A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How I Got Out - DELETED - deenibeeni

Posted: Jul 08, 2012

Sorry kids, but a couple of bad apples have spoiled it for everyone.

Did you? - interested

[ In Reply To ..]
Did you already have the technical and science background? Did you take all the recommended courses? Did they give you companies who will hire you out of school? Did you pay for it on your own or did grants or scholarships help you pay for it? Just wondering as I might do this.

I did. One more thing...(sm) - DELETED - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry. Talk to the "bad apple."

Thanks for the info - interested -- nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Deeniebeenie, can jobs for "copy editor" include both ones cleaning up SR - and others editing fairly clean typed copy, or ?
[ In Reply To ..]
While thinking how pleasant untangling sentences while clarifying the author's meaning would be compared to this, I realized I really AM tired of cleaning up endless pages of SR typo slop.

Following your lead to copy editing sounds exciting, but I would want to do it in the right way, going the right direction from the beginning, so I could put this kind of work firmly behind me and start using my brain again. Oooh, what a prospect! ??

copyediting.. - cr

[ In Reply To ..]
What is the pay for that?

depends on many factors - DELETED - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, but I am being shouted off the board for "advertising."

copyediting again - cr

[ In Reply To ..]
That is so awesome! Congratulations!
Thank you! - deenibeeni
[ In Reply To ..]
I wish everyone the best of the best.

pay - see inside

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.copyediting.com/tip-week-what-copyeditor-earns

wowie kazowie. DELETED - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
DELETED

Deeni: Thanks for sharing! Question: Is this - Bindi

[ In Reply To ..]
program on a quarter or semester system or at your own speed?

Also, a big YAY!! for you, girl, for making this happen for yourself! You're an inspiration.

DELETED - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry. Not worth the angst this is causing me, getting attacked for being, I don't know what, condescending? for offering up my experience?

Sad day.

thanks, Deeni! I plan to look into it. (nm) - Bindi

[ In Reply To ..]
/
My question is - Maxs mom
[ In Reply To ..]
Are there companies that would hire you to work at home, just like being a remote MT, or is this something done in-house? I enjoy working from my home and would like steady work.
DELETED - deenibeeni
[ In Reply To ..]
An MTStars bad apple (see request to moderator on 7/10) has done an effective job of stopping me in my tracks by attacking me.

Kudos! - MBINNM

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm so glad that I was browsing this site tonight and saw your post! I have begun to hate transcription so much that I could scream, but when I saw your post and how happy you are with your new career it gave me hope. Copyediting sounds like it would be right up my alley, and I'm going to check out the UCSD program ASAP. Thanks so much for sharing!!!!
You Go, Girl. - deenibeeni
[ In Reply To ..]
I know that hopeless feeling well. We all do. I feel so happy to have found something that was such a good fit. I wish you the joy of feeling that you are at the beginning of a road instead of at the end of one.

Needing a degree - NJMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I searched for jobs online, and many of them require a bachelor's degree. Has that been your experience? I'm really interested in this, but I'd hate to find out after all was said and done that a certificate wouldn't get my foot in the door after all.

Thanks for the inspiration - you made my day!

Maybe, maybe not - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
My search has been focused on jobs that require an advanced degree, because I have one. But I know there are jobs out there that don't require one, that require the submission of work samples or passing a test to get in. As in every field, those jobs may not pay as much, but I don't have the sense, as I did before I had typed my first word as an MT, that the field's days are numbered.

There is always the possibility of starting your own business, advertising for clientele. I found two clients by posting ads on craigslist and in the local paper for only a couple of weeks. If I wanted to go that route, I'm sure I could have made a strong go of it, and I will probably always have those two clients and anyone they refer.

I think you should sign up for UCSD's info session. I probably sound like a shill for that program, but it's really just that it's my latest alma mater and it did for me what I needed for it to do. The info session is a GoToMeeting seminar and you'd have the opportunity to ask any questions you like. The seminar is free, so even if you decide to do a program elsewhere, you can still get some of your initial questions answered.

So many jobs that officially require a degree will accept - experience instead unofficially. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Since Deenibeeni posted (thank you!), I've been doing some researching, and a whole lot of salaried jobs in this field are clearly accessible that way, maybe almost all of them over time if you worked your way up from inside.

I also easily found a couple of ads for remote editing, low pay natch, that "prefer" or "require" but "would consider..." A way to get your feet wet. A company of that sort actually posted on this forum last year looking for people for a project requiring medicalese.

My first step would actually be a rather silly one--learn to use the standard programs DB mentioned. I've used custom word-based programs in various industries for decades, and could walk in and work on a computer in almost any office in the country before that, but these days I can't even set margins in Word, or make the font stay put. :)

Deeniebeenie, thank you again from me too for providing good information on this line of work. I'm sort of stuck in the country, so the better paying jobs might be literally out of reach, but I know I could be good at copy editing, and what I've found so far has been very heartening.

Wishing you ALL the best! :)

Is your current job at home? I am going to look - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
into this myself!

Yes, it's all online. nm. - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Deleted.
Sep 30, 2010

Deleted. ...

Deleted
Dec 12, 2014

deleted ...

Posts Deleted.
Jan 19, 2011

I do not post that often; but lately I have noticed that anything I post disappears. What is happening. Could I be banned? ...

Two Posts Now Deleted
May 24, 2012

Whatever company you work for, aside from this board, you need to let everyone know what is going on in this industry.  However you do that, write, phone calls, email, lawsuits, twitter, facebook.   Get the word out about what goes on at your company, in this industry, and how it has affected you.  ...

Why Have So Many Posts Been Deleted?
Nov 22, 2014

There were recently a few posts that I was interested in and all followed posting guidelines and all comments also followed guidelines, and now they have been deleted.  A couple of these posts contained information about a certain MTSO.  I am starting to suspect that certain MTSOs get preferential treatment and/or they are friends with this site owner or moderator, or possibly the moderator is part of this company. This same situation has occurred previously.  Hence, if this does ...

Where's Anil? Deleted?
Feb 07, 2015

hmm.... ...

Union Message Looks Like Deleted
Oct 14, 2009

I guess I could just rest on my laurels (whatever those are) and let it be but must complain, yes complain, about the totao lack of concern for those of us who have had our pay cut 1/2 to 2/3 of what it used to be. We absolutely need someone to represent us. ...

Why Was The EnigmaAJ Post Deleted?
Oct 16, 2009

x ...

Why Are The Laptop Discussions Always Being Deleted?
May 16, 2011

nm ...

I Accidentally Deleted Alt+A, Add To Dictionary.
May 16, 2011

I was working on some macros and needed a command for changing text to Arial 11.  I'm thinking "hmmmm, Arial, A." Let's make it Alt+A.  Does it tell me that's already assigned to something?  Nooooooo.  I totally forgot it's part of the spell checker commands.  So now, when I do spell checks, I don't have the option to add words to the dictionary.  How do I get Alt+A back to it's original state?  I deleted the macro I'd made, ...

Clicking On MQ Mail And Finding It Deleted?
Mar 07, 2011

Has any been having this issue in the last 2 weeks or so?  Click on MQ and getting a message that that message has been deleted??? ...

To The Coding Student Who Deleted Her Post
Sep 01, 2013

This board is not quiet because the coders are working.  It is quiet because coders can't post here.   This board has a problem with a small number of people, apparently not coders, who have a problem with any and all positive postings.  The description below that they jump on the posts like a pack of hyenas was very apt.  They attack the OP and all responses until they derail the thread and either get it deleted or obstruct the original discussion.  This has prett ...

All Main Board Posts Deleted??
May 13, 2015

Why have all the messages on the Main Board been "deleted by author"?? ...

Deleted A File In Express Scribe By Mistake.
Nov 21, 2011

I deleted a file yesterday, and need to get it back if I can.  Is there any way I can recover it?   ...

Can Someone Tell Me How To Get The ADT Info To Show Up On The Typing Screen. I Deleted It Somehow.
Mar 16, 2015

nm ...

Why Was The "ESL Thread" Competely Deleted?
Mar 05, 2010

nm ...

What Is A "Text Deleted Job"?
Nov 24, 2014

I got an e-mail this morning with one of those charts where they give you a whole bunch of data about QA submissions, audits, blanks, lines per minute, etc.  But one category was "Text Deleted Jobs".  Does anyone know what that means?   ...