A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Those who do 2000 lpd straight typng, would you share some tips? - Pumpkins

Posted: Nov 17, 2010

Would those of you who do acute care work and average 2000 lpd share a few pointers with us on how you do this?  I've been in this business for many years but struggle to do 1200 lpd with about 40% ESL dictators in my account pool. Also, there's very little repetition in the dictation narratives.  I understand about refining your macros, which I do, but other than that I just can't seem to get my speed up. 

Thanks for any help that you're willing to give. 

I had to change my shift to get results... - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
For me, when I went to 3rd shift is when I wound up making a complete 360. I went from STRUGGLING to make 1200 in 8-10 hours to blowing through 1800 lines in 6-7 hours, and this is on a nearly 80% ESL workload.

I do acute care, mostly stats, and hardly ever get the same type of report twice--mostly H&Ps, consults, so my expander (auto correct really) plays a huge role.

Another time saver: Having 2 monitors. HUGE help when researching things.

Personally though, for me it's the pressure of the stat work that has made the huge difference, and also being at night I have ZERO distractions and can totally focus on work. No people coming to the house, no phone calls, no people on the internet at that hour to chat with.

I work for 4 hours straight with no break and then NAP for 45 minutes on my lunch time...the nap is incredibly important for me, as my brain is usually fried by that 4-hour point and after the rest I'm completely ready to do battle again.

:)

2 monitors - MT35

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you mean 2 computers? I actually do research on a computer (laptop) different than my work computer because I recently changed jobs and I was just to lazy to email myself/add my favorites to work computer. Somehow it seems easlier to reach for the laptop keyboard rather than using the computer I'm working on. If that makes sense...

Anyhow, is that what you meant or do you have a 2-monitor secret you'd like to share? :-)

Just one computer with 2 monitors hooked to it :) (NM) - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Tweak your glossary, get lots of samples for difficult dictators, - turn off the phone, TV, Facebook, and lock the doo

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You have got to know the docs enough to speed them up. sm - MTBird

[ In Reply To ..]
I was stuck like you too and never could figure it out until I decided the voice speed was my clue. You have to go up in increments though so you still understand them. Set you a goal that each week you will type up to so and so speed and then occasionally if you get stuck on something slow it down. The faster I set the speed, the faster my fingers type and I skip right over a lot of him hawls and ahs and pauses out of the dictation. Now I am working on trying to do the same with speech in increasing my voice speed.

I also agree with Hayseed. I was on 3rd shift and was making double what I am now simply because of less distractions and staying more focused when all alone in the middle of the night. I don't know how she power napped though. The 3-4 a.m. part was the hardest to stay awake for me but once I hit the bed and closed my eyes there was no waking back up shortly.

my best tip - .

[ In Reply To ..]
By using AutuCorrect I basically type in shorthand much of the time, e.g.: ret=return; inc=increase; dec=decrease.

Take it one step further, and you have
retd=returned; retg=returning; etc.

When you encounter a word or a phrase that you hear frequently, assign it an AutoCorrect entry, and in the future you will be able to type it in "shorthand".

examples:

pos = I had the pleasure of seeing
imp = It was my pleasure seeing
tfc = thank you for this consultation

GLTY (good luck to you!)

I do this too PLUS I type in text speak with expanders - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
Such as "convo" = conversation, "2day" = today, "2moro" = tomorrow, etc. If you text a lot, you know the common abbreviations used and it's really easy to incorporate them into the expander, lol!

2000 lpd - Ladyrose

[ In Reply To ..]
Another tip: Never left your fingers just sit on the keyboard, you should always be transcribing. Gauge the voice speed and operate your foot pedal so that you are never more than a several word phrase behind the dictator, then release your foot pedal to "catch up" then depress the FP again when you're within 1-3 words from the end of the phrase and keep going. Even better would be to gauge the voice speed so that you are on the dicator's heels so to speak, so when he/she says a word you're typing it as they say it. Then you start speeding them up a little at a time and try to keep up as the other poster said. You'll get fast very quickly. But the real key is to NEVER LET YOUR FINGERS IDLE (of course, unless you can't understand something). Idle fingers will cut into your productivity like nothing else. AND use your AutoCorrect like there's no tomorrow. I recommend no more than 3-4 letters as the identifier. Develop a "system" for derivations of the same word or phrase so you will remember it, such as first letter, a hard consonant, last letter, i.e., sgt=suggest, sgs=suggests, sgd=suggested, sgg=suggesting, or the obvious, the first letter of each word for a phrase with the last letter an "s" for plurals, i.e, omu=ostiomeatal unit, omus=ostiomeatal units, etc. At the moment I'm transcribing radiology with 12 different radiologists who sometimes use the same phrases with a 1-2 word difference, so I begin my identifier with the first letter of their last name, but use the same 3 characters to identify the the phrases, i.e, ffap=Fisk,foramina are patent, sfap=Simons,foramina are adequately patent. Even use your AutoCorrect for small words like pt=patient, wn=within, wo=without, nl=normal, so that you are basically typing in shorthand like the another poster suggested. This will help your speed immensely. Good Luck

happy tendinitis everyone! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I know all these tips are great but who is actually doing over 2000 lph on ASR? I was averaging 2200 lines a day but that was when we had decent dictators. Then I got tendinitis trying to keep that count with all the lousy dictators and corrections I had to make.

However, the best advice I can give is to set short-term goals and use a timer. Set it for every hour or 45 minutes and set a line goal for that amount of time. Good luck.

I think one of the best tips I was ever told for general t yping sm - MTBird

[ In Reply To ..]
also applies here. That is that when you are typing you need to mentally be going word-for-word and not letter-by-letter and your fingers/brain automatically spell that "word". Does that make sense? I don't know how else to describe it.
i know what you are referring to - steady eddie
[ In Reply To ..]
My typing teacher told me to concentrate on the first letter of each word, and the rest of the word will follow. It really helps.

Like posters above, you have to have - sl

[ In Reply To ..]
thousands of macros/shorthands, know your accounts up 1 side and down the other. I am lucky that I have 1 account and can almost transcribe before the doctor actually dictates. We have lots of templates also which we get the character count for. Also--I time myself to type xx hours before stopping for a break. Plus, having a very friendly platform on which to work is a major plus. We also have access to all previous dictations--whether it is reports on the current patient or reports by the dictator to refer to.

Does anyone use Instant Text or just - luddite

[ In Reply To ..]
autocorrect? i, like the OP, need to increase my speed. need the money, honey! (not used to getting paid on production, worked in hospitals for the past 18 yrs until last year). fortunately, i do have experience at a teaching hospital, but, now, on production with 30 specialties and hundreds of dictators, autocorrect "just don't feed the bulldog". thx!

I just use autocorrect, but ad more almost daily. nm - MTBird

[ In Reply To ..]
@

Definiitely one of the professional-level expanders created - for this work. Shorthand is my choice. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
(Although Instant Text is also excellent.)

English - Smileyind

[ In Reply To ..]
Auto-correct sounds nice, but obviously it doesn't help with the English language. (Your word "ad" above should not be a word for an ad in the paper, but should be "add" as in adding more words, etc.) Good luck with all that.

thanks mtbird and "shorthand"! nm - luddite

[ In Reply To ..]
x

A little thing I do that helps - - NYMT

[ In Reply To ..]
It doesn't raise my speed significantly, but makes life easier - In my word expansion, if I find my fingers going to the same keys for a particular word or phrase, even if it doesn't make sense, I add it to the abbreviations. Ttptw is how my fingers type out "the patient tolerated the procedure well", and I just gave in and did that rather than try and force my mind and fingers into something I'd have to think about. Get the idea?

another little time saver - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
When I'm starting my programs to start my shift, I also always have an internet window open with one tab at google, another tab at drugs.com, a third tab at the employee roster for my account, and the 4th tab at the QA submission page for my account. I don't use the last 2 that much any more, but little things like that can save seconds at a time, and when you're verifying stuff several times a day or hour, waiting for pages to load can add up.

Not sure if this really fits here, but.... - Shirl

[ In Reply To ..]
I have an "old" computer. Windows XP, bought in 2006, only 512 megabytes. It was running very slowly, even after doing all kinds of cleanup. I couldn't afford to go out and buy a whole new computer, so I bought an extra gig of RAM. HUGE improvement and well worth the $40.

Thank you, everyone, for all the wonderful tips! I really appreciate it. -nm - Pumpkins

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Add your doctors names to your expander. I added 2 versions...sm - ndmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I use drXX (X for the first letter of first name and X for the first letter of last name - you can add the second letter or second and third letters of the last name if needed to differentiate) when they're talked about in the HPI, etc., and XXMD (same rules) for when they are listed as surgeon or attending physician. Even with VR, you can't trust the names to be spelled right, and it saves a bunch of time not having to look them up.

I would also use drXneu (with neu being my abbreviation for the specialty neurology) if they always say "Dr. Khan of neurology" and I can never remember if it is K-H-A-N, C-O-N-N, K-A-H-N, etc. You can expand that to drXsrhl (with srhl being my expansion for St. Rose Hospital) if they say "Dr. X at St. Rose Hospital" and whatever else keeps you from pausing over the names.

The last thing I do is have an abbreviation for all my people who need to have their dictations signed. That would be like XXpac (physician assistant) or XXnp (nurse practitioner). Those are a little easier as there aren't as many, but it is still keystrokes you are not making.

What would we do without the letter x! I do almost exactly the same thing! -nm - NYMT

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Yes to X the Great! :) Names of institutions are often dictated in - Poppy

[ In Reply To ..]
abbreviated (and incorrect) forms, and I often don't remember the correct name, so I enter complete formal names with letters for the part I do know and finish with X for the part I don't.

Thus, Walter Reed would be /waree, but Walter Reed Army Medical Center would be /wareex. (I use the / to create a category of proper names so they don't conflict with other, more used abbreviations.)
One other use for x - - NYMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I have a "wild card" which is just xx, which I use for anything that will be recurrent in one document but temporary, like a patient with a difficult to type name or an obscure malady I know I won't see again for years.

Similar Messages:

Please Share Tips On Preventing Wrist/hand Pain
Feb 16, 2010

Hello Friends,   If you could kindly share your tips on what you do to keep your wrists going for some more years. Do you type with a brace, frequent breaks, hand exercises? Any ideas please?     ...

Word 2000 Word 2000 Crashing Repeatedly Today
Oct 23, 2009

I'm having a problem with Word 2000 crashing constantly today.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?  TIA! ...

2000 S/l Kilical ADA Diet
Sep 15, 2010

Hi there, if anyone has an idea on this it would be appreciated.  He says the patient is on a 2000 s/l kilical ADA diet.  She is in for syncope and UTI. ...

Another Problem With My *.acl Word 2000
Apr 02, 2011

I found out how to print my *.acl entries. I am now having trouble with trying to move what I have on my flash drive to my laptop that is Word 2000. I found where the *.acl file is (think it is under the MSO1033). But before I make the copy to it, I thought I would try putting in an entry on the laptop in autocorrect and trying to find the file again and that would give me the date I modified it which is today. I have tried every which way and no matter how many entries I put into autocorrect or ...

Medication S/l Lavetirathatum 2000 Mg B.i.d.
Apr 09, 2011

Patient had a kidney transplant.  This medication sounds like "lavetirathatum" at 2000 mg b.i.d.  Is this an antirejection drug? I can't figure out what it might be.  Any help? ...

SoftScript- Can You Do 2000 Lines A Day
Sep 27, 2011

Understanding the pooling situation and difficult dictators, are 2000 lines a long shot using their software.  Thank you for your feedback! ...

MICROSOFT WORD 2000
Dec 02, 2011

Some time ago I purchased a Microsoft Word 2000 and I have lost my product code key...any suggests on getting another product key code...someone please help, I really need this for work. ...

Is There Anyone Out There That Really Averages 2000 Lines Per Day On SR?
May 16, 2012

I ask because I took a job paying 4.5 to 5 cpl for SR using Dictaphone Enterprise Express Editor.  I was told that the minimum productivity for SR was 2000 lines per day and for typed lines was 1000 lines per day.  Of course, I never get straight transcription.  The most I have been able to do in SR on a good day was 1760 lines and that was being chained to my PC for 8 straight hours with only a 30 minute lunch.  I'm thinking that maybe I could do 2000 lines in a day if ...

Feasible To Do 2000 Lines Per Day?
Jun 18, 2014

I have a phone interview today and just found this forum.  I am scared to death to accept an offer.  My IC job will end due to VR.  It is a good account.  I type at least 2k a day and really need to be close to that range.  Is this possible at this company?  Should I just haul hiney in the other direction?  I wish I would have found this forum a long time ago ...

2000 Sign On Bonus? Really??
Apr 02, 2015

Just saw the Nuance ad on here. WOW ...

$2000 Sign On Bonus
May 15, 2015

Deception at its finest.  Has anyone been hired and actually received this? ...

Minimum Of 2000 Lines Per Day At TTS?
Jun 06, 2015

At Mmodal, our minimum requirement is 1200 lines per day.  That's an awful big difference!  Do people have trouble making 2000 lines at TTS?  Is this a way to get out of providing benes?  (I ask because I worked for a small MTSO years ago who used that method.)  Or are the platform and accounts so great that it is actually achievable on a regular basis? ...

Comfort Curve 2000 Keeps Disconnecting!!
Sep 24, 2010

All day today I've been having a problem with my keyboard disconnecting.  When I remove/replace the plug, it'll reconnect for a little while, sometimes good for hours, sometimes only a few seconds.  I know it's not the USB outlet because I've tried them all w/the keyboard and it still happens.  I did update the driver and the optional windows update for it but it didn't make a difference.  I've also hooked it up to another computer and it doesn&# ...

Good Line Count Software Form MS Word 2000
Oct 31, 2009

Does anyone know of a good line count software form MS Word 2000 that you can count multiple files with? ...

Tips
Mar 23, 2010

Anyone got tips on pacing themselves or how to make things go smoother.  I am a new MT and really want to do well since I left a good job to work from home, as it was a dream of mine.  I realize that patient is a virtue.  Something that I would like to possess more of. I am setting up my shortcuts, and feel like I am working my fingers to the bone, and not getting anywhere.  Any tips and advice on things that will help me move right along will be much helpful.  ...

MQ DQS ASR Tips
Jul 15, 2011

Been tracking my work for the last couple of years on ASR, am able to calculate my paycheck usually within a dollar of what it should be upon deposit into my account, and thought I'd share some tips I've learned from ASR: Keep your fingers on the keyboard. Anyone who says they are bored doing ASR isn't doing it right. It is just as challenging as typing, even more so because of the concentration required. It is much like playing the piano in that one's fingers are always mov ...

ASR Tips Revisited
Jan 28, 2010

Have read through numerous tips on this board on how to increase productivity (TY), but for the life of me can't seem to make much progress. There is one HUGE hurdle that slows me down terribly. At the very beginning of dictation, where the dictating physician says all the mumbo jumbo that should not be in a report - ADT info - we are to place a skip marker (and as far as my experience, it doesn't make much sense to place any more unless there is a blatant gap where none of the garbage ...

Burnout: Any Tips To Get Over It? Sm
Jan 31, 2010

I have been an MT for 13 years and lately I have been suffering from severe burnout.  I need the money so badly!!!  But it seems impossible to stay focused on my work.  Sometimes sitting down transcribing is nearly impossible - feels like trying to swallow bad cough medicine or something!  I have tried putting up pictures of reasons I need to be focusing and typing and have tried challenging myself with line counts, etc.  I just dont seem to be able to do it.  ...

Tips For Success With VR
May 14, 2010

Learning to use VR can be accomplished by any MT who has solid MT skills and is knowledgeable about their work.  I do not believe newbies or grads within their first 2 years should be using VR without QA backup (just my opinion). 1.  You have to want to learn to use it effectively.  If you try to do it kicking and screaming, being obstinant, you simply will hinder your learning curve and depth significantly.  2.  It takes time.  You will not learn it overnight.&nb ...

Any Tips About Proofreading
Jul 26, 2010

Any tips about proofreading? I am an MT intern consistently getting high 90s for grades in Acute Care but 99% is required to pass the program.   Tps for perfecting MT proofreading would be appreciated. I seem to make dumb mistakes and just  don't see them when I proofread.   Maple Grandma ...

What Are Your Production Tips?
May 15, 2011

I know that everyone says there is no money in VR, but sometimes you have to take the job you are given and be thankful for that. The account I am working on is 99% VR.  I was wondering if anyone had any tips on being productive.  For example, do you look at your report first and fix any obvious errors and then listen to the dictation or do you just jump right in with the dictation and do it all then?  Currently, I make about 5cpl for VR, which compared to some quotes I have rea ...

Tips For Motivation?
May 18, 2011

eee gads, every have one of those nights, or one of those weeks? what do you do when you just can't seem to get in the groove? maybe its the mt week contests and knowing I will never win anything (even though I meet all the production requirements) plus just plain wore out from trying to move for the past week or so.  tried to get some PTO, but never get approved. and then add to it the 3rd shift blues.  no matter what, just can't keep my eyes open! ...

SR Tips & Tricks
Sep 09, 2011

I am fairly new to SR and have been doing it for about a month.  Does anyone out there have any tips to share on how to become quicker?  I have memorized keyboard commands and am trying to speed up dictation.  Is that all there is to be successful at this? ...

Extext Tips?
Jan 20, 2012

Any tips on editing in Extext? ...

Tips For Those Just Starting DQS 7...smg
May 15, 2012

If you don't like those panels on the side of your text screen showing, you can drag the right and left margins of text screen to widen the text screen.  You can also drag the upper and lower margins.    You can enlarge the size of the font and change the style of the font (which only will change it on your end, not the client's end).  I am not in the program right now, but I think it is under Tools at the top, then click on the tabs to see which one has the font ...

Proofing Tips
Jun 01, 2012

Would anyone be willing to share their proofreading tips. I find that VR requires a much higher level of concentration and focus to catch errors. The text on the screen can become a blur. After a couple of hours it is so easy to "hear" what the voice engine blew out and not catch a small but significant error. I am finding that something that needs to be deleted from the text is actually harder to catch than something that needs to be changed or added. Any tips would be helpful. I do see m ...

Editing Tips
Sep 13, 2012

Hi!  How do you all do it?  I have a job that is 70% editing and about 30% typing.  I can't seem to get any faster with my editing.  I have tried to teach myself to only edit when absolutely necessary (not that I agree with that) and I have turned the speed up.  I am not sure where I am going wrong?  I try to keep with account specifics as well.  BUT I do admit that I still throw in a comma where I think things could be confusing or put in a period with a ...

Marketing Tips?
Jun 25, 2013

I will appreciate any marketing tips anyone can share. I'm a small MTSO and recently lost a client not due to EMR but the client went bankrupt and still owes me some invoices. I've tried cold calling which worked a few years back but nowadays it doesn't seem to work anymore. Thanks in advance. :) ...

Need Advice/tips
Aug 29, 2013

I think I read every single line along with the speech, and I think I double check every single ADT, too.  Then I get back my report back from QA and it's obvious that my mind wandered because there will be a line that is completely off and/or a wrong ADT.  Do you all do this and if not is there any tips you can give me to help me keep focused? ...

POSITIVE Tips For A New MT Please
Sep 21, 2014

Hello, I will be starting a full-time transcription job October 7th.  I have about 3 years experience in medical transcription, but have never worked for straight production pay, never worked from home, and have never transcribed 8 hours a day, every day.  I have been reading these forums and have read all of the negative thoughts about getting into medical transcription.  That's not what I'm looking for.  I would like tips for starting with a new company, new dic ...