A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Before you think all companies are evil... - jm0405

Posted: May 14, 2010

Not all companies are bad.  Through my 20 years of being an MT, I only have 2 companies I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy - Siance and Superior Global.  They are sweat shops, nothing less - nothing more.

The other companies?  I went through a period of being REALLY irresponsible when I started working at home.  It was easy to get sidetracked.  It took me about 5 years to get really focused.  The 15 years prior, I had a steady income with a job out of the house and the MT money was extra income.  When I started working at home 100% - YIKES!!  What a wake up experience that was!!  Discipline was tough for me.  In that period, I went through a ton of companies.  My fault - Never had anything bad or good really to say about them.  I had a few pet peeves like I felt some companies (Softscript and Breitner) had awful line counters and odd deductions that could cut your income down by 20% each paycheck.  QA was fine...but what about my money? LOL

There are odd companies out there - I mean one guy was a speed freak that would call all hours, he never slept, talked really loud in the phone and was over demanding and rude.  I left his company cause I figure in record time, hospitals will fire him.  I am sure they did since his company disappeared within a year later. 

There are some companies I am loyal to - PTC, Proscript and Focus.  I love those companies and I am thankful I have had the opportunity of working for them.  I left Focus after 4 years and 11 months because of Nuance bringing on new management that was losing accounts left and right.  I was laid off.  No big deal - I still appreciate what that company taught me.  Proscript has worked out very well for me with only a few glitches here and there.  No matter what, I will always be appreciative cause management took me back after I was homeless for a few months due to Superior Global not paying me and I started with Proscript too late in the game to remain in housing...timing was off. There's a lot of respect to be said for a company that took me back when they didn't have to. 

If it seems like I am some bitter, hateful person about companies, I am really not.  What it is - in the last, about 6 years, I have worked for 2 companies at a time so if one runs out of work, I still have income.  I keep my "pet" companies and have secondary income.  With this freedom, I will admit I am picky.  I mean when a company micromanaged and fired me for having to take a bathroom break - TTS - LOL - I am sorry but it had to be asked, I asked that sorry supervisor, "Would you have had coronary arrest if I had to take a sh*t?" I felt no guilt quitting/leaving that fine facility.  I also have left many companies over the years when their training leaves you with a check for $4.91 and the paper that check is printed on, the ink used, the stamp and envelope all cost more than your check itself. LOL! It's just the way I work things, I have room to be picky and settle for what I want.  I have been with Proscript for almost a year with a break in there for 3 months due to homelessness - I tried to retain hope for SGS and its work flow and that failed...but I didn't fail the company, the company failed to prove itself worthy in the 11 months I was employed there.  When a job makes you homeless, you don't need it - that's no job - that's them making money off you working for them for free. 

I am not some doom and gloom person.  I have my favorites.  I have others that are okay for others, but not me - Softscript - I couldn't get the line count up, but I know others who did just fine.  I didn't like Medquist because my checks were always late, but I did like having a 40-hour work week that paid me $14 an hour - was not paid by production.  Having a violent hubby that beat me cause he accused me of hiding my money from him when Medquist was paying me late, I had to quit the company.  My life was in danger and they refused to resolve that issue and pay me on time. 

I am not some wicked little person that speaks evil of all companies...in reality, there are many I don't care about.  They weren't worth the effort or they were so meaningless I forgot them.  The ones that stand out were the ones that just went overboard - don't pay, firing me over a restroom break...in retrospect, one can look back and laugh.  For all of you out there wondering what companies are worth working for, you will find them.  If one shoe doesn't fit, try another and another until you find a pair that won't rub blisters.  :)  Everyone has a different what's good, bad and ugly.  Take the people out of the equation and concentrate on if they pay, pay on time, have honest line counters, benefits, etc.  People?  You can work around just fine.  QA?  ALL THOSE OPINIONS...MAN!! HOW DO YOU GET AROUND THAT MESS???  Easy...Question?  Type your question, insert examples and send your email to all the QAs at the same time, in addition to your supervisor.  Trust me, you will get 1 answer with everyone quickly on the same page.  WELL, WELL, WELL - ONE LESS WORRY AND STRESSFUL THING...IMAGINE THAT... Cool

If a company doesn't pay you or pays you under minimum wage and you are an employee, not an IC, then I am all about filing unemployment supplemental benefits and sending paperwork to the Labor Board.  NOBODY WORKS FOR FREE!!!!  SWEAT SHOPS ARE FOR INDIA - NOT THE UNITED STATES!  Stand up for yourselves.  Nobody else can do it for you. 

No employer is perfect.  However, with teamwork, integrity, perseverance, hard work, communication, passion and flexibility, any MT and any company can be a great person or place.  It seems that sometimes the bashing comes easier than the compliments.  It happens.  People are mad because they aren't getting paid, had a low QA score, had a bad hair day at the salon, has unruly children, etc.  Walk in their shoes for a minute.  Are ALL companies that bad? Are ALL mad MTs that bad? No.  It's all about reacting to a circumstance and these online forums are a great place to blow off steam, vent, let go and share information so other great MTs avoid the mistake you made and you're currently beating yourself up over for wasting all that time and energy.  However, keep in mind, with these little events, we become wiser, stronger, more analytical and better prepared when something goes awry - we're better for it.  The whole industry is not that bad.  Not all QA or management is evil.  It just sometimes feels like it.

Felt like saying something positive...food for thought...boost morale a little maybe.

I identify with some of what you say... - cashstrapped

[ In Reply To ..]
There were two companies I left because starting out, I didn't have the discipline to work even a 4-hour part time shift, much less an 8-hour shift. I would give ANYTHING to be hired at one of those companies again. One company was great, always had enough work, and easy dictators, but I messed it up by getting sidetracked. I even applied again, but they didn't acknowledge my application.

Believe me, I have learned from my mistakes.

Be patient...they will take you back - jm0405

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for Softscript twice to see the 2nd time if I made a mistake for leaving. After enough time passes and your resume shows more stability and years of working for one company steadily, in the future, your ex-employers will give you another chance. Just takes time, patience, persistence and stability. Staying at Focus for almost 5 years worked wonders this year - opened doors for me, which I am grateful for. Hang in there!

thx - for taking the time

[ In Reply To ..]
to post your long-term experience with MT companies...very enlightening. I couldn't help but laugh at the TTS comment, especially since TTS has been a hot topic for the past 2 days.

I'm surprised to hear your experience with late checks at MQ. Getting our paychecks on time is one of the last good benefits remaining at MQ it seems.

Love that second to last paragraph!

I like your posts. They are honest and I can tell your a "real" person - Keeping it real

[ In Reply To ..]
You tell it the way you see it and do not candy coat the companies you have worked for nor yourself so thanks for posting.

Appreciate that! - jm0405

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks. Hope some of my stuff helps people. I couldn't imagine being a new MT today. I don't think I would make it more than 2 weeks! LOL! All the negativity...YIKES!! It's not that bad...you just have to be flexible, patient with yourself, work hard, learn to stay focused and things will fall into place in due time.

I also appreciate your posts. - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
If you really do want to go back to your past employer or one of them, keep trying. Their response will probably depend on if they have any openings at the moment. If you happen to apply when they need you, you'll probably hear from them. I'd probably try every 3 months until they either hire you again or tell you to stop. LOL.

Very nicely written. Thanks for your thoughtful message - Senior MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I can tell that you gave a lot of effort and thought to what you wrote. It touched my heart. Thanks for posting your story, the way you see it from your own experience, with your own personal style and class.

Thank you - jm0405

[ In Reply To ..]
jm

jm0405 -- Thanks... - utahmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for a very honest (and at times, funny: ''Would you have a coronary if...'') post! Inspiring post.

What a Nice Refreshing Post - MTPockets

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for taking the time to post this. I could not have said it as eloquently as you did, but you have said everything that is in my heart. Thank you for a nice, level headed, positive post!

Have a great day :-)

Similar Messages:

Locked Out - EVIL!
Mar 03, 2010

Now they're threatening to lock us out if we don't keep our schedules!  This company REALLY wants us to quit!  They are evil!!!  This is beyond stressful and beyond mean.  I really depend on this money, but I think it's time to look for another job.  I'm really sorry it's coming to this.  I really enjoy(ed) transcribing and feeling like I was doing something useful and worthwhile.  Now it's simply not worth it. : ( ...

The Fragile Empire Of The Evil Q
Mar 03, 2010

What fools.  The Evil Q have built their Empire upon a foundation of sand.  This last step, "First Time Right" (oh, and what a hoot that is!), is the final straw, the final flaw in this bombastic, sadistic machinery that is staggering towards the edge of the cliff.  The bankruptcy of Spheris should have been their warning.  But now, they are too foolish and drunk with power to see that they are heading right towards the cliff.  Punishing those who are making little but s ...

HI KIDS, ANY OLDIES STILL AT EVIL Q?
Apr 26, 2010

Just curious.com.net.org...... dot. dot.dot. dot................ WHY? ...

My Quality Coach Is Evil
Aug 10, 2012

Just sayin'. ...

I Feel So Good I Could Almost Come Back To Evil Q
Jan 07, 2010

Man am I kickin the bootie, I have not felt this good in 8 years, since my cervical block I had for my 3 disks in my neck.  Try it if you have neck pain.  This is not even in full effect and I am 75% better today.  Have another injection in 2 week, and it has only been 2 days.  YIPPEE.  Is evil Q hiring for SA3 or 4, I can do that plus my other workies full time.  I can do anything, for anybody.  I CAN DO ITTTTT!  HIRE ME, HIRE ME, HIRE ME. I can not even ...

Always See The Companies To Stay Away From, How About Companies To Go To?
Oct 23, 2012

I see many warnings about bogus companies but I need help to steer me to a good company or at least a company that is fair, hiring and gives a fair entrance test.  any ideas?   ...

Which Companies Use
Oct 11, 2009

Escription or ExEditor VR?  TIA! ...

What Is With These Companies?
Dec 30, 2009

Can anyone answer me why is it that these MT companies hire you and they all promise you the sun, moon and stars.  Oh we have TONS of work. We guarantee you at least 11 accounts and 2,500 lines a day. Then you are sitting there 6 months later, waiting for jobs? I have experienced this many times. Can it be that its just bad management and they overhire? Does anyone know of a company that really does have TONS of work? I know this is the slow time of year, but many times its happened at othe ...

IC Companies
Mar 01, 2010

Are there any companies left who hire strictly IC status, and if so, pros and cons? Thanks! ...

Why Do Companies Who Don't
May 05, 2010

pay us hourly anymore anyway make us punch an electronic time clock?  What's wrong with sending simple timesheets like we did for years?  It has no effect on our pay whatsoever since we aren't hourly and is only to cover their butts regarding overtime, so why do they go through all the nightmare of eTime?! ...

Any Companies Who Do Not Use VR? (sm)
Jun 02, 2010

The company I work for has gone VR (on most jobs).  I cannot make any money doing this.  My pay has been cut approximately $150 to $200 every two weeks.  They have already taken away the incentives, and now if you screw up a couple of times on demographics, you do not get paid for the job, and the third or fourth time you are pulled from the account.  I am just so frustrated.  This VR is killing me.  It takes more time to make corrections.  It is frustrati ...

Can Anyone Tell Me What Companies
Jun 11, 2010

hire newbies and which ones are the best to work for?  A friend of mine wants to start transcription - god help her : -) ...

Companies For New MTs
Aug 18, 2010

Can someone please point me to reputable links or companies who hire new (recently graduated/just out of school)  transcriptionists?  I don't want to apply to companies that aren't good to work for! Who are ones that you know of who hire right out of school and are good to work for?  I need something!! I can't take it?  I feel like I have applied to every company that I have found on the Internet with no response! Sorry if I'm venting, but it's just g ...

Are There Any Companies That
Aug 30, 2010

nm ...

Companies That Do Not Pay!
Sep 01, 2010

Getting so tired of hearing this!  We need to start a list online where MTs can go to check.  Any suggestions? ...

Can Someone Tell My Why Companies Do This?
Sep 30, 2010

So, I see it all of the time, people on here complaining about no work, yet the company they are complaining about is HIRING.  My job recently did this as well.  I am day after day running out of work, but yet I see an ad that they are hiring!  I e-mailed the owner and asked about it and she didn't reply.  I UNDERSTAND that they are hiring for a different account, BUT, since it's all transcribing, why not just move some people around and give those extra accounts to ...

I Just Have To Wonder About Companies That Say
Nov 13, 2010

they want ICs and then say they need them to work certain days and hours.  Will this be a problem?  Umm, yes!  lol!!  Some things never change. ...

What's Going On With Some Of These Companies??
Jan 19, 2011

I got an email yesterday telling me that I didn't meet the quota of 10,000 lines for the last pay period... well, duh...  There is not enough work.  Today I get an email asking how many times I checked on a new account yesterday because they had issues and actually never went live at all.  I responded to the email and my supervisor emails me back asking me if I'm hourly or on production.  huh??????    No work this morning either... just sit ...

Do The Other Companies Out There Have This Much ASR?
Mar 25, 2011

This is ridiculous!  I just was rehired again after being away for 2 years and I'm thinking I made a mistake!  I want to know if there are any other companies out there that let you JUST TYPE!  Would love to hear from someone who has left and is working for a different company as I think I have one foot out the door!  ...

What Companies Use DQS?
Mar 29, 2011

x ...

Companies Using XP
Apr 29, 2011

Periodically, I will cruise the MT help wanted, and see some companies that list the system requirements as "must have XP."  My question is this:  I wonder if they mean must have at least XP or do they mean MUST HAVE XP.  I find it difficult to believe that any system out there only works with XP, as Vista has been around for a good long while and even Windows 7 (which I wish DocQ would update to) has been out for a bit.  I mean, it would be very difficult to find a computer ...

Companies That Still Use FTP?
Aug 10, 2011

I am in need of a company that still uses FTP where you download a bunch of work at once, work on it, send it back, repeat :)  If you know of anyone and do not wish to post it, please feel free to email me. Thank you very much. ...

Are There Any Companies That Pay
Sep 11, 2011

Any companies that pay a premium for RMT and then help you progress to CMT? I realize this is probably a long shot, just curious anyway. ...

Companies That Use DQS
Oct 08, 2011

Can someone tell me the name of a few companies that use DQS other than the Squid and DSG?  I worked both those places and would not go back no matter what! ...

HI! Does Anyone Know Of Companies That Use
Jan 15, 2012

xxx ...

Any Companies Allow MAC Use?
Feb 23, 2012

Experienced MT looking for PT work but currently have a MAC with dual operating system (VMware Fusion) or Windows on a MAC.  Any info on companies that allow this, if any, would be greatly appreciated!  My choice would be NOT to have to buy a new PC unless I absolutely have to!  Thanks! ...

I Have To Wonder How These Companies Think We
Apr 13, 2012

can make it on $15 a day!!  I just started a week ago yesterday and have also run out of work twice.  This is really pathetic.  I know some on here say they would never take such a low paying job (4 for editing and 6 for straight typing).  Had I not been desperate, believe me I would not have either.  I have to wonder what happened.  I know I will get a lot of answers to that question, but why in the world are we the ones getting such lousy pay?  I am seriously ...

All Companies Are The Same. They All Want You To
Apr 23, 2012

guess if you cannot understand something.  Oh they won't tell you straight out to guess, but that is what they want you to do.  It is the same ole blame the MT mentality.  If the ESL is horrible, do not dare ask them to speak better.  MAke the MT guess and if SHE gets it wrong, it is on HER head.  No thank you!!  God what I would not do to find something else:))) ...

Are All Companies Going To VR?
May 21, 2012

My pay has been cut by more than half and I'm working longer hours due to VR on most accounts.  Well, when I have work anyway.  Are there any companies that hire for straight typing any longer? How do people live on this work now? I had to come back to my verbally abusive husband due to no money and I was literally starving.  This is all I know, have been an MT now for 20 years.  What to do............ ...

What Gets Me About Certain Companies
May 25, 2012

is when they post an ad for help.  I send my resume clearly showing my experience for the job and they never even contact me, even putting up another ad.  This just gets me!! ...