A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

AHDI cancer registrar course - just me

Posted: Mar 22, 2012

I got a folder from AHDI today about a course they offer for this. Guess they are getting out of MT. They never supported the MT's.

I wouldn't pay 10 cents for ANYTHING AHDI offers. - Nothing but scamming con-artists! n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
X

WHO is that from? Sure it isn't from AHIMA or somebody else? - Stir the pot much?

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you sure that brochure wasn't from AHIMA?

I ask because there was no evidence on the AHDI website that they teach ANY courses. They don't even teach MT, so I would wonder how they could come up with a college level, accredited cancer registrar program. I would also wonder why they kept it a secret this long, too. I have seen no talk about them going into cancer registry.

I also have to wonder why, if they DID have a course in it, they would not have included cancer registry in their recommendations for MTs the other day.

That was from AHIMA. I got one too. NM - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
x

More hysteria - reminds me of those lynch mobs back in the old West - Just Mass Hysteria

[ In Reply To ..]
Somebody makes a claim.
Somebody else believes it.
Pretty soon there's a whole mob of people going off the deep end--for nothing. They call that 'Mass Hysteria'. I think that's what we see too much of these days.

Yes, and then you begin to see why these people can't get or keep a job. - "Oppositional" comes to mind NM

[ In Reply To ..]
Sheesh.

Stuck-up management B_ comes to mind for me. - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]

AHIMA's offered one for years. Good field, not always work - nearby, need 4-yr degree for license. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

What "license" is required for CTR??? What state does that? - Are you talking about NCRA cert or what

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you taking about the Certified Tumor Registrar certification offered by the National Cancer Registry Association?

That requires an Associate's degree, which is a 2-year degree, not a 4. You can meet the requirements with an AA in cancer registry or, if you already have an AA, with a certificate in cancer registry (like the AHIMA program), and 160 hours of work practicum, which may or may not be included in the AA or certificate program. The programs must be NCRA accredited.
See the NCRA website for details.

CTR - inthisprogram

[ In Reply To ..]
This job does not require any "degree." One can attain the certified status a few different ways, but having a degree is not mandantory and certainly not a 4-year degree. Someone is posting without doing their homework.
CTR exam - Nila
[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.ctrexam.org/eligibility/

Here's what you need to take the CTR exam. Seems like more job ads are asking for a 4-year degree, depending on how large the cancer program is.

Similar Messages:

Cancer Tumor Registrar
Apr 30, 2015

Are there any CTRs out there?  If so, are you working from home?  I'd appreciate some input.  Have been taking classes and about ready to take the certification. ...

Cancer Registrar Vs Medical Assistant? Sm
Jun 01, 2013

I'm considering getting out of transcription. I've been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.  I'm looking into either CRM or MA - CRM through AHIMA online or MA at local community college.  I'm worried that CRM is too much of a "niche" job. There is a nearby cancer treatment center. However, I'm also worried that MA would not necessarily pay that much.  I would appreciate any input/advice anyone cares to offer.  ...

Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar (CTR)?
May 21, 2014

I just got a flier in the mail from AHIMA about becoming a CTR or Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar.  I have never heard of this and so my curioisty is piqued.  My question is could this be another career or is it another way AHIMA is trying to get money out of us?  I am not sure if the hospitals or clinics in my area would need a CTR but I will also be doing my research!  Thanks! ...

Any Thoughts On Whether Coder Or Cancer Registrar
Apr 30, 2015

is the more logical jump for an MT?  I love MT, but I only have a vague sense of what skills these other 2 involve.  Thanks for any input.  I am weighing my options. ...

Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar Online
May 23, 2014

I received some information in the mail on how to become a certified cancer tumor registrar by training online.  That's a possible alternative to this work for some.  The website is ahima.org/crm. ...

AHDI Standard For Numbering CKD Stages, Not Cancer Stages
Feb 14, 2013

I cannot find in the AHDI Book of Style, 3rd Edition,the rules regarding Chronic Kidney Disease stages. I am aware of the stages of cancer. I used to have a GU doc complain when Roman Numerals were used for CKD stages, not Arabic numerals. Does anybody know?   ...

In A Cancer Report, The Doctor Gave A Diagnosis Of Stage IIIC T4aN2M0 Cancer
Jun 14, 2013

In a cancer report, the doctor gave a diagnosis of Stage IIIC T4aN2M0 cancer.  Then she later said, He was staged as a pathological T4aN2a.  She added the a and dropped the M0.   I listened very carefully for the diagnosis and later in the problem list.  She does not add the a after the N2 in either place.    Does anyone know why it is N2a in one place but just N2 in the DX?  ...

What Does A Hospital Registrar Do?
Mar 25, 2010

My local hospital is advertising for this position but doesn't say what the duties are.  Just says you need medical terminology experience. ...

Certified Tumor Registrar
Jun 09, 2011

I have a question, if someone would be so kind. What is the protocol of becoming a Certified Tumor Registrar? Does this happen after one has been coding for awhile? Are there certain credentials? I have researched online and am still confused. Thank you! ...

Gleason 4+5=9 With 1 Out Of 1 Cores Containing Cancer "linked" Of Cancer Was 0.35 Cm
Jun 30, 2010

Gleason score 4 + 5 = 9 involving 35% of the specimen, 1 out of 1 cores contained cancer, linx of cancer was 0.35 cm.  She says the linked or linx twice in the document.  ?? ...

AHDI BOS
Dec 04, 2010

What is the most recent AHDI BOS?  Is it the 3rd edition?  What has changed from the 2nd to the 3rd edition.  When will a new edition come out and will it be AHDI? Thanks in advance, Barb ...

What I Want From AHDI
Jun 14, 2012

People ask me what I want from AHDI or if it's worth being a member. I am a member. I ask myself why I still pay my membership dues and what I hope to get in return for that money. That's a tough question. Years ago I learned from their journal. I met lots of great people at conventions and seminars. Then the journal and web site started being more promotional instead of educational or professional. There was always something new that was going to change our lives if we would just sig ...

Thank You AHDI
Sep 10, 2013

MMODAL for taking my profession of being a skilled worker making a living rate, and turning it into a menial, pull them off the street, minimum wage worker. We are the new gutter rats. I have no good will toward this company any longer, and as for AHDI (only a fool joins them), I think you know what you can do, ditto MM. ...

AHDI BOS 3
Oct 10, 2014

I recently began a new position where they adhere to the AHDI Book of Style 3 guidelines.  Obviously, not having used this version before I was not aware one of the wonderful changes AHDI has made.  I understand AHDI exists to set the standards as one of their main objectives.  I also was under the assumption that AHDI had been made up primarily of MTs (at least that is who made them to start with) and has grown to include MTSOs.  What I find so infuriating and baffling at t ...

Here Is My Correspondence With AHDI
Mar 03, 2010

I got this note from a guy named Doggett in response to a note I sent to ADHI about throwing roadblocks in front of MTs to getting work and earning a decent living: "On March 24, AHDI members and staff will go to Capitol Hill to speak with their federal legislators, key members of the House and Senate, and administrative agency officials about the critical need for “meaningful use” and EHR certification regulations to recognize how medical transcriptionists work hard to ensure the a ...

AHDI Membership
Apr 19, 2010

Can anyone help me register for the AHDI membership.  I haven't done this yet and can't figure it out.  I'm so confused.  When I go to the web page and try to register it keeps wanting me to pay $135.  Isn't this supposed to be free now with MQ? ...

AHDI An Advocate?
May 24, 2010

I went to the AHDI web site to see if they might actually be an advocate for transcriptionists, who are always at the bottom of the ladder in most companies.  We are the worker bees and there all the queens, who reign supreme.  Imagine my surprise when at the top of the screen, there is a banner for Transcend, advertising that "they are always looking"   ... How can an organization that espouses to care about transcriptionists advocate for a specific company ... I k ...

AHDI RENEWAL
Jul 11, 2010

??  Is it worth it?  At $135 I think they are getting a bit greedy......I'm just sending out feelers.  Money is tight and I just don't know if it is worth it at this point in time. ...

How Does Ahdi Want July 4th?
Aug 30, 2010

When a Dr is dictating about "July 4th" is it correct to say July 4th? or should it be transcribed as July Fourth? ...

AHDI And RMT Exam
Dec 05, 2010

I will be graduating from TTC's Medical Transcription class soon so I am now wondering if I should join AHDI and if I should take the RMT.  I have read the information on the AHDI site which of course points to the pros of both. But I have also read posts from seasoned MTs who have not joined AHDI and some of them say that taking the RMT (or CMT for that matter) carries very little, if any, weight when locating a job. I know if you join AHDI while in school you get a discount on member ...

Goodbye, AHDI!
Jan 13, 2011

When I was a medical transcription student last winter at a local two-year college, most of us students joined AHDI at the encouragement of our instructors. My membership has expired and in today's mail was a membership renewal request from AHDI. I tossed it in the trash. I can't afford the membership because I can't get a job because AHDI supports offshoring of medical transcription jobs. Goodbye, AHDI. ...

AHDI Rule
Feb 10, 2011

What is BOS ruling on using the word "post" when typing (for example) status postcholecystectomy?  Where in BOS is this found? ...

Shame On You AHDI
Jul 17, 2012

They try to get you to certify as an MT, join our organization they say, some companies (although not many anymore) want you to be a CMT, yet as I went onto the website to look something up, Indian transcription companies are advertising on the Benchmark website?  How is that supporting the American MTs and you want us to pay you money every year?  Shame on you.  You will never get any of my money or support.  ...

Why Is AHDI A Scam, You Ask?
Aug 28, 2012

It was a get-rich scheme from the very beginning. Brilliant, really. Except that when they championed the offshoring of our work, and the lowering of our wages, they made it so that most MTs with anything between the ears but empty space would question the value of the BOS, the validity of the CMT, and the very existence of this so-called "for-the-MTs" organization. S - Superficial,C - Contrived,A - andM - Meritless! ...

AHDI Advocating
Sep 08, 2012

too little too late.  Sounds like a ploy to increase membership.  ...

AHDI Strikes Again
Nov 02, 2012

I was looking for the BOS, 3rd edition.  This only comes in the book format and on-line yearly subscription.  It does not come on a CD-ROM.  So, at the yearly price of $30, they charge you over and over again for something that we all know won't be updated until they decide to present the 4th edition.  What a bunch of scam artists.  I guess I'm stuck with a book -- how archaic.  Another validation for my having dropped my membership to this group that ju ...

Another AHDI Goodie...
Dec 04, 2013

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-lowery/7-ways-outsourcing-can-he_b_4350244.html I especially like reason #2. Pardon me while I don't agree with this garbage. ...

AAMT/AHDI
Mar 19, 2014

What is even the PURPOSE of the AAMT/AHDI or whatever they call themselves now?  They are in no way representative of me or any other MT that I know and in fact have been a key factor in the demise of medical transcription in my opinion.  A bunch of no life having harridans trying and unfortunately succeeding in making themselves relevant.  In other news, several fellow MTs have written to their state reps regarding offshoring and were told that inquiries into the matter reve ...

Anybody Going To AHDI Annual?
Jul 22, 2014

x ...

AHDI Tax Question
Mar 17, 2015

Just wondering if anybody knows whether you can claim the money you spend to attend AHDI webinars to keep your CHDS (formerly CMT) certification or not.  Seems like I saw it discussed here once, but I don't remember the details.   ...