A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

while I am not defencing outsourcing - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I would think that this would fall on the doctor for not checking the validity of report.

defending that is!!! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Could have... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
That error could have been made by one of us just as easily. It is not an error inherent to India.

On a side note, my husband is diabetic and takes 100 units of Levemir every evening. 8 units is a very, very low dose.
defending - BlessedB
[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't read this linked article as this is old news.

It as 80 units of Levemir that was apparently the problem.

Many people take 80 units of Levemir.

The doctor should have caught the error.

The nurse should have caught the error.

They are two professions with the liability, certainly not the MT.

And the above poster was correct, ANYONE could have made this error. You don't have to be Indian to not be sure if you hear 8 or 80, 15 or 50 -- and when EITHER can be correct it's even worse.
Then it should have blanked for clarification - and not guessed. So MT can be responsible
[ In Reply To ..]
Quote from above post, "And the above poster was correct, ANYONE could have made this error. You don't have to be Indian to not be sure if you hear 8 or 80, 15 or 50 -- and when EITHER can be correct it's even worse."

This is what blanks are for...for clarification so that no assumptions are made in these instances. It does start with us folks.
BUT, have you ever listened to something and were - just sure you heard it correctly... sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Only to have QA review it and find that you didn't? You don't always know what you don't know. MT might've really thought she heard 80 without question in her mind (hence, no flag). As one other poster said, 80 units is not an unheard of dose where MT would question it, like they might if they heard 8000 units, for example. Even then, MT isn't required to know appropriate dosing for all drugs. We're not MDs or pharmacists. This is why the MD is the one ultimately responsible for the medical content in the report!!
Please . . . that's ridiculous - MumbleJumble
[ In Reply To ..]
If we left a blank for everything that was not clear, these reports would look like some sort of Swiss cheese on steroids.

The incoming quality of many dictations is so horrible that it's a miracle anyone can transcribe it.

The blame for this case is weighted - first it goes to the physician who failed to proofread the report before signing, and secondly to the staff who administered the dose without verifying. Since the MT did not administer the medication how can that even be a case for contention?
Cause for contention - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
It is a cause for contention because VR incorrectly documented 80 units instead of 8 when it was clearly dictated, several MT witnesses testified to it at the trial. The MT may not ultimately be to blame, but it's concerning that all through the editing and QA process no one heard it correctly. I was an MT for over 30 years and I now work in QA. I've seen quite a few dosage errors that didn't involve analytical thinking on the part of the MT, they were missed because of carelessness or simply placing a decimal point in the wrong place. I've also encountered situations where the provider clearly dictated one medication and the MT/editor transcribed something completely different. If the reports look like swiss cheese on steroids, so be it; at least they'll be brought to someone's attention. The excuse, "I won't do that because I'm not paid enough" doesn't fly, I'm sorry. I'm sure people in other occupations feel the same but they do a good job all the same or their employers fire them. Instead of debating whose fault it was in the Precyse case, it should make MTs more vigilant. The bottom line is that someone died because of a medication dosing error that began at the transcription level, I don't think anyone wants that to happen again.

absolutely agree - plus...

[ In Reply To ..]
A US MT could make this mistake. It's a matter of quality assurance on the part of the MTSO.

I agree! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think that should fall on the MT, PERIOD, no matter what country she or he was from! I think the doctor should have checked over the report AND whatever healthcare professional who gave the medication should have known the proper dosage before giving it. I am also a nurse and I know that if I do not know the dose of something I am supposed to verify, plain and simple. The death was in no way the fault of the MT.

No question, the MT is NOT responsible. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The doctor is fully responsible for any information he/she provides. They are REQUIRED to sign ALL dictation for accuracy. They sometimes try to bypass that with the whole "dictated but not read" BS but in the end it is them on the line.

There are some die-hard old timer MTs who think the MT should catch mistakes the dictator makes but we get paid close to minimum wage and the doc makes 10 times that. It is NOT our job to ASSUME what the doc SHOULD be saying. Of course, we should be allowed to leave blanks but we get penalized for that. So, if you give me minimum wage and lousy VR and tell me you want verbatim, that is what you will get.

it IS the MTs fault - - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
What do you think we are here for ?!?! It is absoultely the respondibility of the MT to correct errors in speech rec, flag for questionable information. When that report leaves your hands it should be ACCURATE. Reports are released for pt care every single day, prior to the doc seeing or signing it -
Nope, MTs do not go to medical school as a general - rule, should not be expected to know... sm
[ In Reply To ..]
everything a physician knows. Granted, the MT made the error in this case, but sometimes 8 vs. 80 vs. 18 can be hard to distinguish even for a US MT. It is ultimately the DOCTOR'S responsibility to read and sign his/her reports, bottom line. Regardless of whether it was India or US or BFE, don't peg this on the lowly MT making pennies for all her "vast" knowledge. The MTSO maybe, as they knew quality was trash from overseas, but not the MT herself, probably just struggling to put food on the table making barely livable wage just like all of us are these days! Oh, and remember, that's happening while doctors sit in their cushy luxury houses and drive their new BMWs. Bad, bad precedent to blame the MT, no matter where it was, as this decision could eventually haunt each one of us on any given bad day.
Of course, we are here to do EVERYTHING - PerfectWorld
[ In Reply To ..]
. . . We should know everything about medicine without the benefit of medical school, know how to spin poor dictation into golden perfect reports, work for free as instructed, take the blame for every other hand that touched the reports when needed, absolutely, all that is OUR job.

Pffttt! Sorry, my sarcasm was showing. Certainly the job demands you do the best you can do, but perfection is not in that mix by any means. Too many variables that MTs cannot control will always spell disaster.

Old news - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
This has been discussed in this forum several times over the last few months. The nurse should not have been taking information from the discharge summary. The doctor was gone and didn't sign off on the report. The speech engine got it wrong and the MT/editor/QA staff didn't catch it, this was a bit like a run away train. The fact that it brought about someone's death is tragic.

Similar Messages:

AFRAID TO BE AN IC
Aug 25, 2012

I am afraid to be an independent contractor! Between no benefits and no work. Does anyone have anything good to being an IC? Don't the employees get the work first? Do you "babysit" the computer a lot? ...

Too Afraid?
Nov 21, 2012

Is everyone too afraid to answer or are they keeping you in the dark also about human resources.  I know about 10 years ago or so MQ settled a class action lawsuit about how they payed wrong or something or another, but since then it seems like everyone who works for them is just like cows to slaughter.  Step right up, work for us and bend it on over.  Someone has to stand up and say something, and I think it might have to be her - if she can find out how to get to human resources ...

Don't Be Afraid.
Feb 20, 2013

Article about MT abuse by the industry.  I was nauseated after reading this.  I absolutely love my job, not the industry. "Part of the problem as I see it is that medical transcription has become a commodity, paid on production, with little or no acknowledgement of the wealth of knowledge a transcriptionist must have in order to perform the work." "Medical transcriptionists need to stop being afraid of what will happen to them if they speak up, and start thinking about what i ...

I'm Sorry - Afraid I Will Be Lost Below!
Dec 11, 2009

Under IC QA - thanks (waaaay down there - lots of comments) but after you read this - do I have options? ...

Don't Be Afraid To Stand Up For Yourselves...
Dec 30, 2009

What has happened to us as an MT community.  Whenever someone speaks up with anything negative (but factual) about this so-called profession, there is always someone there to belittle the person, or give the old (my personal favorite) just shut up, take it, and LOVE it attitude.  We have absolutely NO  POWER left whatsoever? Is this true? Can this be  -  in our great country - are we just lying down and accepting all that is happening. We are allowing ourselves to go ba ...

I'm Afraid To Ask This. I Came Over From Spheris. Sm
Jun 17, 2010

If anyone is still reading this, at tihis point, question is about time off.  When MQ bought us, we were told they would let us keep our time off hours.  Except they must be used before the end of the year.  Only problem is, they are not letting us take those hours.  We were even told we must use MQ time off hours or lose them before the end of the year. I'm scared silly to ask this, but is this what the swap board is all about?  If you need time off and someo ...

Not Sure What To Do. Afraid Of What A Physician Is Asking Me To Do. Advice
Nov 20, 2010

I have an account with a physician whom had one of his office staff call me yesterday on their cell phone, asking me to "delete" information on a particular patient, certain things in their weekly follow up visit reports.  He is being audited by someone, and this sort of freaks me out. I do not want to alter a dictation that has already been billed to insurance for.  I asked him to send the request to me in writing, so that in the event something would happen, I would have that infor ...

Are Any Of You Afraid To Go Out Into The Real World Again?
Feb 04, 2012

After my company recently dropped my account by 1-1/2 cents, I have been considering either a job switch or maybe even an inhouse hospital position but the thought of it puts me in a panic.  Has anyone else experienced that?  I have been doing this job at home for 20 years and one of the reasons I love it is I don't have to deal with the politics of a work place or people in general.  I was a vet tech before an MT so obviously I love animals and prefer being with m ...

IMedX The New Nuance? I'm Afraid So
Aug 29, 2014

After 20+ years in the industry, I've seen a lot of changes, but these big companies take the cake. They all want to be the big dog and think that eating up smaller companies, dropping everybody's wages, and sending the work to India and generally becoming a company that MTs ran from should be a goal or something to be proud of. Sure, boast that your company made 50+ million dollars last year and then tell your MTs in the same breath that they are not worth paying. As if one Nuance wer ...

Afraid To Sign Up For Medical Insurance, Don't Want
Nov 20, 2013

I know that sounds crazy, but this company is MAKING me crazy! Up to now, I haven't signed up for the medical insurance, but now I need to and am afraid that will make me a future "target" for firings/layoffs.  That's the main issue I have with this company right now - the "unknown." I know that many people really don't know what the future holds with their company and that layoffs happen, but this company has a striking track record for mass firings, and it always seems to b ...

KS's Ad States 'MTs Who Are Not Afraid Of ESLs.' When Will These MTSOs Get It?
May 31, 2014

time spent trying to get out a decent product with these guys. With technology on one hand and India on the other getting the good guys, ESLs are pretty much the norm for MTs with any given company these days and we know how to leave blanks and move on. "Afraid" of ESLs? Oh, no, no, no, no, no. You don't put that one on the MTs. It's the bill collector that drives us, and you will get what you pay for based on the premise that time is money. enough said. ...

A Tool Providing Anonimity On Line For Those Who Are Afraid Of Retaliation
Dec 04, 2014

I have noticed that there is a lot of fear among workers here when it comes to reporting any suspected illegal or even unethical activity on the part of their employer.  Therefore, I will put you onto a tool that might help.  It's called TOR and it was developed by the US Government to help people in places like Iran post on line without fear of repercussions from oppressive governments.  This tool not only allows people to browse the Internet annonymously, it allows users to ...