A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Being replaced by machines - anon

Posted: Sep 23, 2011

"New technology" is often given as a reason for loss of MT jobs, even though skilled MTs are still needed in mamy capacities.  Ours is not the only field of work that will be losing more and more jobs.  A famous department store is testing kiosks with touch screens that customers can use to shop in the store, but just like they would online.  I had a cosmetics sales job in one of these stores in between MT gigs and it paid $20/hr plus commission.  We had to know the product, how to develop a following, how to give great CS, and how to close a sale, open CC accounts, and meet daily goals.   The salespeople in this company's less luxurious store average $10-12/hr.   Stores have skeleton crews as it is, but if this tech takes off, it might get worse.  McDonalds and some sit-down restaurants are testing touch screen menus for customers to place their orders from.  Imagine all the entry level and minimum wage jobs for young people that will disappear if this takes off.  The technology makes sense, but the impact it will have on working folks is disturbing.  

On the other hand - Anne

[ In Reply To ..]
All of that new technology will need people to install and maintain it. Someone will have to build or remodel the stores and restaurants to accommodate the new retail model. Someone will have to sell the equipment to stores and restaurants. Someone will have to deliver and unload it. Someone will have to take it out of the boxes and recycle or dispose of the packing materials. Someone will have to recycle or dispose of the old equipment when it wears out or is replaced. Even if the technology products are manufactures abroad, once it gets here, it will need human intervention to get it to the point of use and make it work.

It's hard to be the person replaced by technology, but as you have seen and pointed out, it should be obvious that the old way of doing things is disappearing all around us.

In the future, there will be oppportunities for young people and even those currently dependent on the old model, but they're going to have to put some effort into making themselves ready. Change is inevitable, but opportunities will still exist. The trick will be to find the opportunities in the change and be ready to make them work for us.

You made me think - Robo

[ In Reply To ..]
In the future, I will avoid all self-checkout and ATM machines, as well as try to buy American. Changing my ways.

Big Y is getting rid of self serve machines. - cc

[ In Reply To ..]
Big Y Supermarkets are getting rid of all self check out machines because after a survey they realized customers want to interact with a human being. I hope all stores do the same.
A grocery store employee bullied me into using the self-serve one day - and had to end up doing it for me
[ In Reply To ..]
An employee of the grocery store came over to me and told me the self-serve aisle was free. I told her I didn't want self-serve and she literally bullied me into doing it. I had no idea how to scan some of the items, especially the produce, so she had to come over to "teach" me how to do it. I was in a hurry and not in any mood for a "lesson", but I tried to cooperate. It turns out that I have no skills in that area, so she mumbled something under her breath and finished it for me.
I like to check myself out. Cashiers rush too much. sm - CrispyCritterMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I know exactly what I'm buying and how much it is. Not rushed by the cashier. Don't have to deal with rude cashiers.
I can't remember running into any rude cashiers - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I always seem to get really nice cashiers.

100 years ago. . . - just saying

[ In Reply To ..]
have you guys heard of those new fangled things they call automobiles? I don't think I like them. Technology will never be as good as the horse. What will all the stable boys do for work? where is the personal touch from the stable boy who knows my horse so well he knows just how much grain he likes and how he likes his tail brushed.

Not trying to be TOO flippant here but everything changes. The trick is to change with it and keep up or we are left in the dust because we certainly can't stop it.

We're not talking about - JS

[ In Reply To ..]
technological advancements that make a better product or improve customer satisfaction. We're talking about replacing "low-level" jobs with computers, machines, and robots as a cost-saving measure to the detriment or ultimate dissatisfaction of the customer. In this industry, I do not feel bad one bit for the poor typewriter manufacturers who have since gone out of business because of the development of computers. Use of a computer actually enables us as MTs to create a better more accurate final product in a more time efficient manner. However, ask some MDs (especially ESL MDs) how satified they are if they have been switched to front-end voice wreck, a technology developed specifically to do away with us "low-level" employees. Many of them are not too happy dictating AND editing their own work. Many on the point-and-click system are unhappy as well and have to hire scribes. This same situation can be seen in other areas such as the poster who commented about the self check out stations at the supermarket. It's a question of how much is too much as far as technology goes. When it starts affecting customer satisfaction, I would say that the answer is it has gone too far. And, as consumers whose dollars ultimately do the talking for us, we can stop it by not using it or doing business with companies that do use it.

Also, it amazes me the efforts taken to develop ways to replace the "low-level" employee. I have come across many in management positions who could be very, very easily replaced by a robot or a computer that would be more competent and would do a better job than they do (and probably be more polite). And I put the low-level in quotes because it's a matter of perspective. Bank tellers, cashiers, and other positions that are being replaced by machines are often the first and only face-to-face interaction a customer has with that company and helps decide whether that person will be back to do repeat business... even go out of their way to do repeat business if the experience was a pleasant enough one. If a company wants to save money, they should start looking higher up on the food chain.

Exactly. Many of the jobs that Anne suggests - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
will be created already exist within each industry - S&R, IT, "environmental services." These systems are so easy to install that employees that already work for the store can install them and they don't need a lot of maintenance, if any. A quick look at any of the retail self-checkout tech pages shows that these systems will allow 1 employee to replace 6 (on avg).

We lost manufacturing jobs and became - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
a service oriented nation. This technology replaces service jobs.

Just experienced this.. - Illyria

[ In Reply To ..]
I just found out that my contracted hospital is cancelling with my transcription company to move to Dragon Speech. Needless to say I am shocked. I only have a week to find another job, and doubt I will find one that pays 11 cents a line with only 5 months on the job experience :( I think I might be going back to retail until I can find something else.

Similar Messages:

Transcribing Machines
Jun 28, 2010

I am working on a course in medical transcription and I am at the point where I should get a transcribing unit where can I price them and which ones should I look to buy.  My course is sent to me on CD's. Thank you for your imput. ...

Does Anyone Still Use Those Phone-in Dictation Machines?
Nov 02, 2012

I'm resigned to the fact that I will not be working anymore and there's no sense having this thing hanging around collecting dust. ...

Cerumenectomy-something Was Replaced
Aug 14, 2013

Dr. has just visualized the ear with the operative microscope and cleanded his cerumen.  He had canal cholesteatoma of the lateral boney canal at the junction with the cartilaginous canal.  "The area was cleaned, there was some granulation present, *siptred extroffs* replaced, the remaining canal and drums appear normal." ...

TSMs Are Probably Next. They Can Be Replaced By
May 07, 2015

Good luck. This was the kick in the pants I needed. I'm outa here. Good luck to the rest of you. 2 weeks notice? HA I think not. ...

UAW Could Not Stop Workers Being Replaced On Their Lines By Robots, Only Needed 10
Oct 16, 2014

Unions cannot change tax structures which encourage off-shoring. Wish they could. CEOs earn their big bonuses by reducing costs any way they can! Why wouldn't they hire cheaper labor since that is their very purpose? Especially in a company with no corporate ethic requiring otherwise. ...

"The Politics Of Corporate Medicine Has Replaced Helping Patients"
Apr 10, 2014

Article on Kevin MD by Jordan Grumet.  The doctors are serfs, working for the corporations, just like the MTs.   ...