Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

That's very true it is not commonplace yet - XQC

Posted: Sep 5th, 2015 - 11:25 pm In Reply to: Thanks - for sharing this

But there may be more than you think even now. There are "customer service" organizations that are completely home-phone/computer based. Like us, you work out of your home and off of your computer. You get a call for a company from a customer with an issue, you enter that company's database and fix the issue. You might have several companies to serve on your shift.

Any service that can be performed on a computer or on a phone can be done from a private residence or a call center, which places like India and the Philippines have cashed in on. Work goes to offshore call centers because they have lower operating costs, mostly through lower wages. A person in a private residence or a call center can do the same job. Just today I had to deal with CompuServe customer service, guess where - India. It was all I could do to say "hey, one of you a**holes just took my job," but I digress...

I know what you're saying, most of the virtual work that goes on now is just an adjunct to a regular job, like staying home on a snow day and working on the computer, or using the internet as just part of the job. But already we see these offshore centers picking up on tons of virtual work. Just Google "work at home" and see what comes up, you might be surprised. Tech support, customer service, medical coding, grant writing, general transcription, the list goes on and gets larger all the time. It has taken a while to get going, but I think it is slowly starting to build. Employers are even now looking at this and saying "wow, we can hire people and not give them any benefits, hire them at-will and make a fortune without having any accountability." There is a new employment world forming out there thanks to the internet, and workplace ethics and protections have to keep up with the changing times. Maybe we can help with that :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)