A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

OAK Horizons Curriculum and Platform - Toni2760

Posted: Feb 02, 2010

Does anyone have any information on OAK Horizons online medical transcription school? Columbia State Community College (Tennessee) is listed on the AHDI approved provider list. Columbia State uses the curriculum and platform of OAK Horizons. Also, according to the AHDI website, "AHDI has partnered with OAK Horizons, Inc., to offer a number of specialty modules for continuing education credits."

From my research, it appears that MTec, Andrews School and Career Step are the "top three" schools but I am in need of a school that is on the WIA approved provider list in Tennessee. (WIA = Workforce Investment Act which assists with displaced workers among other things.) MTec has decided not to pursue WIA approval in Tennessee. I spoke with Glenda at Andrews School and she stated she would check on what it would take for them to become an approved provider in Tennessee; however, I am trying to research what options are available to me if Andrews is unable or unwilling to become a Tennessee provider.

I would appreciate any information anyone has on OAK Horizons.

Has whoever is advising you led you to believe - Ann

[ In Reply To ..]
that jobs in medical transcription will be plentiful and easy to get when you have finished your training? Does the program that is assisting you have some sort of guaranteed job placement or at least help you find a job?

If not, you might want to do more research on the future employment prospects for MTs before committing to studying for a career that might not have a job for you when you're ready to go to work.

Many experienced MTs are looking for work and it seems that few companies are hiring newly trained MTs. If you really need work as soon as you finish training, unless the program has a job placement guarantee, you might be better off studying something else like coding or billing or looking into one of the patient-care technician-type jobs, if your interest lies in the medical field.

Best of luck to you. I hope you are able to find training that will lead to a good job.

There's no such thing as a job placement "guarantee" - deb

[ In Reply To ..]
and I would run from any school that says that. Some are much better as far as helping with job placement, but anyone who guarantees to find you a job (other than hiring you themselves) is definitely not to be trusted. And definitely avoid Trans Am, in case you haven't already heard about them.

She's looking into some sort of taxpayer-funded program - Ann

[ In Reply To ..]
One would hope there would be some sort of job placement assistance or even an agreement with employers to hire graduates of the program. Otherwise, it would be a colossal waste of taxpayers' money to retrain people who have lost their jobs without any plan or program to place them in employment after they are trained.
Clarification - Toni2760
[ In Reply To ..]
I would not think that a school can "guarantee" an individual job placement no matter what type degree, diploma, certification, etc. the individual obtains. I do believe that certain schools provide a better education and students have varying ability for learning what the schools teach.

Many training options are available to displaced workers. It is my opinion that every individual has the responsibility to choose the field that they feel they would be most successful in as well as personally satisfied. Also, the person needs to consider the demographics of where they will want to obtain work. (Rural areas don't offer employment in the same fields as large cities.)

My personal situation is very different from the next person. Some would need employment which afforded them healthcare, full-time hours, retirement, etc. while others would not.

As far as it being taxpayers' money, I am one of those taxpayers. I will be 50 years old this month and have worked since I was 16 years old. Unfortunately, I lost my job of 12 years which I had planned to retire from thus am eligible for the WIA assistance. It is not something that I am taking lightly or making a decision about without a lot of research, soul searching and prayer. As a matter of fact, it is a very difficult decision to make and one that quite honestly I wish I didn't have to make. I jokingly say, "I'm trying to decide to do when I grow up!"

I have read this forum as well as the MT Chat and am aware of the changes in the MT field. I am currently trying to weigh all of the pros and cons as they relate to my personal situation.

Thanks for your input on this matter. I just wanted to share a little bit of my story with you all since I know many others have experienced similar situations.

Thank you for the clarification - Ann
[ In Reply To ..]
It was clear from your earlier post that you had lost your job and were seeking retraining so you could become employed again.

The point I was trying to make was that if tax money (yours, mine, and others') is being spent to retrain folks who have lost their jobs, then it would be sensible for the program that is paying for the training to be sure there were jobs for the program's clients once they were successfully retrained. Otherwise, it's just a program to put money into the pockets of the trainers and does not benefit the people who need the jobs.

I think training programs are an excellent use of my tax money, but I think the people being retrained deserve to know whether they are being retrained for a viable occupation and also whether the training they get will be sufficient to make them employable. I've never heard of the program you asked about, so I cannot comment on their reputation in the MT field or their track record in placing graduates. It is so difficult for new MTs to get a decent job now without a top-notch education, it would be a shame to put in all the effort to go through a program without some idea of whether you're going to be employable once you're done. These are questions you need to ask when choosing a program.

Good luck to you.
Assistance vs. Agreement - Big Difference
[ In Reply To ..]
There are all sorts of claims of agreements to hire, but think about it. No company can hire every graduate of any program unless they hire them for a few months and then dump them so they can keep their so-called agreement to hire all the graduates. I've seen people get hurt when they believe those kinds of claims. Job Placement Assistance is another thing entirely. If any school is worth its salt, it has companies that consider their graduates if and when they need them. They don't have a blanket promise to hire all of them. That would be irresponsible and in some states illegal.

Oak Horizons - itspooh2

[ In Reply To ..]
I got my training through Oak Horizons a few years ago and found it very good. I attempted Career Step before that and couldn't seem to get through it all (even after extending several times). Oak Horizons helped me find a job also. Keep in mind that Oak Horions is geared towards those that already have some experience so it is an accelerated course.

Toni2760 - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
The most important question to ask is whether they use the SUM program or not. That is key.

Thanks to Old MTSO! - Toni2760

[ In Reply To ..]
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question!

To Toni - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
You are more than welcome. I hate to see newbies/young people get taken advantage of and suckered into things that will not be productive. For my money, I think Andrews is the best investment you can make. And no, I do not have now, nor have I ever had, any relationship to it whatsoever, except to see the quality of its grads and how they seem to get jobs very easily. The reason for that is that because the MTSO does not have to train or re-train them. They simply know their stuff.

Haven't heard of them at all... - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a grant with the office of vocational rehabilitation to attend MTEC. I hope you are able to get into Andrews since MTEC hasn't helped you.

Similar Messages:

Question Regarding Coding School Curriculum
Jan 25, 2012

Has anyone who has gone through coding school after being an MT been able to waive portions of the curriculum, such as A&P?  If not, was it more a review or was it from the beginning?  I took A&P many years ago and have been an MT since 1987 (with a break around 2003-2005) with experience in a lot of specialties from oncology to different subspecialties in neurology.  Thanks! ...

New Horizons
Mar 17, 2010

Those of you who are unhappy with Medquist, please take it from a former employee.  There are other jobs where you will be treated with respect, have plenty of work and security, and actually enjoy your job again.  All the antacids in the world could not make me return to the Q. ...

Oak Horizons Testing
Dec 02, 2010

Has anyone ever used this site to take an employment test?  ...

DQS Platform
Nov 02, 2010

Needing a general consensus on whether or not you like the DQS platform...what about it's ASR generated reports.  I personally like the platform and think the ASR reports aren't as bad as some platforms I have been on...I just hate the rate of ASR pay.  Though it is estimated the production increases with ASR, for most, that simply is not the case and, per a study I found online, quite the opposite.  Please see results from that independent study below.   En ...

MD-IT Platform
Oct 07, 2011

Does anyone have experience with the MD-IT platform? If so, is it easy to work with? Thanks for any info. ...

Which Is The Best Platform For EMR For IC/MTs?
Aug 29, 2012

In your experience, which platform would you recommend an IC/MT suggest a physician's office utilize? This would be probably for four docs per office or less and one to four MTs. I am hoping to "sell" some local private doctor offices with this form of EMR so it may save my current small job and also allow me to obtain more work. Also, I would appreciate any suggestions on how to "sell" this idea to them. Thank you for any help you may be able to share with me. ...

Best Platform For MT???
Aug 29, 2012

Small and independent and was wanting some opinions/information on the best platform to use. I am currently using one now but was curious about webchart, chartnet, and scribemanager. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  ...

FFT Platform?
May 25, 2015

Sooo, anyone care to share which companies use the FFT (Fluency) platform other than the company formerly known as The Big Q? ...

Emdat Platform
Oct 12, 2009

Is this system difficult. Is it voice recognition? ...

SoftScript Platform?
Oct 15, 2009

Does anyone know what platform SoftScript uses?  TIA. ...

What Platform Does Chronicle Use?
Nov 03, 2009

Does anyone have info about them, good or bad? ...

Is MedQuist's Platform
Jan 04, 2010

compatible with Windows 7? ...

Webmedx Platform
Jan 06, 2010

Can anybody tell me what platform Webmedx uses? Thanks. ...

What Platform Does Zylomed Use? Does Anyone Know?
Jan 08, 2010

Does anyone know what platform they use?  Any other info, like pay scale?  Thanks. ...

Platform With Inscribe Out Of KY?
Feb 08, 2010

Was wondering what platform this company uses, does anyone know?  It is Inscribe out of Kentucky.  I've talked with two different people at the company and they are saying they don't know what platform they use.  However, a Dictaphone 15-pin foot pedal is required, so would that be ExText?  Thanks in advance.... ...

What VR Platform Does TransTech Use?
Feb 19, 2010

nm ...

What VR Platform FutureNet Uses
Mar 17, 2010

Does anyone know what VR platform FutureNet uses and what they pay for VR work? ...

What Is The Best VR Platform You Have Worked On?
Apr 15, 2010

xx ...

Dictaphone Platform For Vr
Jun 03, 2010

Anyone like dictaphone for VR, or prefer Escription?  What is the average lines per hour anyone makes with either platform?  I am relatively new with VR and need to know if it is really worth the 0.4 cpl?  I was told 400-600 lines an hour will probably be my average, closer to the 600 ...

Winscribe Platform?
Jul 21, 2010

Do any of you have experience with the WinScribe platform for typing?  I'm trying to make sure it is easy to use and that MTs can be productive on it.  Thank you. ...

MD-IT PLATFORM HELP!! I Always Worry About
Jul 27, 2010

if a platform is productive or not.  They told me that all their accounts now use their own platform called "MD-IT"   Do we enter demos.  I guess it depends on the account.  Do we get paid for them if so?  Thanks guys ...

MTSO And Platform
Aug 18, 2010

Can someone tell me what MTSO and platforms are? I am obviously a newbie and don't know what these terms mean.  Thanks for your help in advance. ...

Proscribe Platform
Aug 29, 2010

anyone type on the proscribe platform?  just curious how you like it compared to other platforms, particulary compared to the escription platform ...

Platform Experience
Sep 20, 2010

How, in searching for job, do I even begin to acquaint myself with each & every platform out there? Nearly each job posting uses something different. I had ExpressScribe when at careestep, but notice not many companies use that. ...

ETransplus Platform?
Oct 01, 2010

Does anyone know what transcription platfor this company uses?   TIA ...

Synernet Platform
Oct 04, 2010

Does anyone know what Synernet pays and what platform they use?  Any info greatly appreciated. ...

IntraScript 8.2e Platform
Oct 12, 2010

Does anyone use IntraScript platform?  My last MTSO used this platform and I loved it because I could actually o  open MS Word and type in it then copy and paste it into IntraScript.  The reason I did this was because I have wireless internet and if it went down for a second I would lose my report if it was typed in IntraScript.  I have seen a couiple of MTSOs that use IntraScript but they use the 8.2e version.  I was actually able to download IntraScript from one M ...

Cornerstone Platform MTs
Nov 04, 2010

You who do work on the Cornerstone platform, are you familiar with the Instruction Panel on the right? Well, we have patient, provider, author, etc.  The information panel has updated instructions for doing the reports.  When I follow this, this page does not have the latest information, then one of the CCMs e-mails us something that contradicts these rules.  She asked me "where did you read the rules you are going by?"  I told her "on the instruction panel."  She e-mail ...

Keystrokes New Platform
Dec 28, 2010

I am not sure if I missed something or not.   Keystrokes apparently has been making some massive changes.  Has anyone been been made aware of how this will affect their pay and/or benefits?       THIS IS NOT MEANT AS CRITICISM-I WOULD JUST REALLY LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT.   ...

Platform For Transcription Plus LLC
Jan 01, 2011

Anyone know the platform that Transcription Plus LLC uses?  Do they have any QA/Editors? ...