so fast I'm not sure I have it right.  ...

Gee, Doctor
Jul 08, 2014

to dictate, as long as you are already in your car & eating a box of Cracker Jack.  ...

How Can You Be A Doctor And
Aug 16, 2014

I mean, seriously. What are they teaching these ESL docs now?? <--me, rolling eyes ...