A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Good description of "coding" . . . - Very Complete

Posted: Sep 25, 2012

Found this at www usajobs gov.   It is a very good description of what coding is.  You can see how challenging the duties are. 

The salary ranges are good, too.   It's a VA position, where coders are GS 6/7/8.  Upward promotion requires a year as a 6, a year as a 7, then you're an 8 if you learn what you should at each level.   They also have positions at the 9/11 and higher levels associated with or supervising coding.  A performance board assigns the grade, so an experienced coder might start at a 7 or an 8, not necessarily the bottom.

If you are interested, it closes on 10/3/2012.  Application is entirely online, so you could do it in time.  The job number is NY-12-AJM-750917.  It is at a particularly nice VA and it might be possible to work from home soon.  Nobody ever leaves jobs like this, except when they are promoted, so pounce on it while you can!   The pay might make it worth relocating to this very nice area of the country--right on the water next to the Gulf Beaches in St. Petersburg.  This facility is a many-times-over award-winner.  Really nice.

The Medical Records Technician (Coder) is responsible for performing a quality review of patient care documents and assigning codes specific for the type of care provided. Assigns codes to documented patient care encounters (inpatient and outpatient) covering the full range of health care services provided by the healthcare system. Patient encounters are often complicated and complex requiring extensive coding expertise. Applies advanced knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy & physiology, disease processes, treatment modalities, diagnostic tests, medications, procedures as well as the principles and practices of health services and the organizational structure to ensure proper code selection. Selects and assigns codes from the current version of several coding systems to include the International Classification of Diseases-Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM), Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), and HCPCS. Adheres to accepted coding practices, guidelines and conventions when choosing the most appropriate diagnosis, operation, procedure, ancillary, or Evaluation and Management code to ensure ethical, accurate, and complete coding. Also applies codes based on guidelines specific to certain diagnoses, procedures, and other criteria (in inpatient and outpatient settings) used to classify patients under the Veterans Equitable Resource Allocation (VERA) program that categorizes all VA patients into specific classes representing their clinical conditions and resource needs. Monitors ever-changing regulatory and policy requirements affecting coded information for the full spectrum of services provided by the healthcare system. Timely compliance with coding changes is crucial to the accuracy of the facility database as well as all cost recovery programs.

Medical Record Technician Coding Positions, GS-6 Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills and Abilities 

1.  Ability to apply knowledge of medical terminology, human anatomy/pathophysiology, and disease processes to fully understand the content of a patient record; 

2.  Ability to navigate efficiently through the paper and electronic medical record to find needed information;

3.  Skill in interpreting and adapting health information guidelines that are not completely applicable to the work or have gaps in specificity and ability to use judgment in completing assignments with incomplete or inadequate guidelines;

GS-7 

Medical Record Technician Coding Positions, GS-7  Medical coding assignments at this grade level represent the advanced developmental level leading to the full performance level.  It is expected that the medical coder will do more than validate code assignments made by clinical staff, but will have the skill to make independent judgment in selection of codes based on medical documentation and personal coding knowledge and skill.  Reviewing codes selected by physicians/ health care providers or reviewing entries on an encounter form or superbill is not considered comprehensive coding and, without the demonstration of additional skills, is not acceptable to achieve this level.  Since coding rules are specific to individual classification systems, knowledge of coding systems other than the one utilized in the position for which the individual is being boarded does not automatically meet the requirements of the position.  Generally, to receive credit for experience, the coder should have performed the type of coding specified as a significant portion of duties on a regular and recurring basis, and provide evidence of the core competencies identified.

Medical Record Technician (Medical Coder) Positions, GS-8.  This is considered to be the full performance level for this assignment.  Certification at this grade level is highly desired.  In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following KSAs. You will be evaluated against the following selective factors. Please include the following KSA’s in your resume: 

1. Ability to analyze the medical record to identify all pertinent diagnoses and procedures for coding, and to evaluate the adequacy of the documentation.  This includes the ability to read and understand the content of the medical record, the terminology, the significance of the comments, and the disease process/pathophysiology of the patient.

2. Skill in reviewing medical record documentation and assigning current versions of the classification systems required in the current position, such as ICD and CPT.

3. Knowledge of the full scope of coding and abstracting including inpatient discharges, surgical cases, diagnostic studies and procedures, outpatient encounters, and inpatient professional fees for a highly diversified range of specialties and subspecialties, such as orthopedics, neurosurgery, cardiology, gastroenterology, plastic surgery, spinal cord injury,  blind rehabilitation, anesthesia, acute and long term psychiatry including addiction treatment, hospice, ambulatory surgery, and other types of care.

It is my goal to work for the government - squarepeg

[ In Reply To ..]
When I get my certification.

me too - student

[ In Reply To ..]
Interestingly, I was just on usajobs yesterday and looking at the various positions available once I have a little experience. It seems like these will not be useful without some experience. It is very much my goal to work for a military base or VA hospital as a coder and eventually an auditor. Thanks for posting the information, OP.

Similar Messages:

Can You Succeed In Coding If You Aren't Good At MT
Apr 05, 2012

I'm very interested in learning new things. I have a certificate in cosmetology, an associate degree in business admin/microcomputers (worthless now because I learn pre-windows), had a real estate license (couldn't make money in my area), a dental assitant diploma (can no longer work in the field due to a latex allergy and a hip replacement due to a tumor), and a MT certiificate. All the other fields academically I did VERY well at but MT was a struggle for me because I could never dev ...

Looking For A Good Online Coding College
Jul 17, 2012

After much research i had decided on taking coding classes through Andrew College. Unfortunately since they are not an acredited college Vocational Rehab will not help pay. Can anyone recommend a good acredited college or one that accepts FASA grants? Looking to take online courses or classes in Ft. Wayne, IN. ...

Coding :: Do You Feel The Compensation Is Good?
Jan 08, 2013

I have had my own medical transcription business for almost 30 years.  Recently, my largest client informed me they are going to start using a template that docs will fill out when they see patients.  I am losing a lot of income and really need to replace it.  My friend told me that coding is a good thing to get into now.  I don't want to spend the time and/or money learning that if the pay is not good and the jobs aren't plentiful.  I have tons of medical transcription experience ...

Good Medical Coding School
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, does anyone out there know of good medical coding schools, either in school or online, perferrably online.  Heard of The Andrews School?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Minny ...

How Long Should A Thorough, Good Coding Program
Jan 16, 2015

variables involved, i.e. FT/PT, working, not working, etc. I'm just looking for a ballpark figure from those who have already completed a program. Thanks for any info! ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Coding Program For An
Apr 26, 2015

xx ...

Schooling - Good Online Coding Classes? 
Jan 21, 2010

Any recommendations on good online coding classes?  ...

Schooling - Good On-line Course For Coding/billing?
Apr 20, 2010

Is there a good on-line course for coding/billing?  I don't think M-Tec has a program, a program that is well known to the industry and grads that are well prepared.  Thanks. ...

Could Anyone Recommend Good Medical Coding Websites?
Jan 31, 2012

Hello, I am becoming disenchanted with the medical transcription profession and how it has become less lucrative (although some may disagree). I wanted to look into medical coding as an alternative at-home (remote) or in-office job.  I was hoping someone could recommend a few good websites that discuss the profession, how to prepare for it, how long training typically takes before you can "launch yourself", how lucrative it could be if you really apply yourself, and so on. I've hear ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

Learn From My Mistake About Picking A Good Coding Program
Jan 20, 2012

I am in my last semester of an HIT program at my local community college.  This program is accredited through CAHIIM.  I actually found this program on the AHIMA website as an approved AHIMA coding program and was so excited that it was in my hometown.  Well, almost two years later and $4000 in student debt, I still have no idea how to code.  Sure, I'm great at Math 101 and English 101 and my anatomy is amazing, but I have no idea how to code.  One class that I have ...

Another Good Site To Search For Coding Jobs: Twitter
Mar 11, 2012

Yep, you read that right: Twitter. I have an account and just now I did a search at the top of the page, and you wouldn't believe all the results that came up, local results from different parts of the country posting coding jobs. It's great. So that's just FYI for y'all. ...

Which Of The AHIMA-approved Coding Programs Are Good Quality?
May 08, 2014

Has anyone taken any of the AHIMA-approved coding programs and gotten credentials and a job? I'm just wondering which of them prepare you adequately to pass the credential tests and get hired. I looked on the AHIMA site at the distance learning coding programs they recommend, and here they are: Camden County College Career Step Dakota State University Great Falls College Montana State University Lone Star College North Dakota State College of Science Santa Barbara City College Shor ...

Possible Kyphosis Description
Aug 05, 2010

This doctor is describing a patient with kyphosis.  The sentence goes like this, "Tenderness of the back.  Flattened lower back, (s/l shoper's) 14 cm.  Occiput wall 10cm."  I've never heard of this before. ...

Speech Description
Aug 18, 2010

speech is slightly [s/l dysarsik] ...

Laminectomy Description
May 12, 2011

Help! Sounds like it begins with "sq" "squalolimbal" "square window" ......."a ___________laminectomy was cut"  ...

Description Of Hands
Oct 02, 2012

Doctor is dictating what sounds like "She is also having drawing of her hands." I am assuming the patient is doing something with her hands, wanted to make sure that the statement is accurate. Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks! ...

Coder II Job Description
Mar 14, 2014

Can anyone tell me if this is an entry level coder job or does it sound like they are looking for a more experienced person? I am taking the CPC-H exam June 6th. It states medical records coder II.  Qualifications: EDUCATION: Associate Degree in Health Information Technology preferred. Eligible for RHIT or coding certification. SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Codes all diagnosis and procedures on discharged inpatient, and outpatient charts using ICD-9 diagnosis codes, ICD-9 procedure c ...

Trouble W/ Musculoskeletal Description
Aug 04, 2010

In the musculoskeletal part of this physical exam, the dr. is dictating that the patient has "long-term deformities with a swan neck of the 2nd finger of the left hand a (s/l jacuze) appearance of the 3rd finger..."  I have no idea what this means or how to spell it to even begin to look it up.  Has anyone ever heard of anything like it? ...

Rash Description Or Position?
Oct 19, 2010

I'm having trouble deciphering this word b/c I'm not sure if I should be looking for a type of rash or if she's simply telling where it is..."Rash - s/l privacy left arm - lupus erythematosus versus dermatosis versus lupus-like reaction to a drug versus urticaria...Resolution of the erythematous raised lesions on the upper arm." That is all that is said about the rash.  Thanks for any help! ...

Lymph Nodes Description
Feb 17, 2012

mediastinoscopy with dissection of level 4 right and left nodes. Doc says what s/l 'antithotic' and enlarged lymph nodes. These lymph nodes were hard and suspicious for metastatic disease. I cannot figure this out PLEASE HELP ...

Basal Cell Carcinoma Description
Nov 05, 2009

a small, raised lesion that actually appears to be a basal cell carcinoma.  It is in the vermilion border.  It is associated with some dimpling in the center and has the rather typical pearly appearance with two injected vessels.- does anyone have a guess as to what sounds like "two injected vessels might be.?  This lesion is on her lip.  ...

Medical Transcription - Detailed Description
Dec 13, 2009

I am attempting to write my Hardship letter.  In a rough draft, I was told I need to explain what I do more clearly and why voice recognition and outsourcing has caused a loss of income as an MT over the last 2 years.  I am struggling with this and have to have it submitted, signed and dated by Friday.  Can anyone who is articulate help me please?  Here is what I started with.  I will take out company names and leave blanks.  The attorney who read it said people wil ...

Inlet Device - Brand Name Or Description?-sm
May 31, 2010

"All 12 mm port sites were closed with the inlet device, using figureâofâeight 0 Vicryl stitches. " It's resection of a colon tumor and anastomosis using the da Vinci.  I've heard this before but can't find a definite answer:  Is it the "Inlet (brand) device" or "inlet (descriptor) device"?  Thanks. ...

Ambulation Description - Significant List?
Nov 23, 2010

The doctor is explaining the pt's ambulation due to lumbosacral spondylosis for which he is doing radiofrequency ablation for.  It s/l he is saying "list." With ambulation she has definitely got a significant (list) to the left side.  She can heel-and-toe walk without much difficulty, and her balance appears to be quite good.  Thanks! ...

Lymph Nodes Were Submitted For Surgial Pathology As Per The S/l Slide Key Description. TIA Nm
Dec 27, 2009

xx ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Workstation With A Good Pullout Keyboard Tray
Dec 04, 2014

that is wide enough for a wrist rest.  This needs to be in my bedroom so cant be too huge.  I like the tower off the floor also.  Thanks.  ...

2014 - Not A Good Year For This MT â But I Found A Good Fit (finally)
Jan 12, 2015

Rarely do I start discussion on mtstars - however, 2014 was a particularly challenging year for myself - an experienced MT/Editor (15+ years). However, I realize that many other MTs may be in the same position, i.e., having many years devoted to working at the Big MTSOs including âthe M,â and âthe Nâ and (now to be included) âthe Tâ following close behind in total numbers of MT/Editors on staff. (Hint: Sure most of you know the M, the N and the T - and the names have been int ...