A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

They are never going to respect us... - sm

Posted: Dec 10, 2013

because they see us all as insignifcant females, just a bunch of housewives trying to make a little extra pocket money and not career-minded professionals. Hence, the low pay and poor treatment.  I've been with MM for a few years now since they bought my company, and I can't believe how horribly this company treats its employees.  It is because they see us as insignificant little worker ants who exist only to serve them.  This is never going to improve because MT has turned into this positively ridiculous "Avon lady" mentality of working to make a little extra money since it certainly is no longer a viable career.  As we all know, this is ludicrous since it takes a very special kind of person to do this type of work, as well as a lot of training and experience to do it well. I got into this field 16 years ago because I thought it was a respected profession, not because I wanted some lazy, work-at-home job, which is exactly why they treat us as poorly as they do. I am certain that because we work at home, which wasn't by choice for many of us, they think they can treat us however they want to.  When I worked in-house many years ago, we were treated with respect.  How I miss those days.  I plan to exit MT within the next year to year and a half once I finish school, but it is with a heavy heart since I mourn what MT has become.

The "excused absence no pay" thing is what - proves this.

[ In Reply To ..]
We are all little housewives making a little extra money so taking a day off with no pay should be fine since we all have husbands, right? No!! I will never ever be able to take time off without pay so I end up having to use PTO. I have no choice but to do this, and it sucks! I am not married. I'm a single parent with 2 kids depending on me, and this is my only income, which used to be a good one for that matter. Now I struggle just to make ends meet. Just pathetic.

I disliked this post because it's true. I agree with you. WAH stinks! - BOO

[ In Reply To ..]
I drank the Kool-Aid and wanted to stay at home to have a career and still make money but be home with my kids and not pay daycare. WELL, still no kids, can't afford IF treatments, hate being at home, can't get another out of home job no matter how hard I try. I want to kick the butt of my 8 years younger self and say RUN. DO NOT GO TO SCHOOL FOR MT AND CERTAINLY DO NOT WORK AS ONE.

Shoulda coulda woulda

It is very sad :-(

Then you're part of the problem - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The whole mom can work at home thing derailed this industry.

Part of the problem - I was forced to work

[ In Reply To ..]
at home, when the hospital I worked for outsourced. I tried to find other MT jobs in offices, hospitals, clinics, per diem, you name it; eventually they all went the way of outsourcing. In the beginning it was actually working out pretty well, decent money, decent working conditions, benefits, then it all changed and I woke up one day in a jobless market. I looked into a lot of jobs; my age worked against me, my lack of experience worked against me, so I stuck with being an MT. Finally I found something decent, but it was a struggle, but I did get away from Spheris and Medquist, which was torture to say the least and my salary was cut in half due to their tactics which were beneath contempt. So don't rank on the "work at home moms." Do you know what childcare costs? Again, it is sad what this line of work has become, but for those of you working at these "sweat shops," get out. Like one post said, "flip burgers" if you have to, but find something else. There are some decent MT jobs out there, but it takes a while to find them and the one I have been with for over three years; I only know of one MT who left. Just goes to show you how it is out there. MM, Nuance, et.al are always hiring because of the way they treat their employees.
Got news for you - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked out of the home, and made more money by the way. And I have worked in the home, my choice, works for me for now. I work 5 times as hard from the home and make 10K less. Work at home is far from a goof off job. Unfortunately we are in the process of being replaced by technology, only a matter of time.

The work-at-home mom thing was STARTED by the - MTSOs, not the other way around.

[ In Reply To ..]
Moms didn't start the MTSOs, they didn't outsource and offshore the work...that was corporate greed at work. They (the MTSOs) figured they could use women and overseas workers as their worker ants, to use the reference given above, while they pocket the bulk of the money, and in doing so have made a joke out of this profession, an absolute farce.

Problem - Management

[ In Reply To ..]
Corporate greed is the problem. Management is the one who made the decision to send all MTs home to work to cut down business expenses. We, MTs have given this company everything and more that is why we are all still here.
Also look at who owned us - just saying
[ In Reply To ..]
How are you treated when you call tech support? Are you treated different from US techs versus ILP techs? I know I am. That is what we are fighting against, an entire culture who believes that women are second class citizens. This translates to low pay, no opportunities for career advancement and just not even being appreciated for a job well done. This started in 2007 when Kumar bought Medquist and only continues to get worse. Whether we are now owned by a US company or not the damage has been done.

I started right away with an MTSO... - BOO

[ In Reply To ..]
I was offered two in-house MT positions with a hospital/clinic system, one in 2007 and one in 2008, but I turned them both down because at the time I was making more per hour at my job at the time. I wanted to stay home from the beginning even with my MT instructor (and others) telling me not to. I didn't listen. AND if I did work in-house for either one of those offers, I would now be either at home with a crappy MTSO like now or unemployed. I'd still be in the same boat I am now, trying to get out of MT altogether. I even tried a few years ago to get back in-house with the original hospitals who offered it in the beginning but they were already in the stages of their MTs being outsourced. I don't appreciate being called "part of the problem" when I didn't cause it. If I knew 5-6 years ago I'd be in this mess AFTER dealing with infertility issues and running out of money for treatments, I would've stayed in my old job. I thought I'd be home with a baby, but that never happened. Don't judge a person until you've been in their situation. I can only imagine what the seasoned 20-30 plus year in-house MTs feel about all this. I don't blame them one bit if they're beyond

Let me clarify something... - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I just read my post again and want to clarify something that could easily be misunderstood. I did not intend for that to sound like I think we are "lazy" for working at home, but simply that I believe that is how they view us. I know I, for one, seem to work harder now than when I was at the hospital due to making up because of NJA or technical issues, all the junk we do for free, reading emails, and so forth. Remember when we used to get paid for that kind of stuff?? Sheesh, it is just crazy how much we do for free simply because we are at home and paid on production.

I agree - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They totally take advantage of us and we allow it, because we are stuck. By having us at home they save on electric, breaks, minimum wage requirements, the whole no work no pay thing. Which, I understand and accepted at one point right up till they told me I was no longer flexible and I will sign into that stupid time clock and work a set schedule.. I feel the flu coming on, we all need to get sick maybe for one week, save your PTO, get a doctor's note (can't deny you for say a back injury) just saying... But we won't do this little "strike" unlike the Indians, which is why they got better bennies than us.

And the ideal time would be over the next - Indian holiday

[ In Reply To ..]
x

working in-house was going downhill too - poorhouse

[ In Reply To ..]
I've worked in-house my entire career (2 yrs as a med rec clerk, 14 yrs as an MT). They just sold out to MM and lined up this job with MM for me "as a favor." Sigh. At one point, we were treated with respect at the hospital; in the past couple years, though, they realized that they couldn't afford us/our quality, thus the selling out. Oddly, I think the hospital /was/ paying us too much, which was their fault. I never asked for the raises; they handed them out like candy. Now, I've went from making too much money doing this to making too little money. It's crazy. Since going to MM, I've lost 50% of my pay. Yep. Bankruptcy...here I come!

Similar Messages:

Respect For ARNPs And The Like
Apr 23, 2011

I have a really hard time respecting some of these dictators when they say things like "no congenial abnormalities" meaning congenital.  And stumbling around before finally spelling words that a 4th grader could pronounce.  When I go to the doctor, living very rural, oftentimes it will be the NPs or PAs who examine you and render a diagnosis.  I realize there are good ones and bad ones, but if the threshold for getting their degrees is so low that they can regularly make these di ...

With All Due Respect To The MT Community...
May 28, 2012

If any of you knew me in person you would know it is not in my nature to whine. But I am going to DO SO HERE... My wife is the MT in our family not me. Last Thursday the laptop she uses for work died. It was an old AcerVista laptop. So what is a person who makes a living on a computer do when the one he or she uses dies?? Common sense is you go get a new one right??  These companys you folks work for could not be more firmly entrenched in the tech world. Do these people realize just how d ...

It Would Be Nice To Get A Little Respect From
Jun 07, 2013

MTSO companies.  Being a long-time loyal employee/IC means nothing to most MTSO's.  I've worked for the same company for around 4 years, through ups and downs, feasts and famines, and the minute it gets a little busy, they hurry up and hire more MTs.  That proves to me that all they care about is making money for themselves and is just a slap in the face of the MT.  Maybe if you must hire new MTs for busy times, how about giving work first to your long-time MTs when ...

I Just Want Honest Answers And Respect
Aug 20, 2012

I am not asking for charity or a pity party but when there is no work or insufficient work to make quotas I would appreciate the company being honest about what is happening. Don't tell me the docs are all on vacation or it's summertime and no one goes to the doctor in the summertime!!!!!! And if I ask a question I would appreciate an answer and not being ignored. Thank you.  ...

Accentus - Companies Out There That Treat Their MTs With Respect?
Jul 13, 2012

Just had the most demoralizing experience of my 20 year medical transcriptionist career with this company. QA score of 99.4% and got "let go" because I wasn't doing a good enough job, and my line counts were just getting up to the required range. I am seriously considering changing careers because of this. Just wanted to find out if this is just me or are there others out there that had the same experience with this company? Are there any companies out there that treat their MTs with respec ...

Coding Schools - Do Hospitals Respect Andrews?
Nov 17, 2011

I know Andrews is the school recommended for MT training, but is it equally recommended for coding school?  I'm looking into community colleges, etc., but wanted to check into online schools as well.  Do hospitals respect Andrews as much as they would a community college degree for coding? ...

Whatever Happened To The Days When You Could Respect Your Team Leads And Your Bosses?
Nov 12, 2010

No one "leads" anymore, they just direct traffic.  I can remember when the "leaders" used to help their employees so they could get a better line count, get through the hard dictators, or just do whatever was in their power to be encouraging.  Now it seems they just use their positions to grab the good jobs that have good dictators or normal dictations like the ops, collect their pay and act like you are a total burden if you need help.   I can assure you it is not encouragin ...

MMMModal's Ad From Monster. Check It Out. Their Claim Of Respect Makes Me-
Feb 05, 2012

Medical Transcriptionist About the Job         We invite you to join the most talented and knowledgeable workforce in the business by introducing M*Modal, the new brand of our industry-leading technology organization. Together, the combination of our collective organizations – MedQuist, Spheris, CBay, M*Modal, Poiesis and others – will enhance the power of clinical documentation to improve patient care.   M*Modal is currently seeking medical trans ...