Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance Today's Top Viewed: gall bladder surgery.. (Views: 63)

Hard to believe - Former programmer

Posted: Aug 6th, 2017 - 11:34 am In Reply to: I find it hard to believe - they did not have a plan B

I was also a programmer (systems analyst actually) in an IT department at one of our local hospitals for a number of years. We had a Disaster Recovery Plan in place where EVERYTHING from PHI to programs to employee data was backed up EVERY NIGHT and taken off site EVERY NIGHT. We had a contract in place with IBM (the mid-range computer system we had was bought through them) in which we had access to one of THEIR mid-range computers to use if needed in the event of a disaster and also had access to a huge generator system in case of power outage. So, at the very worst, we would possibly lose 24 hours of patient and/or employee data and the doctors could still get an electronic record/transcription done. THAT is so much easier to recover than something that is days, weeks, months old that has NOT been backed up. Of course, we also made sure the latest and greatest patches were installed as soon as they were available.

All of this has run through my mind since Nuance's problems. Were they all asleep at the switch ? How bad were their backups (if any LOL) that they could not have been back up and running within a 2 or 3 day period ? I understand that comparing Nuance to my one piddly local hospital isn't fair. However, the concept remains the same. It has ALL boiled down to money. Money "saved" by the whiz kid hospital administrator(s) for making the decision to outsource their transcription/data management jobs and money "saved" by Nuance by not having some kind of disaster plan in place and USING it.

I for one am not sorry to see Nuance taken down a peg or 2. Will it matter in the end ? No I don't think so. At the very worst, Nuance goes under (at least the transcription end of their business) and we're all without jobs. I'm not waiting around to continue to be treated like trash. I've got another job to go to that's totally out of MT and running as far away from this hot mess as I can !

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)