A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I have died and gone to semicolon hades - anon

Posted: Jan 03, 2014

MME here working on global reports and I'm wondering ... when did semicolons become an acceptable substitution for commas and colons?  In my last report I swear there were no fewer than a million of the little suckers - on every line of the report there were at least a few.  

PAST MEDICAL HISTORY:

Includes; hypertension; diabetes; hypothyroid. 

SOCIAL HISTORY:

Nonsmoker; nondrinker; no illicit drug abuse; lives at home; works as a cashier.

I can't stand it!!   swear to gosh the perfectionist and OCD Virgo in me wants to correct every single one of them but I just HAVE to turn my head and back away.  I could go crazy (er) in this little semi-colon padded rubber room I'm in today. 

Uh, India?  Hades called and they want their semicolons back. 

H; E; L; P; 

I agree! - Looks terrible

[ In Reply To ..]
You are right, anon. That looks horrible. It has to be from another country. Maybe another planet. I; love; your; sense; of; humor; though!

Ha! Gotta laugh or I'd lose my mind - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It's just wrong!

Can you imagine a world where we just started substituting? random, punctuation: for the "correct", one'

PAST MEDICAL HISTORY:

Hypertension! Diabetes? "Hypothyroid".

SOCIAL HISTORY:

Nonsmoker? Nondrinker? Lives at home! Works as a cashier .....

For God's sake someone teach them the correct usage for punctuation before I throw myself off a bridge?

Thanks for the laugh out loud today;@'! - ChiMT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Don't jump! - hee-hee

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

That's hilarious!! - XYZ

[ In Reply To ..]
OMG I am laughing sooo hard! True ... why do they substitute every punctuation sign with a semicolon? I mean, why those? It makes no sense.

Can you imagine if we did that with question marks, or quotation marks?

PAST MEDICAL HISTORY:
1. Anemia?
2. GI bleed?

PAST SURGICAL HISTORY:
1. Bunionectomy?
2. Hysterectomy?

Or, what about ...

SOCIAL HISTORY:
"Lives alone".

OMG I'm laughing out loud! It makes as much sense as the crazy semicolons, I agree they're in every sentence!

SEMICOLON ;SEMICOLON; SEMICOLON - gltrgrammi

[ In Reply To ..]
LOL!!! You are hysterical. I needed that laugh today. I was wondering the exact same thing. I think it just depends on what QA person we get. I think MM has totally made up their own BOS. They are correcting things in my reports that are exactly what I already typed. Really?? I have never seen some of the critiquing that they have been giving me. Like: VS: Blood pressure 123/88. Pulse 60. Respirations: 18. These are not complete sentences people. But, not all of them do this, only some. Talk about confusing. What do you want from me? Cannot wait to QUIT this &^%$# job.

I got back a list of 'errors' done by QA - anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
They 'corrected' the whole list of Past Medical History by taking out my commas and putting in...semicolons. Grrrr.

What! OK that's proof that India is QA'ing reports - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I think the semicolon has become India's national punctuation mark. I don't think there is an American QA person on earth who would take out all the commas and add in semicolons. I think people in India must have shrines for semicolons in their houses. I think they have them tattooed on their butts. I believe the semicolon must be sacred punctuation and they pay homage to them on Sundays.

You would NEVER catch an American QA sprinkling semicolons into a report like that.

Big mistake - Nana

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe this could very well be right, that some of our auditing is being outsourced. I had the same "corrections" on some of my reports in the last couple months. This company is really going to screw themselves because when our BOBs check these out and see what messes they are they are going to be looking for alternatives out of MModal.

QA Qualifications - Passing by

[ In Reply To ..]
What the worst part of the QA people is that many times they are WRONG but you have no recourse to defend yourself. If you put anything in the comment you will be flagged and told not to do it. The QA has an open wand to do as they feel, whether it is right or not and there is no recourse.

SEMICOLON - Sad MT

[ In Reply To ..]
India IS QA'g reports on at least one of my accounts. REALLY?? If I ever get an audit or feedback from one of them I will totally go off. They cannot transcribe, how can they QA??? I have an ESL in one of my accounts who always dictates "semicolon" which I totally ignore and so far have had no negative audit/feedback by not doing so.

and yet they still refuse to use a - colon

[ In Reply To ..]
I too have started seeing the semicolons everywhere but they just will not use a full colon. It's always CBC, blah blah blah. Chemistry, blah blah blah. Xray, blah blah blah.

Exactly! I've seen that too - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't possibly have all the time it would take to correct the tsunami of semicolons that cross my desk every day but I DO correct the lab tests. It's almost as if they don't know what to do with it so they just toss in a semicolon .... everywhere.

DIAGNOSTIC DATA:
CMP; sodium 135; bicarb 20; chest x-ray; clear; shows no infiltrates; EKG; sinus rhythm.

Or, how about ...

The patient was sent to the lab for the following; CBC; chest x-ray; EKG.

I'm not kidding, global reports literally look this way, all day, every day. If we had this kind of teary-eyed, shaky hand rabid obsession with question marks or exclamation points failing audits would be the least of our worries.

the semicolons have just started - my suspicion

[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder if the semicolons aren't coming from the Philippine ILPS since they just recently started. But I've seen the commas for years from India.
Always a comma where a colon should be, unless it's a capitalized subheading in an H & P or a ROS>

Similar Messages:

Nuance Can Go To Hades!
Dec 22, 2014

I have 100% accuracy, the required LPH.  I missed the 10% QC.  I had 11%.  Why did I have 11%?  Because I had to take a mandatory 5 from a secondary account that I very rarely ever type on.  I can count on one hand how many times this year I've had to type on that account.  I am so frigging ticked right now.  So I get 7 f'ing cents per line because of 1% on an account I very rarely ever type on.  I hope they are reading this because I'm givi ...

Tested For TranSolutions And Instructions Said To Use Semicolon After . . .
Feb 17, 2010

. . after headings.  I did this but think that is the reason why I did not score well on the transcription part of testing with 18 years experience.  Have you had a similar experience?  (i know some people mix up colon and semicolon and wonder if directions meant colon?!) ...

Something Just Died
Sep 23, 2011

grrrrr ...

I Can't Believe It, I Think I've Died And Gone To Heaven. Sm
Mar 08, 2011

Wow, all day today and yesterday I have been getting actual transcribe jobs, not ASR!!!  Whuppeeeee!!!!  This ol gal is relishing the respite for a while.  I know it won't last long.  I am enjoying it while I can.   I have been extremely, extremely sick for the last 2 months, and this is a joy for me.  With all the meds I take ASR tends to be too monotonous and I find myself drifting off.  Not good.  Transcribing keeps me alert and focused.  ...

I Think I Died And Went To Heaven....... Sm
Sep 17, 2011

I just got an eleven-minute dictation that I actually had the pleasure of transcribing as opposed to doing speech recognition on it.  The dictator was perfect!!  He spoke at a regular rate, not too fast and not too slow.  His thoughts were organized and he enunciated his words clearly.  I just typed my little heart out on that one and loved every minute of it!!!!  Why can't it always be like that??? <Sigh> ...

My Computer Died,
Sep 24, 2012

time that I had to take to set up a new one.  Also, I am being harrassed about being slow when my computer problems were plaguing me, even though I kept my TL informed at all times.  Does this seem reasonable to anyone? ...

Father Died In His 50's Or 50s. Confuses Me Every Time!
Apr 06, 2011

nm ...

I HAVE To Buy A Computer TODAY! Mine Just Died. Can I Get Opinions
Jul 03, 2010

and suggestions.....my budget is around 700.00.   Does anyone use a laptop? Will that withstand an 8 hour day of typing? I have an Emachine now and it is horrible.  If I go with a desktop I would only need the tower. I think I would like a laptop but know nothing about them. I have a shift today so I have to do this ASAP!! Thanks for any suggestions.   ...

Computer Died....anyone Replace A Power Supply ? - Sm
Jun 27, 2010

Woke up to my computer dead (2.5 years old).....shut it down last night, no problems.  Did not notice if the blinking light(of the power button) was on or not last night when I went to bed.  In any case it was off this morning which is not the norm.  DOA.  Tried the obvious, unplugged, replugged in different outlet, etc.  Nada.  Have another old Dell here (has hard drive issues not power supply)  thought maybe I could switch out the power supplies, don ...

Computer Died Unexpectedly....seeking Expertise
Jan 21, 2013

My computer was fine last night but this morning had apparently committed suicide during the night. After powering it off and back on, I received the Dell/Windows screen that normally comes up, then it went to a black screen with the message "NO BOOT DEVICE AVAILABLE." Has anyone else ever encountered this and is it fixable?  I do have a backup computer but I had a lot of information on the hard drive of the other computer I'd love to be able to recover. TIA! ...