A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Style Guides and the Craving for Conformity - Briana

Posted: Feb 14, 2012

I made a comment regarding the need to recognize the differences between both the processes and the reasonable expected outcomes with respect to the preparation of:

1.  Working trade documents - such as the medical record.

2.  Materials for publication, whether in journals or books.

The comment is here:  http://forum.mtstars.com/378004.html

I'd like to expand on what I said by first making two observations that I believe are highly relevant to this issue:

First, the human being is hard-wired to strongly prefer that which is "familiar" to that which is "different".  Without belaboring the issue, innumerable studies have shown, for instance, that we tend to identify with people who are similar to ourselves.  The reason, of course, is that de facto such people are "familiar" to us.  The phenomenon is found in many other areas as well - even physiological studies showing differences in metabolic rates when subjects are given tasks to perform with visual images of "familiar" versus "unfamiliar" scenes.

Similarity is but a stand-in for familiarity, and conformity is but a continuum scale for similarity.

Absolute conformity ----->relative similarity -----> Nonconformity

POINT:  People who have power over such matters have great difficulty resisting the temptation to require greater and greater levels of conformity, because "differences" arouse anxiety in the primitive brain. There are many people who find any deviation whatsoever to be quite "jarring" to their sensibilities, and these people unfortunately often wind up on the committees that create specifications of one kind or another - such as "style guides".  The reason they do so is because it is in their nature to gravitate to positions where they have a degree of power over "nonconformity" - the power to narrow gradations of "difference" to zero (they hope).

But, for a given situation, there are differences that are important, and those that are not.  It is, perhaps, one measure of mental health and maturity to be able to differentiate between them.

Which comes to my second point.  There are differences and there are DISTINCTIONS without any (real) difference, by which I mean a difference that has a measurable practical impact on any other outcome.

An example from the Web might help illustrate this point.  Colors on the Web are often represented by numeric values for red, green and blue (or RGB).  A particular color, for instance, might have the values of 157 for red, 16 for green and 235 for blue.  Let us say that a "different" color has the values 158-16-235. 

But, is there really a difference between the colors, or is this a distinction WITHOUT a difference?  Here, the purposes for which the color is being used must be considered.  If we are representing this color to be viewed by a human being on a computer screen, the human eye is utterly unable to distinguish between these two RGB specifications.  For our purpose, then, we do not have a difference, but a mere distinction without any (real) difference.  On the other hand, if we were doing commercial design work of certain kinds, the difference might not be a mere distinction.

The drive for conformity carries with it all manner of costs, both direct and indirect, and the greater the degree of conformity demanded, the more rapidly those costs mount up.

And this is why we have something that is referred to as "tolerances" when we design things.  If you required a machine shop to manufacture a case for your product, you COULD specify dimensional tolerances down to any decimal point you wished - if you want to PAY for it.  But be aware that both more expensive machinery and a higher level of machinist skills will be required.  These are direct costs. 

And these direct costs to manufacture your case would only be the start of what you'd pay.  There would be a higher number of rejects, for instance, and that in turn would increase your cost of both materials and labor. Reworks would raise your labor costs. It would be more costly to perform quality control tests on your gear, and hence those costs would rise. There are other indirect costs that could be impacted as well.  Every one of these costs will be reflected in the price you pay that machine shop for each and every case they deliver.

Now, imagine the shop floor with piles of rejects waiting for the scrap metal dealer.  Other piles are awaiting rework. The pile of "accepted" cases grows slowly - and at a cost of $25.60 per case rather than $2.80 if they were built to reasonable tolerances.

And now suppose that all of this was utterly unnecessary because cases built to a much less stringent set of specifications would have worked perfectly well, and the cases built to your extreme tolerances are not DISCERNIBLY any better, or more desirable, in any PRACTICAL way.

"Style guides" - when treated as such - become specifications, and every individual specification carries with it both direct and indirect costs, and the opportunity for "failure".  It would seem important, then, to insist that there should be some demonstrable practical value in each and every specification, or else question the reason for its existence.  Certainly, we should be unwilling to pay any unnecessary costs associated with specifications that amount to "a distinction without a (real) difference".

you lost me - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The good news is, I think with a few tweaks to your verbiage, you could quite easily write the Medquist (now MModal) Marketing e-mails... Whole lotta round about talk and not directly to the point, clear, and concise.

I'll post a Cliff Notes version when I get a minute. - Briana

[ In Reply To ..]
I keep forgetting this is a generation of sound-bites. Thanks for the reminder.

oh really... - got issues?

[ In Reply To ..]
A generation of sound-bites huh? NO, I THINK NOT. I am pretty certain that I top you in age by at least 20 years. Take a hike, Ms. Bully.
I should have said "culture". My bad. - Briana
[ In Reply To ..]
But whether "generation" or "culture", it's obvious that my original post challenged your attention span, and for that I apologize.

Incidentally, unless you're in your 70s, you don't top me in age by 20 years. I can't think why that's relevant, but now you know.
not talking chronological age, hun. - but you earned my thumbs down.
[ In Reply To ..]
Arrogance is not a virtue, too easily confused with sma'assm.
Neither is ignorance & hostility. - Oy vey..........
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
I see your thumbs down and raise you - a thumbs up. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
If you can't follow the conversation, go sit at the kids' table instead of playing with your food. The adults wish to talk.
lol - it was a figure of speach!! lol - thank you, made my day!
[ In Reply To ..]
Not encouraging an MT can't spell "speech" correctly... - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
LOL - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
nm, just LOL

Briana - Letitia

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you have to make yourself feel big by belitting others? You need therapy, hon.
You again? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Letitia - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Calling someone you don't know "hon" is what's belittling.

Why the "hon" - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
more internalized sexism displayed by MTs - sweetie, hon, all ways of infantalizing women in the workplace. Hey, anything to help drive wages down!
Here's the hon - xxx
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, someone has to add some sugar.

Style guides - Mg

[ In Reply To ..]
Could you repeat that please?

Sure. - Briana

[ In Reply To ..]

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen, philosophers and divines." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Every "specification" or "requirement" in the production of anything costs money, both to implement and to enforce.  As such, the specifications we use should be those that matter, and not those that bring no demonstrable benefit to the product - merely for the sake of "a foolish consistency".

Briana - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Whatever meds you're on, change the dose.
Doesn't get much more infantile than this, "Nick". - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
A better question might be to ask just how many personalities you have on this forum, and are all of them this nasty?
Jeez, what is WRONG with you people? That was - an interesting and intelligent read! (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
(FOR A CHANGE!)

Up until the time I started reading Briana's posts, I was starting to think most MTs were a bunch of knuckle-draggers.
Yep, most ARE. - Reader
[ In Reply To ..]
You are correct: Most MTs ARE knuckledraggers! It wasn't always that way, however -- back in the 80s and 90s they were smart coookies! Now they're just as ignorant (or more so) than the average Joes off the street.

Briana's posts are erudite, insightful, informative, and entertaining! She is one of a kind and a REAL asset to this board. I look forward to reading more from her!

Bravo! - Briana

[ In Reply To ..]
...and here I thought I was the only one that regarded the BOS as a Bunch Of S.... Good for you! Keep it coming.

Style Guide, have you heard of... - justme

[ In Reply To ..]
The customer is always right, whoever signs your paycheck is right, and professionalism?

I follow my clients' instructions to the letter (including such things as 1 space after a colon or 2 (as they are paying for my services) and adhere to the BOS, even sending my clients copies, so they are aware of why I transcribe certain items a certain way, and I have more work on my desk than I know what to do with, with a waiting list for new clients.

Briana - Curious

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you have delusions of being a professor or something?

Dear Just Curious - Briana

[ In Reply To ..]
I've never suffered from that particular delusion but I suppose it could be cultivated.

If you should ever suffer from the delusion of wanting to learn something, let me know and I'll give it a whirl...

thats funny - nutti

[ In Reply To ..]
because if I came to you to learn, my two professor parents would equate that to joining Jim Jones. LOL

It's not delusional if you could actually do it - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
do we think so little of ourselves as MTs????

Sarah Palin couldn't have said it better - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
All the negative posts re: Briana's musings, remind me of what they said of Sarah Palin - that she was "intellectually incurious." She wasn't interested in learning anything, incapable of taking on a new viewpoint or perspective...just the same old same old mass of unconsidered opinions and lazy thinking swirling around in the old noggin' you betcha etc...

No wonder there are no MT unions...that would take an act of the imagination and a curiosity about how the world works, labor history, etc...and apparently...people just like the same old same old...style...of being an MT...intellectually incurious....conformity...narrow tolerances...intolerance for new ideas...there's a symmetry there, between the insane "style guides" and the insane "style" of working conditions and wages we suffer...or specifications...are set so narrow...instead of wide tolerance wage-wise, say, 4-10 cents a line, we have a very narrow tolerance paywise, that is 4 cents. That's it, no raises, no shift differentials, ever.

Hmmm...

Now, THIS is good. - nutti

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a reason SP isn't in office, and it is not because of she is an intectual giant. LOL

I understood and liked your post. It points out some - of the reasons we humans are such sheep! (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
I have the same issues with all the "style guide mania" that has become the norm in the MT field.

Especially when, such as my company for instance, the MTSO tells you an account must be verbatim, then sends you "warnings" because the verbatim report you just typed wasn't in the King's English.

OR, on the flip side, they dump reams of style instructions for each account on you, expect you to read and memorize them, and yet when you follow them, and change an "a" to an "an", or insert a comma or a semicolon where it belongs, in order to keep a sentence true to the meaning the doctor intended, you're written up for THAT, too.

Never mind that the doctor can't remember whether the patient is a male or a female, or whether or not they were allergic to penicillin (he prescribed it, anyway!), we just better be sure we follow their random and useless "style guides" to the letter.

WHO ARE YOU?????????? - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
Dear Briana,

That is the best thing I have ever read on MTStars - it also ranks *quite highly* on my list of best things I've ever read, period (and I read a lot of different things). Oh thank you, thank you, thank you for feeding my brain with something intelligent, in a work environment close to devoid of anything resembling intelligence (human or artificial or extraterrestial).

Sincerely,

MT on her way OUT of MT'ing.

reading - ha

[ In Reply To ..]
That reading list and social circle must be very limited.

wow - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
have a nice day too :)

I love this board!!! - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
Most of the time, anyway, I love this board. Here we have a woman who posts generally very interesting, sometimes very funny, extraordinarily well written posts for what I am assuming is her pleasure and then ours. Can't imagine why she would do it if she didn't like it.

The best part of all of this is she gets attacked!!!! This right here is why no union (not that I would ever want one, mind you) would ever, EVER work in the MT field. It doesn't take hardly much at all to have us turning and eating our own young.

Here's a really good suggestion. Since Briana always posts under the same name, if you don't like the her essays, DON'T OPEN THE LINK!!!

It is call the dumbing down of the - MT profession. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Our profession is why we eat our young? - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure what you mean by your statement.
Not sure, but... - Thoughts
[ In Reply To ..]
That wasn't my post, and I don't presume to be a mindreader.

However, I think I can follow the logic there: MT has been so dumbed down that intelligent posts such as Briana's intimidates most MTs. Feeling insecure, they go on the attack, viciously assaulting the messenger.

If that is off the mark, then hopefully I will be corrected in short order. :)

@Happy MT Robin - You hit the nail squarely on - the head! MTs are a cannibalistic lot.

[ In Reply To ..]
<- Nonlinear ->

people - thinker

[ In Reply To ..]
I read the first para of this stuff and I asked myself, who has time to write all this? The answer came when I see how much attention and amniosity these posts are causing. Then I formed a distaste for such. And, yes, I am a learned person, blah, blab. Do you care? Geesh, I hope not. I bought that life at Wally years ago. Just a FYI. They're still on sale.

I don't understand all the animosity - sm - NYMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I just read through all the comments (yeah, I should be working, but we all know about procrastination), and am astounded that such a well written essay should raise such ire! For some reason, I sense a lot of defensiveness, as if fear is driving the negative comments. But fear of what? Independent thinking? Total anarchy in the absence of Standards? Not being able to function without someone to micromanage every move they make?

I enjoyed the read very much, and see your sensibilities as refreshing and a touch of sanity in a world where we're expected to be more robots than people. Take the humanity out of what we do and get VR. I'd like to see what would happen if they had to rely on nothing but VR for a week!

no - its her delivery that rubs people negatively. - not the message

[ In Reply To ..]
Even as satire, these writings come off as more a know-it-all, look-at-me, I'm better than you, arrogant design through a way-overdone attempt at creativity that only serves to drown out the point of her posts and any chance of being taken seriously.

And she hoggs the whole board pretty much every 2 - 3 posts with this babble that gets old real fast. She has done this before only her attack was much worse in the response to criticism, went away either banned or fed up, and now to our (THIS is sarcastic --->) overwhelming delight...what's that Elton John song? The B is Back.

I might add - she visits no other forum here for the sake of MT-ing, just the main board to editorialize.

I like people like that... - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
know-it-all
look-at-me
I'm better than you
arrogant

maybe it's just self-esteem and confidence? I love to read editorials, I love to hear other people's opinions, especially when they can present a reasoned argument. With humor as an added bonus! Not seeing what the negativity is about - don't like it, don't read it. Or maybe...you realize you yourself could step things up, and take a more cohesive view of things...reason things out...instead of just being at the mercy of the MTSOs, and let THEM reason things out (pay cuts, loss of benefits, etc).

Isley Brothers: "Fight it/fight the power"

I agree, it was her delivery and not her message - DM

[ In Reply To ..]
I actually enjoyed some of her posts until she went over the top. Since she hasn't been dominating the board again today, I'm guessing she has been banned. Of course, I could be wrong.

NYMT - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I read her, too and think she is plenty smart with a lot of good things to say. If she could just balance that with a little kindness and a little less condescending attitude, I think she would be more accepted. Again, she is plenty smart and has a great message--unfortunately it sometimes gets lost with the layer of attitude. JMHO.

Thoughts... - Bravo

[ In Reply To ..]
That was VERY well done, Briana! You raised several salient points.

I think the *COST* factor should get EVERYONE'S attention! Time is MONEY, and how much TIME is wasted over minutiae that have absolutely NO bearing on patient care?!

A couple of additional points come to mind:

You wrote: "People who have power over such matters have great difficulty resisting the temptation to require greater and greater levels of conformity, because 'differences' arouse anxiety in the primitive brain. There are many people who find any deviation whatsoever to be quite 'jarring' to their sensibilities, and these people unfortunately often wind up on the committees that create specifications of one kind or another - such as 'style guides'. The reason they do so is because it is in their nature to gravitate to positions where they have a degree of power over 'nonconformity' - the power to narrow gradations of 'difference' to zero (they hope)."

Very true, but I think there are a couple of other things at work here as well. There is an old adage, "Absolute power corrups, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Many who seek out these positions crave power just so they can throw their weight around and "lord over" others. Serving on a "standards" committee such as HL-7, the BOS editorial board, etc. allows them to carry "weight" and have additional "stature," which in turn feeds the ego. Also there is RELEVANCE. Once formed or hired to address standards, a committee or employee(s) will then need to PRODUCE something in order to justify their being on the payroll. Frequently this manifests as pages and pages of unnecessary material ("overkill").

I look forward to reading more input from you!

~A Lateral Thinker~

I bravo you Bravo - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
"lateral thinker" - I'll have to remember that. Sounds better than "swampy headed" (my preferred moniker so far) :)

Similar Messages:

Coding Exam Review Guides
Jun 07, 2010

I'm planning to take either the CCS or the CPC when I finish my coding program (probably in 5-6 months).  I've been thinking about getting one of the exam review guides (of which there seem to be lots of different ones) but they are pretty expensive, especially the current year.  I've seen some on Ebay and Amazon that are for previous years and they are usually a little less expensive.  I know some codes do change from year to year but I really wonder if the exam gu ...

S/l Ancel Or Ansell I And II Guides And Catheters
Jan 29, 2011

Sounds like ancell or ansell I and II guides and catheters?  Used in an angiography report.  Any help appreciated! ...

AMA Guides To Permanent Impairment 5th Edition
Oct 09, 2014

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows where to find a list of all the Figures and Tables in the American Medical Association's Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, 5th Edition? I work for an ortho who specialises in medicolegal and insurance examinations and we often need AMA 5 references in our impairment reports but because he travels and is generally disorganised, he often can't find his AMA5 book. Short of going to a library and photocopying a million pages mysel ...

ASR Style
Apr 18, 2010

Can anybody here explain to me why, when a dictator wants a slash between 2 words, ASR decides to put a space after the first word, then the slash, then a space before the second word?  We don't have enough things to pick and poke at here?  I'm afraid to give an example, you know, the privacy thing.  Let's just use generic.  ASR may be with this particular program, but it might put and / or hypertension instead of and/or hypertension.  It also li ...

Preferred Style?
Oct 18, 2010

Hello, I am wondering what is the preferred style when typing ranges for meds, as in every '1-2 ' or '1 to 2' or 'one to two' hours.   Thanks! ...

Anybody Else Get The New Style Guide?
Nov 02, 2011

Apparently this one is to be followed along with the BOS2, DQS Standards and Guildelines, and the CP.  I just don't understand why we can't use just one.  Most of the things in it are the same, but others are the opposite of what I've been taught and what the BOS2 says (for example, it is now okay to start a sentence with a number).  They at least explained what qualified verbatim is. ...

BOS - New Book Of Style?
Jul 16, 2012

Anyone know when they are coming out with a new Book of Style?  I am afraid to buy the 3rd edition since it is from 2008.  Thanks. ...

Anybody NOT Using 3rd Book Of Style?
May 04, 2014

Please tell where you work so I can apply there -- seriously -- sick of ridiculous QA. ...

How Many MTs Use The Book Of Style?
Nov 07, 2014

How many MTs use the Book of Style?  Am I the only one who thinks this is a total rip off just like dues to the former AAMT were?  Is not this self promotion to enrich oneself three times now and passing this propaganda off to MTSOs as the "industry standard?" I know I sure did not get a vote as to what is and what is not this so-called "industry standard" and have not used that book in years!  Poverty wages are now the "industry standard."  Who else is fed up with this load of BS? ...

Should I Buy 2nd Or 3rd Edition Of AAMT Bk Of Style?
Nov 24, 2009

Do different medical transcription companies prefer 2nd or 3rd Book of Style? Seems as if I could buy a used 2nd edition from a website such as Amazaon cheaper than the 3rd edition, but I don't want to buy an edition that is not used by medical transcription companies. Your comments, please?  TIA- Jane ...

AHDI BOOK OF STYLE
Aug 12, 2010

Can anyone tell me any of the new changes in the AHDI book of style. ? ...

Book Of Style Useless
Mar 16, 2011

It would seem that the AAMT/AHDI just look for ways to make money on their ole' book of style.  Changing from one term in one book, to using it differently in a second, and now the third is different from that.  What is the fourth going to do, go back to the first use.  Throw them all out. They don't know what they are doing.  Their transcription bible is useless to train from, and they charge a whole lot of money for useless. (Just a little frustrated, wouldn' ...

Book Of Style Version 3
Nov 02, 2011

I have a question for those working for a hospital as an employee in-house or at home.  I work at home for a hospital and we were told we must buy our own book of style version 3 but still expected to maintain high QA status.  There is only 1 book in-house for all to share.  I would think that the company should invest in buying each employee this book to improve production and it would be a positive move.  They refuse to do this.  I brought it up in a meeting and told t ...

Keyboard/Book Of Style
Nov 30, 2011

Thanks for the input. ...

Question: Spine Style
Dec 12, 2011

For whatever reason, this information has just decided to take a vacation from my brain! When the doctor talks about "bilateral facet arthropathy at L4-5" …… should I make it "L4-L5"?   Thanks! ...

Book Of Style Nonsense?
Jun 21, 2012

I have been working in transcription for 31 years.  What is the deal with all this Book of Style nonsence?  Doctors don't care if a comma is in the right place or not, or if a drug is capitalized or now.  They just want the correct measurements, dosages, symptoms, body part, etc. typed in the correct document on the correct patient. You ask a doctor what the Book of Style is and they would probably just give you a dumb look.  Who is making money off of this?   It's just the crazi ...

Letter Of Resignation - VR Style.
Jul 09, 2013

This was just too funny not to share!  :) To Wombs it May Concerta: I would like to deworm you cat eye am resounding from my apposition from the nuisance Company effective repeatedly. Thank you for the rapport of tougher impunity that you improvised me during my torture with your company.  If I can be of any resistance during this opposition, please field free 2 fret me know.   I would be graduate to dismiss you any day I can. ...

Changes In Book Of Style, 3rd Edition
Mar 05, 2014

Since I was terminated February 11, I have been reviewing some things in case I need to apply for some MT job in the future.  When I worked for M-Modal, I was supplied with Book of Style, 2nd edition.  I now have a copy of the 3rd edition, and they say some things are changed. They say changes have been made include dropping the period after courtesy titles like Dr. and Mr.  I always typed Dr. with a period in the report.  If it said patient was to follow up with Dr. Sm ...

Style Question: Dr.s Bell And Reynolds
Feb 10, 2010

how would you type this:   ...refer to Dr.'s Bell and Reynolds ...refer to Dr.s Bell and Reynolds ...refer to Dr. Bell and Reynolds. Where does the plural go? make sense...     ...

Book Of Style - What Parts Are The Most Necessary To Bone Up On?
Jun 06, 2011

I just purchased the Book of Style.  II realize companies want you to be familiar with it, but what parts are the most necessary to bone up on?  It is a huge book.  Thaniks. ...

Book Of Style - What Is The Actual Title
Jun 08, 2011

What is the actual title of the Book of Style?  I see The Book of Style for Medical Transcription, 3rd Edition - Paperback (June 15, 2008) by Lea M. Sims and John H. Dirckx and I also see The AAMT Book of Style: A Searchable Medical Transcription Style Guide (2nd Edition) - CD-ROM (July 21, 2005) by American Association for Medical Transcription (AAMT). One is by AAMT and one is not - I am assuming the AAMT is the Book of Style everyone refers to?  I am buying this for someone and want to ...

Style/abbreviation In Diagnosis Question
Aug 11, 2011

Okay, normally I wouldn't leave an abbreviation in the diagnosis section of a report (or operation or procedure at the top of an operative report) without at least putting the expansion once in parentheses after it. Usually, the only time I leave it is when it's a trademark/brand name that is always used in abbreviation form. Well, now I have a dilemma. One of the procedures being performed is pulsed lavage with GU irrigant to some diabetic foot ulcers. Normally in the body of th ...

Block-style Vertical List
Sep 20, 2011

Does anyone have a sample of this?  I think it should just be: 1.    Hello 2.    Goodbye 3.    Etc. However, when I attempt to look it up, it seems much more complicated.    ...

AHDI Book Of Style 3rd Edition
Nov 11, 2011

Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the AHDI the cheapest, or at least under 70 bucks? Thanks! ...

Style Question - Audit Error
Dec 21, 2012

I have been doing a lot of PT lately, and they always use the VAS pain scale, 0-10.  When the patient rates their pain, I have always typed it, for example, 5/10 or 5-6/10.  I recently got an error for typing it that way, saying it should be 5 out of 10, or 5 to 6 out of 10.  I really need some feedback on this as I think that is totally wrong.  If I am incorrect, can someone tell me where it says to do it that way?? I'm really at a loss here. ...

AHDI Book Of Style Needed
Nov 13, 2013

I am desperately looking for 3rd edition AHDI Book of Style. I posted here versus classified hoping it would be sooner by someone who had one to get rid of quicker. Thanks in advance. ...

Copy Of The Book Of Style On Enrich?
Jan 20, 2015

Is there a copy of the book of style on Enrich? I cannot for the life of me find it. I got dinged for an omission error because at the end of a list of allergies the dictator stated "parenthesis, details of allergies are not known, end parenthesis" and since it was a stand alone sentence, I left the parentheses off.  The transcription guidelines on Enrich for parenthesis say to refer to the book of style, but I can't find a copy. Thanks! ...

Where Do I Find The Transcription Style Guide?
Apr 04, 2015

Thanks for any help. ...

Where Can I Find The Book Of Style/MM Guidelines?
May 12, 2015

x ...

Book Of Style - Word Alcohol Always Used Instead Of Ethanol?
Mar 10, 2010

Is the   What is the Book of Style preference? ...