A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is 20000 lines a pay period possible? - Anon

Posted: Sep 02, 2010

I noticed a new hired is well cherry picking her way thru our ques but is it possible she can type 20000 lines in a 10 day work week - this is double any of us can do? We use express scribe could she be using some kind of speech to text program to get to this number.  Her report counts are high and we all work on same accounts but produce at least half of what she does in the same amount of hours. 

I truly need help understanding this?

Quite possible - eamb

[ In Reply To ..]
It is probably a lot of editing. I do a little over 10,000 each week (5 days), but and that's a big BUT, 85% is editing now-a-days for me. I'm not bragging by any means. I used to couldn't get near 10,000 a week. Editing has helped tremendously!

It's quite possible with straight transcription too. - Poppy

[ In Reply To ..]
250 lines per hour x 80 hours = 20,000 lines. No cherry picking needed. Ability to produce 250 LPH and more using an expander reachable by everybody.

I don't know what platform and transcription burdens you guys are operating under, but only doing half that does make me wonder why.

many obs - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
we have to check faxes, and type in all pat demographics... change site as per physician... its just not possible.. we dont use voice rec either its not editing. I use word expander for everything and I still struggle to hit 1000 lines? iwish i knew her secret
I see what you mean, anon. - Poppy
[ In Reply To ..]
Finding out her secret(s) sounds like a good idea! Even if she's another Judy (old friend who did 140 wpm on a Selectric), anyone who doubles production consistently probably has a good trick or two also. In any case, the bottom line is that you guys are paid appropriately.

can't speak for them, but for myself - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The platform I use at one of my jobs keeps me from doing more than maybe 500 lines a day. There are something like 16 clicks to go through along with 2 fields of demographic info per report. If more than one report is dictated on a single voice file, those clicks and demo info double. Add into it a doctor who expects 100% accuracy at all times with no exceptions, and you've got a recipe for slow transcription.

This has been a learning experience. When someone says they can't do more than a couple hundred lines an hour, I believe them.

Abbreviations - SKR

[ In Reply To ..]
What kind of shortcuts does everyone use? I have a lot created but still have trouble getting the lines I need per day. Any suggestions for better shortcuts/what do you use??
abbreviations - Happy MT Robin
[ In Reply To ..]
Everyone has their own system for abbreviations, but I have found that there are a couple of things that have helped me tremendously. they slow you down at first, but after about a month it starts to really pay off. The first one is every time you make a typo, instead of just correcting it or waiting for the spell check to get it, put that into your expander with the correct spelling. It will make you crazy at first to slow down to do it, but it makes a huge difference in the long run.

The second thing, for me anyway, is to expand not only phrases, but long words. Heterozygous, for example doesn't come up that quickly in my option list (I use Smartype), so I changed it to htz. Proceed is prd. Little things like that. Any phrase that is two words is the first character of each word. I may expand that to use the second characters as well, depending on the combination if it's already used. Pap smear is psm, peripheral smear is pesm, etc. I add to it every day and every day I come across a new combination that I've been typing "straight" and an abbreviation pops into my head for it. You have to start thinking in your short hand.
Agree with Happy, just want to add - Poppy
[ In Reply To ..]
that it's amazing (and exciting) how quickly your lists build and you see the payback.

I would recommend for those whose expanders don't offer a system for shorts (SH does not) doing that up front. Start, for instance, with one- or two-letter shorts for all prefixes and suffixes, for example, and one letter for verb endings. These are then added to the short form you give a body of a word, like

xed extend (basic word)
xedd extended
xedj extension
rxedg reextending

After a surprisingly short while, your fingers remember all the commonly used short forms and you don't have to think about it or check the pop-up list, but having a system allows you to just know what less commonly used shorts are going to be.

I am sure it is possible especially if she has a - sm - YYC

[ In Reply To ..]
a STR program truly honed and set up well. I do about 18,000 lines a pay period without using any kind of STR but that is a mix of edit and straight typing (25/75 generally). Did close to 3000 lines yesterday...about 60% was straight, the rest was edits, very tired hands last night but I got all my work done so was quite happy!

str program? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
This is straight typing we do not have editing for voice of any kind... that is why i think she is doing a speech to text through express scribe?

please tell me what is STR program and where can i get one LOL

Just a weird abbreviation I made up for Speech- sm - YYC

[ In Reply To ..]
Text Recognition, guess I should have spelled that out literally. She is probably using Dragon Naturally Speaking Speech Rocognition program. I have it myself (bought the medical version cheap, got lucky) but have not set it up with the dedication it requires. Snow Bunny uses it I know as I believe she has a health issue where this makes her life a lot easier. She has taken the time to fine tune though and is quite proficient with it I believe. ---What you would do, and what this MT is doing possibly that you are talking about is, they re-dictate the report as the doctor is saying it, into the mic of the head set they are wearing, then the computer program types it. Obviously it is time intensive to train the program to your voice and you have to learn how to format using your voice, etc. But once you have it down I am sure anyone can ramp up their production a lot. Maybe one day I will set mine up if I ever have to take a different IC job, but for now I am sticking to just typing it myself.

2000 lines a day is all it takes - I can transcribe that easily. - With VR, I can do more lines than that.

[ In Reply To ..]
So, yes it is possible.

thank you - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
i have my answer all of you feel its vr and i feel same. I guess we all were just left in dark but she must be using it somehow because 5 other people cant hit those lines in the same amount of time she has done over 3000 in a day ? and it blows our minds as to how.. now i have to figure it out we use express scribe and i ordered dragon for it as it says you can convert speech to text with the program - worth a shot

Dragon - SKR

[ In Reply To ..]
Where did you order it? I just searched and found it on sale for $38.99 & most of the other versions were around $100+. I don't know much about it but assume is compatible with express scribe or any other voice player. I use start/stop here.
dragon - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
i found it on amazon their web site has version 11 but ordered version 10 from amazon worth a shot - i will try it and see if i can get this to work and pass on the knowledge may be a saving grace for so many of us
Dragon - SKR
[ In Reply To ..]
I saw version 9 for $38.99.

Have you asked her.... - SKR

[ In Reply To ..]
how she is doing it so it may help you? It can't hurt to ask her. If you find out her secret, please share! :)

Yes it is. I average 2000+ lines per 8 hour day. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

NM....2000 lines in 8 hours - SKR

[ In Reply To ..]
Is that straight typing or editing or both? Or VR?

straight typing - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
i am assuming straight as i have worked on these clients for 3 yrs and we are not on any kind of vr... so how is she doing so many? its strange i will do same amount of reports and she has double the lines i dont get it -
Can you ask her?? - SKR
[ In Reply To ..]
??
Doubtful she would share that info! - MTinNC
[ In Reply To ..]
But it can be straight typing. I type 93 words a minute.... a friend types 135 a minute. HUGE difference in our paychecks. She averages 2900 lines in an 8-hour day. I average 1000 in a 4-hour day. Conceivably, if my hands held out, 2000 a day is a definite possibility.

Yes = did 30,000+ last pay period - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I just tallied up the figures from my last pay period, never having given thought to this before. I had 34,000 total lines (70% VR, 30% straight). Assuming I would maintain that 30% figure if it was 100% straight, that would still put me over 30,000 lines. It can be done.

30,000 lines - SKR

[ In Reply To ..]
That is amazing to me! You have to be doing something to help you get lines like that!!

Similar Messages:

MT At Transcend Who Does 40,000 Lines A Pay Period
Dec 22, 2010

Hey, about 3 years ago there was an MLS who did at least 40,000 lines per 2-week pay period at Transcend.  In fact, there was even an article about her and about 5 other transcriptionists supposedly "invaluable" to their MTSOs in one of those AHDI journals. How do you suppose she was doing over 40,000 lines in 10 working days per pay period?   I don't see how it would be possible to consistently edit 500 or more lines an hour every day on that Beyond Text platform that Transc ...

Lines Per Pay Period.... Advice
Dec 23, 2010

I have read a lot of talk here lately about lines per 2 week pay period. I see a lot of you saying you can easily get 25,000 lines per pp, some say 40,000 lines per pp. I estimate I can get about 4,000. Now, I don't work full time, but even if I did, I just don't get this. I type relatively fast - 45 to 50 wpm, I have the same docs every day so I have a lot of auto words built up. How does anyone do this? What hours do you work? How fast do you type? Would really love to hear some deta ...

How Many Lines Do You Average A Pay-period?
Mar 10, 2012

Not talking straight typing but VR line average per week or per pay-period. I know its a personal question but we are all anonymous here. So for example do you average: 7000 a wk 9000 a wk 15,000 a pay-period. 18,000 a pay-period. Me personally, I have been only averaging 14 to 15,000 a pay-period. Trying to work on improving and I work 40hrs per week, so basically only doing anywhere from 7000 to 8000 per week. Just curious if I am average, below average...I am assuming below ave ...

Will Someone Please Tell Me The Required Lines Per Pay Period?!!
May 17, 2012

I have asked my TL 3 times.  What are the required lines per pay period?  Combo of ST and VR?   Thank you. ...

How Many Lines Required For Part Time Per Pay Period? Thinking Of Going PT. Thanks.
Mar 18, 2014

nm ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

Is It True That FOCUS, Only Counts Half Of Your Lines When Calculating VR Lines?
Jan 30, 2012

if you make 4 cents per line at 1000 lines a day, they really calculate it at 500 lines per day x 4 cents, making it really 2 cents per line for the full 1000.   I heard this, and I am really interested in knowing if it is true. ...

Told Nuance Was Overcharging For Lines, Now Lines Drastically Reduced
May 02, 2012

My main account was a good one, and the lines were very good, mostly ER work. I have been on this account for over a year and a half now. We recently received an e-mail stating that Nuance had discovered that the line count was charging incorrectly, as instituted by them, and they had been crediting us with MORE lines than we were actually doing and overcharging the client. Now get this, they informed us that they would not make US pay it back, for their mistake, but that our new lines would re ...

TransTech Lines - Required Hours But Are Short Lines?
Jun 10, 2011

What do you do when you have the required hours but are short lines? I got an email that I need to "make plans to have my shortage made up." The only problem is that I'm up to date with my hours for the pay period so far. The other problem is that I have plans Saturday night and Sunday (both being my scheduled time off) that don't include TransTech. It's getting harder and harder to defend this company when they can't hold up their end of the agreement and continually ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average During The Day/week?
Jan 19, 2011

Just wondering if the TT MTs would like share ... how many lines do you average during the day/week?  I'm doing about 9,000 to 10,000 a week and wonder if I should be pushing myself more.  How much of your count is VR?  I do probably 15% traditional and 85% VR but that, of course, varies week to week.   ...

Custom Lines Versus Standard Lines
Jan 08, 2013

Which do you use - custom lines - 65 character lines with spaces or standard lines - seems like so much more for standard lines????   Cathy ...

Are MS Word Lines The Same As Medquist Lines?
Jan 18, 2011

I am having a discrepancy issue with lines....wondered if MS Word and Medquist use a different number of characters per line.  Thanks.... ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average Per Day
Jul 13, 2011

How many lines do you average per day - VR and traditional?  I know it's been VERY slow lately, but when things are going well, how many lines do you normally get? I'm trying to figure out where the average numbers are.  For me, I do about 350 trad and about 1400 VR in 8 hours. Well, my timesheet says 8 hours, but my clock says that number MAY(!) be a little higher.  Again, these are numbers I pull when things are going well and I'm not waiting for work to download. I'v ...

PTO Per Pay Period
Dec 09, 2011

Just got off the utilipro site and can't seem to see where it is listed the # of hours of PTO I get per paycheck.  I am a FT employee and have been with the company 6 years already, but I can't find this info.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks! ...

Period Or No Period
Jan 03, 2013

Hi.  I know I am going to get ripped for these questions.  However, I have not transcribed in a while and I cannot remember if mg, mcg should be mg., mcg.  Can someone help me update myself.  Thanks Carol.  Also, since I am asking, for postoperative diagnosis do you type " same "or do you type out what the preop was?  I would appreciate any help as there are so many different ways to transcribe it and sometimes clients have preferences.  Thanks Carol. ...

End Of Pay Period . . .
Jan 20, 2013

and I'm a little concerned.  My supervisor religiously sends out an email reminding people to approve their timecards, and this time - nothing.  I've put in the last of my PTO to cover all the hours I missed this week due to NJA (which is basically a failure of management to staff accounts correctly), and she still hasn't approved it.  She usually has by this time.  My concern is that MModal is going to start pulling stunts like some of these other c ...

End Of Pay Period
Jan 30, 2013

This is to those MTs who do next to nothing for most of the pay period and then the last 2 days decide to make up all of their lines.  It really screws those of who show up every day and work our full day.  I've spent more time hitting the "get next job" today than I've transcribed lines.  I looked back at the last 5 pay periods and every single one of them on the last 2 days of the pay, I was barely able to make my lines. If you're going to be a slacker then just ...

$161.00 This Pay Period
Jul 25, 2013

Welp....at least I can make my car payment.....Food?  Food banks here I come! ...

Got MUP This Pay Period.
Jul 09, 2014

Low and no work, multiple accounts.  Lucky I got what I did this last payperiod.  However, early this year I got a few bucks in MUP and was told to bring my statistics up or else.  Now, I figure I will be either fired or put on probation for this.  Spent too much time signing in and out for OOW crap.  Should not hold us accountable for that, but you know how it goes. ...

How Could I Have Earned So Little This Pay Period!!!
Dec 10, 2009

I'm $200 short.  The big difference is I did more ASR this pay period.  At this rate, the rent is now at least 3/4 of my monthly earnings.  How am I going to pay the bills and still eat? Hope I can survive until I'm out of here?  Counting down - 7 more months to go until my training for a new career is finished.  ...

Probation Period
Feb 19, 2010

I am curious - I was hired by a company and am almost at my probation end period.  I have been hearing a lot from other MTs about getting laid-off and or terminated from different companies.  I wonder if I should be worried that it will happen to me.  I would hate to think the worst but ... ...

Pay Date For This Last Pay Period - Is It 04/26? Nm
Apr 25, 2010

x ...

ASR's Training Period Over
Jul 26, 2010

Why are we still having to jump through hoops -- highlight and skip marker for more than 5 words, etc.  - for the ASR?  Hasn't it had time to "learn" all it is going to learn?  It would be so much easier just to delete the crap we can't use and have to re-do instead of all the red skip markers, etc.  Anybody been told that we can just DELETE and not SKIP yet? ...

When Does The New Pay Period Start/end?
Dec 09, 2010

Just wanted to know when the end of the pay period was or beginning.  Is Monday, 12/13 start of the new pay period?  I know pay is every two weeks. ...

Two Apaces After A Period?
Feb 16, 2011

I have always double spaced after a period before beginning the next sentence but it appears that this rule may have changed in recent years?  I'm wondering whether one or two spaces is generally accepted by most transcription companies? ...

Pay Period For Nuance
Dec 18, 2011

Hello! I was just offered and accepted a position with Nuance and am supposed to start sometime this week (was supposed to get the new hire PW on Friday, but it did not arrive, hoping it will tomorrow for I really need to start working again..sigh).  Anyway, I know that the pay period runs every other Friday, but what timeframe does it cover for transcription (basically, how long will I have to wait before receiving a check) and when is the next payday.  I forgot to ask these important ...

I Just Want To Work.....period
Sep 21, 2012

First off, thanks for letting me vent because here it comes......why oh why can't I just work and stay working in this darn MT field.  I've been doing this for 10 years and I keep winding up in this exact same spot.  I have continuously worked for more than 1 MT company at a time and there have been a number of times I have had to work a 3rd MT job just to pay the bills, ya' know the basics.  I will NEVER understand how these lame MT "scam" schools can eve ...

It Is Now The End Of This First Week Pay Period.
Dec 29, 2012

I pray to God this company goes under. ...

How Much Leave Do We Get Each Pay Period?
Jan 02, 2013

I just used a bunch coming into the new year and Im loaded up again..Last company I worked for took mega line counts to get leave and I never got any paid leave, this is crazy.. Not that Im complaining ...

One Space After Period Now
Mar 01, 2013

I love how they advertise that they pay for spaces, yet now (after the eBTXT conversion) the drafts are coming in with 1 space after periods.  It looks all run together, of course, not to mention making it more difficult to read as you're editing. ...