Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

Thanks - for sharing this

Posted: Sep 5th, 2015 - 8:48 pm In Reply to: An Interesting Development - part 2 - XQC

I've been waiting to see the outcome of your meeting and am grateful that you got an audience with an influential person. It sounds to me like you expressed our concerns very well.

I have a question, though. You say, "...the virtual workplace is the trend of the future." People have been saying that for (to my knowledge) at least 20 years, and the technology certainly exists, yet the virtual workplace hasn't become a reality the way I would have expected.

I've been an MT for 25 years, 20 years from home for national services. Prior to that I was in telecommunications, and I absolutely believed that working from one's residence would be the norm by now, but I don't think I've EVER met anyone outside of MT who had a legitimate FT job working from home. I mean, I know party planners and caterers and Avon reps and such, but never a person who actually worked a 40+-hour work week without ever having met any other employee of the company. Will the virtual workplace ever become a common reality, or are employers generally too controlling to allow it? What's the holdup? I've always wondered...

I do know people who work for large corporations who occasionally work from their homes for the day but are expected to have an in-house presence for the majority of their work activity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)