A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Advice needed on coding career and getting my foot in the door - sm

Posted: Jul 25, 2011

So, I've been an MT for 8 years.  Previously, I did medical billing.  I am so burnt out from doing MT and having a dead-end job that I am working towards my AA degree in Health Information Management, then want to get my bachelor's, then would like to go to graduate school for Health Care Administration.  Anyway, if want to become a coder, as I am working my way up the HIM ladder, would it be wise for me to take a job in medical billing first?   I don't have any coding credentials yet, but I was just offered a medical billing job.  The job is better than my MT job now, but I am wondering if this will help me to be a coder some day soon?

Thanks

Coding is not billing, but - see longer answer

[ In Reply To ..]
It would help you to the extent that you see what happens to the codes after they leave the coders and are used in billing. It would help you to see the codes and recognize what they look like, but billing is nothing like coding, unless you are going to be a biller/coder in a dotor's office or small clinic. Then it would help you, of course. As far as helping you in a professional coding position in a hospital, no, it wouldn't help much, but it's a job. It certainly won't hurt!

Similar Messages:

One Foot Out The Door...
Jun 06, 2014

I have landed a part time job (going full time soon) at a Pain Clinic - doing transcription - starting pay $17.  My 35 years experience with radiology helped me get this position.   So much better than the measly 11 I get from here.  This clinic had outsourced and the reports were horrible so they have hired back for inhouse.  There are just 2 of us.  I can get my self esteem back that this place has sucked out of me.  There is hope.... ...

New Grad/Exc Work Ethic/ Needs Help/ Just Can't Get My Foot In The Door!
Oct 23, 2009

I need some help. I just recently graduated from an accredited school. They were supposed to have a  2 year apprenticeship program set up and ready to go when I graduated. It fell through. My instructors have told me there is no reason I can't find a job. I am also a licensed veterinary technician. I have years of medical experience and I breezed through my college courses. I have applied to over 200 jobs and nothing yet. My previous employer references praise me and wish I would have ...

Newbies Needing To Get Thier Foot In The Door
Jan 08, 2010

I have just under two years work and did alot of PRN and temp work and recently worked for a company that never paid me for the work that I did.  I am just wondering if anyone knows of or if anyone hires newbies since that is what I would be considered still im sure? I look forward to any information that I can get. Thanks so much for your time. ...

Advice Needed For MT Career Or Going Back To School...pls Read!
Nov 20, 2009

Hello! I'm hoping to get some good, sound advice about whether I should persue a career in med trans, or go back to school to finish my degree. I'm almost finished with MT school (MTEC) and plan to test/look for job(s) around February/March 2010. My boyfriend's income is our primary source of income, any I would make would be supplemental. I've been reading A LOT (perhaps too much) lately about the difficulty/hardships MTs have in making a decent living just doing MT. I ...

Coding - How Long Before Coders Are No Longer Needed?
Jul 29, 2012

As we're seeing, MT's are now going to VR and making less money and working longer hours.  How long before coders are no longer needed? Don't they have programs already that insert the codes? ...

Coding Career Question. Sm
Apr 21, 2010

I just responded above that I am researching schools now to change from MT to coding. However, after checking the want ads for about a month now there are hardly any ads for a coder. What other positions would a coder be qualified for? I am afraid to waste my time and money, only to get out of school and find there aren't any jobs available. ...

Career In Medical Coding?
Jul 22, 2011

I am considering training for medical coding but I don't want to spend the $$ if in a few years that industry goes the way of medical transcription with computers taking over our jobs and putting us out of work. I would welcome any and all information and opinions on this as well as recommendations for coding programs to enroll in. ...

Coding Career Question
Sep 22, 2011

What are the opportunities for coding within a specialty medical clinic, i.e. orthopedics?  I am currently halfway through a coding course and I feel like I would be happiest working within a clinic rather than a hospital.  I just wonder what opportunities exist and what the average salaries would be for outpatient coding within a clinic.  Do these jobs even exist?  Or would a job within a clinic also include billing and other related duties, not just coding reports all day ...

Career Step Coding Graduates.....
Mar 01, 2011

1.  How long did it take you to complete the course? 2.  Were you able to pass the certification exam? 3.  Are you working as a coder? 4.  Overall opinion on the career step coding course? Any info would be greatly appreciated.  TIA ...

Looking For Career Options, Exploring Coding
Jul 11, 2011

I walked into my community college and asked an advisor to give me a list of choices of careers I could study locally that would be quick. My sole purpose is to re-enter the working world as fast as possible. Medical Billing / Coding was one of the options. A friend reffered this site to me in response to an MT oportunity and, as if my prayers were answered, I noticed the Coding / Billing forum which has answered many questions. However, I have more, I always do. How d ...

Career Change - RHIT, Coding And LPN?
Aug 02, 2011

I've been an MT for 10 years but for the past year I have been in school working towards an AA degree in Health Information Management.  I would like to be an RHIT and do coding somewhere.  However, I like it but not enough to want to do this for the rest as my life as I am only 34.  I love the medical field and want to stay in it but am thinking of switching my major.  I think maybe switching to LPN and then eventually become an RN.  I think that I might enjoy working with people more ...

Am I Too Old To Start A Career In Medical Coding
Jan 30, 2013

Dear Friends: I am 56 and I am a medical transcriptionists of 11 years and I am very interested in broadening my career and pursuing a career in medical coding.   I am interested in the Andrew's School.   I have two questions.  My first is what is the future of medical coding, i.e., will it be done offshore in the future like transcription and will it be replaced by the EMR.  The second question is am I tool old for training& ...

Has Anyone Completed The Career Step Coding
Jan 17, 2015

feel you were adequately trained. How long did it take to complete? Any information would be appreciated. ...

Career Coding Step Grads??
Apr 21, 2015

Any Career Step grads on here who were able to get a good paying REMOTE job right after finishing the course? How long did it take you?  I know they only get you ready for the CPC and CCA (versus CCS).....and how soon after finishing were you able to sit for and pass the CCS?  ...

Career Step And AHIMA Coding Programs
Apr 29, 2010

What is your experience with either of these schools in terms of relevance, quality of instruction, materials used, preparation for exam and coding on-the-job, responsiveness of the school? I'm considering both and would really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you! ...

Do Any BOOKS Come With Career Steps Coding Program?
May 11, 2010

or is EVERYTHING on line.  Wondering how hard it would be to backtrack to study for exams? ...

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

And The Revolving Door
Jul 25, 2013

known as Probity places yet another ad.  I wonder what the average length of stay for their employees actually is?  Anyone here who has worked for this company longer than a year?  ...

How Many Of You Put Up A Do Not Distrub Sign On Your Door?
Oct 04, 2010

I am really tired of always being interrupted during the day by people so I made me a sign stating I am working and to please do not disturb.  How many of you have done this and does it help keep people from bothering you? ...

Storm Door Suture??
Oct 19, 2012

Cannot find a reference but sounds clearly like "storm door suture."   Surgery is a cold knife conization. ...

Some Seem To Think MQ Door Is KEEPING Them From Family Time, Decent
Oct 26, 2010

that door as an entry way to better things. Go through it to another job, one that fits you and your family better.  They are out there but it is not fun or easy to find them.  Some, it seems, would rather stay put and whine rather than go after what they want and deserve.  If it is worth having, be it a better job, better life, whatever, it is not gonna be handed to you and if it is worth it to you, it is worth working for. ...

Taking Test, Foot Pedal Issue - Report Begins Over Every Time I Lift My Foot!
May 27, 2010

I am taking a test for a company and have gotten as far as taking the transcription portion.  I downloaded their file (pedalplugin-win) but whenever I lift my foot off play, the tape rewinds to beginning.  I cannot rewind or FF and autoplay to 0 isn't registering. Can anyone suggest what I could do to? Thanks!!!!  I have 4 hours to complete test. ...

Foot Pain. Does Anyone Know If There Are Hand Controls Instead Of A Foot Pedal?
Aug 12, 2013

Nm ...

Foot Debridement S/l Bocasterile Foot Dressing
May 10, 2012

Operation of debridement for necrotic tissue.  "The patient's s/l bocastera/bocasterile foot dressing was applied." I'm bad on brand names (if this is one). Any operative expert MTs know what this might be?  Thanks. ...

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

"door Procedure" If Apex Is Thinned And Dyskinetic
Nov 10, 2009

anyone every heard of this? ...

Foot Pedal Without Foot?
Jul 11, 2013

Just wondered if anyone here had ever heard of a foot pedal that could be activated some other way than by pressing with your foot.  I have a handicapped friend who was hoping there was one that could be activated any other way.  Thanks ...

Difference Between A USB Foot Pedal And An Infinity Foot Pedal?
Sep 10, 2010

Is there a difference between a USB foot pedal and an Infinity foot pedal?  I have a part-time job that lists equipment needed as an infinity foot pedal, I have an USB one that worked fine to take the test, if there is a difference then I need to order one fast. Thanks. ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Certification In Coding Or AA Degree In Coding??
May 11, 2010

Is there really such a thing as an AA degree in coding?  Sounds odd to me.  Health administration or management, or RHIT I can see, but coding? Is it not better to just become Certified even if you dont have an AA degree? ...