Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Getting out of the biz. - MTSO

Posted: May 16th, 2018 - 9:10 pm

FINALLY!  Getting to retire come September.  We've been running this MT business for over 20 years.  Saw all the ups and downs. 

My husband and business partner had a massive stroke in 2012, and then I had to do it all myself - didn't convince me.  Husband diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2013 - didn't convince me.  My personal scare with lung cancer - almost convinced me.  Husband's recurrence of prostate cancer these last few months.  Okay.  Now I'm convinced.  Turning 65 in July.  Selling my business as of September 1st.  Getting out of the biz to spend quality time, whatever is left of it, with Hubby.  Selling the business to someone who I know will carry out our tradition of quality service and selling the house and moving to Costa Rica for our next, and quite possibly our last, great adventure.

My lesson to you all is to follow your dream.  Yes, you can.  Didn't think we could but we are doing it.  We're moving on.  You are unhappy in your situation - move on.  I didn't think I could do it.  Never dreamed I would ever "retire", but found out in a few short years that life is too short and it throws you curves that you never expected and will lead you on a path you never thought you would be on.

Also, after these many years of reading the comments on this forum, I have to say to all of you who lump all MTSOs in the same barrel - screw you.  We put our hearts, souls and blood into this business that we, my husband and I, built from the ground up.  I've treated my workers right, paid fairly.  You think we're all greedy?  I put my people before myself and was late on our own personal bills in order to make sure that my people were paid these last 20+ years that we have been running this ma and pa shop.  Please don't look at all of us like Nuance or any of those other bastards that take advantage of you hard working, dedicated people.  I've read all these posts for many, many years.  I sympathize with you, but at the same time, I read remarks on how we're all greedy - in it for the money and take advantage of our workers.  I say to all of those people, go ahead and try to run your own business.  It's not for the feint of heart.  Many nights I've been awake trying to figure out how to make ends meet, how to keep my clients satisfied so they wouldn't leave and to keep my people paid on time.

Wishing you all the best and if I've learned anything, it's follow that dream of yours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)