A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Typing Test for Census Bureau? - MT no longer

Posted: Dec 29, 2009

I am going to take the typing test for a data transcriber position at the Census Bureau soon and was wondering if anyone has ever taken this test before?  What do they have you type?  Thanks in advance

Census - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It might be worth it, but with the chance of ACORN running it, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, but that's just me and my bias against a mostly corrupt organization. If I answer my door and find out it's them running the census, there will be a resounding slam of my door. Good luck, hon. It may very well be on the up and up and I assume it would be a government job and probably would pay pretty well.

Yes, gov job - MT no longer

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes it is a government job. I was a data transcriber for them back in 1990 but we did not have to take a typing test then. Now they require it. All we did was sit and typed straight off the census forms. Very easy job, but only lasts a few months at a time. The only thing that I did not like about it was that I have to drive at least an hour to work and an hour to get home every day and at $13.00 and hour I am just not sure if it is worth it. I can't decide what to do.

Census Pay - Going to Take the Test

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not know how easy the test is, but in Georgia the pay starts at $18.75 an hour. It does vary from region to region, but the pay scale does seem to be decent. Good luck
Only $13.22 here in Indiana - MT no longer
[ In Reply To ..]
They only pay $13.22/hr here in Indiana but it is suppose to last until September.

Stupid propaganda. - MT88

[ In Reply To ..]
There is nothing wrong with ACORN and it has been proven so upon investigation. A judge has stepped in and stopped the idiotic defunding of ACORN based on right wing lies and scapegoating. They had a few bad apples like every organization.

You've swallowed too many lies.

Your message is propaganda itself. - There is nothing wrong with ACORN ????????????

[ In Reply To ..]
Have you not been watching or reading the news? Or researching yourself about the company? No, I didn't think so. There are no "right-wing lies and scapegoating". That is a left-wing propaganda statement.

They don't have just a "few bad apples" - their whole group is corrupt from the people who support giving hookers and pimps funding and a business license to do so all the way up to founding brothers who are embezzling money.

That group is so corrupt to the core, but then again the left-wing lies have some people fooled. But of course since they support your group in the WH and congress you approve of the corruptness I see.

Data transcriber - Needajob

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry but I don't know anything about the typing test. However, I did go to the web site to find out more about this job title but could not find it anywhere. Are you willing to share where you found this? Can it be done from your home computer or do you have to go to an office of the census bureau? Don't really qualify to be a census taker as I don't have transportation to get anywhere, but could work from home. Thanks for the info.

Job at the Census Bureau - MT no longer

[ In Reply To ..]
This job is at a office in a Census Bureau office. They usually hire about 100 data transcribers. I found it on one of the government job sites usjobs or something like that

Sounds like at site job and only 3 cities in the U.S. will have - processing centers

[ In Reply To ..]

Here is some information that might be of interest to you. 

The U.S. Census Bureau opened a data processing center in Jeffersonville, Indiana, which will process 58 million 2010 Census forms completed by households in 10 states. The new facility will be at the Census Bureau's National Processing Center (NPC) and will employ approximately 1,350 people.

The Jeffersonville Data Processing Center is one of three sites nationwide where completed 2010 Census forms will be processed as they are mailed back by households starting next March. The NPC expects to process completed 2010 Census forms from West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan - representing about 20 percent of the total number of forms expected to be received nationwide.

The remaining forms will be sent to data capture centers in Phoenix and Baltimore. The 2010 Census forms will be mailed to households in March, and the majority of the data processing will occur between March and July.

The NPC is hiring staff for 2010 Census operations, including clerks and statistical clerks/data transcribers. Job descriptions and applications are available now at usajobs .gov. The NPC employment level at peak census processing will be approximately 5,000 people.

Each worker will take a lifetime oath to keep census information confidential. By law, the Census Bureau cannot share respondents' answers with any other government or law enforcement agency. Any violation of that oath is punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 and five years in prison.

Statistical Clerk (Data Transcribing), GG-1531-04

Commerce, Bureau of the Census

USA  -INDIANA   -Clark & Floyd Counties 

Tour of Duty: Monday through Friday, Day Shift (predominately 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.) and Night Shift (4:00 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.) Employees are paid 10% night differential ($14.50 per hour)

Vacancy Ann #:  NPC-2010-0018

Who May Apply:  Public

Pay Plan:  GG-1531/04-04

Appointment Term:  Temporary

Job Status:  Full-Time

Opening Date:  12/24/2009

Salary Range:  From $27,504.00 to $27,504.00 USD per year

Similar Messages:

Just Got A Part Time Job With The Census Bureau At $12.50/hr...
Apr 09, 2010

more than I am making now!!! ...

Anyone Taken A Typing Test For Other Than MT Work?
Jun 30, 2010

Well, I finally got an interview for a job...not totally thrilled as it's with a temp agency but it is an "open to permanent" position as a medical administrative assistance.  I'm worried about taking the typing test!  With all my shorthands, I have them ingrained in my brain and I'm afraid I'll flub up and want to make shortcuts when I need to be worried about my timing on the test.  Has anyone taken a test for something other than an MT position and did oka ...

Just Took A Typing Test And Did Bad On One Section...
Jan 20, 2011

I so badly needed to slow the dictation down but was not able to. I listened to two places a million times and just could not make out what the heck he was saying. Had to leave 2 blanks. That is going to look absolutely horrible.  Rrrrrg, so disappointed. ...

Typing Speed Test - Sm
Mar 17, 2012

I need some help/opinions.  I think I transcribe fairly fast, i.e., lines per hour.  I have been looking to get out of MT and into something related and have been given a typing test (in person) on a couple of occasions.  The problem is that I stink at typing from written copy as opposed to from hearing it via dictation.  My brain just isn't wired to pass these tests :( ...

Census Typists
Mar 09, 2010

Just recently had a job fair here....they are offering these positions for $15-20/hour.  I know it's temporary, but it's still unbelievable.  I wish I could take a LOA and go do it!  The commute would kill me on gas, but I still might make more than transcribing, especially if there is no work coming in!   ...

Low Census All Over The World?
Feb 01, 2013

I'm lucky enough to have one of the few remaining MT/E jobs that is NOT an MTSO (albeit not for much longer). I've been reading here for quite a while, including the General, M*Modal, and Nuance boards. It seems as if nearly everyone, everywhere has seen their work dry up in the extreme.  At Nuance and M*Modal, of course, they reckon it's because it's all going to India, and all things considered, they're undoubtedly right, at least in part. However, it doesn ...

Does Anyone Have Any Information On The Bureau Of Office Services, Inc. (BOS) Sm
Mar 31, 2010

How are they to work for?  What is the pay scale like?  Platform?  The ad indicates that benefits are included for FT employees - are they expensive?  TIA. ...

Bureau Of Office Services - See Message
Oct 13, 2010

They were advertising for a VA account and a radiology account on October 7 or 8 but it appears as if all the posts have been removed.  Is this a legitimate company?  I checked out their web site, it looked okay to me.  Does anyone have any information that they would be willing to share?  Thanks ...

Bureau Of Labor Statistics Job Outlook For MT
Mar 20, 2013

From the BLS website: Job Outlook Medical TranscriptionistsPercent change in employment, projected 2010-20Other Healthcare Support Occupations - 25%  Total, All Occupations - 14%  Medical Transcriptionists - 6%  Employment of medical transcriptionists is expected to grow 6 percent from 2010 to 2020, slower than the average for all occupations. The volume of healthcare services is expected to continue to increase, resulting in a growing number of medical tests and procedures, all ...

Bureau Of Labor Statistics Inaccuracy?
Jan 13, 2014

I'm a pretty new MT. I've only been working for about a year. I didn't know how little I was going to make when I trained for this--more or less minimum wage. If one were to research it even today on the Internet, they wouldn't know either by looking at government site Bureau of Labor Statistics. According to its site, the median wage in May,2012 is $34,020. That would make it about $18.00 hour, which I'm sure would make you all stop complaining. So has medical tran ...

Bureau Of Office Services .... Did Anyone Who Sent Them A Resume Hear From Them?
Apr 29, 2010

nm ...

Audio Transcription Center/Skill Bureau
Dec 03, 2012

Hello all, Has anyone had any dealings with Audio Transcription Center, which is apparently part of or associated with the Skill Bureau?  I got an email saying they wanted to talk tp me after I had already trained for a co. I was not excited about but needed a job. They want a typing test and then 4 audio files to be done for testing.  It's an IC position.  Could not get much information on the phone from the placement person.  Would be interested in any opinions/knowle ...

Does Any Have Any Info (or Heard Back From) The BOS (Bureau Of Office Services)? Sm
Apr 16, 2010

They had an ad up a while back for VA transcriptionists.  I'm wondering if anyone currently works for them and what the platform, pay, etc., are like. ...

BOS VA (Bureau Of Office Services); Has Anyone Heard From This Company, Or Can Current
Oct 08, 2010

n/m ...

Test S/l Mal-blees Test - Left Elbow Lateral Epicondylitis
Jan 18, 2012

x ...

Is Anyone Here An RHIT? Wondering How Difficult The Test Is Compared To CCS Test
Jul 10, 2012

nm ...

Gyno Test - S/l Wisp Test? I Think I'm Spent!
Jan 05, 2010

.. ...

Knee Test, Sounds Like "Simon's First Test"
May 06, 2015

Doc is doing a knee exam for large meniscal tear and bone-on-bone medial compartment OA.  He says what sounds like "Simons first test" caused grade 4 posterolateral tenderness. Any ideas? Thanks, Andrea ...

Apprehension Test Is Negative. *Falk* Sign Is Negative. Speed Test Is Negative. Thanx. Nm
Nov 30, 2011

nm ...

Typing Without QA
Apr 06, 2010

You know, I think I am typing better and faster without the fear of QA hanging over me.  I never thought they were extremely helpful anyways.  Usually they couldn't fill in the blanks and just nit-picked the report like a pecking bird.  I have never had a report sent back from a client (knock on wood) because they were unhappy with anything.  I spent far more time trying to please QA than the hospitals and doctors (and have told my supervisor that more than once).  ...

Typing Into EMR
Mar 20, 2012

For those of you who are typing directly into EMR/EHRs, how are you accessing the voice files? Is it coming directly from the EMRs or do you have to grab them separately. I've been asked to type directly into an office's EMR and am curious how this is going to work. It sounds like some are charging per audio minute and others per hour. I'm trying to keep my job relevant and go with the flow. Thanks to all who post their situations. At least we can all pull together, learn and keep ...

Vic Pro Typing
Jun 19, 2012

Does anyone have the email address for this company? I can't find their post.  Thanks. ...

Typing?
Jan 08, 2013

Are there ANY companies that do straight typing anymore or is every VRE.  It truly sucks as I've lost 4 cents line to VRE and making more than 60% less than I did straight typing.  ...

Typing
May 15, 2013

Does anyone know of any transcription company that deals with strictly typing and not VRE? ...

Typing Bliss
Nov 06, 2009

This has to be a fluke, but for the 1st hour of my shift today... nothing but straight typing. I was so excited job after job, my fingers were flying, life was back to normal, ASR nonexistant for a brief moment in time! I typed 314 lines in my first hour of work.   WHY OH WHY, MEDQUIST, CAN'T YOU FIGURE OUT THAT I AM SO MUCH MORE PRODUCTIVE WITHOUT ASR?  If I make money, you make money!   It really is that simple. ...

Typing-Baking-Baking-Typing
Dec 22, 2009

I put drop cookies in the oven, set the timer for 12 minutes, then race to my computer and type.  The timer goes off, I race to the kitchen, take out the cookies, put in more and set the timer again and off I go to my computer to type.  I have come to this conclusion: Drop cookies 12 minutes = enough time for an FU visit, outpatient note or short procedure. Bar Cookies 30-35 minutes = enough time for a consult, H&P, discharge summary or new patient office note. Now, this has got ...

Anyone Else Get Queasy When Typing
Mar 12, 2010

traumas and such? I had just sat down with a glass of V8 (no joke) and started to work and my first report is about a patient who slit a wrist. Now I'm queasy and nauseous and the V8 is going back in the fridge. This is how I know I'm in the right place in the medical field....no way I could be there and see this stuff firsthand. Blech. ...

Would Like To Know If I Am Typing This Correctly SM
Mar 14, 2010

Dictated:  ....recently diagnosed with 1p minus and 4q minus deletions. Transcribed:  ...recently diagnosed with 1p- and 4q- deletions. ...

WR Typing And Coding
Apr 30, 2010

Any info on them? Supposed to be out of AL but when I google them, nothing comes up.  ...

Has Anyone Noticed More Typing?
Jun 24, 2011

Not complaining,mind you, but what's going on.  I'm up to 10% transcription for this pay period.  Did they decide to cut back on the SR, were their complaints by doctors saying they liked it better when we typed?  LOL  just wondering if anyone has noticed it and/or knows why. ...